Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Felt IA CalPak to Shiv Fuelselage Customization [Fluc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To all people holding out on buying one of my panels, there's a 20% discount on Shapeways this week for the material I've chosen for my products (Strong & Flexible plastic). The info is all on the Shapeways website, but it basically requires you to use the code 'SFONSALE' at the checkout.

Felt IA Calpac mods on Shapeways:
800ml Specialized Fuelselage (XS/S)
1000ml Specialized Fuelselage (M/L/XL)
DIY cover
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Question for you FLUC, or anybody.

Will the 800ml mod (the flat one) work with a frame bag on top of it? Anybody else have pictures of there mod on the bike?

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA CalPak to Shiv Fuelselage Customization [way2sloow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No first-hand experience, but I think you should be able to fit a flexible framebag on top of it. However, that would mean you are covering the refill cap, so you lose the ability to refill the Fuelselage. Since it can effectively carry only 400ml in a Felt IA frame, you should think about how useful this will be for you, versus other replaceable/refillable liquid storing options.

DIY cover
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ordered a fuelselage from Spokes in Illinois on line.
The most challenging part of refueling is to keep the mouth of the fuelselage open then it is easy to fill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I installed my Calpac and the thing is awesome. There is a magnet that comes with the fuelselage that allows the tubing to be secured in place along the aerobar so it doesn't go flopping about. I'll post a pic when I can.

One problem that I've run into is that it is a bit harder to fill the fuelselage while biking. Because the Fuelselage wasn't designed for the Felt and, as such, doesn't open up completely in the downtube, it results in fluid not filling the reservoir quickly and overflowing. I've put in another camelback tubing to create a channel for the fluid to go down which helps some however it still takes a little while to put the 16 oz into the fuelselage. Has anyone figured out a better solution? I think the ideal way would be to have some brackets that would create a scaffolding to keep the bag open but I have no idea how to do so.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA CalPak to Shiv Fuelselage Customization [Trisumai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trisumai wrote:
I installed my Calpac and the thing is awesome. There is a magnet that comes with the fuelselage that allows the tubing to be secured in place along the aerobar so it doesn't go flopping about. I'll post a pic when I can.

One problem that I've run into is that it is a bit harder to fill the fuelselage while biking. Because the Fuelselage wasn't designed for the Felt and, as such, doesn't open up completely in the downtube, it results in fluid not filling the reservoir quickly and overflowing. I've put in another camelback tubing to create a channel for the fluid to go down which helps some however it still takes a little while to put the 16 oz into the fuelselage. Has anyone figured out a better solution? I think the ideal way would be to have some brackets that would create a scaffolding to keep the bag open but I have no idea how to do so.

Thanks for the feedback! I've had this issue, but solved it with getting the Fuelselage to sit better in the frame. What works for me when this happens: when you've put the Fuelselage in, try pushing the drinking tube a bit further into the frame as well. On my bike, this slightly pushes the Fuelselage further down and creates a nice opening in the 'neck' that allows fluid to fall down rapidly. Remind me, what size frame do you have, and which Calpac adapter did you get (small or large)?

Meanwhile, I've been using it happily for quite some rides. Did my first-ever race last weekend (IM70.3 Luxembourg) and it didn't let me down. Aid stations on the bike leg were quite short, so I had little time to grab 2 bottles and use 1 to refill the Fuelselage before the trash-zone at the end of the station, but I managed well! When you're in such a hurry there's some spillage, but I don't care, especially not on race day.

DIY cover
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply. I have the Felt IA Calpac cover w/ 1000ml Fuelselage mod (http://www.shapeways.com/...od?optionId=59905518) and the large fuelselage. Frame is 54 (which I believe is same as yours). Perhaps I'm not pushing hard enough. Will try when I get home. Do you think that adding a little fluid before inserting the fuelselage would help to keep the sides from adhering.

Am planning on carrying a BTA bottle and 1 rear bottle in addition to your mod for each 70.3 segment. Figured 2 x 27 oz bottle and 16 oz in your mod should cover me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Correct, I use the same cover and frame size. I usually blow some air into the Fuelselage after I've installed it to make sure it expands as much as it can. You can do the same after you've added some fluid, see which works best for you. Getting the Fuelselage to fit well can be tricky. Some days I get it straight away, other days I can spend 15 min fiddling before I succeed.

By the way, I also use a Camelback mouthpiece instead of the one provided with the Fuelselage. The one from Camelback closes off the drinking tube, so that the fluid doesn't fall back down. This makes sipping easier as you don't have to suck the fluid up the drinking tube. The Camelback mouthpiece is actually made for a smaller diameter tube, but you can fit it on there because its flexible.

