Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Have You Ever Done a 1000 hrs Training Year?
Quote | Reply
I see a few people on the ST log already passed 1000 hrs. Randy Christofferson, pretty well hits that mark every year for the last decade. It looks like our man Herbert is on track and what's even more impressive is that it is on a very run heavy program. It looks like 4-5 others will hit 1000.

I may have done 1000 the year I was in grad school in 1993-94 (all I did was train more than a pro and fit in classes and labs around the training plan LOL), but I am not sure. Back then I used to also train with some national XC ski and biathln team guys and their benchmark was 1000 hrs per year was needed to race on the world cup. Keep in mind a lot of their training was weight bearing...XC skiing, running, trail bounding with poles, roller skiing.

Anyone not on the log on track this year? Probably some Ultraman types get that every year as do many pro triathletes and cyclists.

Due to the pandemic I may hit my biggest volume in 15 years. No biz travel is a big added to volume. Second is no racing so no tapering. Finally I don't spend time commuting and I can finish a workout and be in meetings in my workout gear so the latter alone adds 20 min of training per day of not having to change clothing and showering. 20 min x 365 days is over 100 hrs of additional training right there! But won't get near 1000
Quote Reply
Re: Have You Ever Done a 1000 hrs Training Year? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never log on...

but I'm on track for about 900 for this calendar year.

Racing Placid (hopefully) next summer... and should be on track for 1000 hrs from July 25, 2020 to July 25 July 2021.

For reference, in past IMs.... 10:19 and 10:30 for Wisconsin in 07 and 09... and for Norsemen 2014 (black shirt)... averaged around 450 hours each of those years. So will be interesting to see what happens (granted, a full decade+ older).

One data point - have been running 40-60 miles per week all year... found a tiny marathon that actually happened in September (Last Chance BQ in Grand Rapids MI). Without training for it, ran the easiest 3:14 ever (I'm 50).

Volume counts.
Last edited by: Dan Funk: Nov 29, 20 11:34
Quote Reply
Re: Have You Ever Done a 1000 hrs Training Year? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your question got me curious about my totals. I don't use Training Peaks so the easiest way to get the data is from Strava which is complete going back to 2014. I've got partial data for 2013 when I first started using it regularily July 2013.

To answer your question, I haven't hit 1,000 hours ever. This year will be my closest year (sitting on 893 right now). Prior to this year I averaged about 550 per year. This year's increase has less to do with COVID than it does with retiring at the end of 2019. I expect I should be well over 1,000 next year as I've found a pretty good group of other weekday, retired riders that I've been spending more time with.

It'd be interesting to see what my totals were for my peak IM years (2008-2013) but I suspect it wasn't much more than 600 or so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's your training SBR distribution and intensity?

I def don't have the time to train 20 hrs week now, but I've also been surprised with how tired I get once I hit 12 hrs of training on a real plan with intensity. I've done 14-15 for a stretch before but the intensity portion was less than my 12hrs with intensity
Quote Reply
Re: Have You Ever Done a 1000 hrs Training Year? [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Volume counts.

I agree. I've ridden the most miles ever this year, probably 95% of it Z2 or lower, and I'm riding faster than ever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
.. got a bright long lasting light last december .. my work forces me to use the best time of the day for fresh air .. my feet start to pedal 6 a.m. at the latest anyway .. summed up to 1150h on my road bike to date this year .. oSo >>

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Due to the pandemic, After my actual workout... I’m doing about 4-5 beers every night over a four hour time period. That puts me well over 1000 hrs for the year. 😂
Quote Reply
Re: Have You Ever Done a 1000 hrs Training Year? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:

I def don't have the time to train 20 hrs week now, but I've also been surprised with how tired I get once I hit 12 hrs of training on a real plan with intensity. I've done 14-15 for a stretch before but the intensity portion was less than my 12hrs with intensity

I should hit 900 hrs this year. My training distribution in hrs is almost 1:1:1 between swim, bike and run (largely because I have become disinterested in biking for training purposes, I mainly use it for transport and incoporate extra riding on the way for training.

so far this year

• swim 244 hrs and that was missing 3 months and dealing with current limitations on 1 hrs swims
  • bike 264 hrs
  • run 277 hrs (this will be biggest running year in 15 years due to additional running when swim was closed)
  • Other 68 hrs (XC skis, weights, snow shoeing, rowing machine)

My last year distribution was swim:bike:run was more like 2:1:1. I had over 400 hrs swimming last 4 years when I could not run and bike.

