Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Turbeau] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl

Some of the bolts on my aerobars (sets 11&12 per diagram) are beginning to get stripped.
Will you guys have many spares I could buy at the kona expo? Looked at getting these shipped, but was quoted $20-50 just for shipping which seemed steep.

Thanks

Blog: http://www.tomburkinshaw.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [tburkinshaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone using the steerer stub on their SC9 in conjunction with a -17 degree (flat) stem and no headset spacers? Just wondered about braking performance with so little clearance.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [zamm0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,
Would you mind posting a picture with the dimensions for the ergo grip long version and the ergo grip short version mono extension for the 2014 speed concept. I have the long version but I think i need to get it swapped for the short version to meet the UCI 75cm extension limit with the Di2 shifters. I want to see how much adjustability there is with the short version. I have the long version as far back as possible and I am at 80cm extension from tip of Di2 shifter to center of BB.
Thanks,
Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know we've had a limited amount of parts available at the expo in the past...haven't heard if that's the plan again, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't. If I hear differently, I'll let you know.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [zamm0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It depends somewhat on the length of the stem and where the brake housing exits the bar. If memory serves, this is a pic of the UCI legal RXL Carbon basebar (the one which takes the 9-series pad hardware) mounted on a 70-80mm -17deg stem, slammed (or very nearly so) on a steer stub. It's a far less severe condition than what happens on a 50/10 or 100/10 stem, and those can be made to work just fine with proper installation.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [gte534j] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They're 40mm different and it's all between the slot and the grips...in other words, no change to adjustability features, just 40mm of overall length difference. All the monos have 40mm of cut-to-length capability out at the shifter end too.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just confirmed with the team that's going: they'll have a stash of small parts, and are partnering with a local dealer to handle larger needs (wheels, etc) for those who feel they need to make larger changes.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl, I have a 2011 SC Series 9. Do you know how I can get a replacement stem cover? I am referring to the thin plastic piece that covers the stem and has three bolt holes -- one to connect to the aerobars and two to connect to the stem itself. I am not referring to that rubber piece that covers the cables.

A few months ago, one of the sides near the stem bolt cracked and recently the other side cracked. The stem cover still works since the top bolt is fine, but it is loose as you might guess.

Thanks,
David
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [David in NY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any Trek dealer can order up the stem cover you need...PN depends on which stem you have:

Cover PN Stem size

420540 50/10
420541 100/10
420542 60/45
420543 100/45
420544 80/75
420545 110/75

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Carl.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [David in NY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you think you can give me a ballpark estimate of what size 2012 sc 7.0 I would ride? My local dealer has a size L and they think it would fit but I haven't been sized. They do not have a M in stock so I want to make sure I'm not buy something too big just because it's available.

I'm 5'11
Inseam 33.5
Trunk 24 5/8
Floor to notch 57.5
Arm 28
Forearm 14 1/4

Does this provide enough info for an educated guess?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [dprocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your height is something I'd use as a sanity check if your fit coordinates were pointing to a couple different answers...but I don't like using it as the only thing to go on...which is where I'm at with that list. Based on your height, I think a fit (or sizing) session that started on a large SC wouldn't run out of adjustability...but it also wouldn't guarantee that the best answer is a large.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

First off, thanks for being such an available wealth of knowledge on all things speed concept related.

Since tri-season is pretty much through up in our neck of the woods, I am looking at putting my speed concept on a diet to bring it closer to the new ones. (I know I know...aero this, lose some weight fattie that... I am going by the mantra of 'aero and light is right') I would like to change some bolts out to titanium/aluminum and was hoping you could let me know which ones I could safely do so with. I noticed several of the bolts (stem, etc) have a "T" stamped in them.. I assume this means they are hardened steel and I shouldn't mess with em?

Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [TriRyno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Howdy-

Right off the bat, no such swap would be covered by warranty in the event something went wrong. And even having said that, any suggestion I might subsequently make could be viewed as somehow constructive or as an informed opinion...in court. Sucks that's the way it is, but that's the way it is. Couple of specifics I should cover anyway:

I can't think of a single SC bolt which would be appropriate in aluminum.

The 9-series stem and bar mounting bolts are all ISO 12.9, so you're correct they shouldn't be substituted for anything else.

Sorry I can't give you anything more than that.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [MCSLC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl, can you help me with this. I have a 2012 SC 7.2. There is a very small alan screw holding my rear derailleur onto the frame. It keeps backing out and will not tighten. The only reason it doesn't fall out is when the rear wheel is on, it keeps it from backing out far enough to fall out. Is this a common problem with this model?

Neil
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Slowpoke13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Neil-

There should be two bolts holding the rear derailleur hanger on. If one or both is backing out but the threads are still in good shape (not stripped) then an application of loctite (blue) should keep things in place.

If the threads on the bolt(s) and/or the threads on the hanger are damaged, your dealer can order ones. In either case, the part# depends on the frame vintage. Here's the rundown on which bolts go with which hangers.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [dprocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dprocket wrote:
Do you think you can give me a ballpark estimate of what size 2012 sc 7.0 I would ride? My local dealer has a size L and they think it would fit but I haven't been sized. They do not have a M in stock so I want to make sure I'm not buy something too big just because it's available.

I'm 5'11
Inseam 33.5
Trunk 24 5/8
Floor to notch 57.5
Arm 28
Forearm 14 1/4

Does this provide enough info for an educated guess?

DP, we are the exact same size and I have 2012 7.2 in size Medium. I tried both and according to the way I felt too stretched out on the large and the eyes at the bike shop, the medium was the better fit for me. I love my SC and the way it fits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
Hi Neil-

There should be two bolts holding the rear derailleur hanger on. If one or both is backing out but the threads are still in good shape (not stripped) then an application of loctite (blue) should keep things in place.

If the threads on the bolt(s) and/or the threads on the hanger are damaged, your dealer can order ones. In either case, the part# depends on the frame vintage. Here's the rundown on which bolts go with which hangers.

Thanks Carl, it appears the threading on the frame is stripped out. Funny thing is its never been touched. I cant tighten it, it sont grab. How would that get fixed?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowpoke thank you for the reply. I'm thinking Medium too. I am having a Retul fit next week so we'll see how that comes out and go from there. Thanks for the feedback. I've decided not to hastily pull the trigger on the L I've been drooling over until after the fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the frame isn't threaded...the replaceable hanger is. if the hanger is stripped, you replace the hanger.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Carl, looks like Trek Red Shield warranty may be in order. It kind of appears that the alan bolt is a little short, therefore putting a little too much stress on the little threading there is.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone considered or tried to fit a Specialized Fuelcell storage box to a Speed Concept frame?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Silakka] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

I have a Speed Concept 9 2012 with DA DI2. I would like to change the stem from 80/45 to 100/10. Is this an easy thing to do or do I have to remove the brake cables?

thanks for helping

Stefan
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Steve560] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Stefan

You'll have to disconnect and likely replace the brake cables. Whether or not you need to replace rear brake housing depends on how much excess housing you have to begin with. Similar story for the front brake housing, though there's likely to be less excess (if any) on that one to begin with.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Carl,

Any word on whether the 2014 SC Service Manual is available online? I know you last mentioned you were looking get that available via the internet. Just curious, before I go ask my LBS to download a copy for me.

Thanks
Quote Reply

Prev Next