Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
No Special Needs Bag?
Quote | Reply
I am doing my first Ironman next weekend. I am using gels and the course supplied drinks (no special nutrition mixes). I am considering just skipping the hassle of the special needs bags and was curious what everyone thought of this idea. My other idea was to put an extra tube in the bike special needs bag and socks in the run special needs bag in case of issues. I didn't want to fill them up with stuff I don't need as an extra hassle.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: No Special Needs Bag? [Howe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Howe wrote:
I am doing my first Ironman next weekend. I am using gels and the course supplied drinks (no special nutrition mixes). I am considering just skipping the hassle of the special needs bags and was curious what everyone thought of this idea. My other idea was to put an extra tube in the bike special needs bag and socks in the run special needs bag in case of issues. I didn't want to fill them up with stuff I don't need as an extra hassle.

Thanks!

both options are fine. i put one of my favourite candy bars in a special needs run bag once. It was like heaven. othertimes I havent bothered with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Along with the tube also throw in a co2 cartridge, tape them together in a small bundle so they are easy to get to. After getting a flat in the first 50 mi I was happy to have a spare. Depending on race day weather predictions I may throw in a wind breaker or running jacket for late winter races. Running in hail can be a pleasant experience.
Have a great race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have the right idea. Put an extra tube and CO2 in bike special needs. Maybe a small container with extra chamois cream to reapply if it's a friction kind of day. In run special needs something like extra socks and maybe a light long sleeve shirt if the weather will chill off. If you don't need the stuff then run through and don't grab it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think I ever "used" special needs for anything. However, I always did a tube and CO2 on the bike as an offering to the bike karma gods. So far so good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I usually toss an extra tube and a single serving pack of chamois butter.
Quote Reply
Re: No Special Needs Bag? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
I don't think I ever "used" special needs for anything. However, I always did a tube and CO2 on the bike as an offering to the bike karma gods. So far so good.
This.

Extra CO2 = no flats
One CO2 = two flats

Screw you Murphy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In 27 IMs I have never used special needs. I train on whatever products are served on the course and then live off the course. Simplify, simplify, simplify . . . you won't be sorry. Best wishes, be safe, and go get 'em!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did as others said and put a tube and CO2 in bike special needs. It was extra peace of mind. I didn't use it but just know I would have needed it if I didn't have it.

Didn't mess with run special needs.
Quote Reply
Re: No Special Needs Bag? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:

Agreed, to me "special needs" means it's for exceptional circumstances.

Tube and CO2 and a treat in bike bag, a treat (liquorice all sorts in my case) in the run bag. For me, it's really just meant to help if I'm having a really bad day.
Quote Reply
Re: No Special Needs Bag? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
In 27 IMs I have never used special needs. I train on whatever products are served on the course and then live off the course. Simplify, simplify, simplify . . . you won't be sorry. Best wishes, be safe, and go get 'em!

I'm a bit of a newcomer, I've only done 17, but I completely agree. I used them for the first couple just because it was the thing to do. They are just a waste of time and add unnecessary complexity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've bought a cheap soft sided insulated kid lunch sack ($5 at target) and put a frozen water bottle in with a bagel&turkey sandwich, for the bike. I've always had a cold "real food" to eat half way through the race, and it was in long enough before the run so it didn't bother me on the run. I've never regretted it. Takes less than a minute to get it out of special needs, I stuff it in my jersey and take off, I eat it once I'm clear of the traffic.

Disclaimer: I get very hungry and I absolutely hate the taste of chocolate chip cliff bars, so I need something else for food.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only 3 IMs so a relative baby :). The best thing I ever did was put a little bottle of travel mouthwash in run SN at Canada. After 8 hours of sugar, it was a little bit of heaven.

I also always put a co2 and tube in bike sn. I'm of the better to have it and not need it than, well you know. Haven't needed it yet knock wood
Last edited by: ChrisM: Sep 4, 17 18:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought the rule for special needs was that it's all spare stuff (sure, socks, why not), but to never plan on using it.
Last edited by: timbasile: Sep 4, 17 18:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never have used the special needs bag. I understand the use, but I like using what is on course and it's all about how you train!
Quote Reply
Re: No Special Needs Bag? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:

^This!! I've done several WTC branded IMs in Europe that didn't even offer special needs bags.
Quote Reply
Re: No Special Needs Bag? [DrunkIrishman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrunkIrishman wrote:
I've bought a cheap soft sided insulated kid lunch sack ($5 at target) and put a frozen water bottle in with a bagel&turkey sandwich, for the bike. I've always had a cold "real food" to eat half way through the race, and it was in long enough before the run so it didn't bother me on the run. I've never regretted it. Takes less than a minute to get it out of special needs, I stuff it in my jersey and take off, I eat it once I'm clear of the traffic.

Disclaimer: I get very hungry and I absolutely hate the taste of chocolate chip cliff bars, so I need something else for food.

You can send them all to me!! :)
Quote Reply
Re: No Special Needs Bag? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Want to bump this thread with some questions on SN logistics. IMMT coming up, it's my first full. I've read some past threads on SN, seems many have different strategies and approaches with whether to use and what to put in, I have some questions.

1. What are the logistics and how does one find their bag? Asking of both bike and run. Run would seem pretty straightforward however they do it. For bike, do I stop, dismount, and go retrieve myself? Are volunteers somehow waiting with them in hand and I grab on fly then pull over and stop? I am solidly MOP, how hectic will the bike SN area be?

