Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Power Meter Debate
Quote | Reply
I am finally getting around to purchasing a power meter, and have settled on a pedal based platform. The two most prevalent pedal based platforms on the market right now are the Garmin Vector 3 and the Power Tap P1. For those that have used them, or done their research, what have you liked or not liked about each. Im leaning towards the Garmin because I am familiar with their software and watches, but are the Vector 3's worth the extra money?
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter Debate [Babybull63] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Quarq but if I didn't get Quarq I would probably have gone with Garmin.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have P1 pedals. I have never used, or even seen, the Garmin or Favero pedals.

Personally, I would probably buy Garmin pedals today. I like the ability to use generic cleats and the sleeker form factor. Based on my watch experience, I'm impressed by Garmin customer service. At the same time, I'm cognizant these are still a pretty new product and hence a bit unproven.

I have some modest concerns about my P1 pedals. The Wellgo cleat makes for an awkward clip-in dynamic (but most don't seem to mind). Look Keo-style cleats seem to be slightly different, some find they work, I've had issues getting them to work properly. I'm also reading reports about bearings being underspecced, and costly Powertap bearing replacement service, with concern. My own bearings seem to be in the acceptable range, but they're not as smooth as they could be. And I wish there were a tad more cornering clearance under the pedals. All those caveats aside, I've had no issues with the data my pedals have given me.

If I were buying today, based on all of the above, I would pay a modest premium for Garmin pedals (and I wouldn't be overly concerned about their being a fairly new product, though that might still come back to bite me).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interestingly enough, since there is a separate discussion on DC Rainmaker on the forum, your best source of information and comparison is probably by reading his blog on the subject.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...de-2017-edition.html

I personally use the Garmin Vector 2 system and love it. No real complaints. It integrates well with the head unit, is reasonably easy to set up, and performs well with more data than I really know what to do with. I bought these before the Vector 3 system, but based on the modifications I have seen to the system, it seems that the Vector 3 is only an improvement and I would but that myself based on my experience with the 2's. I haven't used the P1 system, though, as a disclaimer :)

You will also likely be able to find both 10-30% off at some point. When I bought the Vector 2 system, I found it 30% off which made it too good to pass on..

Blog | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nashbar has the Vector 3 pedals in stock, both the single and dual sided versions. Given the various complaints I've read on here, and other forums, about the pedal based systems in general, I'd personally feel more comfortable buying from a place like Nashbar that has their no questions return policy, for when the pedals stop working and Powertap folks tell you they are out of warranty, etc .......
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter Debate [trihawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have Assioma padels for 4 weeks, and up to now only indoor, thus no long time experience.

Positiv:
- Really easy installation, doesn‘t need a torque wrench, works correctly without set in sprints
- Tracks good with SRM, PowerTap G3 and Rotor 2InPower
- Keo cleats work perfectly
- Zero value quite stable i.e. it seems there is no need for repeated zero „calibration“

Negative:
- Power data is about 1,5 seconds behind a speed sensor or SRM (may be not important for usual use, but makes problems with aero testing)a
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had the P1 pedals for almost 2 years. I love them and have no complaints. However, if I were buying a PM right now, I would get the Vector 3. No brainer. I like all of the cool metrics native to Garmin (even if the value is debatable), and I like they way they look. Plus, they are the latest and greatest technology on the market.

You cannot go wrong with the P1 pedals. You can future-proof a little with the V3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Babybull63 wrote:
I am finally getting around to purchasing a power meter, and have settled on a pedal based platform. The two most prevalent pedal based platforms on the market right now are the Garmin Vector 3 and the Power Tap P1. For those that have used them, or done their research, what have you liked or not liked about each. Im leaning towards the Garmin because I am familiar with their software and watches, but are the Vector 3's worth the extra money?

Just got the GV 3's and did my first-ever power ride. The Vectors lost power/cadence on the last 5 minutes of a 20-minute threshold test.

Are you kidding me? The first time out of the box?

A little research and apparently WiFi can interfere, or a bad battery casing, or maybe even if it's Tuesday. If it wasn't my home WiFi, it seems I might have to reset the install angles (requires taking off the battery casing which is not as safe as it sounds).

Google "Vector power/cadence drop" before you purchase. I'm not saying the others don't have these same problems but, as long as they aren't any more reliable, there are cheaper methods that can drop power, too.

