Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Pregnancy and RACING
Quote | Reply
Hi All-

So I've read all the info on pregnancy and training thats around , though I am always looking for more, BUT I haven't really found much information about racing. In many of the posts a woman raced a few weeks after finding out they were pregnant or some similar situation. My wife and I are planning on trying to get pregnant this coming May and were debating a 1/2 IM middle of August. She is very fit and well trained and we both lead health life styles along with our training and racing schedules, but I was wondering if anyone could offer more information regarding racing during pregnancy and especially a race of that distance at the end of our first trimester? Any advice is welcome!

"Train to Reign"
Quote Reply
Re: Pregnancy and RACING [IronMny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure I can offer any specific information other than CHECK WITH THE OB/GYN! I realize a spill on the bike is probably unlikely, but if anything ever happened to the child or the child was born less than normal, you always wonder if it was your fault. No race is that important. Just my $.02.

Good luck with the pregnancy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In this situation I would think that the best thing to do would be to talk to her doctor, way to many variables involved. Man you are confident she will be pregnant. I would say go ahead and sign up, pay the entry fee and if she doesn't get pregnant your good to go and if the doctor tells you different make the kid pay you back when he/she is old enough to earn money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not a doctor but never NEVER try to become pregnant while training. I think there are laws againest that position on the bike ; )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, if you race enough pregnancy shouldn't be an issue.

Just kidding. Good luck and be healthy! :)

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A professional IM athlete here has been competing whilst pregnant this season, she is a good 4-5 months prego. She uses a heart rate monitor to keep her heart rate below a certain level and is more competing than racing, she sticks to sprint races. I don't know enough about babies to know if it is a good idea.
Quote Reply
Re: Pregnancy and RACING [Blacky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the comments...keep'm coming

"Train to Reign"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know once my aunt found out that she was pregnant she decided not to do the 2003 lake placid IM and cut down her training volume. The previous year she was a top five finisher in her class (pro female) at placid.

I'm a runner pretending to be a Triathlete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will say that your question is very difficult to answer. I will say I am an OB/GYN. So I guess I am as qualified to try to answer as anyone. I will say that ACOG does have recommendations on exercise in pregnancy (ACOG.ORG). If you are "attempting" pregnancy in May, I assume you are using some sort of birth control now. If you spot the contraception in May, there is a chance of becoming pregnant during any month May through August or not being pregnant by August. If you do not become pregnant then that is still normal and all this research is unneeded. If you do become pregnant, these are the things I would recommend to think about. 1. Training for a half ironman may be difficult during the first trimester. Many women have morning sickness, all day sickness, and just feel fatigued. 2. Cardiovascular changes in pregnancy. Many pregnant women that do exercise do notice "lesser" fitness due to the relative anemia of pregnancy. This is caused by an expansion of red cell number, but a greater increase in serum volume. There are also changes in the vascular resistance. 3. As someone pointed out there is no good research on exercise of this intensity during pregnancy, and if something "bad" were to happen you are the ones that have to live with it. Even if it is something that is happens (miscarriage). 4. If she does happen to be beyond 13 weeks the uterus is outside the bony pelvis and falls off the bike a direct hit to the abdomen could cause an abruption and miscarriage (risk very low but outcome catostrophic) I have seen an abruption after being hit by a tossed 12 oz drink can. I know I haven't given you any straight answers, but that is the nature of the question you asked. Nobody has a good answer to what you should do. I guess the person that said good luck on the pregnancy and that no race is worth any increased risk (real or possible) to your child said it best. People on this forum may be more liberal with what they think you can do in pregnancy than I or any OB/GYN, but they do not have to worry about the risk of malpractice cases if your child fails to get into Harvard. I am not saying that you would sue about this, but keep that in mind as your physician tells you to do less than you think you can do. I have seen women race 10k races well late into pregnancy, and they have chosen to take the risks of possibly shunting blood from the fetus to the muscles. They were not my patients so I do not know the outcome, but those ladies have have made a decision about their healthcare, and now you must do the same. There is no right answer, but the one you and your wife make togther.
Quote Reply
Re: Pregnancy and RACING [chriswaites] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd convince the wife that lots of training is required to perform at your peak when the time comes to actually try to get pregnant.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Chris for taking the time to write...I was hoping someone from the medical field would respond. My wife and I have, and are continuing, to do research on all the aspects of getting pregnant WHILE both training and the pregnancy itself. I would never want to take undue risk with our baby if we are lucky enough to get pregnant after sitting in saddles for a few hours a day but wanted to begin to understand when you begin to enter into harms way...another grey area. Anyways, thank you all for the comments even those less than scientific ;) All are welcome.