Dev
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Nov 29, 20 12:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
lightheir wrote:

I should hit 900 hrs this year. My training distribution in hrs is almost 1:1:1 between swim, bike and run (largely because I have become disinterested in biking for training purposes, I mainly use it for transport and incoporate extra riding on the way for training.

so far this year

• swim 244 hrs and that was missing 3 months and dealing with current limitations on 1 hrs swims
  • bike 264 hrs
  • run 277 hrs (this will be biggest running year in 15 years due to additional running when swim was closed)
  • Other 68 hrs (XC skis, weights, snow shoeing, rowing machine)

My last year distribution was swim:bike:run was more like 2:1:1. I had over 400 hrs swimming last 4 years when I could not run and bike.

Dev

I guess the next question is how much faster/better do you think you are now compared to had you been training 8, or 10, or 12, or 14 hrs/wk? You've probably done this in the past , so I'll bet you can give some reasonable benchmarks of improvement with all that volume.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did 900 in 2017 and 1000+ in 2018,2019 and may just about get there this year despite losing a month to crash injuries. That's all bike time, strength and core probably another ~75. Lots of high intensity but obviously no impact (other than hitting the ground)

Its been a gradual build from around 600 2011-2015 when I was in university. My peak powers have gone up a little but my consistency of performance is much better and I can compete near my best everyday in stage races up to 10 days. I also gain fitness back a lot more quickly from time off.

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
geez, i wish!
i've just past 500 for this year which is a step up from my last couple of years of just about hitting 500 by the end. the extra volume has been working for me, i can only imagine what i could win on twice the volume - i might even be able to swim half decently!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've only used the ST log to track aerobic points and this thread got me interested in hours. I should hit 1000 this year for what I'm sure will be the first time in my life. My breakdown is:

Running 271hr 28%
Cycling 552hr 57%
Swimming 129hr 13%

The pandemic did impact my swim availability the first part of the year so perhaps I would have had a higher percentage there. I do believe the pandemic positively impacted my training hours by limiting distraction such as family events and racing. That was proven to me this month with celebrating my anniversary and Thanksgiving (taking away a couple days of training) and two races; a half marathon and yesterday's 50K run. These events have negatively impacted my training hours but obviously gave me joy and pleasure (maybe not the 50K).

I found that with no distractions I could easily crank out about four workouts a day (swim, run, run, bike) at zones 1-3 and always be ready and rested for the next day. The other secret I learned is sleep. I think I went my entire working career sleep deprived. Now that I'm retired I regularly get 8-9 hrs at night and almost always get an hour nap after lunch. That right there is probably my secret for a 1000 hrs year.

Regarding performance I believe I crushed my half marathon. I finished my 50K exhausted but happy with my time. I haven't really tested my bike performance this year except for distance events. And swimming is about on par where it's been the past couple of years.

I hope I can bring this fitness (and health) into 2021 and hone it for two 70.3s and IMCHOO. I know I've never performed to my potential in a full Ironman and making the podium there (my birthplace) will be a bucket list item for me.

Oh yeah, my last goal this year is to hit 10,000 biking miles (more than I've driven this year). I'm at 9400 today so I've got a decent shot at it :)
Last edited by: TJ56: Nov 29, 20 15:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Geez. I know I'm training at a relatively low volume, but I'm only at 632 (of pure swim/bike/run) so far! A 20 hour week still wipes me, I figure that will diminish as I get more volume in over the next few years. Thankfully I don't feel like I'm missing out on too much at the moment as I still have no interest in 140.6.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also- completely in similar boat...

My 1:15 one-way commute (2.5 hrs a day) - vanished.
Tons of work travel (long drives all across Midwest U.S + a lot of short hop flights): Greatly reduced.

Just that alone has easily opened up 16-18 hours - at least - in my week. It's been huge...instead of having to drive into city for work... bam.... 1.5-2 hr trainer session before workday and school even start. Flexible time during day to get a run(s) in.

Have been fortunate to capitalize on the flexibility 2020 has presented to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Have You Ever Done a 1000 hrs Training Year? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey pretty well for the last 20 years I have been on the 700-820 hrs program. But I am 55 so it's not like there is any chance of getting faster it's just keeping things from slowing down. Also this is my second year back to running after a multi year hiatus from disc injury from some accidents so I am getting faster now at running and rising but that is functional use of body versus volume related.

If we can race next year we can assess the impact of this year. I feel the most healthy in my last 6 years but a lot of this has to do with no biz travel and staying in my same time zone. My goal at start of year was to do sub 2:20 Olympic tri on a flat course and sub 4:50 on a flat course. I got within a few min of the half IM goal in Feb before the big training year at 70.3 Dubai but after that no more racing.

