Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Kind of freaking out here - update [Gazelle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I'd definitely say the no swimming thing is a plus...as for the other stuff, fvck. We'll be pulling for you, feel free to be as quirky, funny, snarky, or as pissed as you want. :-)

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Kind of freaking out here [Gazelle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my wife loved this book after getting the initial news

"crazy sexy cancer tips"

after the initial news we were in a gift shop and the book just appeared in front of me....

I bought it for her...

http://www.crazysexycancer.com/

she especially liked the "fuck cancer" hat...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to say Heads Up! Attitude is everything. You will have craptacular days and then days where you feel like you can beat the shit out of your CA.

Sending lots of positive energy your way and prayers. Hang in there girl.

N~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All of these posts aren't just words - we really are all thinking of you. Keep us updated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about your news. It sucks. I can't imagine how you must feel.

My advice? Ask for help. Let everyone around you know that you need help and support. Some will offer it; some will give it; some will be uncomfortable seeing you in a weakened state and be unable to deal with it. You will find out there are a lot of angels out there who will appear just when you need them. It is, IMO, why we are here--to help one another.

It's no comparison to you, but when my Dad passed away last November, for the first 2 or 3 months when someone would ask me how I was, I would tell them straight out some version of "crappy." And I'd tell them why. And some people would open up and tell me their stories or give me advice. Others would freak out and say stupid things or just wander away. Some were uncomfortable seeing me, normally a very strong person, appearing so weak.

The good people around you will stand out. Let them help you.

I hope many angels find you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So sorry to hear about all of this. I am definitely thinking of you and sending good vibes.
My mom was just diagnosed two months ago, has had a double masectomy and finds out today about her chemo plan, so I can appreciate all the scariness that goes along with this for.

A good piece of advice a friend of mine gave to my mom is to know that it's ok sometimes to play the "cancer card."
When you just don't feel like doing whatever you shoud do (swim) or don't want to be nice to someone for a day, you're allowed to play the cancer card with no guilt attached. My mom said that really has stuck with her and made it easier for her to say no sometimes (Normally a complete people-pleaser).

Remember, right now, it's all about you and taking care of yourself, so focus on that and don't let the other stuff interfere. (except, of course, posting updates for us on ST and/or your blog, because we all want to know how things are going and if you need us for anything)
Quote Reply
Re: Kind of freaking out here [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very funny - I"ll have to check that out. I could so see myself wearing that hat. ;-)

And I'm very glad to hear that it sounds like your wife is okay - tough to live with that hanging over your heads, but hopefully the good news will be confimed. And you're so right - this does make one realize that life is short - or it can be - so why the hell don't we all live as if that's the case? I know I don't. I act like I have all the time in the world to do a lot of different things, which is isn't really something one can take for granted. Good wake-up call.

--------------------

http://thethighmasterroutetokona.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good advice on the cancer card...My mom had B/C about 5 years ago. Fairly soon after treatment she was writing a check at Wal-Mart (I have no idea why she was shopping there.) The clerk asked for ID then commented that the picture didn't look like her. He reply was "that's because I had cancer an all of my hair fell out." It shut the clerk up pretty quickly. I wish I would have been there.

Then there's the time I came over and her "nice wig" was all jacked up in the front. I asked what happened and she apparently melted it while removing something from the oven. So please remember wigs & baking don't mix!

You're in my thoughts Tasha, and you'll get through it! Just think in the end you can get front row parking for your bike if you ever do Danskin :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gazelle, so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. We are often thrown strange curve balls and never really understand why. But you sound like a strong person with an amazing attitude. Fight strong, fight brave, and let us know when we'll be celebrating your remission! Take the support from your friends, and realize that you are loved.

I'll be thinking of you and keeping positive thoughts for you, particularly when you're going through a rough patch. Just remember it's only a rough patch, and believe that there will be better time coming around the corner.

Karen

---------------------------------------------------------------

"There's good all around you, you just have to be able to see it".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BTW - It looks like your pup has come into your life at the perfect moment. Perhaps he found you just to be your best friend through this. Dogs know....

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
George Carlin (RIP) started one of his last monologues like so:

"Fuck Lance Armstrong. Fuck him and his balls and his bicycles and his steroids and his yellow shirts and the dumb, empty expression on his face ... I'll choose my own heroes, thank you very much"

I thought that was SO funny! Well he HAS done a lot for cancer research I grant him that but....an Olsen twin? now Kate Hudson? ugh. I should look for and find the link, there was a really good recent article in the New York Times, about Ted Kennedy, Lance Armstrong and how a lot of people with cancer also get depressed as they don't want to 'fight', or they see that they have to put on a strong face like its a 'fight' and they don't necessarily want too. I found I was surprised at my own reaction and my friends were/are too. People think, oh she is strong, has done so many IMs and ultras, this is going to be easy for her. I thought that too, and I am surprised to find myself crying at odd times of the day. It is OK to not be strong all the time and just cry, I think. I dont know if this is uplifting or helpful but its how I feel and wanted to tell you this. But joking is also great, I especially enjoy making people feel uncomfortable when they say dumb things. You will hear a lot of dumb comments. Have you checked the Chemo Chicks site? tons of it is about breast cancer and its pretty funny, well if this CAN be funny.
Quote Reply
Re: Kind of freaking out here [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know I'm strange because I think bald is quite beautiful.

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Re: Kind of freaking out here [kbee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL, that's pretty funny. George Carlin rocks - always will, even though he's no longer with us. I hear you on the whole "being strong" thing - it's just been a week since all this started and already my emotions run the full gamut every day, from cracking up at stupid things to being too upset to talk to friends on the phone.

