Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I sprained an ankle because I fell while walking and eating a donut. Make me feel better with your "got injured because I did something dumb" stories. Overuse injury stories not welcome. [Robert Preston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Robert Preston wrote:
I’ve always been a reptile guy. I got my first big python when I was in college. One day after class, I ate some baked chicken then went to clean the snake cage. I was going to feed it a chicken that day and I wanted to tidy up its enclosure before feeding time. It smelled the chicken on my breath and bit me across my face. Top teeth went in my nose, bottom teeth caught the right side of my cheek at the corner of my mouth. When she got me, I immediately - and instinctively - pulled my head back. That dragged her teeth down my nose and opened up some pretty big scratches. The snake let go and I got a tetanus shot. I ended up looking like a cat had mauled my nose. I still have scars. I also still have snakes but I’ve not taken a hit to the face since.

Burm? Retic? How big is big?

Similar thing happened to a colleague once. She had been hand-raising an orphan possum, but as she leaned in to scrub a 35 pound boa constrictor's water bowl, the usually docile snake couldn't resist and nailed her directly on the top of her delicious possumy-scented scalp. Of course, the rest of us thought it hilarious, but there comes a size with big snakes when the appropriate emergency response isn't simply amusement and ridicule.
Quote Reply
Re: I sprained an ankle because I fell while walking and eating a donut. Make me feel better with your "got injured because I did something dumb" stories. Overuse injury stories not welcome. [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wimsey wrote:
I pulled a muscle in my shoulder shadowboxing/cheering for Rocky Balboa fighting Ivan Drago when Rocky IV was playing on cable TV.

I was bouncing on a neighbor's trampoline, trying to see if I could touch a tree branch above it. Was looking up instead of down for the next bounce, landed with toes on my right foot curled under. Broke 3 toes.

Nowadays, even the thought of jumping on a trampoline makes me shudder and my blood run cold.

After avoiding major injuries through possibly 1000 races over the decades, a friend invited me to join a seemingly innocuous 3 mile "mudfest" obstacle event.

All was good until we reached a pit containing a large circular trampoline sunk about 3 foot down. There was a bit of a queue of teams waiting to negotiate the obstacle. Some people just jumped down to the trampoline, walked across, then hauled themselves up and out the opposite side. The more appealing method, (at least to the primitive, never-truly-dormant male-adolescent-stupidity lobe in my brain), was to take a run-up and land on the tramp at speed, in an attempt to bounce directly out the opposite side of the pit.

Easy as! What could possibly go wrong? Especially for a dude in his mid-50s?

The moment I hit the tramp, my questions were answered, as my right leg buckled beneath me as my lateral quad ripped from its tendon not far above the knee, with me body-slamming into the opposite soil wall of the pit. I immediately knew what I'd done, as I felt the unattached muscle recoil as it snapped back toward my hip. The pain was instant and excruciating.

Unfortunately, surgical reattachment wasn't an option, and the subsequent loss of stability and strength will never be regained.

Certainly, not recommended. At best, I give it half a star.
Last edited by: satanellus: Dec 1, 22 6:51
Quote Reply
Re: I sprained an ankle because I fell while walking and eating a donut. Make me feel better with your "got injured because I did something dumb" stories. Overuse injury stories not welcome. [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
Time to create a length limit for titles!

I thought there was one, but it looks like Dr, Tigerchik broke that, too?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: I sprained an ankle because I fell while walking and eating a donut. Make me feel better with your "got injured because I did something dumb" stories. Overuse injury stories not welcome. [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:

I thought there was one, but it looks like Dr, Tigerchik broke that, too?

