Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Old Tri Bikes Still Rockin' and Rollin' Down the Highway [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
eemanuele19 wrote:
Not sure if this counts, but it's 13 years old... Never going to be able to touch the speed of the fast guys and girls that rode them when it was new.

Nice clean setup. I’ve got a 2007 P3 that I’ve wanted to be electronic shifting on.

Initially had the 10spd Di2, but a couple weeks after leaving it in the Augusta dew before the race one of the bar end shifters failed. Kept getting more and more worried about finding replacement parts if it failed again. Turned out to be about the same price for 12spd or 11spd when the blip boxes were hard to find. Way better to travel with now!
Quote Reply
Re: Old Tri Bikes Still Rockin' and Rollin' Down the Highway [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

My 2010 P3, not sure if it counts as an Old tri bike (especially with di2 and modern components) but I can promise you it’s still rocking, and usually scoring among the very fastest bike splits.
Quote Reply
Re: Old Tri Bikes Still Rockin' and Rollin' Down the Highway [quintana who] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love old QR's as well. especially steel ones. Sadly this one was wrecked in an accident with a car; frame was w/o, but a few parts were recovered for the other projects

Last edited by: jollyroger88: May 16, 23 23:42
Quote Reply
Re: Old Tri Bikes Still Rockin' and Rollin' Down the Highway [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
quintana who wrote:
Still ride this one, although not in races. Managed to get signed by a bunch of good people - Mike Reilly, Sam Warriner, Cam Brown, Hannah Berry, Seb Kienle, Rebecca Clarke, Braden Currie.

I love everything about this. Fully external cables, handlebars that look purposefully designed for extra drag, mismatched bottle cages, but gotta have an aero seatpost for those marginal gains

I think you're totally missing the point about the purpose of a restomod bike
Last edited by: jollyroger88: May 17, 23 3:14
Quote Reply
Re: Old Tri Bikes Still Rockin' and Rollin' Down the Highway [candyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm entering my last performance-oriented tri season on modern equipment. Starting next year, I will race with style aboard this beauty that I acquired recently.

Quote Reply
Re: Old Tri Bikes Still Rockin' and Rollin' Down the Highway [tof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tof wrote:
I'm entering my last performance-oriented tri season on modern equipment. Starting next year, I will race with style aboard this beauty that I acquired recently.

So cool. Screw that modern stuff!!
Quote Reply
Re: Old Tri Bikes Still Rockin' and Rollin' Down the Highway [tof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love that LOOK bike, the stem appears to be made of silly putty though ?
Quote Reply
Re: Old Tri Bikes Still Rockin' and Rollin' Down the Highway [pwai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pwai wrote:

My 2010 P3, not sure if it counts as an Old tri bike (especially with di2 and modern components) but I can promise you it’s still rocking, and usually scoring among the very fastest bike splits.

That is a beauty. No need for a "super bike" when you have this beautifully maintained and updated classic. Nicely done...

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Old Tri Bikes Still Rockin' and Rollin' Down the Highway [candyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have this oldie but goodie sitting in my shop, 2001 Quintana Too Ti-Phoon, all Dura Ace 9 speed. Extra small, 42cm c-c. BTW if anyone is interested I am selling it.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Old Tri Bikes Still Rockin' and Rollin' Down the Highway [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doug in co wrote:

that's the look 'ergostem.' it's adjustable for height and reach - super cool!

i remember seeing one of those look KGs for the first time in person at duathlon nationals when i was a kid. i stared - such a stunning bike!

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Old Tri Bikes Still Rockin' and Rollin' Down the Highway [quintana who] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
quintana who wrote:
And this. I do love an old QR. With silly little wheels.

The 650c Spinergy/Specialized Tri-Spoke combo can only be pulled off on a QR Kilo.
Quote Reply
Re: Old Tri Bikes Still Rockin' and Rollin' Down the Highway [Herbie Hancock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IDK. The 700c size wheel combo still rides well on a 1995 Kestrel 200 SCi 20 years later. It's my back-up race bike that needed to hold up to the rough bike course on Lower Wacker, Lower Columbus, & Lower Randolph Drives in downtown Chicago. It was still equipped with original components (except aero bars) but put on a new but identical saddle last season and replaced the right gear shifter. I plan to pull it out for a race later in the summer. The current race bike is a 2006 black Kestrel Airfoil and it holds its own against others still.

Quote Reply
Re: Old Tri Bikes Still Rockin' and Rollin' Down the Highway [djmsbr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's interesting to see the spinergy - i went through 2 warranty returns in my race days with delamination and cracked "spokes". The last one cracked at speed and the wheel basically collapsed - it was terrifying.

