Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Road Cycling Gloves: Yes or No?
Quote | Reply
I have never liked riding with fingerless gloves during Spring/Summer.

Just bought a new pair for the trainer to help collect sweat and keep the hoods from getting soaked. But still don't think I will transfer back to outdoors.

Do most of you wear gloves?
Quote Reply
Re: Road Cycling Gloves: Yes or No? [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. And if riding in a group, eventually you're going to hit the deck and having gloves will seem a really really good idea.

I use different ones for road and MTB, prefer more padding pff-road. On-road the minimalist without the velcro on the back - giro make some good ones that suit my hand shape/size.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a steep descent at the end of IM Lanzarote which I feared a bit: especially with sweaty hands on this TT-bullhorns. A friend advised to put on gloves, which I normally do not do in races. This time I was very happy to wear some: it gave me more grip and a better feeling on that descent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to prefer riding no-gloves on the road. By chance, I was wearing gloves - relatively thick, padded ones - on the day a rider swerved into me, sending me sliding down a hill at 50+kmh. I was bruised, my thumb broke, I lost skin all over - but my hands were intact, the padding worn to the last thread.

Never rode my roadbike without gloves since. I like medium-padding on the road, and ultralight on the MTB, preferably with no velcro. I still ride triathlon races without, but except for brick/simulation training I train with gloves.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aside from when it’s cold, I hate wearing gloves.
I Can see the point in protecting the hands when Racing and there’s a chance to crash. But for training, no.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always wear gloves when I ride outside but never indoors. I just drape a towel over the brake hoods.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every ride,indoors and out.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Cycling Gloves: Yes or No? [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride full finger gloves year round. During warm temps, I sport Supacaz, which provide nice grip, airy, and bling to the hands. These gloves have no pads - I despise padding for any riding as it interfere with my grip.

Back in the day when I raced cribs, I wore UnderArmor football gloves for the inevitable crash. I once slid across pavement palms down for a few feet and gloves were still intact.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once you have crashed at speed without gloves you will always wear gloves.
Skin loss on the hands is quite debilitating, it is really hard to stop using your hands.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Cycling Gloves: Yes or No? [joj4444] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
joj4444 wrote:
I always wear gloves when I ride outside but never indoors. I just drape a towel over the brake hoods.

Exactly what I do. Never considered wearing gloves indoors, but all of my gloves are very minimal to begin with, and I only wear them to protect during crashes and for grip when very sweaty.

Indoors it's a hand towel on each hood.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Cycling Gloves: Yes or No? [brasch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brasch wrote:
I Can see the point in protecting the hands when Racing and there’s a chance to crash. But for training, no.

There’s always a chance for a crash, training or racing. Since most of the miles ridden are in training odds are it’s going to happen then vs a race (which are usually on closed course and non drafting)

For me
Trainer - no gloves, towel on hoods
Training - always gloves tri bike or road bike no matter group or not
Racing - I skip gloves here for triathlons to save time in transition but I probably shouldn’t. Road bike racing I wear gloves

I also used to never wear gloves and then read how bad a crash can be on your hands. Bought some and not 30 days later they saved me.

They saved me again this past year when I feel turning onto an unexpected gravel road at 20mph on my tri bike. That one would have been reallllly bad
Last edited by: Tribike53: Jan 23, 22 5:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On tri bike, No.

Every other bike, Yes.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Cycling Gloves: Yes or No? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
On tri bike, No.

Every other bike, Yes.

Yup. Except there is no such thing as a tri bike. It's a TT or pursuit bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Cycling Gloves: Yes or No? [Tribike53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I mean Racing, obviously on a Road bike with other people.
As for crashing in other scenarios, doesn’t happen to me. Really, I dont remember the last time a had a solo crash, so no reason to wear gloves, other than cold fingers.
The few times I’ve tried it, it didn’t really increase comfort for me either
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brasch wrote:

I am the exact opposite.

I always wear gloves during training rides, but would not during a race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brasch wrote:

Same.

There's something about wearing gloves. Driving gloves, bouncers with gloves on, two gloves in golf, gloves for lifting weights etc. - seems like overkill.

I think it used to be a bourgeoisie thing to make sure no one might think you actually *had* to work with your hands. I've had huge callouses on my hands my whole life and am not ashamed of it at all.

Road rash on your hands sucks, but hot sweaty hands and taking them on and off also sucks.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Cycling Gloves: Yes or No? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on the race. If it’s triathlon, never. Criterium, always, as the chance of crashing because of someone else is much bigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brasch wrote:
As for crashing in other scenarios, doesn’t happen to me.

The quote that comes to mind is “there are two kinds of cyclists. Those that have crashed and those that will”
Quote Reply
Re: Road Cycling Gloves: Yes or No? [Tribike53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everything becomes a total pain when you have abraded and cut-up hands. Abraded and cut-up hands also take forever to heal. Ask me how I learned this. Also, my hands tend to get slippery when I'm sweating. As a result, I wear gloves always when riding road and MTB. I like lightweight, minimal, non-padded gloves with stretch fit backs (no Velcro). Handup makes good cheap gloves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gloves all the time in outdoor training.

Not for races or trainer.

Gloves save you from road rash, can keep your hands warm on cooler days and most have a felt thumb pad to wipe sweat. Better grip and comfort as well. No reason to not use them for training.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Cycling Gloves: Yes or No? [cielo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cielo wrote:
joj4444 wrote:

Exactly what I do. Never considered wearing gloves indoors, but all of my gloves are very minimal to begin with, and I only wear them to protect during crashes and for grip when very sweaty.

Indoors it's a hand towel on each hood.

I have never worn them but might start. For minimalist, what do you recommend?
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Jan 23, 22 13:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The argument that you might crash so wear gloves is absurd. Might as well wear body armour too.

I never wear gloves on my TT bike.

I wear TT gloves (minimal padding and covers wrist) for every other type of riding.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Cycling Gloves: Yes or No? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
The argument that you might crash so wear gloves is absurd. Might as well wear body armour too.

I never wear gloves on my TT bike.

I wear TT gloves (minimal padding and covers wrist) for every other type of riding.

I assume you ride without a helmet? Many MTB do wear body armor…
Last edited by: Tribike53: Jan 23, 22 13:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would probably never wear gloves again if I wasn't riding and racing in the cold. Gloves feel like diapers, especially when wet. Value wise, I've never met a fingerless glove that held up to regular use, particularly aggravating when they're $$$.

As to protecting your hands, occasionally I miss them in cyclocross, if I'm really punching the posts. Maybe in MTB? Would they really matter if you clip a tree? On pavement they offer minor protection from road rash, but that risk is not worth it to me. I also suspect that truly surfing pavement with your palms will lead to bilateral thumb spica casts for broken scaphoids. A little ointment and any road rash will heal before the casts come off.

When I do wear gloves it's because my hands are cold. Most gloves suck for that, too.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Cycling Gloves: Yes or No? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
jaretj wrote:
On tri bike, No.

Every other bike, Yes.

Yup. Except there is no such thing as a tri bike. It's a TT or pursuit bike.

I can see where that could be argued. I don't think my Felt IA is a legal TT bike but likely ok in local events.
Quote Reply

Prev Next