"Train to Reign"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing I forgot to add, It may be advisable for the father not to compete if the pregnant mum does. That lady I mentioned that did the race easily, still beat the father. Fancy being beaten by your pregnant wife ! He has copped a bit from us.
Quote Reply
Re: Pregnancy and RACING [Blacky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And Blacky...sounds like you train with the same type of guys I do...and believe me....thats the last thing I would need...I'd never here the end of that

"Train to Reign"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trying to race or train while attempting to conceive another human being is nothing short of completely assinine and selfish. You want to bring another person into this world and risk that person's chances for a completely healthy childhood for a little competition?

That you would even ask this question is your biggest clue towards your readiness for parenthood. Neither one of you is ready to be a parent with all that being a parent entails.

I know, I know....People are out there doing so and they are fine. What about those who you don't hear about.

Nutritional and safety issues aside. Would your marriage survive if something did occur to this human being whom the two of you are choosing to play russian roulette?

It's not just a baby. It is a person who is entitled to every ADVANTAGE you can bring them, not just a package to haul around.
Quote Reply
Re: Pregnancy and RACING [Russell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Russell...Was the question...hey my wife and I are pregnant in our thrid trimester and were wondering if its a good idea to do an Ironman tomorow...NO...the reason I brought this up three months BEFORE we are trying to get pregnant is because we ARE responsible...so spare me your "You're selfish" speech and go F#^& yourself. You don't know the first thing about me.

"Train to Reign"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would encourage both you and your wife to be fit while trying to get pregnant, and while being pregnant. Your wife can exercise too much. There is a thing called exercise amenorrhea. If your wife exercises to the point that she has irregular or no periods, she could have trouble becoming pregnant. There is some research showing decreased sperm counts in men that ride "long rides" I don't remember off hand what qualifies as long. Both of these will lead to inferitlityand not trouble with pregnancy. I would not get to terribly caught up in this unless you go 6 or seven months and are not able to get pregnant. Both of you must keep in mind it can take up to 1 year to get pregnant, and this is normal. But until you approach that definition of infertility, I would say keep in shape because in general the more fit the mother to be is at conception the more fit she will be throughout pregnancy. It is very difficult to become more fit while pregnant. Once again good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I was wondering if anyone could offer more information regarding racing during pregnancy and especially a race of that distance at the end of our first trimester? Any advice is welcome!"

First, you came to a public forum and asked for peolpe's opinion. Sorry that my non sugar coated views hurt your feelings. Get over that real soon OK?

Second, you specifically asked about training and racing pregnant. First trimester or second or third is irrelevant. Life has enough risks that adding to that is simply selfish. Perhaps you haven't realized that you are selfish or you don't wish to have it pointed out to you. Either way, you get over that real soon too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Russell I am going to have to agree with Ironmny on this one what research do you base that trying to conceive while training is assinine and selfish. I think they are being very responsible. They are considering pregnancy. Almost 50% of USA pregnancies are unplanned. They are doing research. Give them a break or give me the good research to back up your point. maybe there is some new research I have not seen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris- Thanks for the posts, I really appreciate it. We'll keep your advice in mind along with our doctor's and see how our particular case unfolds. Thanks again.

"Train to Reign"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I was wondering if anyone could offer more information regarding racing during pregnancy and especially a race of that distance at the end of our first trimester? Any advice is welcome!"

The OP is specifically asking about racing during the first trimester. I responded accordingly.

There is a vast difference between a healthy lifestyle including regular exercise and training for tri events. I think that all people should be exercising, even while attempting to conceive. I don't think it is prudent to stress one's body on a continual basis for tri training and try to bring another person into the world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Russell I disagree you did not answer the OP. Your first post talked about training and racing while trying to conceive. That is your opinion. You may be right, I have no good research to show otherwise. The body however under too much stress tends to lead to infertility not adverse pregnancy outcomes.
Last edited by: chriswaites: Mar 11, 04 19:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am currently 3 months pregnant, have been doing tri's for the last 4 years. There is no way I could participate in a race at this point (much less a 1/2 IM). I am extremely tired-workouts that would have been easy for me 3 months ago put me on the sofa for the remainder of the day. Not to mention morning sickness!! My max workout time that doesn't do me in is about 1 1/2 hours. Even a 2 hour easy bike ride kicks my ass.

That being said, if you can spare the funds, I would enter anyway on the off chance that it takes a little while to get pregnant. She can always see how she feels after she gets pregnant to make her decision. And being in great shape can't hurt!!!

