Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
OT: Anybody hearing about this "High Level" Al Qaeda member captured? Is it OBL?
Quote | Reply
I'm getting a ton of traffic about a "High Level" figure captured in Pakistan by Pakistani forces.

It just started in the last 4 minutes. Is it Osama Bin Ladin? Are you guys picking this up? Only vagueness on CNN right now.

Anyone in UK know?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Anybody hearing about this "High Level" Al Qaeda member captured? Is it OBL? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It can't be OBL, he'll only appear closer to November. But it can be someone big, isn't the Democratic Convention ending today?

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Anybody hearing about this "High Level" Al Qaeda member captured? Is it OBL? [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's been ten minutes and CNN has not updated.

Frustrating.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Anybody hearing about this "High Level" Al Qaeda member captured? Is it OBL? [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They'll release the name just as Kerry is getting on stage to give his speech at the convention. All the reports will go to "breaking story" coverage.
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Anybody hearing about this "High Level" Al Qaeda member captured? Is it OBL? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rumor in financial mkts this am (and still going) was it was zarqawi....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sorry...story has been denied by representatives of U.S. commandment and iraq's interior ministry. (i should have checked again before posting)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Surely it's not Bin Laden... No WAY that doesn't get leaked and spread immediately.

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(pssst.....better move this to the Lavender Room)
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Anybody hearing about this "High Level" Al Qaeda member captured? Is it OBL? [Brian286] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
They'll release the name just as Kerry is getting on stage to give his speech at the convention. All the reports will go to "breaking story" coverage.
Sweet! Good planning.

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Anybody hearing about this "High Level" Al Qaeda member captured? Is it OBL? [jayl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How the hell would Iraq's Interior Minister know what is going on in Pakistan?

FoxNews says the HVT was involved in the embassy bombings, no update on CNN and nothing on MSNBC. I'm sure it's someone big but definitely not UBL or Ayman Al Zawahiri)

From Yahoo! News: Person not named, yet, but is Tanzanian... that ain't Osama.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/...ty_qaeda_pakistan_dc

Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Anybody hearing about this "High Level" Al Qaeda member captured? Is it OBL? [steveperx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ISLAMABAD, Pakistan — Pakistan's interior minister on Thursday announced the arrest of Ahmed Khalfan Ghailani (search), a Tanzanian Al Qaeda (search) suspect wanted in connection with U.S. embassy bombings in Africa.
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Anybody hearing about this "High Level" Al Qaeda member captured? Is it OBL? [steveperx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We now have this iformative bit form CNN: Pakistan captures high-level al Qaeda operative

Thursday, July 29, 2004 Posted: 3:44 PM EDT (1944 GMT)

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan (CNN) -- Pakistani security forces have captured a high-level al Qaeda operative in a raid in central Pakistan, Interior Minister Faisal Saleh Hayat said Thursday.

Hayat said the east African, who was sought internationally, was captured "a few days back," and his capture shows "Pakistan is committed to fighting terrorism."

The man is being questioned, Hayat said.

"We have been quite successful ... in apprehending key figures," Hayat said.

https://ssl.tnr.com/...0719&s=aaj071904

A third source, an official who works under ISI's director, Lieutenant General Ehsan ul-Haq, informed tnr that the Pakistanis "have been told at every level that apprehension or killing of HVTs [i.e., high-value al Qaida targets] before [the] election is [an] absolute must." What's more, this source claims that Bush administration officials have told their Pakistani counterparts they have a date in mind for announcing this achievement: "The last ten days of July deadline has been given repeatedly by visitors to Islamabad and during [ul-Haq's] meetings in Washington." Says McCormack: "I'm aware of no such comment." But according to this ISI official, a White House aide told ul-Haq last spring that "it would be best if the arrest or killing of [any] HVT were announced on twenty-six, twenty-seven, or twenty-eight July"--the first three days of the Democratic National Convention in Boston.

iambigkahunatony.com
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Anybody hearing about this "High Level" Al Qaeda member captured? Is it OBL? [TxDude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<<(pssst.....better move this to the Lavender Room)>>

Interesting how nobody, like smartasscoach for example, seems to be busting Tom's balls over posting OT stuff on the main forum page. Are the popular kids exempt from the rules, kinda like highschool?

Brett
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Anybody hearing about this "High Level" Al Qaeda member captured? Is it OBL? [jhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jhc

sorry. i only looked at tom's post quickly and didn't see the reference to pakistan. there had been a rumor all am in the bond mkt that zarqawi had been captured (rumor helped the mkt rally), so i just assumed he was referring to the same event. you're correct, the iraq ministry wouldn't know what's going on in pakistan. i was just taking a quick break from work and trying to help answer tom's question perhaps you can forgive my oversight. it's been a busy day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't heard anything specific. Better that it be Zarawi(sp?), or whatever his name is. He's the planning and execution guy. OBL is just the charismatic, psychopathic figurehead.

The most current update says it was an east African who was captured days ago. Isn't Zarawi Egyptian? It must be someone else.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More proof that if you want to know what's going on, you have to look outside the US:

Ahmed Khalfan Ghailani

http://news.bbc.co.uk/...uth_asia/3938133.stm

Thanks to the BBC for reporting the %$!@#& details.

Quote Reply
Re: I don't think it is OBL or AAZ, but, ... [wmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you actually believe this conspiracy garbage? Very sad if you do.

Please send a list of acceptable dates to capture these mass murderers to the White House.

Do you consider the confirmation of the capture of the mastermind of the African embassy bombings to be bad news? If so, does it bother you that good news for the US is bad news for your team?
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Anybody hearing about this "High Level" Al Qaeda member captured? Is it OBL? [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's not anymore than was reported by Yahoo! or CNN.

Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Anybody hearing about this "High Level" Al Qaeda member captured? Is it OBL? [jayl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, it's my bad. I could have said that a whole lot nicer.

no worries..but thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: OT: Anybody hearing about this "High Level" Al Qaeda member captured? Is it OBL? [timberwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it has more to do with pertinence than anything else. One pertinent off-topic thread isn't as annoying as 100 petulant off-topic threads.

Just my opinion.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CNN must have just put it up, because it wasn't there ten minutes ago. Last I checked, all CNN said was "an east African" member of al Qaeda.

Quote Reply
Re: OT: Anybody hearing about this "High Level" Al Qaeda member captured? Is it OBL? [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big difference between newsworthy information and some inflammatory political manifesto IMO.

Prev Next