I did log pb's for training in all my swim distances and beat some race pb's from last year and ran 22:29 5km solo in end of sept coming down from 23:36 in April. I also banged out an all time PB on a steep short hill climb in Mont Tremblant on the bike. I had never gone under 10 min on this climb and did 8:45, but I never did that climb before my mid 40's but when I first did I was doing several 1:21 to 1:25 half marathons so I was fit and beat my bike hill climbs but part of this is from doing more 1-7 min swim races in the last few years which has elevated my high end on the bike. I never used to train hard like that in any sport when I was racing ironmans.

I don't think I could up it to 1000 hrs. This is averaging almost 3 hrs per day. It may seem not much to go from 900 to 1000 but that is 20 more minutes of training every day of the year. If you miss two days of training you need to do a 9 hrs training day just to get back on the 1000 hrs program or spread that evenly over the next 5 days which means doing 4.5 hrs per day or so !!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm old and retired. I'm at 1,092 as of today.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought I trained heavily some years but the most I've ever done is 586 so not even close.

I've always had a very run-heavy schedule, but even without that, I've clearly bailed on a ton of cycling and swimming that I guess I should have done. There's only so many 4 and 5 hour rides I can tolerate
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I should be just under 900 hours when the year comes to a close. I was able to put together a good string of months once I started working from home back in March, topping at 101 hours in July. I also really haven't done any swimming since March as well (except for an Oly distance race and around 10k open water swimming in the two weeks prior back in September). Biking was the real thing that jumped up, and so far I'm at around 11,200 miles for the year on the bike.

One thing that I noticed by bumping up the bike mileage was that my FTP rose for the first time in many years. I'm generally a pretty good biker and FTP ends up being around 340 in season. This year it got up to around 355, simply due to more volume, most of which was pretty easy. For several months I was biking around 1500 miles. I don't think I'll see that sort of FTP again unless I strictly focus on biking. It was fun to go after KOM's as my form of racing - between biking and running I got over 140 over the spring and summer.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Have You Ever Done a 1000 hrs Training Year? [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dean T wrote:
I'm old and retired. I'm at 1,092 as of today.

Dude! That's a ton. Your Strava says you are a 172, do you post it somewhere else? I would be legitimately interested in seeing how that breaks down for a masters athlete.

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Have You Ever Done a 1000 hrs Training Year? [Jordano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you only looked at his run volume.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you count weights, yoga, stretching then yes. If not I’ll be 900+. Same as the last few years but much biking as I haven’t swam since pool shut down in March. Should have 3k+ miles running for the first time.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Have You Ever Done a 1000 hrs Training Year? [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
I should be just under 900 hours when the year comes to a close. I was able to put together a good string of months once I started working from home back in March, topping at 101 hours in July. I also really haven't done any swimming since March as well (except for an Oly distance race and around 10k open water swimming in the two weeks prior back in September). Biking was the real thing that jumped up, and so far I'm at around 11,200 miles for the year on the bike.

One thing that I noticed by bumping up the bike mileage was that my FTP rose for the first time in many years. I'm generally a pretty good biker and FTP ends up being around 340 in season. This year it got up to around 355, simply due to more volume, most of which was pretty easy. For several months I was biking around 1500 miles. I don't think I'll see that sort of FTP again unless I strictly focus on biking. It was fun to go after KOM's as my form of racing - between biking and running I got over 140 over the spring and summer.

That's strong - like 16-18hrs week, every week for a year!

How do you manage the wife, kids and job with that sort of training load? I remember you have a knack for getting up super early, like 3-4AM to workout - I actually can get up crazy early out that hour but I've found (the hard way, unfortunately) that my workout quality nosedives when I do that, and that I get better results for myself by just doing less workout time but with higher intensity at a more normal hour. Hard with young kids though!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Have You Ever Done a 1000 hrs Training Year? [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan Funk wrote:
I never log on...

Racing Placid (hopefully) next summer... and should be on track for 1000 hrs from July 25, 2020 to July 25 July 2021.

For reference, in past IMs.... 10:19 and 10:30 for Wisconsin in 07 and 09... and for Norsemen 2014 (black shirt)... averaged around 450 hours each of those years. So will be interesting to see what happens (granted, a full decade+ older).

One data point - have been running 40-60 miles per week all year... found a tiny marathon that actually happened in September (Last Chance BQ in Grand Rapids MI). Without training for it, ran the easiest 3:14 ever (I'm 50).

Volume counts.

I think a lot of us endurance athletes are learning that we are over trained during covid.

I did 4 1000 hour years in college. 20+ hour weeks consistently for those college years.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Have You Ever Done a 1000 hrs Training Year? [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boobooaboo wrote:
Dan Funk wrote:
I never log on...

Volume counts.

I think a lot of us endurance athletes are learning that we are over trained during covid.

I did 4 1000 hour years in college. 20+ hour weeks consistently for those college years.

Hopefully for a scholarship - that's wayy too much time in college training!
Quote Reply

Prev Next