I have lots of training partners that were able to train and race (sprint distances) their entire pregnancy, but that has not been the case for me. Everybody has different symptoms and experiences-so you won't know how she feels until it happens!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let me preface this by saying that I rarely make note of the author of a thread or a reply, I generally just read through the threads that interest me, and if there's something new/controversial to me, I'll check out who posted it.

So, this morning as I was drawn into this post because it seemed particularly intersting to me, I hadn't yet made note of the names of anyone involved. Imagine my surprise when I came to realize about half-way through that I am the wife in question, and we're all talking about my hypothetical pregnancy :)

First off, thanks everyone for your comments and input - I'm sure you'd all agree, as triathletes, that the "normal" information to be found out there doesn't really apply to us. In a country where doctors are begging their patients to get just 30 minutes of walking in a day, most of us feel bad if we only managed to eek out a 3 mile run one day because we were time crunched. Because of this, I know I at least feel like I'm more comfortable with doctors giving me advice when they themselves are athletic and can understand the way our bodies work.

Now, to make note of Russel's comments - I'm curious as to whether you think it's healthier for the child if I sit on my butt, gain 100 pounds eating Krispy Kremes and smoking a pack of Camel's a day? Obviously this is a ridiculous analogy, but so is your assumption that by my husband ASKING A QUESTION about the health effects of training and racing during pregnancy, he is committing me to a 10 hour Ironman in 95 degree heat.

That makes me laugh just thinking about it, though, as I'm a perpetual middle of the packer, and quite fond of that position. I train for the health improvements it gives me, as well as for the overall personal satisfaction it provides. I race mainly for the T-shirts :) Joking aside, I think any grand assumption as to my or my husbands lack of personal responsibility or care for health of our future child is presumptuous and pompous, and takes the valid and responsible question he was asking completely out of context.

I intend to make every decision about my body and my actions with the health of the baby as the deciding factor. That being said, I firmly believe at this point that a healthy, active mother is a GOOD thing for the health of the baby. Just as my husband was searching for information from people on this forum, I would still like to encourage other mothers and doctors to post with their thoughts, opinions, and experiences.

At this point, I don't necessarily have plans to race while pregnant - but I do intend to train. However, I do not rule out "racing", insofar as my "racing" is really just what a lot of people call a long training day :) It's a chance to cheer on other people, enjoy our sport, and spend time with friends and family.

Thanks in advance for everyone's contributions, and please share your experiences.
Quote Reply
Re: Pregnancy and RACING [pennylongdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Ive posted this information before, and Ill post it again in hopes that it will prevent someone from loosing a child like we did. Let me sum it up by giving some important risk factors that most OB's dont know about, or dont put together that can cause (and have caused) fetal mortality.

-Low blood pressure (good for mom, bad for fetus; and it drops at night)

-posterior placenta (bad for fetal blood supply)

-Large baby

-Athletic mother with good muscle tone (good for mom, and usually good for baby; BUT...)

-First pregnancy (not as much room in the uterus)

Heres how it played out:

My wife was a competitive triathlete,runner, etc. when we became pregnant with twins. Pregnancy went fine; lots of morning sickness, but wife still kept in shape (not really racing shape, but in good shape). We went to high risk OB due to twins. Wife had low blood pressure, which OB said was good. It was first pregnancy, one twin had posterior placenta. OB would not deliver before 40 weeks. At 39 weeks both babies fine and healthy, ultrasound showed both breathing in-utero; in non-stress test next day our daughter showed signs of chord compression, but we were sent home because they did not have a radiologist on call who dealt with twin pregnancies, and it was assumed that our OB would be contacted (we found all this out after the fact). Two days later our daughter did not have a heartbeat, and her twin brother was delivered 1.5 hours later via C-section.

It took 10 minutes of medline search to find that fetal mortality increased to 1 in 112 after 38 weeks with twins AND THE SAME RATE WITH SINGLE PREGNANCIES AFTER 40 WEEKS.

Problems was I did not know the right questions to ask. I tell you all this not to scare anyone, but to provide you with information. Make sure you are monitored closely. You do not need all the risk factors I listed above to have something go bad. Have all the facts. Protect your new family. I would give anything and everything (including my racing) to have my daughter back who was prefectly healthy until she ran out of room and died. I only hope that I can prevent this from happening to others. Staying fit is good, but just be careful about racing.

Stephen Judice

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
Stephen -

I'm so unbelievably sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your experience and insight with us.
Quote Reply

Prev Next