Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: HELP!! Bike noise driving me crazy! [xdays] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an Ia1 that does the same thing. I've never been able to identify the source. Seems to be more prevalent with heavy force/low RPM i.e. climbing. Comes and goes. Shoes don't seem to make a difference. Frustrating. I just changed chainrings and haven't really noticed it, but will have to pay more attention this weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: HELP!! Bike noise driving me crazy! [Greatzaa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One time I had a creaking problem that I thought was the BB turned out to be the front axle/quick release.

Also, if you have deep rim wheels the valves can often make a ticking noise when riding.
Last edited by: nickag: Oct 1, 19 21:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of my ticking has been the interface of the axle and bearings. And also where the axle end that attaches to the left crank.
My best guess is to grease the crank axle well and the end of the axle that inserts into the left crank.

other possibility is bad pedal bearings. Did you try another set of pedals?
Quote Reply
Re: HELP!! Bike noise driving me crazy! [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've chased a noise like this before, turned out to be my cleats.
Quote Reply
Re: HELP!! Bike noise driving me crazy! [Fuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fuller wrote:
Chainring bolts can be a source of ticking with every pedal stroke.

Bolts are tight.
Quote Reply
Re: HELP!! Bike noise driving me crazy! [Slug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slug wrote:
Check that the right crank isn't hitting the front derailleur cable that was not cut short enough.

Cable is not touching the derailleur.
Quote Reply
Re: HELP!! Bike noise driving me crazy! [Pathfinder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pathfinder wrote:
I've chased a noise like this before, turned out to be my cleats.

That was the first thing I checked because years ago I had a cleat that had a metal backing plate that was creating a similar sound when I pedaled. My current (new) cleats are good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been rocking the new gen Felt Aero Road since they released that bad boy. I've had creaks from everywhere over the years and the more difficult ones are the hanger being a touch loose and a bad headset. Easing up on the bars, i.e. loosening your grip, can sometimes rule that one out. Another thought, do you have segmented housing for the rear brake cable? Mine ticks a bit when I get out of the saddle (I know you said in or out).

lanierb wrote:
Places to check: BB (make sure it's lubed and there's no play), pedals (tight, lubed), chainring bolts (tight), front and rear skewers (tight), spokes (no loose spokes), cassette (tight), seatpost (tight, lubed), stem (both ends), headset (lubed, tight), even little things like derailleur hangers can tick if loose, etc etc etc Just go through them one by one, easiest ones first.

My YouTubes

Last edited by: LAI: Oct 2, 19 7:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xdays wrote:
MKirk wrote:
As others have said, could be 1,000,000+ things and it usually comes from the least expected source.

Easiest thing to do or let the forum know is....
- Clicking or creak?
- is it a rotational sound or kind or random/no pattern - does the clicking occur in a pattern. Ever wheel spin, every chain rotation (would change speeds in different gears), every crank rotation, etc.....

Rotational/patterned noises could be bearings somewhere, bad chain link/master link, bent chain ring tooth....
Randomness sounds could be seat post/clamp, stem loose....

Carbon frames......no matter where the problem is, it ALWAYS sounds like it is coming from the bottom bracket :)

Two easiest things to look at first is remove and clean your seat post & clamp as well as your stem bolts and clamp area.
Good luck!

From my original post: "It is in synch with my pedal strokes and sounds like a ticking clock. If I single leg pedal the noise isn't there, regardless of which leg I use. "

I have removed and cleaned the seat post and will see if that helps when I ride tomorrow

It's just going to be a process of elimination....
Ride around the neighborhood in sneakers to eliminate a cleat issue, swap to some old pedals or flats to eliminate pedals.....from there you are starting to rebuild - if the BB is older you just may want to replace (usually an inexpensive part)........ Like I mentioned above, good luck as you have seen, may have had this type of problem and finding the source can be VERY frustrating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, I am not sure if you saw Geek_Fit's comment or not, but I have a Felt 3X as well with the Prologo saddle and it was making the exact same noise you described and that Geek_Fit said. It is where the saddle attached to the top of the seat post. It seemed tight but it was not, once I tightened it more the noise went away. Comes back every once in a while and drove me crazy as it was a brand new bike. Hope that helps.

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply
Re: HELP!! Bike noise driving me crazy! [Geek_fit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Geek_fit wrote:
Not sure this is much help...

