Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Last Tango In Whistler. The unofficial Ironman Canada thread. [seattlejp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seattlejp wrote:
The race course buoys are not set up until race day (maybe the day before?) but there are swim buoys directly to the right of the pier year round. I think they are 100m apart. It's not the race course, but still a great way to get a swim in Alta lake.

Assuming you are referring to BaseHYDRO for hydration as I believe Red Bull was concourse last year for the provided energy drink...
Quote Reply
Re: Last Tango In Whistler. The unofficial Ironman Canada thread. [Dombledorre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dombledorre wrote:
For the run course, a question about shoes. I have a pair of Vaporfly 4%'s that I've been waiting to debut for a race but they don't have too much tread and I can see gravel being an issue. Should I stick with my regular trainers, Pegasus 35, which have a bit more tread or do you think 4%s would be ok on the terrain?[/quote

Most of it is tarmac, very little hard packed dirt, which is like tarmac.

It’s difficult for me to conceive of any situation other than pouring rain and mud on a trail where I wouldn’t wear 4% so I think you are good.

I without a doubt will be wearing mine.
Quote Reply
Re: Last Tango In Whistler. The unofficial Ironman Canada thread. [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like nice weather on race day, mid 70s.

Much better than last year’s mid 90s.

I believe to have read somewhere the run course has a lot of shaded areas. How accurate is this? Can anyone offer a description of the amount of shade.
Quote Reply
Re: Last Tango In Whistler. The unofficial Ironman Canada thread. [SBRLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRLaw wrote:

I believe to have read somewhere the run course has a lot of shaded areas. How accurate is this? Can anyone offer a description of the amount of shade.

Yes, there is a decent amount of coverage on the run course. I would say 50-50 per loop. The spots w/o shade are super exposed - especially the wooden bridge along the lake!!

See you out there!
Last edited by: SwizBeats: Jul 19, 19 11:18
Quote Reply
Re: Last Tango In Whistler. The unofficial Ironman Canada thread. [SBRLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRLaw wrote:

First half of the loop is shaded, second half is pretty exposed, the run around the lake section along the highway and the wooden bridge is fully exposed but theres shade between the wooden bridge and highway section.
Quote Reply
Re: Last Tango In Whistler. The unofficial Ironman Canada thread. [Aid.dre.an] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PSA: it is freezing in Whistler. I got here 2 days ago. It was 6 degrees (c) this morning

It is going to warm up a bit going into next week but in the morning it’s going to be coooold.

I rode Callaghan this morning at about 1030 and it was really cold. I had a pretty thick cycling jacket on and I was glad I did.

Coming out out of the water you are going to want outerwear unless it really really warms up

Big picture will mean cold morning but great conditions if its not windy
Quote Reply
Re: Last Tango In Whistler. The unofficial Ironman Canada thread. [Animalmom2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds to me like ideal conditions. I’ve been tracking the weather and it’s looking really nice, mid to low 70s.
Quote Reply
Re: Last Tango In Whistler. The unofficial Ironman Canada thread. [Animalmom2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Anybody know about the 70.3 bikecourse? It seems to have changed back to last years course on the website? Is this accurate?
Quote Reply
Re: Last Tango In Whistler. The unofficial Ironman Canada thread. [triracerboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Id be surprised if it wasn’t one loop of the 140.6

But... im wrong it’s same as last year

http://m.ironman.com/~/media/72b334dec14041109d09452809fe4d90/im%20703canada19%20coursemap%20bike%2041119%20cc%20web.pdf
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
10 days ago it was one loop of the full course - now it seems to have gone back to last years?
Quote Reply
Re: Last Tango In Whistler. The unofficial Ironman Canada thread. [triracerboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As far as i know, it's the same course for the full an the half... (2 vs 1 loop for all 3)
Quote Reply
Re: Last Tango In Whistler. The unofficial Ironman Canada thread. [benleg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People may be bored of this but in case you aren’t. Bike Recon:

I rode the bike from T1 to Callaghan and back to Nordic (about 65km) this morning (I live on Nordic) - I left at 6:35Am. It was 9 degrees in the village and going downhill from the 99 turnaround was very cold to me.

