Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Men and Turnoffs [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hopefully I'm safe then - all my athletic socks are ankle socks. :)

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Men and Turnoffs [kellydomara] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hahaha. Was he cute? :)

I think I might actually prefer this situation. I think it's kind of nice to hear of guys being attracted to a strong female, rather than making desperate attempts to fly by and pretend they're stronger when they've already been passed by you.

I hate interval days sometimes when there are a lot of people out, though- then I'm the one who comes tearing by, only to slow WAY down a minute or two later- I'm cringing, like "PLEASE don't think I'm just being an a-hole!". Maybe some of these leapfrog-type guys are doing their interval workouts? Yes. Maybe...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Twitter | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Men and Turnoffs [calbear08] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
calbear08 wrote:
Hahaha. Was he cute? :)

I think I might actually prefer this situation. I think it's kind of nice to hear of guys being attracted to a strong female, rather than making desperate attempts to fly by and pretend they're stronger when they've already been passed by you.

Why do you hate Yuri?

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Men and Turnoffs [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Khai wrote:
kiki wrote:
black running socks

Are black running socks really that bad? Pretty much all my runs are trail runs so if I only wore white socks pretty soon I'd just have a bunch of reddy brown socks with white-ish tops...

definitely a ditto on the height of socks. Your ankle socks are cool -- it's the businessman's calf-high ones -- that 'just grabbed out of the drawer look' that are turnoffs. And with compression socks, even though I totally get the point, the white ones remind me of schoolgirl uniforms and the black ones of accountants running amok . . .
Quote Reply
Re: Men and Turnoffs [luckytotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I am not the typical type A guy that hangs out on ST. Plus when you go to a run club and you struggling to keep up with the bottom third of the ladies it puts you in your place pretty quickly. (Anyone in Toronto looking for fast runners to do speed work with? xsnrg.org)

I follow the interesting threads wherever they are.

Anyway, Man hands might be a bit of a misnomer. Think abnormally long hands. Man hands just sounds funnier.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JenSw wrote:
Try passing a guy as a runner.

I'll never forget a race I did in 2005/2006 time frame. I was going back and forth with a guy at the tail end of a oly. I'd surge past, he'd chase me down, etc. With about a quarter mile left I decided there was no way in HELL this guy was going to beat me so I threw down every last bit of speed I had and passed him one last time. I heard him squeak and try to catch me. He failed. I pretty much collapsed when I crossed but turned around just in time to see him finish about 20 seconds after me. He at first shot me the stink-eye then we laughed and hugged, thanking each other for pushing so hard.

I find it really motivating to chase guys down. Toward the end of a race I pick a rabbit and work my ass off to catch him. I'm usually successful and love the looks I get when I run past. Keep in mind I'm usually BOP so it is additionally insulting to these guys that they just got beat by ANOTHER girl.

I love that this is what happened at the end.

I often pick somebody close to the end of a race too--girl, guy, doesn't matter--somebody who looks like they're sufferring less than me. It is motivating and it helps me think about something concrete instead of the pain.

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
White lycra and a hairy arse.

For fuck's sake, if you must wear white lycra - WAX IT!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anything resembling preppy—step away from the boat shoes, man.

I laughed out loud at that one! I HATE boat shoes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, that "Yuri" video was HILARIOUS.
Quote Reply
Re: Men and Turnoffs [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I am not the typical type A guy that hangs out on ST. Plus when you go to a run club and you struggling to keep up with the bottom third of the ladies it puts you in your place pretty quickly. (Anyone in Toronto looking for fast runners to do speed work with? xsnrg.org)

You're a good man BLeP. That kind of honest self-evaluation starts to build you a fan club in the Womens.

Anyway, Man hands might be a bit of a misnomer. Think abnormally long hands. Man hands just sounds funnier.

The term has always given me pause, probably because I have long fingers and vascularity in my hands. I don't particularly like having long nails or painted nails and spent a good deal of time developing strength in my hands and fingers (working on crack climbing for a couple of years)--probably considered by some to be "man hands". They don't look particularly "manly" to me, but I've probably got a skewed perspective as hands are something I look at first on a guy, and I like them, well, manly;)

There is so much in the media that tells women what they should look like, not just their clothes, make-up etc, but their body parts--boobs, butts, abs, legs, hair, and, yes, hands. Damn, there's a whole lot there for a girl to live up to--especially when those images are often highly processed in some way. Some of the Womens just don't give a shit. I think a lot of us who are a little bit older have this sorted in some way or another, but there are a lot who still struggle with body image. A LOT. I would venture that even those of us who have it pretty dialed in can have some bad moments :)

It would be great if we weren't bombarded with those images and ideals in a tri forum, but we are. The pics posted on this site (Olympic hotties thread aside) of an athlete for her physique v. a surgery enhanced non-athlete are what, 1:50? I got into this with Matt once in the LR, but it still strikes me as odd that here we all are, in a TRI forum for fuck's sake, and more women aren't celebrated for their bodies' physical prowess. I mean, really, the concept that men value purchased fake boobs over a body that's accomplished an IM--and these are often guys who spend hours and hours training for an IM themselves, so in theory "value" it in some way--and the woman who's put in all those hours to make that happen. Well, huh? I guess it will remain a head-scratcher to me.

