Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Longevity of Triathlon as a hobby/life style [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think time is a big factor for why people leave the sport, but I also think fatigue is a factor. After 10 years of triathlon, I've been on a break for two years (initiated by injuries) and other than having more time (and money) to do other things, I'm really enjoying not being so fatigued all the time.

I do miss it though, and may do some races next year although I think I'll stick with short course. Less training time, less fatigue, cheaper, lots of fun and I'll still have plenty of time to golf, which my girlfriend and I have gotten into this year. Part of what we've enjoyed so much about golf is that we can do it together. She bikes and runs, but our speeds are very different so it's challenging for us to do those together when I'm training.
Quote Reply
Re: Longevity of Triathlon as a hobby/life style [Supersquid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Supersquid wrote:
I think time is a big factor for why people leave the sport, but I also think fatigue is a factor. After 10 years of triathlon, I've been on a break for two years (initiated by injuries) and other than having more time (and money) to do other things, I'm really enjoying not being so fatigued all the time.

I do miss it though, and may do some races next year although I think I'll stick with short course. Less training time, less fatigue, cheaper, lots of fun and I'll still have plenty of time to golf, which my girlfriend and I have gotten into this year. Part of what we've enjoyed so much about golf is that we can do it together. She bikes and runs, but our speeds are very different so it's challenging for us to do those together when I'm training.

I always feel my strengths are better suited for half distance and full distance but I still enjoy sprint distance and encourage people to do them especially beginners. Not nearly the time commitment for training, you can typically ride whatever bike you have and finish, your race day is finished while it's still early in the morning, and sprint triathlon are often run by some local RD so you're supporting local racing organizations.
Quote Reply
Re: Longevity of Triathlon as a hobby/life style [Supersquid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Supersquid wrote:

This is the common theme I have heard from many the past 2 years.

"I am tired of being tired".

I could completely be guessing but it seems people race more IM's in a year now than ever, they race more long course races more frequently and thus are just all getting tired.

The logistics on top of the training time make this sport very hard if you work full-time and have a family.

I think as you said above, many will return to short course racing. Hopefully good options exits at all levels for these races to really stay alive, otherwise the sport will shrink because doing IM year in and year out is not sustainable.

It's amazing what a break will do for you. I as well have taken a break. Money spent on other great adventures, grown tremendously in my career and ironically feel the healthiest, strongest, and best I have felt in years.

I personally will always do triathlons. Some years more than others, I might veer away for a few years. But I do firmly believe the amount of IM's I do again in my life will be less than the amount I have done to date (4).
Quote Reply
Re: Longevity of Triathlon as a hobby/life style [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
There are plenty of people that just run, cycle or swim for fitness. But it's rare to find people that do all three just to stay in shape (and those guys are probably lurking on this very site).

-------

I'm one of those guys. Endurance sports have always been a part of my life, starting with my first 10K at the age of 8 (48 now). My first tri was in 2005 but don't think I've ever done more than three races in a single season. From 2007-2016, did 3 IMs and Norseman, along with a few Halfs and an odd Olympic or two... taking at least a year break between each one - mostly due to cranking on work, etc... but my intent has also been not to grind myself in the ground.

Other than 1.5 years where I had a bit of a back issue and ballooned up in weight a bit... have always just stayed consistent.

And truly love to run, ride and swim. Again, part of my strategy is to just keep doing it, year after year... stay in the game. And because I love doing it.

My goal, I hope, is to never "retire" from racing tris. Signed up for Roth next July... although may have to defer for a year. Have been pretty decent - pretty FOP - for last 10-11 years in racing. Figure as long as I keep going, keep pretty sharp, keep relatively injury free, that should continue. And if not, no worries. Can still just do it.
Quote Reply
Re: Longevity of Triathlon as a hobby/life style [CU427] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CU427 wrote:
Supersquid wrote:

This is the common theme I have heard from many the past 2 years.

"I am tired of being tired".

I could completely be guessing but it seems people race more IM's in a year now than ever, they race more long course races more frequently and thus are just all getting tired.

The logistics on top of the training time make this sport very hard if you work full-time and have a family.

I think as you said above, many will return to short course racing. Hopefully good options exits at all levels for these races to really stay alive, otherwise the sport will shrink because doing IM year in and year out is not sustainable.