I thought "A chat with Kat Matthews after the car crashed into her and she now moving onwards " was too long because it was 3 lines on my phone. This one is about double that. Lol
Quote Reply
Re: I sprained an ankle because I fell while walking and eating a donut. Make me feel better with your "got injured because I did something dumb" stories. Overuse injury stories not welcome. [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
---
Some thread titles are unnecessarily long. This one... Every single character adds to the meaning of the thread. Clear. Concise. And each letter necessary to the overall meaning of the goal of the thread. I say, let it stand.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: I sprained an ankle because I fell while walking and eating a donut. Make me feel better with your "got injured because I did something dumb" stories. Overuse injury stories not welcome. [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was a burm. About 10 feet so nothing giant. Ive had big burms and retics off and on for the last 30 years or so. I also had a green anaconda once. That was interesting. Now I’ve got a 7 foot burm, 5 foot African rock, and a dwarf retic that’s some kind of morph with a name a mile long.
Quote Reply
Re: I sprained an ankle because I fell while walking and eating a donut. Make me feel better with your "got injured because I did something dumb" stories. Overuse injury stories not welcome. [Robert Preston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool, especially the anaconda. Females especially are seriously impressive. Sounds like you're likely to have a couple of big snakes in another 5 years or so.

What's the temperament of your African rock like? I've had limited experience with them but the few I've been involved with were treated with circumspection by their keepers.

10 foot is about the length when getting bitten stops being fun. Of course, I mean fun for those watching. If you're the one being bitten, the fun would sort of stop at less than that. ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: I sprained an ankle because I fell while walking and eating a donut. Make me feel better with your "got injured because I did something dumb" stories. Overuse injury stories not welcome. [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
---
Some thread titles are unnecessarily long. This one... Every single character adds to the meaning of the thread. Clear. Concise. And each letter necessary to the overall meaning of the goal of the thread. I say, let it stand.

Exactly - where/how would you cut it?

Title: I sprained an ankle ...
Body: ... Because I fell while walking and eating a donut. Make me feel better with your "got injured because I did something dumb" stories. Overuse injury stories not welcome

Title: I sprained an ankle because I fell ...
Body: ... while walking and eating a donut. Make me feel better with your "got injured because I did something dumb" stories. Overuse injury stories not welcome

Title: I sprained an ankle because I fell while walking and eating a donut.
Body: Make me feel better with your "got injured because I did something dumb" stories. Overuse injury stories not welcome

Title: Make me feel better with your "got injured because I did something dumb" stories.
Body: I sprained an ankle because I fell while walking and eating a donut. Overuse injury stories not welcome

Title: Overuse injury stories not welcome
Body: I sprained an ankle because I fell while walking and eating a donut. Make me feel better with your "got injured because I did something dumb" stories.

Quote Reply
Re: I sprained an ankle because I fell while walking and eating a donut. Make me feel better with your "got injured because I did something dumb" stories. Overuse injury stories not welcome. [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
---

No problem with the title but it's definitely not concise. Dr TC could have easily gone with: "I suffered a donut injury! Please share your dumb injury story."

Any more info and context could've been in the OP.

I'm just grateful for the entertaining read and knowing I'm not only the only one to do stupid crap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:

I once got severe eye strain from reading an extremely long title on a triathlon forum

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: I sprained an ankle because I fell while walking and eating a donut. Make me feel better with your "got injured because I did something dumb" stories. Overuse injury stories not welcome. [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread makes me feel normal.

If I saved every trophy for the stupid things I've done...
Well, my house would be jam packed.

I'm the poster boy for I can't walk and chew gum at the same time - in other words, a triathlete (eye roll emoji goes here).

Sometimes a long title is fine.

Recover well

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: I sprained an ankle because I fell while walking and eating a donut. Make me feel better with your "got injured because I did something dumb" stories. Overuse injury stories not welcome. [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm the poster boy for I can't walk and chew gum at the same time - in other words, a triathlete (eye roll emoji goes here).

I bet you can swim ok with a buoy, paddles, and fins all at the same time though.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: I sprained an ankle because I fell while walking and eating a donut. Make me feel better with your "got injured because I did something dumb" stories. Overuse injury stories not welcome. [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First road bike and clipless pedals lead to two idiot moments-
#1- on the trainer in the basement with said new pedals- riding along and the trainer lock released- bike drops to carpet and shoots me into the wall leading to black eye and the wife bringing me my helmet the next time I was on the trainer.
#2- first time outside with said pedals on ride with a student who was really into cycling. Asked if I had used pedals before and of course I said "Yes" with my mind adding- in the basement. First stop light we get to I lean left and unclip right and tip over into him in front of countless cars. Needless to say he laughed and did ask me to go riding with him some more so that was good. Just some road rash from tipping over but plenty embarrassed.

