Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ -STer's please respond if you feel the same way [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think anyone is proposing that the "moderators" would come up with new rules, just help Dan enforce the existing rules. Realistically, unless Dan is here every minute, some folks will ignore the rules and do as they wish. Therein is the problem.

The OT threads don't get moved to the LR or deleted until they're already dead (inactive) anyway. Essentially, unless Dan is present at all times, there are no rules. Read into that whatever one wants. IMO, it's an excellent case study in 'adult' behavior.

The proposition is that some folks that are on here all the time could move the OT threads to the off-topic forum, accomodating Dan's wishes/rules, allowing Dan to 'not worry about it'.

It's fascinating how complicated & involved this seemingly ultra-simplistic situation can become. It's as if Dan saying "Put the off topic stuff in the off-topic forum" is a mystery that can be interpreted hundreds of ways. Rather than complying or transfering, people are choosing to ignore the rules b/c Dan chooses not to spend every minute on the forum transferring/deleting threads.

Enough outta me, back to the research paper.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ -STer's please respond if you feel the same way [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I can think of no person, not even Monty, who would moderate with the same discretion.
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ -STer's please respond if you feel the same way [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good speech. I agree.

------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.GetEndorFit.com
Personal Training and Sports Conditioning
------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ -STer's please respond if you feel the same way [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly, that's why Ironjack is stupid. This is a commercial enterprise. Note the advertising?[/reply]

Unless your tongue is planted firmly in cheek...you're a fool. Calling Ironjack stupid is foolish. He's got a perfectly defensible position. If you really can't see that you are a fool. And this is a commercial enterprise for only one person... Dan. And in light of that if he chooses to clamp down on what people can and can not post he will lose forum members by the droves and thereby drive the worth of his commercial enterprise into the gutter. Do you really think Dan would do that? I don't. Please, life is a constant assault on our freedom of expression. Do we really need an fucking triathlon forum to add to that? So, everyone, post on!!!
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ -STer's please respond if you feel the same way [ironjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Never going to happen. The real strength and appeal of the Forum is the ability to freely express one's self. Editing or removing responses only inhibits the postings. That's not what stimulates "healthy" debate. Price of living in a Democracy. The real way we as participants of the Forum can police "ourselves" is simply to ignore the posting and don't respond. With the volume this Forum gets, the odious topic in question quickly falls from the first and then second page until it's "buried" by more current and appropriate postings.

Jack

Total BS. Can you think of a single post that was worthwhile (i.e., in line w/ Dan's rules) that would've EVER been edited? Negative. EVERYONE worth having as a posting member knows what would fall to Dan's (or any moderator's) axe. There would be no impingement of healthy debate.

Policing ourselves is a noble concept, and perfectly fine, so long as members understand that the signal to noise ratio will be significantly higher.

Hey Monk, solid post re: scoring the other thread. Very solid!

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ -STer's please respond if you feel the same way [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"EVERYONE worth having as a posting member knows what would fall to Dan's"

I can GUARANTEE you that your definition of "EVERYONE worth having" will differ from mine, and differ from Monty's, and differ from Tom D's, or anyone else, for that matter. Who would you pick? What happens when you disagree with that person? Do you go running to Dan and cry foul?

We are all different. We all have different sets of opinions. And we are ALL jackasses sometimes.

Frankly, I think Dan has a firm finger on Chaos theory...
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ [johnthesavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I nominate Hazen.

Now that was funny. Thanks for the laugh.
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ -STer's please respond if you feel the same way [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The same goes for the endless discussions about George Bush and all that other dreck over there, too.

Nice word and one which I had never come across before.

Main Entry:dreck
Variant:also drek \*drek\
Function:noun
Etymology:Yiddish drek & German Dreck, from Middle High German drec; akin to Old English threax rubbish
Date:1922

: TRASH, RUBBISH
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ -STer's please respond if you feel the same way [ironjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IRONJACK IS A GOD!!!!!!

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ [Erik Clark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would any of my altered pictures get removed? I work very hard on "Cropped Monk Heads"
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ [KJGrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what I read, its the OT threads, not OT posts, that are being complained about. And I agree, FWIW.

So if I start a thread that says: Hey Guys, how come when I ride my PowerTap on the Computrainer on a flat course, my PT is average watts is consistently 4 watts lower than the Computrainer average watts, and then you respond with "Hey let's do the Pub Crawl on December 17th in Clermont", then that is OK, but not the other way around.
Last edited by: Monk: Dec 10, 05 20:17
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What does OT mean anyway? Is it "outta-town"? I am away in Virginia so I am definitely way OT!
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ [KJGrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Would any of my altered pictures get removed? I work very hard on "Cropped Monk Heads""

They better not be, those are my favorite posts!!!

