Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Tremblant/Lionel Race Day Thread [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
" I've seen it a number of times, and sadly they never will make that leap."

Riiiiighhht. 2nd place at Kona last year. Wins constantly.

He doesn't need a leap. He needs one good day.

Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant/Lionel Race Day Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I've noticed that a bad Ironman day resulting in walking on the marathon, usually results in much less DOMS in the days following the race...the worse the run goes - the less the DOMS! Given that, maybe he'll be physically in decent shape again by next week.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant/Lionel Race Day turns to Cody Beal 8:10.36 [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great points Steve, I have had the privledge of watching the guys like Cody, Jackson Laundry, Taylor Reid, put the consistent, focussed hard yards in - day in and day out. Cody is a very dialed in athlete. He knows when to push hard in his training but the other thing that Cody does really well, (better than many pro's I have known) is that, he knows when to go easy in his training or take a day off completely. I knew he was going to have a cracker of a race out there, and its amazing that he found the sweet spot (not to much not to little) on his first attempt at IM. Has to be one of the fastest debut IM's ever??

Michael Hay - helped on the journey by the great folks at ZiZU Optics, (for the custom fit), and Bialkowlski's TRYSPORT
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant/Lionel Race Day Thread [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:
Yes, I've noticed that a bad Ironman day resulting in walking on the marathon, usually results in much less DOMS in the days following the race...the worse the run goes - the less the DOMS! Given that, maybe he'll be physically in decent shape again by next week.

I generally agree with this unless he did his "bad" 2:55 run on totally glycogen depleted body. But he seemed to be pretty energetic post race in the interview and on the podium. He was not totally cooked and needing IV's and medical, so that's a good thing.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant/Lionel Race Day turns to Cody Beal 8:10.36 [tri4balance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri4balance wrote:
Great points Steve, I have had the privledge of watching the guys like Cody, Jackson Laundry, Taylor Reid, put the consistent, focussed hard yards in - day in and day out. Cody is a very dialed in athlete. He knows when to push hard in his training but the other thing that Cody does really well, (better than many pro's I have known) is that, he knows when to go easy in his training or take a day off completely. I knew he was going to have a cracker of a race out there, and its amazing that he found the sweet spot (not to much not to little) on his first attempt at IM. Has to be one of the fastest debut IM's ever??

I think mc mahon went sub8 on his debut. 1st at IM Arizona 2014 7:55. Not apple for apple comparison in term of course difficulty obviously.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant/Lionel Race Day Thread [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:
Conspiracy theory: LS intentionally bagged this one (stopped at porta potty without really needing to, etc) to make Frodo/Kienle et al overconfident...

1% chance, but if true would be some next level gamesmanship

If there's one thing about Sanders, it's that he will wear his emotions plain and clear for everyone to see.

His face when he crossed the line says there is no conspiracy.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant/Lionel Race Day turns to Cody Beals 8:10.36 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev has MT Tremblant bike always been 109.5 miles? Curious if they made changes this year??? We had four athletes race there yesterday and all four read 109.5. Certainly close enough to 112 but wonder if that played into the course record times etc...
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant/Lionel Race Day turns to Cody Beals 8:10.36 [mrw42976] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not Dev, but I had 110 last year as did several friends, so definitely a little short.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant/Lionel Race Day turns to Cody Beal 8:10.36 [tri4balance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

There are some lesson's here for EVERYONE from AGers to Pros about Cody's patience with the process here. There should NEVER be any rush to racing an IM race for the first time!

Here's an interview I did with Cody two years ago - https://www.youtube.com/...channel=MSCTriathlon

He's been asked when the IM debut will come for a number of years - I asked him in this interview two years ago. He's stuck to the schedule!

Patience!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant/Lionel Race Day Thread [drluke12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey thanks man. Its not work to me. I absolutely love what I do. My goal is to bring awareness to our sport and give the pros the attention they deserve. Cough cough. Ironman. (which ironman is doing alot better.) :)

I also feed off of all of yalls comments and feedback. Positive and negative. It truly all helps. sorry for the lazy edit. I just thought it fit the theme of Lionels raw interview and just wanted to get yall his thoughts as soon as possible.

Just wait for Kona. Its going to be incredible! Big plans!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant/Lionel Race Day Thread [CU427] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lionel only played a short course. It was 9 holes and he usually walks his bag for active recovery. But that day he drove a golf cart. He was in and out 1:30 mins. He uses it also go get things off his mind.

6 over par is what he shot lol.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant/Lionel Race Day Thread [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanders has bad habit of copying what people he looks up to do (Lange,frodo). Both guys are vegetarian. Bit Sanders made this change too fast for his body to adapt. I'm pretty sure T and iron levels are shot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
talbotcox wrote:
Hey thanks man. Its not work to me. I absolutely love what I do. My goal is to bring awareness to our sport and give the pros the attention they deserve. Cough cough. Ironman. (which ironman is doing alot better.) :)

I also feed off of all of yalls comments and feedback. Positive and negative. It truly all helps. sorry for the lazy edit. I just thought it fit the theme of Lionels raw interview and just wanted to get yall his thoughts as soon as possible.

Just wait for Kona. Its going to be incredible! Big plans!

My wife and I were watching the post-race video together. When LS said at one point he was pushing 220W on the bike for like an hour, I paused the video in that moment and said, "Holy crap, I can push 220W for an hour." When I unpaused the video, LS said, "I can push 220W for an hour with one leg".

