Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Resolution: Guys Who Wear Swimming "Jammers" Have Issues!
Quote | Reply
Observations from "The Aquatic Center."

I was watching my daughter's swim practice this afternoon at one of our "fancy" fitness gyms and swimming centers. I swim across the street where the price is cheaper.

It was interesting to note ONCE AGAIN, from my keen empirical research, that the guys wearing "jammers" were much slower than the ones wearing the speedo swimming briefs. I clocked them. Some of you slower swimmers just go ahead and bite the bullet and go "Skimpy." I swear I have the numbers behind this. It can't hurt. As a general rule, guys who wear the skimpy suits stomp the living daylights out of the "jammer" wearers.

Here's the deal, though. The "Jammer" guys also look afraid and ashamed and mortified to even walk out and swim in the "jammers," in the way in which they held their towels and what not. They want to be clothed for some reason. This may be a "southern" thing. I'm not sure.

If they got caught in a pinch, they'd probably just as well wear those long, baggy Bannana Republic trunks, if they didn't weigh them down 40 pounds in the water. So, right off the bat, they've got this nagging psychological hang up about being out there, bare to the world, too much for them, even in a "jammer." God forbid anyone from his work or a female friend were to swoop out to the pool from the aerobics class and catch him in his "jammers."

What are they hiding?

Is it a moral Victorian, prudish thing? Possibly.

But some "Jammers" wear "jammers" because, okay, let's get this over with, they have overlapping gut flaps, that a skimpy suit would just morbidly expose. Or, maybe they have "size issues."

All in all, all strikes against you.

A true, veteran swimmer is generally sheen-like, polished, and wired to go like a shaved terrier dog, he will walk un-strutfully out to the deck in his skimpy speedo, without giving a thought in the world that he is wearing barely nothing, exposed to the world. He waits for the clock and goes. He was probably a "Jammer" wearer at one time, but no longer. He has lost his innocence. Everything must be peeled off and skimped for speed. If a friend catches him in his "skimps," well screw it, so what? "Hey, what's going on?" "How are you doing?" "I've got to get these lasps in?"

But there's another being out there, I hate to report. He was waiting on a lane. He's the lowest on the food chain.

This was the triathlete swimmer guy in the Desoto Unisex shorts, with the big bag full of Zoomer fins, and Aqua Vision Ironman goggles. Slow as shit. But tricked out, with everything from tri-zone.com or triathlete magazine. He just reeked "I do triathlons." Have you seen these guys?. I was watching that guy more than anybody else, because that was me several years ago. I wish somebody would have told me how stupid that looked. He was sort of agitated about "waiting on a lane," and I wanted to walk over there and tell him, "you ain't shit, and your nickname ain't even doo-doo." A good triathlete blends into each sport in his community with the best ones, wearing what swimmers swim in, or what bikers bike in, or what runners run in. You can't tell him from the skimpy speedo swimmers when he swims, and you can't tell him different from the good runners, when he's running, and so on.

He's incognito.
Quote Reply
Re: Resolution: Guys Who Wear Swimming "Jammers" Have Issues! [boothrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Booth,

I admit, I'm a jammer swimmer, have been for years. Why do I wear a jammer? Because I have black shorts on underneith that jammer, and I'm saving the world the displeasure of seeing that, as well as myself the issue of shaving all the way up (I'm afraid of getting ingrown hairs).

BTW, the fastest swimmers at my pool (sub 5 min 500) all wear drag suits for practice, the black, square leg nylon mesh variety.

Caleb
Quote Reply
Re: Resolution: Guys Who Wear Swimming "Jammers" Have Issues! [boothrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"A good triathlete blends into each sport in his community with the best ones, wearing what swimmers swim in, or what bikers bike in, or what runners run in."

Bravo. I couldn't agree more. I wish to god that this described me, alas, it does not. I wear jammers. It's not out of modesty, I'd rather swim naked. Speedos and me just don't work, especially if my legs ain't shaved. What I still don't get is triathletes and hydration. Guys, if you're going for a ride, you just don't need two bottles on the frame, two behind the seat, and a bottle between the aerobars. I'm not kidding. I see this all the time. The more high-zoot the bike, the more likely it is to be loaded like a camel. What gives?? It's OK to fill up on a training ride. Honest. Have some freaking self respect. Don't train in tri shorts. Don't train in tri tops. That stuff is for racing. We are a community of total geeks. I don't mean this in a good way. You can always spot a triathlete on a run. He's bound to be wired up like the bionic man meets bubble boy. Do you really need GPS to get in a 4 mile run??? WTF??? Does the effectiveness of our training really rely on a constellation of satellites?? Who can we blame if we roll an ankle...NASA???