BLeP, this is my long, convoluted, coffee-fueled rant way of asking you to reconsider using the term, "man hands." Funny as it might sound, it still one more thing that denigrates strong women.

And just to reiterate, nuthin but luv for ya, man:)

--------
Last edited by: luckytotri: Mar 12, 13 5:34
Quote Reply
Re: Men and Turnoffs [blackthugcat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blackthugcat wrote:
White lycra and a hairy arse.

For fuck's sake, if you must wear white lycra - WAX IT!!!!

OK, men aside, why do they even make white lycra? White lycra? Fuck. I don't know what you do in your lycra, but, um, white is not the color that I want. Ever.

And yes, wax it, homies.

*Edited for unacceptable spelling. Some things I just can't let go. I should stop trying to type early in the morning.

--------
Last edited by: luckytotri: Mar 12, 13 10:33
Quote Reply
Re: Men and Turnoffs [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
determination wrote:
Anything resembling preppy—step away from the boat shoes, man.

I laughed out loud at that one! I HATE boat shoes.

They are so popular right now, and I just fucking hate them. Even when I'm sailing :)

God, this young woman I work with has some metalic ones. What? How that is attractive in any way is just beyond me.

There's this whole return-to-the-80s preppy murderer thing going on campus with the guys. It is, quite possibly, the most unattractive look I have seen ever. Everything that is stands for, every message that it sends out, is absolutely repulsive to me. Eeeewwww.

--------
Quote Reply
Re: Men and Turnoffs [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
determination wrote:
Oh, that "Yuri" video was HILARIOUS.

PURE AWESOMENESS! "Not today Baywatch"--hilarious!

Thanks for that Khai :)

--------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Khai wrote:
Hopefully I'm safe then - all my athletic socks are ankle socks. :)

Black ankle socks are totally, completely, good-to-go. As you said--trail running, white just doesn't make sense.

Confession: I bought compression socks, black, because they were the least offensive color to me (almost all of my gear is black, but I'm boring like that). I bought them in August, but didn't try them until winter because I couldn't bear the look of the black socks and shorts thing.

Vain, party of one?

But here's where it gets really bad: I like them, I wear them for all of my long runs because I think they really do help. Will I wear them when shorts season rolls around? Nope.

--------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Consider the term out.

Now let me slink back to the LR and try to get this foot out of my mouth.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Men and Turnoffs [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Consider the term out.

Now let me slink back to the LR and try to get this foot out of my mouth.

No, no slinking necessary. I really, really appreciate your response. Thank you. You've made my day.

--------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Toward the end of a race I pick a rabbit and work my ass off to catch him. "

I'm totally guilty of this, I'm very competitive. I, however, am not as nice as you. I don't usually call them a rabbit. I call them road kill.
Quote Reply
Re: Men and Turnoffs [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
i've learned to never, ever say anything (even 'good morning') to a guy I'm passing on the bike. I used to be stupid enough to do this in races (nothing dissy, just chatter about conditions or whatever). They will bleed from the eyeballs to catch you.

This made me laugh a lot!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Men and Turnoffs [calbear08] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Give 'em the benefit of the doubt ;)

kelly dunleavy o'mara
@kellydomara
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yuri is awesome!
Quote Reply
Re: Men and Turnoffs [cjdavids] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cjdavids wrote:
I already complained about this in a different thread, but removing his shirt during a co-ed workout. Especially when the physique isn't exactly Chippendale!

When running with two girls (I'm male) a couple of years ago I was told in no uncertain terms that the only man on the planet allowed to work out shirtless was David Beckham.

Not sure who the current holder of that office is. Cristiano Ronaldo? Or still Beckham?

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Keep in mind I'm usually BOP so it is additionally insulting to these guys that they just got beat by ANOTHER girl.

That is excellent.

My biggest turnoffs: poor manners and dumbness. Not sure in what order.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Men and Turnoffs [Jan de Visser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beckham still rules.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JenSw wrote:
Beckham still rules.

+1

+1000 if he removed that plastic appendage people refer to as "Posh"....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i did my first oly a few months ago and was 'chicked' on the run several times. I would have hated to see how many people in general passed me in the swim. I just remember seeing different colour caps flying past.
Although i passed some of these women back (men too) in the run leg, i said 'nice run' to the ones who were running fast and looking strong (which were a few ag'ers, 'elites' and a couple of pros, judging by the calf scribble). I even got a 'thank you' when being passed haha. There are fast people out there who have been doing this for a lot longer than i have and who may always be faster than me no matter what. I can swallow the pride when being beaten by a member of the fairer sex. Theres always someone faster. I had Felicity Sheedy-Ryan pass me, and those little legs can move ill give you the tip!
Quote Reply

Prev Next