Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Pro Cyclists Can't get In Race Shape Indoors ? (some basic math) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Yes, but you are not a protour rider. You also don't have to train for 500-800 watt surges (and associated heat buildup). It is OK for you to not have the protour race fitness that goes with those massive variations, but for a protour rider, its a difference between staying in the group (race shape) and getting unhitched (still good fitness, maybe local racing fitness or triathlon pro fitness, just not protour race fitness).

I made it clear that the discussion was about pointy end protour race fitness, which is what George, Lance and Andy Schleck were talking about on Wedu TheMove after stage 15 (go to around 15 minutes in and listen in)....Schleck claims it is not possible to get in Tour de France shape: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TNj7goukYo. He basically argues that those locked in at home could not get in shape compared to those who could go outdoors and get in race shape during lockdown.

That's kind of a condescending, ill informed commentary. I'll resist the urge to yell "You're out of your element Donny!" but only because you couldn't hear it. You had a hypothesis, it is demonstrably false-don't bring the relative success of my career into it. There is a lot more to the world tour than watts, ask Phil Gaimon about that-or rather ask the guys who rode with him.

I do have to train for "that", I race with protour riders several times a season. Plus, training for the North American pro calendar with lots of crits I do plenty of surges. If you want to whip out the power chart, I do have "Protour" (worldtour if you want to use correct terminology) fitness. The top guys in North America all have the numbers to ride with the worldtour but likely not to win. The difference is certainly not enough make indoor training impractical from an output perspective.

I don't disagree with Schleck that you can't train entirely indoors (of course!) for the Tour but no one had to. And if the reduced outdoor volume did impact fitness it had nothing to do with heat, it had to do with capacity to do volume and get the subtle but important variation that outdoor group rides, races etc provide.

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Last edited by: Jordano: Sep 15, 20 14:56
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Cyclists Can't get In Race Shape Indoors ? (some basic math) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
(even for big guys....they have the advantage of more surface area to get ride of the joules of heat built up in their body compared to a small pro generating the same joules of buildup).

Maybe I've got this all wrong, but I've always been under the impression that us "bigger guys" are at a disadvantage with the heat, due to a less favorable surface area to body volume ratio, despite having a larger surface area...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Cyclists Can't get In Race Shape Indoors ? (some basic math) [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you're right. Smaller riders have always had a cooling advantage.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Cyclists Can't get In Race Shape Indoors ? (some basic math) [carlosflanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on what you define as "smaller and larger". A 5'10 athlete at 140lbs has more surface area to dissipate heat than a 5'4 athlete at the same mass. But if the taller athlete has the same BMI as the shorter, he or she will do worse in the heat at a given pace (w/kg). If an 180 lb rider and a 140lb rider were doing the same absolute output (w) the larger athlete would have the advantage but that would never happen at a professional level.

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Last edited by: Jordano: Sep 15, 20 15:43
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Cyclists Can't get In Race Shape Indoors ? (some basic math) [Jordano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jordano wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Yes, but you are not a protour rider. You also don't have to train for 500-800 watt surges (and associated heat buildup). It is OK for you to not have the protour race fitness that goes with those massive variations, but for a protour rider, its a difference between staying in the group (race shape) and getting unhitched (still good fitness, maybe local racing fitness or triathlon pro fitness, just not protour race fitness).

I made it clear that the discussion was about pointy end protour race fitness, which is what George, Lance and Andy Schleck were talking about on Wedu TheMove after stage 15 (go to around 15 minutes in and listen in)....Schleck claims it is not possible to get in Tour de France shape: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TNj7goukYo. He basically argues that those locked in at home could not get in shape compared to those who could go outdoors and get in race shape during lockdown.

That's kind of a condescending, ill informed commentary. I'll resist the urge to yell "You're out of your element Donny!" but only because you couldn't hear it. You had a hypothesis, it is demonstrably false-don't bring the relative success of my career into it. There is a lot more to the world tour than watts, ask Phil Gaimon about that-or rather ask the guys who rode with him.

I do have to train for "that", I race with protour riders several times a season. Plus, training for the North American pro calendar with lots of crits I do plenty of surges. If you want to whip out the power chart, I do have "Protour" (worldtour if you want to use correct terminology) fitness. The top guys in North America all have the numbers to ride with the worldtour but likely not to win. The difference is certainly not enough make indoor training impractical from an output perspective.