I just threw it in the garbage and that was it with those guys. Nice to see you've had better luck!
Last edited by: KJ33: May 17, 23 18:37
Quote Reply
Re: Old Tri Bikes Still Rockin' and Rollin' Down the Highway [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
doug in co wrote:

that's the look 'ergostem.' it's adjustable for height and reach - super cool!

i remember seeing one of those look KGs for the first time in person at duathlon nationals when i was a kid. i stared - such a stunning bike!

Those 196's were used around 92-93 by the two arguably best triathletes of that time, Mark Allen and Simon Lessing. I remember their head to head battle in Nice LD race. A friend of mine bought one at Cordier bros bike shop in Cote d'Azur, a few years later
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Picked up an old zipp disc, still looking for a 650c 3000 front wheel. Also recently put my old Scott 100k bars on it for full aero or die mode

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Old Tri Bikes Still Rockin' and Rollin' Down the Highway [pwai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pwai wrote:

Stunning!

What storage box is that in the frame?

Also how much was the paint?
Quote Reply
Re: Old Tri Bikes Still Rockin' and Rollin' Down the Highway [eemanuele19] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eemanuele19 wrote:
pwai wrote:

Stunning!

Thx eemanuele19
The storage box is my own design, 3d printed.
I spray painted the frame so I did not pay for it, except for the multiple cans (primer, paint, glitter, coat) and loads of fine sandpaper ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pwai wrote:
eemanuele19 wrote:
pwai wrote:

Stunning!

Thx eemanuele19
The storage box is my own design, 3d printed.
I spray painted the frame so I did not pay for it, except for the multiple cans (primer, paint, glitter, coat) and loads of fine sandpaper ;)

Wow, that’s even more impressive haha.

Would you be open to making/selling me a box, or the design?

I’ve got the P3 a little further up this thread. Just got an amazing fit and there’s no room behind the saddle to tape a tube anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: Old Tri Bikes Still Rockin' and Rollin' Down the Highway [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If at the time it was stiff enough for Mark Allen, I guess it will be just fine for me!
Quote Reply
Re: Old Tri Bikes Still Rockin' and Rollin' Down the Highway [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In like 1992/3 when we started the 1st edition of Bike before it became BIKE Magazine , Zipp sent us the original version to review, it is still I think one of the fastest bikes I ever rode.. man I remember that feeling so vividly! IT just was a rocket and floated over the crappy roads of Newport, RI always a pleasure to see one again! Thanks for the memories
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Here's my bike for the 2023 season. Just for local and short triathlons on flat / rolling courses. 1987 Peugeot Tourmalet frame. Shimano 600 drivetrain. Weinmann brakes. 1987 Scott DH handlebars by 3T. Replica Selle Italia Turbo saddle. 1991 Spengle disc wheel. Wolftooth 52T one-By chainring. I'm going to build a new front wheel this weekend. Shimano 600 hub on a Mavic MA2 rim.
Last edited by: thestreak: May 18, 23 22:45
Quote Reply
Re: Old Tri Bikes Still Rockin' and Rollin' Down the Highway [thestreak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thestreak wrote:

Here's my bike for the 2023 season. Just for local and short triathlons on flat / rolling courses. 1987 Peugeot Tourmalet frame. Shimano 600 drivetrain. Weinmann brakes. 1987 Scott DH handlebars by 3T. Replica Selle Italia Turbo saddle. 1991 Spengle disc wheel. Wolftooth 52T one-By chainring. I'm going to build a new front wheel this weekend. Shimano 600 hub on a Mavic MA2 rim.

amazing and effective bike! have you considered a zero offset seatpost to reduce the front end reach by 2cm? a bottle cage would have its purpose also
Quote Reply
Re: Old Tri Bikes Still Rockin' and Rollin' Down the Highway [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the same bike but mine is a 2000. I did upgrade it to Force 10 sp some years ago though. Stickers are Blue though. Mine is actually my indoor riding bike. Still has the orginal Profile Carbon X bars. Circa 2000 QR Tiphoon--love my bike!
Quote Reply
Re: Old Tri Bikes Still Rockin' and Rollin' Down the Highway [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
I have the same bike but mine is a 2000. I did upgrade it to Force 10 sp some years ago though. Stickers are Blue though. Mine is actually my indoor riding bike. Still has the orginal Profile Carbon X bars. Circa 2000 QR Tiphoon--love my bike!

were they built by litespeed? drop a picture here!
Quote Reply
Re: Old Tri Bikes Still Rockin' and Rollin' Down the Highway [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cheers. Yes. Very effective. Everything I need. Nothing I don't. Will definitely put a bottle cage on. Just trying to source something from the 80s. The seat-post is 24mm. Very hard to get hold of. However, the distance to the pads is perfect. I like to be a bit stretched out. Like this:

Last edited by: thestreak: May 19, 23 2:37
Quote Reply

Prev Next