DIY cover
Last edited by: Fluc: Jun 23, 16 8:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone tried this mod and not been happy with the design or performance?
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA CalPak to Shiv Fuelselage Customization [Chilybil23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't seem to get the bladder in correctly. I can get it in, but can't fill it at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA CalPak to Shiv Fuelselage Customization [gregarious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a shiv but I use a bent coat hanger. Just bend it and use the blunt end and shape it your your frame and then use it to push it down and then gently slide the hanger out.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA CalPak to Shiv Fuelselage Customization [gregarious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had accidentally cut my initial tubing a little short so I replaced it with some Camelbak tubing. I used the one that I cut short and placed it inside the Fuelselage pouch to help provide a channel for the fluid to fill as well as giving it an additional stiffness when jamming the fuelselage into the frame. I try to place it opposite the side that the other tubing is. It works really well. Fluc had mentioned blowing it open when you put it is but I find that this didn't work for me

Fluc, if you are reading, how do you keep the rear part of the fuelselage that sits on the frame from popping out. there was a screw that came with it but it doesn't fit the hole.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trisumai wrote:
I had accidentally cut my initial tubing a little short so I replaced it with some Camelbak tubing. I used the one that I cut short and placed it inside the Fuelselage pouch to help provide a channel for the fluid to fill as well as giving it an additional stiffness when jamming the fuelselage into the frame. I try to place it opposite the side that the other tubing is. It works really well. Fluc had mentioned blowing it open when you put it is but I find that this didn't work for me

Fluc, if you are reading, how do you keep the rear part of the fuelselage that sits on the frame from popping out. there was a screw that came with it but it doesn't fit the hole.

The hole on the panel is designed for an M5 countersunk bolt (like this one), you should be able to get it at most hardware stores. Make sure it is regular steel, not stainless, in order for it to be magnetic. There is a magnet on the fuelselage that should stick to the bolt. The magnet isn't very strong, but I believe the Shiv uses the same principle and it should keep it in place. However, when I put a 1000ml Fuelselage in my IA it sits very firmly by itself, I believe the 800ml is a little more loose.

DIY cover
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gregarious wrote:
I can't seem to get the bladder in correctly. I can get it in, but can't fill it at all.

Could you post (or pm) a few photos of how you're putting the bladder in?

DIY cover
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Went on shape way site can not find product could use some help on location
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA CalPak to Shiv Fuelselage Customization [rhudson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the link is in the signature line directly above your comment.

https://www.shapeways.com/...000ml-fuelselage-mod

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Last edited by: way2sloow: Jul 11, 16 17:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just ordered a 1000ml. I will let you know how it works when it gets here.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA CalPak to Shiv Fuelselage Customization [nrfosnaugh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A solid review would definitely help

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have compiled a small document with some installation tips. I hope this helps those having trouble getting the Fuelselage to work well in the Felt IA frame.

Furthermore, I am still eager to hear feedback from people. I would like to 'mature' the products past their beta stage, but cannot do so unless people share their experiences with me. I have so far only have one experience shared from someone with a size 51 frame, but would love to hear from people with size 56 and 58!

DIY cover
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Fluc - Thanks for the installation tips. You will definitely hear from me next week since I will have more free time to get it installed as my kids will be away for a couple of weeks to my parent's house!

Got a 56 IA10 frame. Just curious what is the brand/model of the box set up on your frame ? is it a torhans? thx!
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA CalPak to Shiv Fuelselage Customization [Mat-USA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Mat, looking forward to hearing your feedback :)

The box on the frame is another custom creation of mine. Here's my post in the Felt IAx thread about it. In short: very expensive to print, needs some more design work and different frame shapes make it a lot of work to get right. I probably won't be making it available on Shapeways because of that.

DIY cover
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which bento boxes have people tired? Any advice on which one to pick?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, I was wondering if you know of anyone that has had success in bolting a bento box (like the Torhans) to your DIY Felt IA Calpac cover? If so, would you have any photos to share?
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA CalPak to Shiv Fuelselage Customization [prenbach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have used the Torhans. I created a 3d printer file for the holes on the Torhans, you are welcome to it. If you have access to a printer it shouldn't take more than an hour.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA CalPak to Shiv Fuelselage Customization [mancala] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have a printer, and was going to just drill and tap into the cover plate. Do yu have a photo of how the Torhans looks on the IA? I'm concerned that it's too tall and will look out of place. Thanks.
Quote Reply

Prev Next