I don't disagree with Schleck that you can't train entirely indoors (of course!) for the Tour but no one had to. And if the reduced outdoor volume did impact fitness it had nothing to do with heat, it had to do with capacity to do volume and get the subtle but important variation that outdoor group rides, races etc provide.

Just to derail the thread slightly, I had a look at your strava profile and it came up with a “you vs me” stats comparison. I now hate you, you make me feel wholly inadequate and I want to cry. (Not really...).

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Cyclists Can't get In Race Shape Indoors ? (some basic math) [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Jordano wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Just to derail the thread slightly, I had a look at your strava profile and it came up with a “you vs me” stats comparison. I now hate you, you make me feel wholly inadequate and I want to cry. (Not really...).

Well if we had a swimming race of any more than say 100m I would dnf due to drowning. We all have our strengths and weaknesses ;)

Quote Reply
Re: Pro Cyclists Can't get In Race Shape Indoors ? (some basic math) [Jordano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK I thought you were a pro triathlete, not world tour caliber racer but nevertheless, you're saying you gain too much fitness and other pro riders say they cannot get fit enough. I am saying they may not realize how much heat they need to get rid of, which hurts them from getting fast.

Beyond Schleck, Quickstep DS just today said that riders stuck indoors were at a disadvantage:

https://www.cyclingnews.com/...wed-up-on-all-sides/

You're saying its not heat related, but your setup may be OK relative to many protour racers. I provided math on what the heat build up is and how this may factor in. I know a number of you have said, "its as easy as getting an AC and fan", but this is not that practical an option even for a protour racer stuck in a quarantine (the guy could be in a rental etc). But anyway, I am pointing out heat is a much bigger factor for these guys, which subconsciously would affect their quality. Much more so than age groupers.

You almost never hear of pro triathletes saying they cannot get in race shape on a trainer. Their watts per kilo are much lower in general than protour cyclists for the type of racing in tris.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it’s more that the demands of a pro triathlete are different than those of a pro cyclist.

You’re focusing on one thing (heat) when there are other simpler explanations to explain differences in performance, a big one being simply motivation differences during an uncertain time, and different athletes doing different training based on what they think might happen. That, and if you’re stuck inside you don’t get the same training stimulus by virtue of being on the trainer, regardless of heat. A trainer is closer to what a triathlete needs than a cyclist, which is why sanders can do well with just trainer miles.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
OK I thought you were a pro triathlete, not world tour caliber racer but nevertheless, you're saying you gain too much fitness and other pro riders say they cannot get fit enough. I am saying they may not realize how much heat they need to get rid of, which hurts them from getting fast.

Beyond Schleck, Quickstep DS just today said that riders stuck indoors were at a disadvantage:

https://www.cyclingnews.com/...wed-up-on-all-sides/

You're saying its not heat related, but your setup may be OK relative to many protour racers. I provided math on what the heat build up is and how this may factor in. I know a number of you have said, "its as easy as getting an AC and fan", but this is not that practical an option even for a protour racer stuck in a quarantine (the guy could be in a rental etc). But anyway, I am pointing out heat is a much bigger factor for these guys, which subconsciously would affect their quality. Much more so than age groupers.

You almost never hear of pro triathletes saying they cannot get in race shape on a trainer. Their watts per kilo are much lower in general than protour cyclists for the type of racing in tris.

I guess that's what I get for lurking on a tri forum! I get what you are saying and perhaps there are a some cases where riders underestimated cooling needs. I don't think it would be common but the euro way is to train outdoors in all but the worst weather. So maybe they hadn't learned the lesson we all learned trying to do threshold intervals in an unventilated basement during Ontario winter. You would hope that with a 20 million euro budget these teams could spring for some gd fans and portable AC units but that could be asking too much. Some of these old school guys still think that air conditioning will make you sick overnight...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I retract prior comments. I went back and looked. My best ever 20min was up Epic KOM, indoors, in summer. And we keep the house at 76. So it would have been pretty sweaty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just for hoots,

how many hours a week do you think a GC contender or stage winner rides per week in normal circumstances ?

how many hours per week do you think they ride at high intensity ?
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Cyclists Can't get In Race Shape Indoors ? (some basic math) [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
I don’t buy that either. I’m obviously far from a pro rider, but controlling the temp inside and using enough fans certainly allows me to replicate outdoor riding. Indoor humidity is what really kills me over the summer months. However, if you could set up a room with lower humidity, temp & good cooling with fans there is no reason it couldn’t work. I think the real issue comes down to volume. Pro riders often spend 25-35 hours a week on a bike. That would certainly be harder inside in terms of mental fatigue on a trainer vs riding outside.

