Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tracker shows her first 2.9 miles at 5:50 pace, faster than Frodeno and Kiehnle. I assume that can't be right?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was?

That race is still going on. Granted, pending disaster, it's likely decided. But Ryf can take a shower, get a massage, change her clothes, and mosey back to the finish line to congratulate 2nd place.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [Magwister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Magwister wrote:
You stated small people can't go fast. Pooley clearly can. Carfrae never would go 4:44 in Melbourne....has she ever got close to that in an IM (I can't be arsed to look that up)? Pooley ran a 3:21 marathon (8th fastest split) compared to Rinny's 3:08 (3rd fastest split). So Pooley didn't exactly blow up on the run from an especially hard bike, etc.

BTW, I'm not saying Rinny can improve. I just think you can go fast if a smaller athlete i.e. Rinny's size isn't just the reason she isn't a fantastic cyclist (relative of course).

Did you read what I wrote earlier in the thread too. There has never been an athlete as small as Rinny who bikes a ton faster and still runs fast. Paula and Natasha biked faster but they ran slower. There is a finite amount of energy to dispense during an IM from a smaller body (smaller tank than a large athlete, still the same size wheels to move through the air)....take more on the bike have less for the run. If you generate more top line watts, there is more kilojoule usage on the bike and the total storage on the body is a lot lower for the small athletes (you might argue the consumption is lower too, so it's a wash, but there is a reason why being either too small or too large is bad for IM racing). Large athletes can definitely ride faster for TT's, but they carry more weight on the run. Frodo is a borderline freak.

Anyway, it's kind of academic. Rinny's bike was in the range that she needed to be in for everyone but Ryf and previously Chrissie. Her strategy has been pretty successful in general. I'm not convinced that she can produce more watts. She lives with TO and would have access to all kinds of guidance. She might be able to get more aero, but how much. Her bike was in the range (5 min) of Mel Hauschildt. No one is beating up on her? She was 3 min behind Mary Beth Ellis, and a minute off Swallow and Vesterby.

Ryf is just better!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rinny is extremely good.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
Was?

That race is still going on. Granted, pending disaster, it's likely decided. But Ryf can take a shower, get a massage, change her clothes, and mosey back to the finish line to congratulate 2nd place.

Yes. As in Ryf WAS 1st, long ago, in the past. While those still running in the present are way behind still running.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happy for Heather Jackson.

Only fools never change their minds and I'll never change my mind about that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you think Ryf looked *too good* coming across the line? I mean literally everyone else looked like they were suffering at the end. Just saying :/
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, Lange, on the mens side, broke the run course record, bounced around for a while, and had to be calmed by his countrymen. Anja Beranek just did a cartwheel (albeit not that great of one).

The thing about Ryf was that she wasn't challenged today. At all. She didn't have to dig. She's faster than her performance today.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Do you think Ryf looked *too good* coming across the line? I mean literally everyone else looked like they were suffering at the end. Just saying :/

You mean like "I'm full of EPO" good? I really doubt it. Some people are just genetic freaks for their sport, like Michael Phelps, Chrissie Wellington, and apparently, Daniela Ryf. I would pay $$$ for a three way Ryf, Wellington, and Carfrae Showdown.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [ak_piper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ak_piper wrote:
... I would pay $$$ for a three way...

lol
Last edited by: speedskater: Oct 8, 16 18:56
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [speedskater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
speedskater wrote:
ak_piper wrote:
... I would pay $$$ for a three way...

lol

I didn't really specify it was to be a race, did I?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
Well, Lange, on the mens side, broke the run course record, bounced around for a while, and had to be calmed by his countrymen. Anja Beranek just did a cartwheel (albeit not that great of one).

The thing about Ryf was that she wasn't challenged today. At all. She didn't have to dig. She's faster than her performance today.

Yeah I kind of already regret implying that. It's just hard to believe she's 20 minutes faster than the next fastest woman. That would be like Gwen winning by 4.5-5 minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [ak_piper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A time machine that allowed that, and for us to put Seb and Frodo in the Ironwars, would be awesome.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
georged wrote:
A time machine that allowed that, and for us to put Seb and Frodo in the Ironwars, would be awesome.

