Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Many, Many Thanks To The Bad Monk!!!
Quote | Reply
I finally had a chance to meet fellow STer Bad Monk (along with MartyG and Kevin Grogan) at the Great Floridian.

Bad Monk is doing his first IM in November at IMFLA, so let's all do like Richard Gere did for Tibet and beam our positive thoughts at him :-)

Monk stayed down at the bike corral on Friday night until I was able to get there from the airport (I didn't get into Orlando until about 6:00PM from Minneapolis, where I was at an airline conference, and was busily assemble my bike next to the corral floodlights at about 8:15PM for a 9:00PM check-in cutoff time) and put a new 12-25 cassette onto my HED disc. What a lifesaver!! I wasn't able to find one during my travels in the week leading up to the GFT and thought I was going to have to do the bike with my 11-21. I can only imagine how my legs would've felt after trying to get up the Buckhill climbs and then Sugarloaf :-(

This guy is awesome, people. Y'all know I'm a retired former "trained killer" (hee-hee) and a 2nd dan black belt in Tae Kwan Do, so I just want to announce that I've "got his back" if he ever needs a little help when it comes to dealing with a conflict. I'm kinda like Dubya in that matter....you know, attack first and sort out the bodies later ;-)) (just kidding!!)

Seriously, can't say enough about him and all the other kind people I met this last weekend. You STers are truly one of a kind!

Respectfully,

Tony
Quote Reply
Re: Many, Many Thanks To The Bad Monk!!! [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you Tony G?

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: Many, Many Thanks To The Bad Monk!!! [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hai. Am I in trouble or do I owe you money or something? Also, I was never near the incident and my wife can vouch for me, in case the cops are asking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nah, just good stuff brotha! :-)

-

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, Monk deserved all the accolades. Him and Mrs. Monk were out there most of the day, taking pictures and whatnot. I'm going to try to fly out and root him on for IMFLA.

It was a real privilege to meet him and the other STers. I've gotta say that in over 10 years of doing this sport, I can count on one hand the number of jerks that I've come across. The sense of community in triathlon is the best.

I'm gonna sign up for Long Course Worlds and the wife and I are going to make a party out of it. Then GFT in '05 :-)

Tony
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hai is a yes???? You're Tony G?

-

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Si ;-) Yes. Tony Baloney full of macaroni.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Huh, I thought you might be Tony Soprano.

Another bad ass. But looking at your pictures you are slightly more svelt. ;

kiwipat

per ardua ad astra
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, if you are, I have to thank you for the green QR PR I have at home, thanks a lot Ironhead :-))) it was good to see you at the GF results, I thought you had stopped racing!

-

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is that you, Paulo? From Portugal?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cannot believe that the other day on some thread I snapped at you! I bow to you, oh great IH! :-)))

Like I said, good to see you!!!

-

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! You still have that Green PR? Man, I went under 10 hours on that thing at GFT in '96. I remember those blue-colored Topline Cranks and the 8 speed Dura Ace stuff. That was my first really serious tri-bike.

Dude, are you finally done with your education? How many engineering degrees do you have now? You must be, like Dr. Paulo, or something.

Hey, I retired from the Navy in '99 and got pancaked by a taxicab on my bike about a week later. I missed the '99 IMH and GFT, and then couldn't train or race again until late last year. I did GFT in '03 on about 9 weeks of training (ugh!) and then got reinjured and didn't start back up until May 1st of this year. But I'm healthy now, and my job with NWA allows me to travel for free.

Better get your butt out to HI one of these days! I was just talking to PigIron the other day through the emails. He's still in China, fomenting revolution and messing up their computer networks (he thinks he's some kind of computer expert, or something ;-)

Hey...that political stuff in the other room is just for fun. I don't lose a bit of sleep over who'll win on November 2nd. I had my time in the military. Let someone else worry about it, now :-))

Tony
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very, very cool to talk to you, man! :-)))

-

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you mean this Beautiful green QR Kilo PR?

a true classic i love it!!!

=====================================
S�rgio Marques
When it hurts is when it feels good ;-)
Sergio-Marques.com
Quote Reply
Re: Many, Many Thanks To The Bad Monk!!! [sergio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's the one. The way they make 'em is why I love 'em so much! That bike gave me many a hard, fast race :-)

Truly innovative and forward thinking was Dan. I'm a pure steep-angle guy forevermore.

Tony
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh boy, that's a manly bike, wish I had one of those! :^)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those frames should still be in production!!!!

=====================================
S�rgio Marques
When it hurts is when it feels good ;-)
Sergio-Marques.com
Quote Reply
Re: Many, Many Thanks To The Bad Monk!!! [3@lete_man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you think that one's manly, go to the "Big Kahuna and the Great Floridian" thread a page or so back and check out my studly bright yellow one. It matches exactly the color that runs down my backside :-)))

Tony
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh! So you ride a bike these days! Last time I saw you you were driving around in a van, telling people walking their bikes to ride 'em!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That wasn't me, brah. I didn't get off my bike the whole day. And I'd never say something like that to fellow pain-sufferers. I've been on the receiving end of that kind of smack at a few races.

I hit the finish line, went over to the parking lot behind the area, cleaned up, changed clothes and went over to the Waterfront Park turn up to the finish line to cheer on fellow racers. Stayed out around there until about 11PM and then drove back to my hotel room

If you find out who the dude was, let me know and I'll help with the communal blanket party ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You sure it wasn't you? Remember Kona 1998??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh! Maybe you misunderstood me. Not telling racers to get on their bikes, but a certain guy with a black Kestrel you and pigIron once spent some time giving the grand tour of Perl Harbour... :^)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lars?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes...

Our Portuguese friend told me to check out this thread, so I decided to say hi!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello, big daddy!!! Are you back in Svenska now, or are you still leading a nomadic existence?

I retired in '99, went to work for Northwest Airlines at the Detroit hub and transferred out to Honolulu last May. :-)

I still swim in that big 50 yard pool over on Pearl Harbor, btw. Not that it helped me this year, but hey....only 5 weeks of IM-specific training. I'm not complaining in the least.

You gotta get back out to HI. It'll be like old home week. You going to do IMH anymore?

Tony
Quote Reply

Prev Next