I have a felt IA 2 and had a similar sound... I swore it was the bottom bracket. Turns out it was the seat I had on there that was creaking and literally echoing down the frame. What I swore was happening with every pedal stroke was just happening with my slight pelvis tilt with each pedal stroke.

+1

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply
Re: HELP!! Bike noise driving me crazy! [Quo Vadimus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my case, I didn't figure it out until I moved the seat to a different bike. It's literally the seat.

no wonder that ISM saddle was cheap on ebay...haha
Quote Reply
Re: HELP!! Bike noise driving me crazy! [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My guess is the Hollowtech II BB is the source of the problem, if the noise is indeed coming from that area. It doesn't take much to swap that out and see if the noise is still there. That would be the first thing I do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem on a bike. Finally sent the frame back, they figured out the front derailleur was loose. Try in tighten all the screws/bolts on your bike, drove me nuts for 6 months.
Quote Reply
Re: HELP!! Bike noise driving me crazy! [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe that only the 2019 Felt AR5 frame is English threaded and will accept a Shimano Hollowtech II bottom bracket.

If the OP's frame is older, then I believe that it is BB30 and would need to have some adapters installed so that it would work with a Shimano crankset.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
I believe that only the 2019 Felt AR5 frame is English threaded and will accept a Shimano Hollowtech II bottom bracket.

If the OP's frame is older, then I believe that it is BB30 and would need to have some adapters installed so that it would work with a Shimano crankset.

Thanks for that info...my bike is a 2016 and I have a 105 crankset. I just got back from a ride and that noise is still there. I'm going to take into my LBS tomorrow and ask them to check the BB.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could simply remove the crankset and check the bottom bracket yourself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

Provided he has the Shimano tool to remove the plastic tightening bolt or whatever it's called. Anyone who owns a Shimano crankset should go buy one asap.
Quote Reply
Re: HELP!! Bike noise driving me crazy! [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would be happy to send one to him for free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

My LBS owes me one!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had noises like this and made assumptions based on the direction I think the sound comes from and whether it happens when I am pedalling or not. I have come to the conclusion that noises can travel in strange ways, and nearly everything on the bike is stressed differently depending on where your feet are in the pedal stroke. You move around, grip things differently, weight and un-weight different parts of the bike, and things push and pull against one another depending on whether the cranks are turning the wheels or the bike is being forced to accelerate, decelerate or steer.

Saying "that'll be the bottom bracket, mate" might be true pretty often but don't jump to conclusions.

In summary, it isn't always what you think it is and it could be almost anything.

I know that doesn't help.

I have had noises like this being caused by, amongst others;

- Badly fitted bottom brackets
- Work bottom brackets
- Badly installed crank arms (too much or too little preload, for example)
- Chainring bolts
- Stem (tririg sigma cable covers can squeak when you pull on the bars)
- Headset (think how you load and unload the
- Creaky saddle rails (creaking where rails meet the saddle body)
- Rear cassette chewing into the freehub body splines, thereby creating the possibility of play under torque
- Front or rear wheels/skewers mystically creating noise and needing to be removed and reinstalled
- Pedals - poorly installed, worn or needing grease (speedplay in my case)
- Cleats - loose bolts or spring clips needing lubrication (speedplay)
- Probably a bunch of other things

I did once spend about 3 months swapping out almost everything to do with the drive chain until I looked properly at the rear wheel and found the issue with the cassette and the freehub splines. Throw another wheel on if you have one, to at least rule that out.

Cheers,
Rich.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xdays wrote:
titemple652 wrote:
Do you happen to have a DuraAce9100 cassette installed?

Ultra CS 6800

So my new bike quickly developed a godawful creaking which I noticed was in the first three gears, big or small ring, in or out of the saddle. Genius wrench at the LBS heard that story and quickly diagnosed it: the new cassette (R8000) was dry (the biggest 3 cogs are riveted on). Pull cassette, tri-flow thoroughly around the rivets, reinstall, and silent, glorious perfection was restored.

Could it be this?

+1 to the crank bolts (you said you looked at) and the front fork (had an aluminum / stainless steel interface that creaked really bad one time, but it was only when I was out of the saddle).

Good luck!

-Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Why?

Because I've had it in there several times for the same problem. They are going to replace the bearings in the BB, which I hope is the answer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What did they discover that would warrant replacing the bearings?
Quote Reply

Prev Next