2. As of now I am planning to use SN on both bike and run to resupply on nutrition (tailwind, so liquid mix pre made in bottles in the bags). I can't/don't want to carry all calories with me from the start on either leg and can't/don't want to use oncourse stuff since I haven't been training with it. Would I be better off stopping at both SN to restock on pre made bottles, OR carrying plastic baggies of the powder mix in my pockets for both legs and then use a regular aid station to refill my bottles with water and dump the powder in approx halfway thru? If I have to stop anyways, I'm wondering if the latter option may be better as it removes risk of my SN bag(s) being lost, and I can stop at a less hectic spot. I don't mind taking one minute to stop and pour water and mix into a bottle. Seems on par or better than how long it'd take me with SN stops time-wise.
Quote Reply
Re: No Special Needs Bag? [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:
Want to bump this thread with some questions on SN logistics. IMMT coming up, it's my first full. I've read some past threads on SN, seems many have different strategies and approaches with whether to use and what to put in, I have some questions.

1. What are the logistics and how does one find their bag? Asking of both bike and run. Run would seem pretty straightforward however they do it. For bike, do I stop, dismount, and go retrieve myself? Are volunteers somehow waiting with them in hand and I grab on fly then pull over and stop? I am solidly MOP, how hectic will the bike SN area be?

2. As of now I am planning to use SN on both bike and run to resupply on nutrition (tailwind, so liquid mix pre made in bottles in the bags). I can't/don't want to carry all calories with me from the start on either leg and can't/don't want to use oncourse stuff since I haven't been training with it. Would I be better off stopping at both SN to restock on pre made bottles, OR carrying plastic baggies of the powder mix in my pockets for both legs and then use a regular aid station to refill my bottles with water and dump the powder in approx halfway thru? If I have to stop anyways, I'm wondering if the latter option may be better as it removes risk of my SN bag(s) being lost, and I can stop at a less hectic spot. I don't mind taking one minute to stop and pour water and mix into a bottle. Seems on par or better than how long it'd take me with SN stops time-wise.

1- I Did IMMT last year. I didnt stop but it seemed to me:
They line them up by race number. You need to stop on the bike and very helpful volunteers help you retrieve it quickly.
During the run, they see you coming and get them out. I wasnt planning on taking mine but next thing I knew a volunteer was running next to me holding my bag. Didnt need it.

2- Its a personal choice. I dont like stopping. If you dont mind the quick stop then maybe its easier not to carry everything with you. Id rather carry waht I need for the bike and then have some extra in SN "just in case".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Volunteers will find your bag and hand it to you. As far as them being organized enough to hand it to you on the fly, it's possible but I wouldn't rely on it. If you have to stop, it will likely be seconds, not minutes.

2. Full bottles would be easier than stopping to mix. I don't remember MT specifically, but there may not be water at the special needs stop.

I gave up on special needs bags about 15 IMs ago. It's just much simpler to use the stuff on the course. It's all just salty sugar water anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:

I've never used bike special needs in 14 IMs, but typically there is someone just prior to the SN station that is asking if you want your SN bag and will call it back with a microphone to the volunteers to retrieve. Yes, you will have to stop, but no need to dismount. The volunteers will either have your bag or you can yell your own number to them. I'm not sure how hectic it will be, but whether you are stopping or not, everyone needs to be careful around the SN station ... just like any bike aid station. I've used run special needs maybe 3 times. It's less hectic, but again, they will hand you your bag. Just grab your stuff and go.

PBT_2009 wrote:
I know some people can't live w/o the nutrition they train with, but I take two bottles to start and the gels that will fit in my bento box. When those are gone I live off the course. Do whatever you feel comfortable with, but your approach strikes me as the equivalent of people bringing water pans into transition for their local sprint tri.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:

I have only done IM Canada, but the special needs there was very organized.

Bike: As you were approaching special needs, there was a volunteer with a bull horn asking if you were stopping. If you were. he called out your number and a volunteer would be getting your bag as you rolled up. I stopped but stayed straddling my bike, the volunteer helped me open the bag and even stuffed my jersey pockets for me. It was less than a minute. I had my hydration premixed and frozen in bottles and they were still nice and cold. The stop took under a minute.

Run: Similar to bike, volunteer would yell out your number and another one popped up with your bag. you didnt have to hunt for it. Even if you don't think you will use it, it doesnt hurt to prepare one. I had frozen flat gingerale and salt and vinegar chips in my bag and I was so happy to have it.

The SN stop is also nice on the bike because it gives you a chance during a long solo ride to have a mental break. I found it gave me a boost to have a quick friendly chat with the volunteer, and to have fresh cold bottles of my personal choice of hydration mix. It helped me reset for the rest of the ride.
Quote Reply
Re: No Special Needs Bag? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't mean to ask an obvious question but, do you get the bags back if you don't use them?
Quote Reply
Re: No Special Needs Bag? [JasonD1430] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasonD1430 wrote:
I don't mean to ask an obvious question but, do you get the bags back if you don't use them?

IMMT athlete guide says you don't get them back. It may vary event to event I guess.
Quote Reply
Re: No Special Needs Bag? [JasonD1430] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasonD1430 wrote:

Officially no. If you look around the morning after the race, there is usually a pile of bags that have been brought back from special needs. You can dig through the pile and find your bag if you really want to.
Quote Reply

Prev Next