Editors note: I'm a Garmin Fanboy. Owner of:
  • FR60
  • FR70
  • 910XT
  • GV 3's
  • Edge 520

My GVs are on probation with me because I have 60 days to return and I'm rapidly approaching that day.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter Debate [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
Babybull63 wrote:

Just got the GV 3's and did my first-ever power ride. The Vectors lost power/cadence on the last 5 minutes of a 20-minute threshold test.

Are you kidding me? The first time out of the box?

A little research and apparently WiFi can interfere, or a bad battery casing, or maybe even if it's Tuesday. If it wasn't my home WiFi, it seems I might have to reset the install angles (requires taking off the battery casing which is not as safe as it sounds).

Google "Vector power/cadence drop" before you purchase. I'm not saying the others don't have these same problems but, as long as they aren't any more reliable, there are cheaper methods that can drop power, too.

Editors note: I'm a Garmin Fanboy. Owner of:
  • FR60
  • FR70
  • 910XT
  • GV 3's
  • Edge 520

My GVs are on probation with me because I have 60 days to return and I'm rapidly approaching that day.

Thanks for the heads up. I’m in the market also and it’s really frustrating because there is lots of feedback out there similar to yours that Garmin are glitchy and unreliable.

But the P1s are getting quite old now so don’t won’t to buy them only to have a new version release soon after.

Any word on when/if powertap will be releasing an update?
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter Debate [BergHugi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BergHugi wrote:
I have Assioma padels for 4 weeks, and up to now only indoor, thus no long time experience.

Positiv:
- Really easy installation, doesn‘t need a torque wrench, works correctly without set in sprints
- Zero value quite stable i.e. it seems there is no need for repeated zero „calibration“

Negative:
- Power data is about 1,5 seconds behind a speed sensor or SRM (may be not important for usual use, but makes problems with aero testing)a
I too have the Assioma pedals. Had them about 8 weeks and so far I love them. I thought the status lights would be distracting, never notice them. Install super easy. Initial activation was only problem because my iPhone wasn't finding them but that was likely user error.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter Debate [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought the PowerTap P1s (as in single sided) about 1.5 years ago. Still going strong. I had the Garmin Vector 2’s before that, and in 6 months the little cable to the pods ripped out. I returned those for the PowerTap.

PowerTap have yet to release an option to upgrade a single-sided to a dual...so keep that in mind (which has pissed me off because they were “just 6 months away, 12 months ago, but that’s a different story).

I’m also a little about about bearings going bad, and hearing stories about pedals being stolen off bikes in transition. I think I’ll probably try to go crank-based when these die.

I'm closer to the feathered end of the spear than the point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought Vector 2s’s a few years ago and they are great. The biggest downside is in having issues swapping between bikes. Seems like that’s been worked out with the 3’s...

It was already mentioned, but the P1’s are getting a little long in the tooth but are still solid and probably can be had for a steal used or on sale online.

-Nate
Triathlonpal.com
Flaer|Team Kiwami|Nuun Hydration|Honey Stinger
Twitter: @N8deck
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter Debate [trihawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the link to the DC Rainmaker review, I had read the article comparing the V3, P1 and the Faveros but had not seen this particular article. Right now Im leaning towards purchasing the V3's, I like the look and the ridiculous amount of data Ill never be able to use. I also like Garmin products and their customer service has always been outstanding. I had a number of issues with my 910xt and everytime they allowed me to send it back to get a working one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been recommending Powertap P1 pedals for 3 years now. I've finally changed my tune. I'm on my third one after the first two had to be warranty replaced. My brother just had his die the same way my other two did. One will just stop waking up. Saris customer support has always been top notch but they are getting more and more stringent about providing RMA numbers. I've come to the conclusion that every set will die sooner rather than later. When they inevitably do, you'll get to spend a week or two trying to figure out how you're going to train without the pedals you're used to and their proprietary cleats. They also have an incredible knack for knowing when race day is and choosing that to be the day they croak.

I'm not recommending the Vectors (because I don't have experience with them), but I'm definitely not recommending the P1 anymore.
Last edited by: jazzymusicman: Mar 20, 18 12:36
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter Debate [JesseR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JesseR wrote:
BergHugi wrote:

Positiv:

Negative:

I too have the Assioma pedals. Had them about 8 weeks and so far I love them. I thought the status lights would be distracting, never notice them. Install super easy. Initial activation was only problem because my iPhone wasn't finding them but that was likely user error.