All I can say is when I've had to do some indoor training during the spring/summer, even with a dual stage central AC unit set to 65 and 2 30,000 cfm fans on me, I get hot as hell and the room is like 10 degrees warmer than the rest of the house. I can see this being a big issue for these guys putting out a lot more watts than I am.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Cyclists Can't get In Race Shape Indoors ? (some basic math) [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Engner66 wrote:
Take this from a real-world hvac engineer....

Nah, I take nothing on faith, and I have a history of disagreeing with real-world HVAC engineers, sorry. For some reason my most fundamental disagreements tend to be with the guys who tell me how expert they are ;)

As noted by an earlier poster, heat transfer in this situation is not primarily via simple convection but rather evaporative cooling facilitated by forced ventilation. Your psychrometric charts will show you where the energy goes.

What's "CFM" and a "2 ton" AC?

I presume these are archaic measures of power or volume flow rate or something?[/quote]
Appreciate the disagreement, in fact, many of my clients are like you, think they know what they are doing..until they don't, then they have to hire someone that actually knows ;-) all engineers have got it wrong sometimes, but maybe that's what expertise is really about?

Anyway, I removed the evaporative cooling from the discussion as I didn't want get into psychrometrics, latent heat in a bike forum, most HVAC systems will remove some if not most of the latent load dissipated in this situation. My point remains the same, you can design your pain cave so that overheating isn't a limitation. In fact, outdoor climbing a 8% slope in the middle of a hot humid day in July is actually worse than going Alpe d'Zwift with good AC system and a couple of well placed and sized fans.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Cyclists Can't get In Race Shape Indoors ? (some basic math) [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
My best ever 20min was up Epic KOM, indoors, in summer.

Mine was racing 2 pro women up Mount Palomar. Winter. :) Best 20 *and* 60.

Fear of getting chicked is a great motivator.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Cyclists Can't get In Race Shape Indoors ? (some basic math) [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Just for hoots,

how many hours a week do you think a GC contender or stage winner rides per week in normal circumstances ?

Rohan Dennis is hardly a GC contender, but at one point he thought he was.

https://www.velonews.com/...ohan-dennis-project/

Quote:

DENNIS’S TRANSITION FROM TIME trialist to grand tour contender required a huge uptick in training volume and a complete overhaul of his high-intensity workouts.

In late 2014, Dennis averaged about 18 hours of training time per week. Many amateur cyclists ride more. His workouts often revolved around short, intense VO2max intervals, which he would complete three or four times per week. And this was a reduction from the five or six high-intensity sessions he completed during his velodrome days.

By contrast, in late 2017, Dennis averaged about 22 hours a week and rarely completed extreme VO2 work. He also altered the duration of his intervals. In 2014 his high-intensity rides often lasted two hours, while for a typical 2018 workout, Dennis rides for two hours at the same high intensity, and then completes four more hours at an endurance pace. His training rides can also include painful intervals at the beginning and the end, with long endurance stretches in between. These workouts mimic the ebb and flow of a typical stage.

From what I recall reading some place else, it's tempo, tempo, and a lot more tempo. Then repeat for several days in a row.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Cyclists Can't get In Race Shape Indoors ? (some basic math) [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mgreer wrote:
marcag wrote:
Just for hoots,

Quote:

DENNIS’S TRANSITION FROM TIME trialist to grand tour contender required a huge uptick in training volume and a complete overhaul of his high-intensity workouts.

In late 2014, Dennis averaged about 18 hours of training time per week. Many amateur cyclists ride more. His workouts often revolved around short, intense VO2max intervals, which he would complete three or four times per week. And this was a reduction from the five or six high-intensity sessions he completed during his velodrome days.