It's amazing what a break will do for you. I as well have taken a break. Money spent on other great adventures, grown tremendously in my career and ironically feel the healthiest, strongest, and best I have felt in years.

I personally will always do triathlons. Some years more than others, I might veer away for a few years. But I do firmly believe the amount of IM's I do again in my life will be less than the amount I have done to date (4).

Yesterday watched an interview with Mark Allen

He did 15 IM distance races in 15 years I believe it was. He said people do too many long races and don’t take time off

That and never have an off season. He took 3 moths or so off each year

Not getting enough sleep. Said he slept 10 hours a night and took a nap as well
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
surfNJmatt wrote:
I have been doing tri for about 12 years now with a break here and there. In that time I have seen so many people local and national come and go. almost none of my friends do them anymore.

Wondering why it does not having the holding power of some other activities

I think it holds extremely well - at least within my circle of athletes. Maybe I'm doing something right.

Ruble Triathlon Coaching Average of 30 coached PR's per year
Florida Triathlon Camps Train in North Americas winter training destination
Ruble Racing Events Midwest Triathlon Racing
Ruble Timing Midwest Event Timing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just want to address the actual title : ''''Longevity of Triathlon as a hobby/life style''''

As a hobby - I love riding my bike, I love going for a run, I enjoy swimming for relaxation.
As a lifestyle - I dont want to be a body builder, I dont want to do crossfit, I want to maintain my cardiovascular health, I want to be a good role model.

With the above noted, I believe Triathlon will forever be a part of my life. If not training for anything, i still try to do atleast one aspect of Tri on a daily basis. I'm not putting in 15 hour weeks, 52 weeks a year. They'll be weeks where i've trained less than 6. But as a hobby and lifestyle, its always going to be there in some degree.
Quote Reply
Re: Longevity of Triathlon as a hobby/life style [CJMcF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CJMcF wrote:
My wife did an ironman last October. She trained really hard for it for 9 months, had a great race and experience - and has not been on her bike or near a pool in the 12 months since then - she's run a few times and goes to the gym a couple of times a week.

It just took too much out of her and she's turned off totally from triathlon now. It's a big commitment in terms of time and money - it took over her life for the best part of a year and she grew to resent it.

This hits very close to home for me. I did IMFL last year (1st one -- last one) and I haven't been the same since. I didn't have the day I wanted but that's not even it. It was the countless hours of training and total consumption of my life, as well as my wife's. I could go through the misery of a IM race day again... but the training to get there. Nope. Never again.

This year I did 2 sprints and 2 Olys...was on the podium(3 AG/1 Masters) for all four... and... big deal. Originally I was going to do a 70.3 at the end of my season but said fuckit. Not worth it. Don't care.

RIght now, my motivation is very low... and has been since the IM (yes, a year). We'll see what next year holds but I am very close to throwing in the towel and taking a break. But I know I need to do something, even if it's not swimming, biking, or running (which is the sport I hate the most BTW and my run splits back this up)... I love food and beer to much.
Quote Reply
Re: Longevity of Triathlon as a hobby/life style [dyarab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s winter! Come summer you will be good to go again!

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Longevity of Triathlon as a hobby/life style [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toothengineer wrote:
It’s winter! Come summer you will be good to go again!

Maybe. We'll see.

I am supposed to do the RNR Marathon in Arizona with a buddy in January, but I possibly have re-injured my foot and am in a holding pattern right now to see what it does. If the injury lingers, I am yanking the plug like I'm starting a mower. If it happens, it will be my first (and last) stand alone marathon. I don't even have lofty goals for it, just to break fours hours and I'd be happy.

The thing that is, I guess... concerning... is my low motivation for such a lengthy time.

Maybe you're right... maybe not. I'll definitely know by the time the new year rolls around.
Last edited by: dyarab: Oct 12, 18 6:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll keep going as long as I'm able. Sure, it can be expensive (mostly around the initial outlay and setup), but my health really doesn't have a price tag. I train as motivation to stay healthy, not necessarily to place (though that happens sometimes!). I see it as a lifestyle, part of who I am now. Started in 2011, haven't looked back (and don't intend to). :)

- John
"Have courage, and be kind."
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Stafford Brown [ In reply to ]
Re: Longevity of Triathlon as a hobby/life style [Stafford Brown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you now have the PERFECT reason to train a bit, plan workouts with your daughters. Don't worry if the pace or structure is not perfect for your fitness, just do it with them. I bet it is exactly the sort of thing they will greatly appreciate in the future.

