Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 2021-2024 ITU discussion thread [oprfcc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oprfcc wrote:
Is that a possibility?

I would think they would just make it a larger number of races and stick with the usual 5 races plus the grand final. (I think it's 5+1, I could be wrong)

Would hope that is the case.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 2021-2024 ITU discussion thread [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now Bermuda cancelled....this is a joke. The best they can do is to cancel Abu Dahbi too and start the 2022 season properly. Hamburg was a mistake knowing that SL was going to be held...they cannot think they can put any date...so, who will be training for November? Nobody... As I said in my other post, they are spoiling the series...

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Re: Official 2021-2024 ITU discussion thread [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
juanillo wrote:
Now Bermuda cancelled....this is a joke. The best they can do is to cancel Abu Dahbi too and start the 2022 season properly. Hamburg was a mistake knowing that SL was going to be held...they cannot think they can put any date...so, who will be training for November? Nobody... As I said in my other post, they are spoiling the series...

This^^^
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Say what you want about the fields in Hamburg, but damn were those races entertaining. 7 men together with 400m to go, 4 man sprint to the line with a photo finish? Hellwig is no joke, he's been on form, winning his qualifier in the Montreal eliminator, and 2nd at U23 Worlds in Edmonton. Laura Linderman is perennially on the podium in Hamburg, so unsurprising for her to take the title...

And that MTR... While with pretty much everyone racing dev teams, everything was mixed up in terms of the top nations, that Italy Germany duel for the win was insane. Penalty in T1 on the last leg, and then a masterclass on the run in terms of building a gap and breaking the italian in the first 1400m, so that he could serve the 10s penalty and still hang on to the line.

While it was depleted fields, it was certainly memorable racing in all 3 races...
Quote Reply
Re: Official 2021-2024 ITU discussion thread [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing against the racing, it was entertaining to watch. With over 20 of both the top men's and women's athletes missing the opportunity to earn points this round due to the conflict of events, and it actually still being 2021, no events should count for 2022 series championship points. 2022 is 2022 not 2021. Both 2020 and 2021 have been crazy, mixed up years for many athletes. Let everyone reset for a refreshed 2022 when borders are expected to be open and more athletes can travel with less stresses and hassles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was always going to be at least one event (Bermuda) after the grand final counting towards 2022, COVID or no, just because of the Edmonton climate forcing the grand final a few weeks earlier to prevent it becoming a duathlon... That said, there should still be a full season next year (barring any crazy COVID related rescheduling) ahead of the Grand Final that will allow people to make up points for missing Hamburg and or/Abu Dhabi this year...

That said, the people who should be the most concerned aren't those at the top, it's more those in the middle, where some of their competitors have grabbed some top results with weaker fields, that will move them up the standings at year end... But we know racing will get serious in June/july next year when the OG qualifying cycle starts again...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree. It is the folks in the 10-30 range who are missing out if they didn't go to Hamburg and won't go to Abu Dhabi.

Have they posted the start dated for the 2024 qualifications? I wonder if they will postpone a few months, or keep it the same as usual.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing posted yet, it usually goes up during the off-season, so I suspect February ish they will post the World Tri qualification process, so that the national federations have a few months to then post their selection criteria built around that, before qualification starts. In terms of when it will start, it's usually two years out from the race, so I am not sure what the dates are for Paris. If it's a July date, then I would expect sometime June or July for the qualification process to start, if it's August, it might be a smidge later. It's not really in world tri's best interest to push it back, because with Olympic qualification points available for races, there's more incentive for athletes to race more, and for top athletes to show up and to fight for points for their federations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's an interesting point. I never really thought that World Triathlon would push for more races counting as qualifiers. But if it incentivizes people to race, it makes perfect sense.

I'm anxiously waiting to see the remainder of the 2022 World Series calendar, and how that plays into the Olympic Qualification.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The last 2 olumpics qualification started in Yokohama mid may and both would have finished there as well if covid hadn't struck. Olympic points qualifying normally finishes a couple of months out to allow teams to finalise and athletes to focus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First round of dates for WTCS/World Cups, Para, etc. for 2022 have been announced. Obviously these are not yet completed, and there may be additional events (especially world cup).

2022 World Triathlon Championship Series:
September 2021 - Hamburg, GER
November 2021 - Abu Dhabi, UAE
14-15-May Yokohama, JPN
11-12 Jun Leeds, GBR
25-26 Jun Montreal, CAN
9-10 Jul Hamburg, GER
22-23 Oct Chengdu, CHN
Abu Dhabi, UAE (Championship Series Final)
Mixed Relay:
11-12 Jun Leeds, UK
25-26 Jun Montreal, CAN – World Championships
9-10 Jul Hamburg, GER
World Triathlon Cup:
12-13 March - Miyazaki, JPN
30 April - 1 May - Haeundae KOR
7-8 May - Osaka, JPN
28-29 May Arzachena, ITA
18-19 Jun - Huatulco, MEX
27-28 Aug - Bergen, NOR
3-4 Sept - Valencia, ESP
10-11 Sept - Karlovy Vary, CZE
24-25 Sept - Weihai, CHN
1-2 Oct - Tongyeong, KOR
29-30 Oct - Miyazaki, JPN
Para Triathlon:
14-15-May Yokohama, JPN – World Triathlon Para Series
11-12 Jun Besancon, FRA – World Triathlon Para Cup
18-19 Jun - A Coruna, ESP – World Triathlon Para Cup
6-7 Aug Swansea, GBR World Triathlon Para Series
Abu Dhabi, UAE - World Championships
Winter Triathlon:
5-6 Feb Andorra, AND – Winter Triathlon World Championships
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting.
That's nice to see so many races potentially on the calendar.