By contrast, in late 2017, Dennis averaged about 22 hours a week and rarely completed extreme VO2 work. He also altered the duration of his intervals. In 2014 his high-intensity rides often lasted two hours, while for a typical 2018 workout, Dennis rides for two hours at the same high intensity, and then completes four more hours at an endurance pace. His training rides can also include painful intervals at the beginning and the end, with long endurance stretches in between. These workouts mimic the ebb and flow of a typical stage.

From what I recall reading some place else, it's tempo, tempo, and a lot more tempo. Then repeat for several days in a row.

Exactly. I get the rides of several riders from a few teams. Several domestiques but a few contenders and stage winners. Lots of z1/z2 some z3 little z4/z5. I need to spend time differentiating 2019 and 2020.

You can't do 22-30 hours per week on a trainer. It's not about over-heating. It's the mix of training they can't mimic in their air-conditioned Monaco apartments.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Cyclists Can't get In Race Shape Indoors ? (some basic math) [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
Appreciate the disagreement, in fact, many of my clients are like you, think they know what they are doing..until they don't, then they have to hire someone that actually knows ;-) all engineers have got it wrong sometimes, but maybe that's what expertise is really about?....
What makes you think I don't know what I'm doing? A very strange comment. You're either utterly conceited or just didn't understand my previous post.

In case you didn't realise what I meant by my "habit of disagreeing" comment. I was suggesting that making an appeal to authority on the basis of being a "real world HVAC engineer" was hardly putting you beyond challenge. In a previous role I was the client on several cleanroom facilities, and SME for HVAC and BMS. On more than one occassion the "expert" HVAC engineers contracted to design the systems issued designs with fundamental flaws which I refused to approve and in each case they ended up conceding they screwed up. These are the disagreements I referred to.
And no, I'm not suggesting I'm infallible either, but I'm not the one msking appeals to authority.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Cyclists Can't get In Race Shape Indoors ? (some basic math) [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
mgreer wrote:
marcag wrote:
Just for hoots,

Quote:

Exactly. I get the rides of several riders from a few teams. Several domestiques but a few contenders and stage winners. Lots of z1/z2 some z3 little z4/z5. I need to spend time differentiating 2019 and 2020.

You can't do 22-30 hours per week on a trainer. It's not about over-heating. It's the mix of training they can't mimic in their air-conditioned Monaco apartments.

That is the plan when you are racing 50-80 days a year and getting that intensity accordingly. I would think you would approach it differently in 2020 when you knew you had to hit the ground running in August. Its a very difficult training balance though, because you need more intensity up front to compete at the top level right away but then you have a compressed window of racing (loads more intensity) when you have to weather the storm fatigue wise. I would posit that delicate training balance is the reason we are seeing some inconsistent performances already and likely more through the fall.

Quote Reply
Re: Pro Cyclists Can't get In Race Shape Indoors ? (some basic math) [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, that was meant to add some humour, it obviously didn't come across that way. Professionally, I can't comment on another engineer's design issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordano wrote:
seeing some inconsistent performances already and likely more through the fall.

Just looking at TdF GC contenders, I'm a little surprised about how consistent it has been. 8 guys inside 5 minutes of the GC lead. And all the high profile implosions (Quintana, Bernal, Pinot, Bardet) were from guys with falling-off-bike issues either during the race or in the month prior. Or were French. Or both.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Their watts per kilo are much lower in general than protour cyclists for the type of racing in tris.

much lower? there are guys in my age group that output 5 w/kg @ threshold, let's say a 70.3 pro is 5.3 w/kg (I don't know everyones' numbers but definitely not lower than 5 w/kg) and your pro tour guy is 6 w/kg, @ 70 kg (or whatever weight you want to choose for comparison), do you think the watt of 5 -6 w/kg difference is exactly what your average basic European/North American fan/ac system is basically not able to handle?

Consider that, during lockdown, many European and South American pros set up their trainers in their residences but outdoors (social media photos of Gesink, Castroviejo, Uran, ? come to mind). Now you have, an infinite amount of fresh outdoor air and can remove the HVAC "problem". Even with a small fan, this setup is, from a heat dissipation perspective, much more efficient than climbing an 8% gradient at threshold in the middle of July surrounded by a bunch of drunken fans @ whatever weight and w/kg you can think of.

Again, and respectfully, your analysis has a few gaps. You are trying to analyze (without the knowledge of basic heat transfer concepts) something many engineers have been successfully resolving for decades now.

