Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: KOna predictions [df] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
/Apart from Macca, what other athletes that were dominant in other races yet had no results in Hawaii? And by no results, I mean never top ten. /

When a person wins several Ironmans in other venues, I would think a top 10 is not a sucess for them. Even top five is a little dissappointing, but let's go with that. Spencer Smith, Yeves Cordier, Oliver Bernard, Frank Heldorn, just to name a few. Mark Allen's problem wasn't so much with the heat, but that he would go off the front, often by 10 minutes or more in the bike, and then just blow up. Macca doesn't go off the front, but races in the main pack, and then wilts. Wilting is different than blowing, because you are going for it...When he sorted out his pace, then the rest is history. If Macca slows down, he will just be in the second group, racing for top 20..He is not a Mark Allen, or Dave Scott, when it comes to Hawaii....Could he eventually win, it's possible, because even Molina, who was horrible in the heat won it one year. But it was a relatively slow time for that generation of winners, but would be very competitive in todays winning times....
Quote Reply
Re: KOna predictions [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These are my predictions if the conditions are like last years:

Stormin's going to 2peat. EASILY.

1.Norman Stadler
2.Cameron Brown
3.Faris "The King of Nut Huggers" Al-Sultan
4.Victor Zyemstev
5.Tom Evans
6.Steve Larsen
7.Sergio Marques
8. Macca
9.Reid
10.Lessing

PRO-Women

1.Belinda Granger
2.Natascha Badmann
3.Kate Major
4.Jo Lawn
5.Monica Caplan

**** If its an unusually cool and calm day........my money's on Macca to take it all.He's in a class by himself when the temps are cooler.

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply
Re: KOna predictions [paulthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, you got it. I couldn't find a thrid Aussie female. I guess I could have put Michelle Jones or Keat, but it didn't occur to me at the time. In retrospect I could also have put Lawn and Brown in to keep the antipodean vibe going nicely.
Quote Reply
Re: KOna predictions [d.w.weston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jo King? ;-)
what's going on with her? still racing?
Quote Reply
Re: KOna predictions [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw her name on a results sheet for a fun run...I think it was 8th in about 57 mins for 14k. I think she's still struggling.

I know Jo pretty well, as I used to train with her and we went on a couple training camps. Lovely person. total psycho.

I think she never really recovered from her DNF at Forster 2002. As I said though, she is a lovely person.
Quote Reply
Re: KOna predictions [d.w.weston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess the 1999 season took its toll later...what was it? Roth, Federicia, 3 halfs in Europe all this in 6 weeks, also Nice, Kona, Forster...
This season was unreal.
Quote Reply
Re: KOna predictions [SwordFish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
your crazy putting reid so low
Quote Reply
Re: KOna predictions [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guys, one athlete that was VERY dominant elsewhere but had a tough go at Hawaii is Monty himself. When he talks about "not having the heat genetics" the man is speaking from personal experience. In the 80's he was up front and winning many many races. Back then there were not a zillion other Ironmans to pad your resume with (and I am sure if he had entered some of today's temperate ironmans while he was in his peak, he'd be a multiple ironman winner). The only long course races of any pedigree with any real deep field were Hawaii and Nice.

If you go to a spinning class or watch a lineup of dudes training on a treadmill at the gym, for the same effort, the dude generating the most sweat is the one who doe "not have the heat genetics"
Quote Reply
Re: KOna predictions [theTrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Normally I'd put him down as the winner,but, he seems to be battling with
on and off sickness.
I'm not sure this is a banner year for him even though he seemed good at Vineman.

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply
Re: KOna predictions [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to be a stickler or inadvertently highjack the post but it is incorrect to throw around terms such as "heat genetics."

The Kona environment monty describes where athletes "wilt" seems to be created more by a psychological condition. (And persons with identical genes (twins) can have different psychological conditions.) There is no scientific evidence that I am aware of that shows different levels of heat tolerance within one species like humans. A human is a human. And an examination of other animals will indicates that sweat rate is a mechanism which humans have adapted in order to keep cool, so the person who sweats the most may have to take in more fluids to compensate but there is no evidence to suggest that the "heavy sweater" will not be able to take in higher levels of fluids and thus it could be hypothesized that the "heavy sweater" is better adapted to racing in hot conditions, but this would need to be tested.

