Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Gomez IM Malaysia
Quote | Reply
Finally he will race this weekend to get the spot for 2020. Just one spot, for the winner.
I know that Potts will be there, and a couple of Frenchmen.
I dont understand very well this decission. He is comitted to go to Tokyo and get a medal. Kona will be just round the corner and if Tokyo is the target...well, there is no time to prepare Kona properly. I dont think it is possible to combine training in these days if he wants that gold in the olympics. You excel in ITU or you excel in IM.
Maybe he wants to gather more experience for Kona 2021....what do you think?

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez IM Malaysia [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's a professional athlete that is paid for appearing and by his sponsors. He doesn't need to podium at Kona for it to be a beneficial week in terms of exposure for him and his sponsors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
juanillo wrote:
Finally he will race this weekend to get the spot for 2020. Just one spot, for the winner.
I dont understand very well this decission. He is comitted to go to Tokyo and get a medal. Kona will be just round the corner and if Tokyo is the target...well, there is no time to prepare Kona properly. I dont think it is possible to combine training in these days if he wants that gold in the olympics. You excel in ITU or you excel in IM.

I think that he has this in his back pocket so that he can decide long before Tokyo whether he will go for Tokyo or Kona. I certainly don't think he will start both races.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
….and he wins it in a course record 8:18:59

Swim:47:17
T1:2:13
Bike:4:32:46
T2:2:00
Run:2:54:44

Andy Potts comes in 9:00:30 for 5th place 'cause I figure you Yanks would want to know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Per IM MALAYSIA blog:

3 hours ago
Gomez has stated that his goal for 2020 is the Tokyo Olympics but that he wants to race in Hawaii next year to provide experience in his plan to make 2021 all about the Big Island. Let's not forget he has won 5 ITU World Championships, 2 70.3 World Championships, 1 Xterra World title and the ITU World Long Distance crown.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Olympics is July 27th. That's 10 weeks before Kona.

juanillo wrote:

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply
Re: Gomez IM Malaysia [Brandes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I don’t know what their training plans look like but the speed gained from training for Oly coupled with the distance he would do for that event would give him a very nice base for Kona....maybe not to win but put himself in a very good position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Makes more sense to me now why he's qualified for Kona, but for me if he has any chance of getting a medal, he has to completely focus on Oly distance only next year.

How is a 37 year olds body going to hold up peaking for July 27th and then going on to race Kona??

If Gomez wins Gold, I'll be surprised if he then goes on to race Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez IM Malaysia [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What would he do instead? Get some experience, have some fun, and satisfy sponsors are all great reasons for him to go to Kona.

It’s impossible to say for sure, but you have to think he would have no chance of a top place in Kona after Tokyo but it’s not all about that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He is clearly focussed on the olympics and will go to hawaii not for the win but for experience. He will have great speed in his body but 10 weeks will not be enough time to get the distance in for a win. He is smart and patient.
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez IM Malaysia [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree.

I think he goes to Kona, swims FOP, bikes FOP, and runs in a respectable time but I don't see him killing himself on the run going for the win.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez IM Malaysia [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DBF wrote:
What would he do instead? Get some experience, have some fun, and satisfy sponsors are all great reasons for him to go to Kona.

It’s impossible to say for sure, but you have to think he would have no chance of a top place in Kona after Tokyo but it’s not all about that.

Gomez is a winner! He wants to win races, I'm sure his sponsorship wants him winning races too (I imagine he's one of the Top 5 best paid in the Sport there)

He's already done his Kona experience race, I don't think he wants to go and have a nice day out.
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez IM Malaysia [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cant remember the last time he's been on the FOP for the bike leg in an IM distance, that isn't his forte at all... swim FOP for sure tho!

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez IM Malaysia [playero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today he was!
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez IM Malaysia [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
Today he was!

Kool, any strong cyclists in the race?

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Considering he had only raced two Ironman distance races in his lifetime before this one, not much memory is needed. A quick search reversals 6, 16 and 2 are his bike positions for 2, 11, 1 overall.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"If Gomez wins Gold, I'll be surprised if he then goes on to race Kona."

If he wins Gold, wouldn't you expect his sponsors would really want him at Kona ... tremendous exposure for him the week leading up to the race, no?
I do agree it's unlikely he'd make any "noise" if he's focusing on the Olympics (can't have both have to pick one to be at the pointy end). Still the exposure of having a medal might make it financially worth it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
playero wrote:
BMANX wrote:
Today he was!

Kool, any strong cyclists in the race?

Phillip Koutny from Switzerland - 4:15:15 at Kona 2 weeks ago and finished 8th, outrode Gomez by 12 minutes.

So FOP bike...we are not really close to that yet...

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez IM Malaysia [cheyser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really like Gomez but he won't make the top 10 at the Olympics if he even makes the team.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm. What’s better for sponsors, being in Kona for two weeks and racing, or winning in Southeast Asia somewhere?
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez IM Malaysia [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be willing to bet $50 bucks Gomez is top 10 in the Olympics.

jaretj wrote:
I really like Gomez but he won't make the top 10 at the Olympics if he even makes the team.

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply
Re: Gomez IM Malaysia [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think he could be top 10 but I don't put him on the podium. I'm guessing KONA will be his backup plan if he doesn't hit the numbers he wants training into Olympics.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to put a link to this thread in my Google calendar so i can give you gloating rights if he does.
And i really hope he can cuz as i said, i like him.
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez IM Malaysia [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
….and he wins it in a course record 8:18:59

Swim:47:17
T1:2:13
Bike:4:32:46
T2:2:00
Run:2:54:44

Andy Potts comes in 9:00:30 for 5th place 'cause I figure you Yanks would want to know.

8:18 in the sauna at IM Malaysia is pretty insane.

I would love to see him win in Tokyo. That race should be a sauna too in August. If anyone "deserves" to in in Tokyo it would be him after that stellar career and crashing out before Rio. But I am not sure if he has the foot speed for the Tokyo win anymore?
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez IM Malaysia [shimbike18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shimbike18 wrote:
Per IM MALAYSIA blog:

3 hours ago
Gomez has stated that his goal for 2020 is the Tokyo Olympics but that he wants to race in Hawaii next year to provide experience in his plan to make 2021 all about the Big Island. Let's not forget he has won 5 ITU World Championships, 2 70.3 World Championships, 1 Xterra World title and the ITU World Long Distance crown.

Just for all the predictions threads, this is the operative part of the sentence. Nobody goes to the Big Island expecting to win on their first try. 2021 will make it his 3rd appearance.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply

Prev Next