You're making me really rethink the jammers thing. (I'm quite slow.) Maybe I'll break out my speedo for masters tomorrow. It's a size too small.
Quote Reply
Re: Resolution: Guys Who Wear Swimming "Jammers" Have Issues! [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm joking, people. Kind of. I wear Jammers, too. Most of the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nonsense. More coverage = more faster. Look at Thorpe in that bodysuit. I say show up with one of those on and impress the poolmates.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: Resolution: Guys Who Wear Swimming "Jammers" Have Issues! [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah. I just tried on the ole hammock. I remember now why I don't wear it to the pool. (Though it is nice to wear around the house.) If you guys piss me off enough, I just might post a photo.
Quote Reply
Re: Resolution: Guys Who Wear Swimming "Jammers" Have Issues! [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not talking about high-tech garment micro fibers, or body suits here, Aztec.

I have the numbers, the science, the "white paper," the statistics, and the field data, to support my thesis that "jammer wearing" swimmers, during casual daily, swim training, are beaten like a red headed step child by skimpy speedo wearers.

You need to go ahead and cross over to the Skimpy side.

That or meet your doom.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It just now occurred to me that the good ones here "RUN" and "BIKE" in them, too.

Off to bed...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pooks et al.,

Well, you have just described me in all respects. I wear jammers for the same reason, if I wear Speedo's the bad leg shaving shows through with jagged lines of areas I couldn't reach. It just works better in those...

As for water bottles, some of us sweat a lot. I mean a whole lot. Hoover Dam has contacted me and my ilk to see if they can harness the vast amounts of water that we sweat. On a 4 hour bike ride I can easily go through 4 bottles and still be dehydrated. Even when it is 50 degrees outside!

And as for the ultimate and geekiness, I often wear BOTH a GPS and the Polar 625x! LOL! Yes, geeky beyond repair, but I really, really like the way TrainingPeaks.com puts the course map on the aerial photo. (After I run the route once, I don't wear the GPS anymore though.) And if I can't show data on a workout, have I really even done the workout?

I have a dream that triathletes will one day rise up and and live out the true meaning of our creed "swim, bike, run". A dream that that we embrase our strange ways. I have a dream. A dream where all the swimmers and runners and bikers can come together in one - oops, sorry wrong speech... But, really, is it SO bad? Now I agree in some respect - I swim in jammers, true, but at least not tri shorts (though I have done this on laundry day) and I don't take much to the pool in terms of training gear except sometimes paddles; I bike in bike shorts and a bike jersey (because the racing jersey makes me look a bit too pudgy at present); but, please, don't mess with my gadgets! That is half the fun!!!

Tilden

----------
"...it should be swim, bike, run, cage fight." - el fuser
"I noticed that I am in your sig line! Wow! That's s first for me. Thanks." - Fleck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I usually swim in DeSoto Tri shorts, but it's because Speedos wear out so fast. If you buy the Tyr bun-huggers (who here is old enough to remember when they were called that?) in solid colors, they're nylon and last longer. I have a couple pairs of those that I reserve for racing, because their skimpy and fit really tight; they don't bag like speedos.

Tri shorts get worn, but don't become transparent... Well, they do, but all people can see is the pad or diaper, not your Johnson and not your hairy butt. Besides, tri shorts are like a drag suit, if only just a little bit.

Personally, I don't think they should be allowed to sell Speedos in anything bigger than size 34.

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Ooh, yeah! all right!
We’re jammin’:
I wanna jam it wid you.
We’re jammin’, jammin’,
And I hope you like jammin’, too" - Bob Marley

LOL.

I wear "Jammers". Not a fan of the Speedo - never have been.

------------------------------------------------------------
Searching for the bliss of ultimate exertion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
<< Yeah. I just tried on the ole hammock. I remember now why I don't wear it to the pool. (Though it is nice to wear around the house.)

yeah, I'm sure Cindy just loves that. You trying to get her to leave? ;-)

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe it's lost in the transatlantic translation but.......

What the hell are "Jammers" ?????????????????