Sorry for the soapbox, but it seems popular for people to throw around the term "genetics or genitics?" without any evidence that Macca is any different then Reid. Psychologically they may be completely different animals and that alone could set them apart rather then some excuse about the heat. And the psychological ability to deal with the extreme heat/humidity may be enough to win or lose when racing at the pointy end of the stick.

alright back to lurking for another five years.

Noah Dowell[b]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]These are my predictions if the conditions are like last years:

Stormin's going to 2peat. EASILY.

1.Norman Stadler
2.Cameron Brown
3.Faris "The King of Nut Huggers" Al-Sultan
4.Victor Zyemstev
5.Tom Evans
6.Steve Larsen
7.Sergio Marques
8. Macca
9.Reid
10.Lessing

PRO-Women

1.Belinda Granger
2.Natascha Badmann
3.Kate Major
4.Jo Lawn
5.Monica Caplan

**** If its an unusually cool and calm day........my money's on Macca to take it all.He's in a class by himself when the temps are cooler.[/reply]
Very interesting list. Lots of people racing well right now. Just wonder why you left Tissink off. Top 10 last year and he will come primed.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: KOna predictions [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frank,

You're right. I like Tissink,Taubert and Torbjorn too.
Holy shit! That sounds like a great law firm.

kinda like Dewey,Cheathum & Howe...

Quote Reply
Re: KOna predictions [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you go to a spinning class or watch a lineup of dudes training on a treadmill at the gym, for the same effort, the dude generating the most sweat is the one who doe "not have the heat genetics"

Well, I sweat all over the damn place when I'm cycling indoors...but I'm working on the "heat genetics"...

I think there's something to Dowell's post about the ability of the human body to adapt; perhaps us heavy sweaters go into a really warm environment and then try to hydrate like it's 75 degrees and 25% humidity, hence we fall behind real fast and can never make it up.

Through serious trial and much personal error (and pain) I'm finally learning that it's all about the electrolytes, dummy, and if I'm on top of that, voila!---no cramping and performance improves. Still very much a work in progress, but remember Molina's Kona win was after a few years of allegedly not being able to handle the heat---so he figured out what he needed to do in order to race well there, and guess what? He'll always be a Kona winner.

The brain's a real powerful thing---if you believe something to be true or not be true, you're right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]Frank,

You're right. I like Tissink,Taubert and Torbjorn too.
Holy shit! That sounds like a great law firm.

kinda like Dewey,Cheathum & Howe...[/reply]

Not only does it sound like a great law firm, when you add all those others, it sounds like a great race.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: KOna predictions [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Victor is racing Ironman Florida and will not be in Kona.

He will be racing the Lake Louisa Sprint Trithlon on Sept. 22nd going up against local star Kevin Grogan.
Quote Reply
Re: KOna predictions [Klep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll put $20 on Macca---to DNF
Quote Reply
Re: KOna predictions [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'll take that bet i have faith in my boy macca he gonna come thru..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
every year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cam brown will be up there for wsure. his swim and bike are much improved and he is yet to put together a good run in hawaii. once he does, he will win.
Quote Reply
Re: KOna predictions [lxrchtt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Past champions, top 10 of previous year, and age group champions of previous years.[/reply]

Actually: do you get to come back if you post the fastest swim, bike, or run split? I am thinking about Jan Sibbersen who gets the fastest swim spit every year but might have troubles qualifying as a pro... maybe not. Not sure: does anybody know?

Alex

---
First with the head, then with the heart. -- HG
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Btw... this is the thread for last year. Who picked Normann and Nina/Natascha? :)

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=219794;page=1;mh=-1;;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC

And 2003:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=47112;page=1;mh=-1;;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC

---
First with the head, then with the heart. -- HG
Last edited by: lxrchtt: Aug 31, 05 22:01
Quote Reply
Re: KOna predictions [lxrchtt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
'normal' hawaii conditions
stadler
brown
sultan
reid
beke
lessing
vuckovic

badman
allen
granger
major

--
kind regards
Kai Baumgartner
Last edited by: kaihawaii: Sep 1, 05 3:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WOW, beating macca, REEEEIIIIIIIDDDDD, and Lessing in my first try at hawaii, hmmmm that would be something out of my expectations ;-)

I'm already feeling the pressure on me :-)

too bad zyemtsev is not racing, he would be a serious contender

=====================================
S�rgio Marques
When it hurts is when it feels good ;-)
Sergio-Marques.com
Last edited by: sergio: Sep 1, 05 5:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh shit, that hurt... you're saying that Sergio will lose against an AG? Man...

And FYI, Sergio beat that AG on his very first IM race.

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next