That's what photoshop is for!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:

Yeah I kind of already regret implying that. It's just hard to believe she's 20 minutes faster than the next fastest woman. That would be like Gwen winning by 4.5-5 minutes.

Well Daniela biked 1 min slower than Heather Wurtele and 2 min slower than Mel Hauschildt at 70.3 Worlds over half the distance when she was totally trashed and not peaking. Today she was 20 and 15 min ahead of them on the bike respectively. She was flat on the bike in Australia, likely from her summer due sub 9's on back to back weekends, but seems to have gotten her bike legs back in time. Note that she ran pretty fast at 70.3 Worlds (1:21). I think she is just that good. She finished 40 min off of Frodo today. At Roth she was 47 min behind, but at Roth Frodo was on a TT, whereas here in Kona he is racing tactical for the win, which is not usually the fastest outcome. Plus in Roth the cameras are less disciplined than in Kona so Frodo likely gets a bigger benefit in Roth than Kona. Her results are in line with the top pro man.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As you state, there are ups and downs for both large and small people.

Hopefully, Spirig will race more IMs (she's done one) and we can see how she does relative to bike and run times (Cozumel in 2014 (won it) she had a similar discipline profile to Rinny (OK bike, faster run))...she is almost identical in size to Rinny (2lbs heavier apparently at 117). Her 70.3 results suggest she could have a fast bike, but generally she has a very rapid run after good bikes. Incidentally, 70.3 Switzerland...Pooley came second behind Ryf with Spirig in third. Pooley (2:19:47) was close to Ryf (2:16:35) over the bike and ran a bit faster (1:17:01 to 1:17:55) but lost it due to the swim. Spirig was slower in both (2:32 and 1:20) over both, but this was back in 2014. Spirig has put in better times this year over 70.3. This year at Switzerland Pooley was 1 min slower than Ryf over the bike but ran 4 min slower as well. However, she focused on cycling this year for the Olympics.

Would be cool to see Pooley focus on IM now as well (have no idea if she plans to), after Rio and her return to cycling has finished (she has run a 2:44 open marathon so she has potential to go decently at Ironman).
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:
so the commentator just quoted the 7 mins lost by potts to be specifically due to the tires being 25c, and not because they were gatorskins w/ butyls...so he said likely no one is running "wide" tires. that ridiculous answer aside...

can someone give us a real answer as to what % of pros are running 25s?

Not many. A few probably using 24c Turbo Cottons.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [flyingirish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like Ryf had a faster run split than Carfrae.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like tracker is not reachable since about 8pm local, results can be found on Sportstats has well as a backup:
https://www.sportstats.ca/...s.xhtml?raceid=40975
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
georged wrote:

Are you implying there is a place in the space-time continuum where those three would have a threesome with you? With Seb and Frodo watching to boot?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [Team_Doc28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I noticed too and I thought the same thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

Unfortunately I thought the same thing. It is possible/likely that she just put together the race of her life. Her run in previous years IM's have not been that stellar and probably not up to her capability. Her run has been her weakness but she just proved to the world that she can run with the best. She has zero weaknesses and those that are great.... have no weaknesses.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

Unfortunately I thought the same thing. It is possible/likely that she just put together the race of her life. Her run in previous years IM's have not been that stellar and probably not up to her capability. Her run has been her weakness but she just proved to the world that she can run with the best. She has zero weaknesses and those that are great.... have no weaknesses.

This. She was the best TRIATHLETE on the day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Plus in Roth the cameras are less disciplined than in Kona so Frodo likely gets a bigger benefit in Roth than Kona.

Absolutely untrue. Because of the world record attempt in Roth, the cameras were given explicit instructions to avoid giving any benefit to Frodo.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Hawaii 2016 official thread [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:
Don't worry. Just 3 or 4 more front page articles and Steinmetz will get her fit dialed.

I doubt it. He's too busy being the world's biggest P5X apologist.
Quote Reply

Prev Next