Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Grossly Underfit: New Poll Support Group
Quote | Reply
Saw the new user poll about swim fitness and that got me thinking about this... I'm grossly underfit, in all three disciplines, and on my bad days have a hard time seeing a way out. Is anybody else feeling this way?

I feel like knowing I'm not the only one for a start would be helpful.

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Grossly Underfit: New Poll Support Group [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Saw the new user poll about swim fitness and that got me thinking about this... I'm grossly underfit, in all three disciplines, and on my bad days have a hard time seeing a way out. Is anybody else feeling this way?

E

I'm having trouble making the distinction between "grossly underfit" and "about normal".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't fret, just remember all the work you have in the bank (e.g. this).

Personally, I haven't been in the water since last March and my running has been fits and starts as I've cycled through a series of run related injuries. I feel good on the bike though and banking on all the riding I've done since the pandemic to carry me through.
Quote Reply
Re: Grossly Underfit: New Poll Support Group [Northy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Northy wrote:

Personally, I haven't been in the water since last March and my running has been fits and starts as I've cycled through a series of run related injuries. I feel good on the bike though and banking on all the riding I've done since the pandemic to carry me through.

Wow, thank you for linking that, I can’t even remember the person who wrote that.

E

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Northy wrote:

Wow, thank you for linking that, I can’t even remember the person who wrote that.

E

best line was

"The losses are temporary, the gains you make are forever."

I feel like you. Overweight, under trained. Going to Eagleman this weekend hoping my experience will get me through.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just remember that everyone once started from a place of being grossly underfit - which, by the way, is not where you're starting from, since you don't have to learn how to swim all over again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I’m pretty out of shape right now compared to other triathletes.

I’m probability more fit than the average American, but that isn’t saying much.

I haven’t swim since last year, but not too worried about swimming as I usually seem to do middle of the pack which is fine.

On the positive side, I’m not injured.

I weighed in at 208lbs today at 72.5in. My next race is Augusta 70.3 in September. I’m looking to cut 25lbs between now and then.

My PR is 4:48 at Augusta, originally was planning on getting 4:25 in 2020. I was in really good shape last year. I’m not sure if I’m even going to PR in 2021, but I guess my mentality right now is to ‘just finish’ it and savor the sweetness of getting another medal. I’ve also thought about doing the race ‘just for fun’, which was definitely not my mentality last year.

There are some positives such as I’ve gone from zero motivation to some motivation. I’ve also been going through severe crippling anxiety which has abated recently and allowed me to train.

I need to start running in July and may add on Swimming in August.

Good luck with your journey. Cheers - 🍻

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the great features in Strava is the fitness & freshness tracking that lets you quantify just exactly how shit you are!

For example, my run fitness (long term hip injury/surgery);

Cheers, Rich.
Quote Reply
Re: Grossly Underfit: New Poll Support Group [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Grossly Underfit: New Poll Support Group [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The good news is that the weather here in the South is just about perfect for lots, and lots of slow running.

Fortunately, I started back at it (running only) in early April. So, I can run half-way decently...when the temp/humidity doesn't suck balls. Unfortunately, that part of the year ended three days ago...I fear for good. We've finally crossed into the 90s (after the coldest/wetest May I can remember)...but, its humid AF....so, its pretty miserable to go for a run.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Jun 9, 21 12:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:

E

I hear you Eric.
I had massive fitness last summer, then health issues that prevented me from training properly (luckily ended up being not serious).
Will be interesting to see how racing goes this weekend on such low CTL.

But I do agree with other comments. Fitness is built and lost in years, not weeks/months.
We can rebuild, so I'm optimistic even if my race results will suck.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a sprint tri (800M, 20K, 5K) on Sunday off of basically no swimming, cycling or weight training (other than push-ups and pull-ups) since the pandemic began. I've been averaging just under 40 mpw running since March 2020, but that training load is about 25% less than when I was doing more balanced tri training in the summer of 2019.

I was 5 minutes slower than my 2019 time on the same course, but I was more competitive and felt more normal than I expected on the swim and bike. I did hold back nearly the entire race for fear of blowing up.

If you had asked me before Sunday whether I was grossly underfit on the swim and bike I would have said yes (and I probably am I if I was racing long course), but I answered moderately underfit to the poll question. No significant soreness post race.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Jun 9, 21 16:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think one advantage to getting really fit again is having been there before. I know exactly the tools I need to get fit including gear, nutrition, and the limits of my body. The only thing I have to do is execute.

I'm a big believer in cycling also. I think cycling is the heart of triathlon training. Currently I'm in the state where my legs are more ready for endurance than my sitting bones. I just can't sit on the bike for hours and hours. I'll have to gradually build up over time again.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Grossly Underfit: New Poll Support Group [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
I think one advantage to getting really fit again is having been there before. I know exactly the tools I need to get fit including gear, nutrition, and the limits of my body. The only thing I have to do is execute.

I'm a big believer in cycling also. I think cycling is the heart of triathlon training. Currently I'm in the state where my legs are more ready for endurance than my sitting bones. I just can't sit on the bike for hours and hours. I'll have to gradually build up over time again.

This is where we can take advantage of multiple sports, and cross-over effects (imperfect though it is) between them. I can't run long enough because of the friggin humidity, and I can't ride enough because of my friggin sit bones. But, I can add them on top of each other to get some of both. Of course, that means I have to get the bike out of storage and fix whatever's guaranteed to be wrong with it. flat tubes, dusty chain, mis-aligned brakes, poor shifting, charge the Edge computer, find my left shoe, and my right glove, etc.