Assioma fan here, too. They just work. My only issue is that my size 45 shoes barely clear the pods so I’m not sure how to wear shoe covers. I’m not excited about widening the Q factor by moving the cleats in or using spacers under the cleats to increase the shoe stack height. Anyone else have this issue?
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter Debate [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm behind the curve here but I gotta say that my powertap hub wheel refuses to die. Works every single time, Rock solid reliable for years.

Still want a pedal based system so I can rock carbon wheels but it's hard to justify when the disc cover and the Rock solid hub work and race so well
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter Debate [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought a pair of Vector 3's today.

As long as they are more reliable than my Stages i'll be happy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had P1 pedals for 1.5 years. Bought before the V3's came out. Heard too many bad stories on the Garmins to spend the money on them. The ease to switch between bikes without torque wrenches or anything is why I went that way. I've never had a single issue. Take that back, this weekend, I got a calibration error after swapping batteries, but undid battery cap and screwed back in and all was fine. That's literally the only time I've had a hiccup. Cleats aren't the easiest to clip in, but certainly not a deal breaker at all.

For the Garmin, pretty sure my local shop stopped selling them due to issues at the time. There was apparently a guy in the grouo I ride with who literally snapped a spindle on vectors. Just a lot of bad press at the time. Now I'm sure P1s have an equal amount and the V3's are an improvement. But my experience has been good.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter Debate [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
I'm behind the curve here but I gotta say that my powertap hub wheel refuses to die. Works every single time, Rock solid reliable for years.

Still want a pedal based system so I can rock carbon wheels but it's hard to justify when the disc cover and the Rock solid hub work and race so well

I started with Powertap hubs back in 2008. I had several from wired to wireless and each went about a year or two before I had to send them in for repair so I was at the point of never wanting another PT hub. But then they dropped the price of the G3 when stages and other meters were coming to the market with lower prices so I had a friend build a HED Belgium wheel set at less than $1K. That PM has been absolutely rock solid. I had one minor issue a few years ago that was quickly corrected with a firmware update. It's been through all sorts of conditions and has remained right in line with the two Quarq meters that I have. As expected it is about 3 to 4 watts less because being downstream on the drivetrain, but certainly consistent and reliable.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter Debate [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought Garmin V1... not good
I was told to update to V2 cause less problems and more stable... not good (coasting at 400watts, drops inside/outside)

Agazillion set of pods after it seemed to work but I was annoyed so sold them on ebay and bought P1

NEVER a problem and it has been 2 years on TT, Road Bike... two crashes (crits) and a gazillion of rides under all kind of weather conditions and I have never ever have a problem either.

Garmin... Thx but No Thx

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter Debate [LuisDF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I purchased the Garmin V3 and so far they are pretty good - no issues with syncing, updating or using. They wake up and calibrate fine and are easy to change from bike to bike. I cannot comment on the battery life as of yet but they seem pretty awesome (dispite not having all options with my edge 810).

The only issue I have with them so far is that they DO NOT line up with my Wahoo/trainer road power. The NP so far is roughly 3% lower when I tested them last. However, during the ride I did stop while my head unit continued running while I did some slight saddle adjustment so I will try again - but so far they do not read the same as my wahoo.
Last edited by: teddygram: Mar 21, 18 7:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Worth noting, it's been reported Wahoo Bolt bike computers are not communicating to GV 3's.
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter Debate [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I have a wad full of cash and am wanting to buy BUT imho the power taps are old tech and will need to drop their price to remain competitive with the new Garmins. BUT the Garmins also have a history of being unreliable....so I’m frustratingly sitting on the fence waiting for a price drop or the Garmins to prove their reliability

I guess it’s a new set of carbon wheels then :)
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter Debate [teddygram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wahoo power meter is +/- 5%

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Power Meter Debate [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
So I have a wad full of cash and am wanting to buy BUT imho the power taps are old tech and will need to drop their price to remain competitive with the new Garmins. BUT the Garmins also have a history of being unreliable....so I’m frustratingly sitting on the fence waiting for a price drop or the Garmins to prove their reliability

I guess it’s a new set of carbon wheels then :)
Maybe.

But. The P1 pedals have had the price dropped recently. And they’re rock solid. Mine are 2 years old, 000’s of kms on them and they don’t miss a beat.
Quote Reply

Prev Next