I had a trisuit on and a relatively warm cycling jacket. It was bearable other than my hands which got really cold with normal gloves. I will wear FF gloves I think

On top of Callaghan it was 4.8 degrees. The descent wasn’t as cold because the sun was out in patches and when it hit my black jacket I warmed up a lot.

They were painting the lines on Callaghan so you will have new center lines at least. One thing I noticed that Callaghan road isn’t in the best shape. The half of the road to the shoulder on each side has a decent amount of cracks and people will naturally not ride there so you will be getting some congestion. There is a massive pothole on the descent but luckily on one of the uphills on the descent so you won’t be going too fast probably.

Also there are sizable gaps between the road and the bridges so be careful descending in aero when you cross onto the bridges (i got a big bump and a scare). Got up to 69 KPH on the descent.

The highway is great and on race day you should be able to fly on the downhill legs assuming not too much congestion

I didn’t go down past Callaghan for the 20k “new loop” past Daisy Lake but based on my ascent meter it shouldn’t be too steep.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the weather report... look like one more of those race where it will be hard to figure the layering. :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks - very timely info. Will be adding some arm warmers plus ff gloves to the bike bag, maybe a vest. But prob won’t wear the vest unless it is really cold after the swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Last Tango In Whistler. The unofficial Ironman Canada thread. [runmini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just did a practice swim 2500m

Lake had a little wind so going out faster than back. Little waves slipping water into my mouth

Really clear. It was sunny in the afternoon. Here’s the good news : Garmin says the water is 20 degrees so the swim won’t be cold. Decent chance sun is out at 830 or whenever you exit the water and it won’t be too bad

However if no sun it will be cold.

Super nice out right now
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So where's a d when's the slowtwitch.com meetup?

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I promise that it is 1 loop of the 140.6.
PROMISE.
Quote Reply
Re: Last Tango In Whistler. The unofficial Ironman Canada thread. [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
So where's a d when's the slowtwitch.com meetup?

There’s a swim on the 24th for starters. Two of us so far
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reading through the race day schedule on this year’s athlete guide, I noticed there is only mention of a pro women’s swim start, no mention of pro men. Does this mean there will only be a pro women’s field for the full IM?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRLaw wrote:
Reading through the race day schedule on this year’s athlete guide, I noticed there is only mention of a pro women’s swim start, no mention of pro men. Does this mean there will only be a pro women’s field for the full IM?

Yes, IMC alternates Pro men/Women fields each year. At least, they have the last few. Women's turn this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Last Tango In Whistler. The unofficial Ironman Canada thread. [CyclingClyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know the numbers of participant (full vs half, AG breakdown)?
Quote Reply
Re: Last Tango In Whistler. The unofficial Ironman Canada thread. [benleg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bib list for the full has about 1440 names by my count. Probably the same for the half.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the info! It's looking to be chilly on race morning for the bike. Do you mind me asking what you're wearing on the bike? Arm warmers? Anything else? I was thinking of gloves but that would be hard for me to eat my bars in the first hour. I know someone who has worn dish gloves on a cold IM bike.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Last Tango In Whistler. The unofficial Ironman Canada thread. [70Trigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just planning to use my sleeved kit (to the elbows). I'll likely have a plastic bag to stuff in the top half, covering chest and stomach. This helps block the wind and and easy to dispose of at an aid station when it starts to warm up.

--------------------------------------------
TEAM F3 Undurance
Quote Reply
Re: Last Tango In Whistler. The unofficial Ironman Canada thread. [Multisportsdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ll be wearing leg warmers and a jacket that I have had a long time and will toss

It’s warmed up a bit. Tomorrow morning I’ll be swimming at 7 am to see what conditions are likely to be like at race start and to see how cold it is with wet kit vs dry

It was very cold with dry a few days ago

To be clear I’m a mop and this is my first full so I’m not concerned at all about stopping at an aid station, stripping off extra gear and trashing it

You contenders may have a different view. 5 minutes is neither here nor their for me
Quote Reply

Prev Next