I am not disagreeing with the opinion that perhaps lockdown affected the performance of many pros, but heat gain is not the reason, unless these folks made it a problem themselves.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Cyclists Can't get In Race Shape Indoors ? (some basic math) [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Jordano wrote:
seeing some inconsistent performances already and likely more through the fall.

Just looking at TdF GC contenders, I'm a little surprised about how consistent it has been. 8 guys inside 5 minutes of the GC lead. And all the high profile implosions (Quintana, Bernal, Pinot, Bardet) were from guys with falling-off-bike issues either during the race or in the month prior. Or were French. Or both.

I would say the first three were inconsistent fitness wise because they were with the best well after their crashes and doing fairly well and then hit the wall. Bardet just got smacked in the head, fitness was irrelevant. And what about a guy like Alaphillipe? Or G Martin? Or the whole Ineos squad in the Tour and out? Even Carapaz who looked weak up until today when we rode like an absolute monster. I guess there is no real way to quantify inconsistency and causation (crash vs form etc) it just seems that way compared to past tours. I would bet we see more explosions in the coming months but we will have to wait and see.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordano wrote:
Or the whole Ineos squad in the Tour and out?

I would bet the biggest issue Ineos had to deal with this tour was the loss of Nicolas Portal. They lost their brain in March.

RIP Nicolas.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Cyclists Can't get In Race Shape Indoors ? (some basic math) [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Their watts per kilo are much lower in general than protour cyclists for the type of racing in tris.

much lower? there are guys in my age group that output 5 w/kg @ threshold, let's say a 70.3 pro is 5.3 w/kg (I don't know everyones' numbers but definitely not lower than 5 w/kg) and your pro tour guy is 6 w/kg, @ 70 kg (or whatever weight you want to choose for comparison), do you think the watt of 5 -6 w/kg difference is exactly what your average basic European/North American fan/ac system is basically not able to handle?

Consider that, during lockdown, many European and South American pros set up their trainers in their residences but outdoors (social media photos of Gesink, Castroviejo, Uran, ? come to mind). Now you have, an infinite amount of fresh outdoor air and can remove the HVAC "problem". Even with a small fan, this setup is, from a heat dissipation perspective, much more efficient than climbing an 8% gradient at threshold in the middle of July surrounded by a bunch of drunken fans @ whatever weight and w/kg you can think of.

Again, and respectfully, your analysis has a few gaps. You are trying to analyze (without the knowledge of basic heat transfer concepts) something many engineers have been successfully resolving for decades now.

I am not disagreeing with the opinion that perhaps lockdown affected the performance of many pros, but heat gain is not the reason, unless these folks made it a problem themselves.

After all these posts, I think what you guys are not getting is its not as simple as you guys make it out to be for a pro tour level guy to remove the the heat he would build up on a trainer to be race ready for the Tour de France. And they may be subconsciously reducing their highest end training load because of the heat buildup. And yes, I get that they may not do the volume on a trainer that they should be doing....I was mainly saying most of them probably don't even know their heat load and how much cooling they need.

We can debate that they are stupid for not removing the heat. I'd bet most of them had inadequate heat removal, because usually they just get most of their intensity from real world B races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

After all these posts, I think what you guys are not getting is its not as simple as you guys make it out to be for a pro tour level guy to remove the the heat he would build up on a trainer to be race ready for the Tour de France. And they may be subconsciously reducing their highest end training load because of the heat buildup. And yes, I get that they may not do the volume on a trainer that they should be doing....I was mainly saying most of them probably don't even know their heat load and how much cooling they need.

We can debate that they are stupid for not removing the heat. I'd bet most of them had inadequate heat removal, because usually they just get most of their intensity from real world B races.

With all due respect, Dev....How would YOU know? The physics and the physiology is simple. And, yes...I'm sure we've thought of something that they never even considered...the all-knowing SlowTwitch community. You know...cuz they can't afford to employ someone with half-a-brain.

Some of that should probably be half-pink...but, I can't decide which part.

Besides, you've already been told by someone who KNOWS BETTER THAN YOU, and is a pro-level rider....its not that big of a deal. BUt, sure....keep beating your dead horse---well, trying to prop it back up.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Sep 16, 20 15:25
Quote Reply

Prev Next