My wife looked at me like I'm not even a man. LOL.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant/Lionel Race Day Thread [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
My wife and I were watching the post-race video together. When LS said at one point he was pushing 220W on the bike for like an hour, I paused the video in that moment and said, "Holy crap, I can push 220W for an hour." When I unpaused the video, LS said, "I can push 220W for an hour with one leg".

My wife looked at me like I'm not even a man. LOL.

I spit my lunch onto my keyboard at this!!! I know that look all to well when watching race replays with my wife.

"It's too dangerous and expensive to ride with d*ckheads" -tridork

Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant/Lionel Race Day turns to Cody Beals 8:10.36 [mrw42976] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One thing to keep in mind, is that most courses are short on both the bike and run. Mont Tremblant 70.3 for example is only about 88.5km. And the run is a couple hundred metres short too, so approx 1min short. Very few are accurate. Of all the races I've done, Oceanside, Santa Rosa and Steelhead are most accurate (maybe only a few hundred metres off total distance), with Chattanooga coming in a bit long (91km on the bike).

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Last edited by: Staer: Aug 20, 18 12:11
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant/Lionel Race Day Thread [TrierinKC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nutrition learning day..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EO6Gp3Yp6Y8
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant/Lionel Race Day turns to Cody Beals 8:10.36 [Staer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I understand that hence the reason I asked dev that knows the course inside and out. Once you have a bike/run course established it tends to be the same each year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
talbotcox wrote:
6 over par is what he shot lol.

On an executive course...

Lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lionel goes on the body builder carb depletion 48 hour diet, soft pedals the last hour of the bike, walks during the run, Porta potties, limps and still runs 2:55 after a 4:28 bike.

It's mind-boggling how he can run a 2:55 after a 4:28 bike while having so many problems. This clearly proves one thing, that he should have tried the 50/50/50 and not Ashley Horner...:)

This may be the exact race that Frodo and crew did not what Lionel to have. It just means he will race Kona angry and perhaps won't repeat any of this carb depletion stupidity.

I think way too many people are writing off LS (again) because of one race. He won't repeat that again and based on his training, his earlier results this year and his time despite all his problems, it shows me he is still a big threat to everyone for Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant/Lionel Race Day Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Sanders has bad habit of copying what people he looks up to do (Lange,frodo). Both guys are vegetarian. Bit Sanders made this change too fast for his body to adapt. I'm pretty sure T and iron levels are shot
I hope not and I hope if they are, they can easily be fixed with rest and the right nutrition. Fingers crossed its not a major lift for him to recover from this glycogen depleted 2:55 run and get back on the track he wants to be on for Kona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
synthetic wrote:
I hope not and I hope if they are, they can easily be fixed with rest and the right nutrition. Fingers crossed its not a major lift for him to recover from this glycogen depleted 2:55 run and get back on the track he wants to be on for Kona.

Based on what evidence are his T and Fe levels shot? According to Sanders, he's been putting up good numbers in training. He's recovering from workouts. So what is it that would indicate that?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant/Lionel Race Day Thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
synthetic wrote:

Based on what evidence are his T and Fe levels shot? According to Sanders, he's been putting up good numbers in training. He's recovering from workouts. So what is it that would indicate that?

Jason, I and no one else other than Lionel has evidence on his blood numbers. His good numbers in training are going to be directly affected by weight loss, minimally for running, and also for hilly riding and if he lost fat and not muscle, he will see good power numbers. All of this will generally happen for a while assuming blood numbers stay on track. They very well may be on track, but just saying its worth the check in.

Also there is a big diff between glycogen storage for Ironman racers and Grand Tour guys. The latter can get crazy skinny since they only need to race for around 4 hours per day max (so that's like a half IM). Even on a 6.5 hour stage, they are only working for 3ish hours and soft pedaling a lot of it unless it is a queen stage day. Lighter is not always better for IM racing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
synthetic wrote:

Jason, I and no one else other than Lionel has evidence on his blood numbers. His good numbers in training are going to be directly affected by weight loss, minimally for running, and also for hilly riding and if he lost fat and not muscle, he will see good power numbers. All of this will generally happen for a while assuming blood numbers stay on track. They very well may be on track, but just saying its worth the check in.

Also there is a big diff between glycogen storage for Ironman racers and Grand Tour guys. The latter can get crazy skinny since they only need to race for around 4 hours per day max (so that's like a half IM). Even on a 6.5 hour stage, they are only working for 3ish hours and soft pedaling a lot of it unless it is a queen stage day. Lighter is not always better for IM racing

I guess my question was directed more at synthetic and not you, as he said that he was sure that T and Fe levels are shot. Why? What is the indicator of that?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: IM Tremblant/Lionel Race Day Thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
synthetic wrote:

I guess my question was directed more at synthetic and not you, as he said that he was sure that T and Fe levels are shot. Why? What is the indicator of that?

My guess is that his Fe levels are OK. If not he'd also have a horrible swim, but during the first hour while he has SOME glycogen he was fine as he was early in the bike. You would expect him to suck in those parts of the race otherwise. On the run light weight can compensate for a lot, so that's no indicator. No clue on T...according to him he is doing great workouts, so he seems to be recovering OK.

Seriously if there was a triathlon stage race, I'd put Lionel as the likely world champion. This guy can recover well from multiple back to back to back hard sessions (at least based on his postings). I'm guessing he has naturally high T.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev,

I thought this was a thread about Cody's great performance - why so much going on and on about Lionel?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next