Especially the Eganski Jellies....huge in Clermont (especially the Tri-America and Escape from Florida lakes!!!) gulp...
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I missed the eganski jellies--where is that one?
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not sure if this works, but I think I found it:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=595362;search_string=KJGrog;#595362
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ -STer's please respond if you feel the same way [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's your opinion and you're stuck with it!

Jack
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ -STer's please respond if you feel the same way [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jay

Sounds like a good idea. What drama!

Another great day. Bob

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everybody is missing the real issue: The Government has failed to provide one of its basic services: providing for the public safety and tranquility. Since the government has failed, maybe the private sector should become involved. It's the classic government v. private sector debate, where to draw the line between the two?

Another way to state the premise of this thread: who's gonna watch the watchdog when the watchdog is asleep or has gone roaming?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"EVERYONE worth having as a posting member knows what would fall to Dan's"

I can GUARANTEE you that your definition of "EVERYONE worth having" will differ from mine, and differ from Monty's, and differ from Tom D's, or anyone else, for that matter. Who would you pick? What happens when you disagree with that person? Do you go running to Dan and cry foul?

We are all different. We all have different sets of opinions. And we are ALL jackasses sometimes.

Frankly, I think Dan has a firm finger on Chaos theory...

Nah, that's proof you don't get what I said. Allow me to repharse. EVERYONE worth having on the forum can know what the rules are -- hell, they are written out -- and obey them. People who choose to disobey those rules aren't worth having on the forum, by definition, because they are either arrogant a-holes or just plain stupid.

Disagreeing, arguing, fightin'. Hey, that's all cool. So long as it's reasonably on-topic. No reason to run to Dan for that.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ -STer's please respond if you feel the same way [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed Bob. Got in a run and swim this morning (surf sucked) and have the Tinsel Tri tomorrow. Looks like a new swell tomorrow!
Sorry to hijack the thread...back to our drama....

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ -STer's please respond if you feel the same way [Sir Velo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, you have a point IF this Forum was really a government entity but in fact it is privately owned. The owner feels comfortable with a "non-interference" policy and that works for me.

Now if this were government controlled then when election time came, you could vote those "in charge" out. The more radical of us would start a revolution. But alas back to reality, the site is privately owned. However despite what some have already expressed, self policing is a viable option and then it becomes incumbent upon all of us to keep the site clean and upscale.

Then again, if you look at some of the posts on the site and consider the number of unidentified people posting, you could draw the conclusion that this site is really used by a lot of frustrated folks who would be beating their wives or tourching animals but instead take their frustrations out on the rest of us.
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ -STer's please respond if you feel the same way [AndrewJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with the the "moderators" idea 100%...and I know that some of my posts would be removed...and have in the past. But, we need someone to control cock milkers like "D"

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ -STer's please respond if you feel the same way [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That doesn't mean those contributing to the site can't act with decorum and good manners. There are bounds with which we all can live within and when they are breached, intelligent people react to stem such breaches. Like in this case, where I should ignore your less then intelligent comments but feel the need to remind you of your lack decorum. Too bad you can't comprehend such complex thoughts.

Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Too bad you can't comprehend such complex thoughts.

I declare you not worth arguing with.

P.S. Erik Clark baited me into every dispute I have had today. When will I learn to not let myself be manipulated by this little mischief maker?
Last edited by: Monk: Dec 10, 05 23:04
Quote Reply
Re: SLOWMAN - PLEASE READ -STer's please respond if you feel the same way [AndrewJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think NO to any "thought police". Do you really suppose this forum's content will make or break lives cause financial, personal, and physical damage? Your note indicates hysteria to me.

Quote:
which is not only damaging to those indicated (cut), it is damaging to him both on a personal, financial and possibly physical damage level (cut) - but also importantly - it is damaging to the continuance and good standing that this forum has globally, within the tri world.

I'm not a lawyer, but you imply there are threads that might not be legal. So I suppose one of the Slowtwitch thought cops would have to be well versed in law. Of course there should be an appeal board too I suppose.... To be fair the Cops would have to be impartial and selected from the "outside". They probably want compensation as I doubt this would qualify as a charity. To really be fair there would have to be a forum for both sides to layout their cases. How else can one judge if a post was legal? Lots of investigation here..... see where this goes?

Quote:

have a suggestion - which may assist you somewhat in ensuring thread content and topic is suited to, relevant and even legal, on Slowtwitch.
I'll bet most people can see right through the specific thread that you refer to and the general threads you wish to protect the world from. That one is clearly authored by someone immature. It gives insight into who they really are versus the person you get to know for a few hours at a triathlon.
Quote Reply

Prev Next