I'm curious how many Oly/Sprint/Super-sprint's we'll see. And if they change the point allocation based on race distance.

Looks like Bergen is the only new location. We'll get to see the Haeundae course in a week or so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would guess they are trying to find 2-3 more WTCS races to fill that 13 (!) week gap. Alternatively they could be trying to de-emphasize the series as the exclusive racing domain of the top athletes. Ie. Expect that more top names will race world cups and super league. Which could potentially have the effect of making the remaining WTCS races more competitive…but I doubt it. I bet they are just having trouble finding top level hosts even this far into Covid times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This calendar is nonsense. No WTCSs in august and september and Abu Dhabi probably in november. I guess the reason is to leave those spare weeks for superleague.
IMO the best they could have done is to finish in august...I have never understood why they barely race in july and august in non olympic years. Besides, they might start in march as usual, or early april..
I am also curious about the format of each race. Hope they dont do eliminators cause Superleague is an expert on that and hope World Triathlon gets back to more full olympic distance instead of sprint (Hamburg, Montreal will be sprint though, and Chengdu, despite I hate it, will be an eliminator or semifinals+final)...
Given that KB will be focused in IM, my favourites are Wilde and Luis. Amongst the women, GTB and see wether Duffy races St.George and Kona both.

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They have to leave space for the Commonwealth games at the end of July.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Despite not all countries participating, Commonwealth Games is considered a Major games for World Tri, so they do leave some time around it. It's a bit tricky for 2022, given that they have races this year that roll over and increase the number of events. I suspect that they may add one more WTCS event, and likely a few more world cups to the Calendar to fill the schedule. Part of the reason for the Gap, is that Abu Dhabi is not really feasible venue in August because of the temperatures, which is why the Grand Final will likely be late (I don't think it'll be November though, likely Sept/October, the reason for the november date this year was that Bermuda was slated for October, and they wanted to spread out the dates after things were rescheduled due to COVID outbreaks). It's extremely unlikely that the gap in the Calendar is there to accommodate Superleague, it's more that working with the dates they could get for their WTCS venues, that's how it falls...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well with chengdu WTCS race scheduled for 23rd Oct Abudhabi will be likely early November. A long season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For sure, 14months if you work back to Hamburg... People will likely be more selective on races towards their overall scores, rather than just following the circuit for 14months...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stupid, no need for Hamburg and Abudhabi this year to be included when May to sometime in Nov is already longer than the seasons from a few years back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's awkward for sure, but when C19 postponements knocked those event dates out past the Grand Final for 2021, it put them in an awkward spot, the events paid for WTCS status, but the series ends with the grand final, so what do you do? It just becomes weird that there will be two hamburgs and two abu dhabis in the points for 2022, along with the long-assed series. I'll be surprised if they don't hear from the athlete's commission about the length of the season and course correct in the coming years, with the grand final not pushing past the end of september...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
It's awkward for sure, but when C19 postponements knocked those event dates out past the Grand Final for 2021, it put them in an awkward spot, the events paid for WTCS status, but the series ends with the grand final, so what do you do? It just becomes weird that there will be two hamburgs and two abu dhabis in the points for 2022, along with the long-assed series. I'll be surprised if they don't hear from the athlete's commission about the length of the season and course correct in the coming years, with the grand final not pushing past the end of september...

The 2021 World Rugby 7s Series had two events after all the other events cancelled. Now think about that, lol.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:

With many athletes living away from home to race the series stretching out past September makes it very hard. Accommodation expenses and visas would be some of the issues they face.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed, in someways the circuit remains pretty euro-centric, in the sense that it's easier for the euro based racers, who can easily hop events, whereas those from the americas, asia, africa or oceania have to base themselves in europe for large chunks of the season, or face more expensive and draining travel for the individual events. One thing done kind of well this year, was clumping the euro events, the canadian events, etc. together so that people could spend a few months in europe, and month in Canada, etc.
Last edited by: Trauma: Oct 20, 21 8:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Second Korean leg of the World cup is this weekend in Tongyeong, Heundae last weekend was pretty exciting racing, and a masterclass from Beth Potter, will be interested to see how this weekend's sprint races shape up.The swim conditions (waves and surf) will likely be less of an impact this weekend compared to last weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My predictions for Abu Dahbi

Women
Duffy
Taylor Brown
Lindemann

Lucy Charles is racing!!!!!!!! I predict a top 15...transitions will punish her

Men
Luis
Wilde