Bonus - the faster they get, the faster you get to work out!
Quote Reply
Re: Longevity of Triathlon as a hobby/life style [helo guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You bet guy! They are only 7 and 10 and enjoy swimming and biking and running. It's developing their sense of adventure.

I can run next to them as they bike and they have been in several running races now. This time of the year I used to glance at races for me, now I glance at races for them.
Quote Reply
Re: Longevity of Triathlon as a hobby/life style [Etip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Etip wrote:
I read something recently that said if you run your Runner, if you swim you're a swimmer, if you bike you're a biker, but if you run, bike, and swim you are not a triathlete. Strangely that's a true perception.

Not strange at all.

If you swim-bike-run then you are triathlete. Not if you do a bit of swimming, do a bit of biking and do a bit of running.
Quote Reply
Re: Longevity of Triathlon as a hobby/life style [tuckandgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tuckandgo wrote:
Etip wrote:
I read something recently that said if you run your Runner, if you swim you're a swimmer, if you bike you're a biker, but if you run, bike, and swim you are not a triathlete. Strangely that's a true perception.

Not strange at all.

If you swim-bike-run then you are triathlete. Not if you do a bit of swimming, do a bit of biking and do a bit of running.

If you compete in triathlons, you're a triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Data point from me:

I did my first triathlon in 1985 as a 15 yr old. Raced competitively as a distance runner through high school. I’ve raced over 150 multisport races over the past 33 years with a few years of no races due to either injury, school, life circumstances. Have raced more duathlons than triathlons. Never done an IM.

I also ride and race Mtn bikes. Probably ride my Mtn bike more than any other bike.

Love downhill skiing
Been SUPing for a few years
Gravel ride on an old crossbike
Snowshoe

Enjoy swimming but the logistics make it more challenging. Pretty much don’t swim unless I have a race or a snorkeling vacation planned.

Had a bad broken leg 6 years ago which limits my running to a few short runs per week.

The biggest reasons I haven’t done a triathlon since 2015 are: race costs and the fact that my kids are competitive club sports athletes and I don’t have many free weekends.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm having a rest from triathlon this season (southern hemisphere). I've not done any full distance events, just local sprints/oly's/70.3. I've been competing for 3-4 years and came from a cycling background, with a particular skill and enjoyment for TT's, which is what mainly lured me to triathlon. I'd always enjoyed running and was a good swimmer in high school. The predominate reason for the rest is I just hate swim training. There are only about 6-7 races a year in my state and I can longer justify spending so much time on something I don't enjoy. I guess it was also a bucket list type of hobby for me too. I've done it now, back to cycling :)
Quote Reply
Re: Longevity of Triathlon as a hobby/life style [Dangs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 61 and a lifelong endurance sport junkie. Although I did a couple of triathlons in 1980, I was strictly a runner until 2006 when I shifted over to triathlon full time due to injuries and the need to reduce the amount of running time. But once you pass 50, the number of long course triathletes falls by half with each new 5 year age group. By sixty years old, 98% of all IM participants are younger than you. At this age, training is much, much harder -- especially running. I have watched a number of highly competitive athletes my age throw in the towel over the past several years as running injuries became too much for them. At that point, most end up cycling only, and getting their kicks riding centuries and gran fondos. I expect that will be my future too, but for now, I'm still enjoying the grind and hoping to hang onto long course triathlon as long as I can.
Quote Reply
Re: Longevity of Triathlon as a hobby/life style [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
I'm 61 and a lifelong endurance sport junkie. Although I did a couple of triathlons in 1980, I was strictly a runner until 2006 when I shifted over to triathlon full time due to injuries and the need to reduce the amount of running time. But once you pass 50, the number of long course triathletes falls by half with each new 5 year age group. By sixty years old, 98% of all IM participants are younger than you. At this age, training is much, much harder -- especially running. I have watched a number of highly competitive athletes my age throw in the towel over the past several years as running injuries became too much for them. At that point, most end up cycling only, and getting their kicks riding centuries and gran fondos. I expect that will be my future too, but for now, I'm still enjoying the grind and hoping to hang onto long course triathlon as long as I can.