Stu

Never knowingly exceeding my own expectations!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
is this resolution on the USAT ballot?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Resolution: Guys Who Wear Swimming "Jammers" Have Issues! [Jiggery Pokery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

------------------------------------------------------------
Searching for the bliss of ultimate exertion.
Quote Reply
Re: Resolution: Guys Who Wear Swimming "Jammers" Have Issues! [callidus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Now I see!

Nope...I'm deffo a speedo's chap...tho my wife cringes with embarassment when she see's me at the pool side from the gym window that overlooks the pool.....and she nearly throttled me when I attempted to wear them by the pool when we were on our hols earlier this year!

Stu

Never knowingly exceeding my own expectations!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
        This I saw in the newspaper a few years ago; "Less than 5% of men in America think think they look good in Speedos". And remember of that 5% there are quite a few who think the do but (phew) don't.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Resolution: Guys Who Wear Swimming "Jammers" Have Issues! [Cousin Elwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Personally, I don't think they should be allowed to sell Speedos in anything bigger than size 34.

This gives me a frightful image of people trying to cram their body into size 34 speedos.
Last edited by: Ray J: Jan 19, 05 5:18
Quote Reply
Re: Resolution: Guys Who Wear Swimming "Jammers" Have Issues! [Ray J] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jammers are ingrown hair makers...

Not only should they not sell Speedos in anything bigger than size 34, they should also sell triple-lined models. I don't need to see the details down there...

Why would someone want to do all their training miles in a comfy pair of gel shorts, then switch to a minimalist pad for a race? Seems like the bike is one place when less is not always better. I make the switch to tri shorts several weeks out to get used to them. Haven't got the wrist GPS yet, although I do have a satellite dish mounted behind my saddle. Keeps me from carrying too much water and looking like a geek...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are "jammers"? I have never heard of such things.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear a swimsuit that looks like a pair of baggy gym shorts. If I decided to race masters, I would probably wear the same type of suit just to make 40 something guys wearing tiny lycra suits and shaving down for something as meaningless as a masters' meet look even more foolish than they have already made themselves.

Even when I swam competitively, I usually wore at least two nylon suits in practice. For that matter, I wore at least two nylon suits for most of my college dual meets. Even in races decided by hundredths of seconds, the suit is rarely the difference between swimmers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sticking with my "Shorts of Choice"

Who do I have to impress???

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried jammers for a while. I found that they degraded really quickly, so I'd need a new one every month or so. I'd know they were done because I'd get out of the pool and they'd be drooping down well past my knees. I tried everything to help them last longer, but it didn't seem to matter.

I bought a pair of the speedo poly mesh trainers 2 years ago and they are still going strong. They are like a regular speedo banana hammock, only they're made out of the nylon mesh used for most gym shorts. I think they are considered a drag suit, but it doesn't seem to drag too much. They are indestructible...they haven't even faded (or if they have it's been very little).

BTW... I take a size 36, so I guess I exceed a few people's threshold for the maximum size of a speedo. However, I have no gut to speak of, so it's not like there's cellulite dripping over the edges of me speedo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swim with a USA Club Swim Team and I will agree that the best swimmers don't wear jammers, they actually wear square cut drag suits ( I will go ahead and call this a speedo). This is an actual conversation I overheard in the locker room before the 10 year olds got in the pool. Yes these were 10 year old boys.

"What's the deal with all you fags wearing Speedos? Speedos are gay"

"Speedos are not gay all the fast swimmers practice with Speedos, just look at (names off the best older swimmers on the team)."

"Well I wouldn't wear one because they are gay and make you look like a homo."

"Maybe they do but I can beat you by 4 seconds wearing this speedo so you can either shut up or race me."

I just died laughing and told the kid "good for you, wear your speedo and as long as you can beat the kid wearing the jammers, go ahead and brag about it."

It comes down to one simple rule "if you got it, flaunt it".

TJ Tollakson

Cheers,

TJ Tollakson
http://www.tollakson.com
CEO: http://www.rustersports.com and http://www.dimondbikes.com
Quote Reply
Re: Resolution: Guys Who Wear Swimming "Jammers" Have Issues! [CTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could not be more wrong about suits and whether they make a difference in the outcome of races. There is a reason why in the olympics you see Thorpe wearing a full bodysuit or Phelps with what looks like leggings.

Swim a 200 for time in your drag suit and them see if you can borrow one of these $200+ body suits and swim the same 200. I'm willing to bet that the time difference will be between 1-2 seconds.
Quote Reply

Prev Next