One pool story- was with swim group at the pool and I am AOS and I barely float- well they tried to convince me to do try the butterfly. The life guard actually jumped in because she thought I was drowning- Olympic swimming is never going to be in my future

"There are no problems in life, just many leadership and learning opportunities." SED
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

I bet you can swim ok with a buoy, paddles, and fins all at the same time though.

No....not very likely with the addition of the fins. That would probably be pretty comical actually, up to the point where I drowned.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Dec 1, 22 7:54
Quote Reply
Re: I sprained an ankle because I fell while walking and eating a donut. Make me feel better with your "got injured because I did something dumb" stories. Overuse injury stories not welcome. [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:

This is my favorite self-deprecating tri-joke:

Me: "Hey! Wanna see a triathlete jump?!!!"
Them: "OK, Sure!!!"

< just stand there >

Me: "Wanna see it again?!!!"

Quote Reply
Re: I sprained an ankle because I fell while walking and eating a donut. Make me feel better with your "got injured because I did something dumb" stories. Overuse injury stories not welcome. [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:

No....not very likely with the addition of the fins. That would probably be pretty comical actually, up to the point where I drowned.

was a joke ;-) poking fun at triathletes, they swim like cats

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: I sprained an ankle because I fell while walking and eating a donut. Make me feel better with your "got injured because I did something dumb" stories. Overuse injury stories not welcome. [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It suddenly occurred to me that there was a thread accounting our injuries, many MANY years ago

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...?post=275724#p275724

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:

Quote:

was a joke ;-) poking fun at triathletes, they swim like cats

:-) As was mine. I probably wouldn't drown. Also, outside the fish thread you can just say "y'all" instead of "they". ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
... poking fun at triathletes, they swim like cats

As I've said before, I swim like a Stone --- in a Brian Jones* sorta way

* I once got called out for providing a link to who Brian Jones was, so I don't do that anymore

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
... poking fun at triathletes, they swim like cats

As I've said before, I swim like a Stone --- in a Brian Jones* sorta way

* I once got called out for providing a link to who Brian Jones was, so I don't do that anymore

I used to have a t-shirt from the official Brian Jones fan club that said "Underwater my guitar sounds like laughter". Most people didn't get it, the ones that did thought it was sick...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: I sprained an ankle because I fell while walking and eating a donut. Make me feel better with your "got injured because I did something dumb" stories. Overuse injury stories not welcome. [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The rock python is squirrelly. It’s never bitten me but it has bitten my kids a time or two. We’ve had him since he was a hatchling. I can handle him without getting bitten but handling him is different than handling others. I basically try to act like a tree when I’ve got him out - I try to stay still but when I do move it’s in very slow, deliberate movements, I keep the head away from my face and don’t let people walk close by him. I don’t have any trouble with him but as soon as I put him back in the enclosure he starts striking like crazy. So I always service his enclosure last. I put him up then leave the room immediately. I really need to spend more time with him. He will be a handful at 10-12 feet. I had one that big when I was in college and he was difficult to deal with. I do some educational programs with the snakes we have. We’ve got a few ball pythons and rosy boas to go with the rock, retic, and burm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Throw on a ankle strap and snorkel and we used to do that in college. Why? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: I sprained an ankle because I fell while walking and eating a donut. Make me feel better with your "got injured because I did something dumb" stories. Overuse injury stories not welcome. [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Warbird wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:

I once got severe eye strain from reading an extremely long title on a triathlon forum

My thumb is sore from all the extra scrolling since the title is repeated at the top of every post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
Warbird wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:

My thumb is sore from all the extra scrolling since the title is repeated at the top of every post.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...atch_here._P1566945/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did I really need to make that pink? Lol
Quote Reply

Prev Next