This is a good mindset. You enjoy the grind, but after that many years of grinding it almost feels like a job you want to retire from even though you enjoy it, love it.

I believe 20 years from now I will also tip the scales a little more to the enjoyment side.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting thought. I did tri's for 15 years and thought I would do them late into my 60's. Injury after injury, and now some permanent damage kinda shelved it for me for good. A decade of those years was ironman training and it sucked away ever bit of my 30's. My only two trips to Europe were centered around races, which really made the trips a fraction of what they could of been. I think most people stay in triathlon far longer than most hobbies, but the people that I used to race with have all moved on to living a life that is much more rounded than what a dedicated tri life provides. Nobody half assed it. As evidenced by seeing some of the same names on here posting daily as they have been for 20 years, some are certainly in it for life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im single-ish and will probably never get married (don't see that in the cards for me)

but I do it for the fun. The three disciplines divide the monotony of one sport. It helps me with stress (stressful corporate job), and I thrive on the excitement of race week and traveling to races. I grew up traveling every weekend for sport events (bless my parents hearts haha). I love competing. The atmosphere. The energy.

I have been tired/burnt from work a few times and taken a month or so or even longer off but always come back. Plus it gives me an excuse to not fall back into my old college habits of partying/drinking - which is what many in my profession do to relieve stress (finance)

With a full time girlfriend/wife/family/other life commitments - ya - it is just too much.I have been there and done that and it was super difficult. Now I am just a selfish 30 year old do what I want A hole haha so Im all in for a while
Quote Reply
Re: Longevity of Triathlon as a hobby/life style [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twinkie wrote:
Im single-ish and will probably never get married (don't see that in the cards for me)

but I do it for the fun. The three disciplines divide the monotony of one sport. It helps me with stress (stressful corporate job), and I thrive on the excitement of race week and traveling to races. I grew up traveling every weekend for sport events (bless my parents hearts haha). I love competing. The atmosphere. The energy.

I have been tired/burnt from work a few times and taken a month or so or even longer off but always come back. Plus it gives me an excuse to not fall back into my old college habits of partying/drinking - which is what many in my profession do to relieve stress (finance)

With a full time girlfriend/wife/family/other life commitments - ya - it is just too much.I have been there and done that and it was super difficult. Now I am just a selfish 30 year old do what I want A hole haha so Im all in for a while

You have good reasons to do it. Avoid the come party with us guilt crowd, and you can capitalize well on your 30s. You're being you and doing the right thing.

<- Previously a selfish 30 year old do what I want A hole - turned out fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Longevity of Triathlon as a hobby/life style [Geronimo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see lots of post about it being to expensive.

When I was a kid I raced RC cars and it was extremely expensive to the point people were stopping so they created cost controlled classes.

I wonder if such a division could work in tri?

Stock road bike (everyone must ride same brand and model)
Stock Tires
no aero wheels
no aero helmet

maybe this would be a cheaper alternative and make it more man on man instead of wallet vs wallet

Just a thought

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
surfNJmatt wrote:
I see lots of post about it being to expensive.

When I was a kid I raced RC cars and it was extremely expensive to the point people were stopping so they created cost controlled classes.

I wonder if such a division could work in tri?

Stock road bike (everyone must ride same brand and model)
Stock Tires
no aero wheels
no aero helmet

maybe this would be a cheaper alternative and make it more man on man instead of wallet vs wallet

Just a thought

As soon as you pick Brand A, you've alienated Brands B to Z. And what if RD Joe chooses Brand B while RD Jane requires Brand M? That could get unwieldy very fast. Instead of picking a brand, you simply create an Eddie Merckx division which generally consists of the following rules:
NO AERO EQUIPMENT ALLOWED
  • BIKE FRAME - no time trial frame, only standard road bike set-up
  • AERO BARS - none allowed
  • WHEELS - no rim depth greater than 36mm
  • HANDLEBARS - standard road bars only
  • HELMET - no aero helmet
  • CLOTHING - no skinsuit

Quote Reply

Prev Next