I will say this right now though - a couple of nights ago there was a story on the national evening news, the "feel good" segment they run at the very end, and they had some woman who goes into hospitals to sing and chat with cancer patients, to "lift them up" and all that. And while that's beautiful and lovely and touching and so on, if anyone ever walked into MY room and launched into Kumbaya or something, there would be a death. And it wouldn't be mine. :-)

And I just talked to my doctor who got the results back already, which did confirm that it is indeed cancer. Bummer - but at least I was prepared so I'm not in as much shock as I was on Thursday. I guess, to paraphrase the great Gilda Radner, I'm now part of an exclusive club no one wants to be in.

--------------------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish you a speedy recovery. Since you've been training regularly, it always helps to be in the best shape you can going into the fight.

I do agree with you on the hospital singing though. If someone entered my room, the door would shut and you'd hear screaming (not me).

I'll be pulling for you!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So sorry to hear!! Keep us posted and keep up the sense of humor!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Good advice on the cancer card...My mom had B/C about 5 years ago. Fairly soon after treatment she was writing a check at Wal-Mart (I have no idea why she was shopping there.) The clerk asked for ID then commented that the picture didn't look like her. He reply was "that's because I had cancer an all of my hair fell out." It shut the clerk up pretty quickly. I wish I would have been there.

Your mom sounds like a hoot. :-) Good for her - and I'm glad to hear that she's okay. And that sounds just like something I would say....

In Reply To:
You're in my thoughts Tasha, and you'll get through it! Just think in the end you can get front row parking for your bike if you ever do Danskin :-)

Seriously? Sweet! And who says cancer doesn't come with any fringe benefits?? ;-)

--------------------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't post often, but I will be praying for you and your family.

Quote Reply
Re: Kind of freaking out here [vols fan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tasha,

I am bummed at the news, but am sending positive vibes your way. You are going to beat this! I plan to invite you to see the Blackhawks afterwards, to celebrate.

Zev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tasha/Gazelle -- I don't venture frequently into the womens ... so, I just saw this thread. Please know you are in my thoughts/prayers/moments of lucidity etc.

My mother died of breast cancer in 1986. The reason I mention this sad fact is that because of women like my mother, women today don't. They survive, and live. When this ordeal has passed, bring your pooch out to Colorado ... I'll show you a few awesome trails that will make you both smile.

cancersucks.com

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

And isn't surviving cancer one of the criteria for a shortcut to the front of the Kona lottery line?

Seriously, about 7 years ago, my mother-in-law went through breast cancer treatment (she was in her mid-60s), and the only reason she won't do Race for the Cure with me is that she's too busy gardening, traveling overseas, and having fun with her friends. I hope your treatment goes as well as hers did.

"Real winners aren't content with yesterday's victories"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's tough news Gazelle - you have a TON of support from all of the faceless/nicknamed tri community peeps all over the world from the Slowtwitch pages. You are in countless thoughts and prayers. Keep your spirits up, and your sense of humor cracking. We will be thinking of you as you begin this fight.

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very sorry to hear about your news. We went through a little scare last October. While not cancer, it remains something to keep an eye on.

Of course knowing more than ten women, one of them has had a malignant tumor, my Mom, in 1979. She is still going strong at 81 years of age. While she played a lot of girls basketball back in the day, she was never a triathlete. If there was any secret to her cure, I would have to say it was her oneryness. She is hard core Irish Catholic, her Mom wsa even born in Ireland.

So, my limited advice is to hang tough, don't pull any punches and play on through. My money is on you.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Re: Kind of freaking out here [Willrace4food] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Tasha,

I am bummed at the news, but am sending positive vibes your way. You are going to beat this! I plan to invite you to see the Blackhawks afterwards, to celebrate.

Zev

Thanks Zev. Ah, the Blackhawks.......a game is a perfect way to celebrate. If I can't whack the puck around myself (though I told the captain of my team that I hoped I'd still be able to play some games), then might as well watch others do it, much more skillfully I might add.

--------------------

Quote Reply
Re: Kind of freaking out here - update [jcurtis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Tasha/Gazelle -- I don't venture frequently into the womens ... so, I just saw this thread. Please know you are in my thoughts/prayers/moments of lucidity etc.

My mother died of breast cancer in 1986. The reason I mention this sad fact is that because of women like my mother, women today don't. They survive, and live. When this ordeal has passed, bring your pooch out to Colorado ... I'll show you a few awesome trails that will make you both smile.

cancersucks.com

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom - it shocks me now hearing about so many people who have lost someone to breast cancer, in many cases their moms. You're right - it's thanks to her and women like her that they now have a much better idea of what they're doing and how to treat it.

And, you're on - Kona would love colorado! Well, me too of course, but right now we're all about him around here. :-)

--------------------

Quote Reply
Re: Kind of freaking out here [SaraJean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

And isn't surviving cancer one of the criteria for a shortcut to the front of the Kona lottery line?

Seriously, about 7 years ago, my mother-in-law went through breast cancer treatment (she was in her mid-60s), and the only reason she won't do Race for the Cure with me is that she's too busy gardening, traveling overseas, and having fun with her friends. I hope your treatment goes as well as hers did.

Seriously, about the Kona thing? Not that I would take that route, that's not my style, but it's just funny/ironic that I had the whimsical thought that I should change the name of my blog to thechemotherapyroutetokona. ;-)

And, thanks for the positive thoughts - glad to hear your MIL is doing so well!

--------------------

Quote Reply

Prev Next