Maybe I'll stick with Bourbon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grossly underfit even as a triathlete would have to be barely be able to swim.

I'm definitely between grossly and moderately, but we're getting back.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Grossly Underfit: New Poll Support Group [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't even smelled chlorine in 2 years, and I've ridden my TT bike, like 7 times. I only took 3 months off from running...so, that's decent.

I just got a new fancy Fenix6pro....so, I should probably give it a reason to exist...otherwise, I might as well have gotten a F45 (or a fitbit).
Quote Reply
Re: Grossly Underfit: New Poll Support Group [RafaelMB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RafaelMB wrote:
Just remember that everyone once started from a place of being grossly underfit - which, by the way, is not where you're starting from, since you don't have to learn how to swim all over again.

thanks!

Quote Reply
Re: Grossly Underfit: New Poll Support Group [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:

Good luck with your journey. Cheers - 🍻

that's a good point actually... it's a journey.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On this side of the Pond, I'm with you too.
Similar to many who've already posted.
25-30lbs over race weight, slow (even more than usual). When talking with a mate whilst out on the bike on Friday, I recalled my last proper Tri was 2 years ago (a half distance, in't t'Yorkshire). And the last race was a 22 mile off road run, the last weekend of freedom before the world ended in March 2020.

I'm lucky that I have been able to swim intermittently since then, and got a good OW season from June through to Sept and some good distance swimming in.
After several months with all pools shut and the rivers only a few degrees above freezing, the nearby spring fed outdoor pool (water about 15-21C depending on time of year) reopened at the start of April so am 'back on it' with swimming. I think it took about 5 or 6 sessions to feel I could swim properly again and start ironing out a couple of technique flaws that had come back in. But all sorted in less than 2 months. I got 4 miles in on one sesh last week, so again as per others saying, it does come back if you could do it before.

But conversely the running is basically at zero due to injury.
I have a half distance race in August in the Scotish Highlands, with the swim starting at midnight in a loch, then obvs a night 56 mile bike, then a half marathon that goes up and down 2 bleedin big Scottish hills on footpaths.

I'm hoping that like others have said I'll get by on experience, and accept it for what it is and what I do do, not worry about whether I could have been better.

I hope we all have an enjoyable journey back to where we want to be, wherever in the world we are.
And don't forget - enjoy the ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've felt like this for the last few years, finally getting a routine going that should see something positive happen.
It's just a bit hard to accept that 5.30/km is a good pace rather than "go home, you're clearly overdone" as it once was. And that 300w isn't tempo anymore. I do remind myself that a lot of people would be happy to go the pace I am in each of the disciplines, but it still feels like the cliff I feel off is very high.
Quote Reply
Re: Grossly Underfit: New Poll Support Group [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
25-30lbs over race weight, slow (even more than usual). When talking with a mate whilst out on the bike on Friday, I recalled my last proper Tri was 2 years ago (a half distance, in't t'Yorkshire). And the last race was a 22 mile off road run, the last weekend of freedom before the world ended in March 2020.

I'm lucky that I have been able to swim intermittently since then, and got a good OW season from June through to Sept and some good distance swimming in.
After several months with all pools shut and the rivers only a few degrees above freezing, the nearby spring fed outdoor pool (water about 15-21C depending on time of year) reopened at the start of April so am 'back on it' with swimming. I think it took about 5 or 6 sessions to feel I could swim properly again and start ironing out a couple of technique flaws that had come back in. But all sorted in less than 2 months. I got 4 miles in on one sesh last week, so again as per others saying, it does come back if you could do it before.

I have a half distance race in August in the Scotish Highlands, with the swim starting at midnight in a loch, then obvs a night 56 mile bike, then a half marathon that goes up and down 2 bleedin big Scottish hills on footpaths.

I'm hoping that like others have said I'll get by on experience, and accept it for what it is and what I do do, not worry about whether I could have been better.

I hope we all have an enjoyable journey back to where we want to be, wherever in the world we are.

Night time triathlon sounds interesting.....

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Grossly Underfit: New Poll Support Group [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
I've felt like this for the last few years, finally getting a routine going that should see something positive happen.
It's just a bit hard to accept that 5.30/km is a good pace rather than "go home, you're clearly overdone" as it once was. And that 300w isn't tempo anymore. I do remind myself that a lot of people would be happy to go the pace I am in each of the disciplines, but it still feels like the cliff I feel off is very high.

You make a good point about the ego… I struggle with that, comparing myself to my old self. Also, people compliment me now about my “fitness” and I cringe. It’s off putting to others to be such a jerk about a normal compliment.

E

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find motivation to get after my training has been hard to come by over the last few months, particularly in the pool. Covid fatigue, race cancellations and work increases are all factors I’m sure but I’m really just being a lazy ass making excuses. I’m doing CdA (and a 70.3 on Saturday) and am approaching both as an experiment in determining how fast I can go off of shitty training. I suspect it’s going to be a shit show but low expectations should make the races more enjoyable. And they’ll serve as good baseline for getting my ass back in gear for Cozumel in November.
Quote Reply
Re: Grossly Underfit: New Poll Support Group [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
BobAjobb wrote:

Night time triathlon sounds interesting.....

I entered moments after a friend said 'swim start at midnight in a loch'. I didn't hear the mountain run bit until it was too late 😖.
The midges should be in bed at least at that time of night rather than biting me.
Quote Reply

Prev Next