Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Does anyone know who won George vs Lance? [altissimotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with the comment above about doping in sports.

I’ve always found it interesting that everyone goes crazy about the doping in cycling... and then turns the other cheek to all of the steroid and HGH abuse happening in Baseball, Football, Hockey and Basketball.

I suppose I should just be happy that they’re trying to clean up cycling. However, it seems like the NFL and MLB have been able to control the narrative better by accepting steroid use happened/happens and suspending players appropriately (yes I know many more players dope than get caught). But I think by not accepting cyclings dark days and just focusing on Lance, this has created a larger distrust in clean cycling.

Just a thought.

Not sure who won, but I do enjoy me some George Hincapie on the Move.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know who won George vs Lance? [ZimZam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZimZam wrote:
What is the name of this podcast?

The Move and The Forward. They are really good. The Move does race analysis. The Forward is the one where he interviews people from all walks of life.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know who won George vs Lance? [OldRepublic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OldRepublic wrote:
Karl wrote:
Lie, cheat, steal take your choice. Listen to Lance, he is still arrogant.

Its not really arrogance if you literally were the best.

Not the best. He's not the best at riding clean, because he doped. He's not the best at doping because the people best at doping don't get caught. So he's straight mediocre.

I'd call Indurain the best in recent decades. He has 5 official TdF wins. Lance: zero.
Last edited by: trail: Jul 31, 19 18:57
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know who won George vs Lance? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whatever...

Haters gonna hate... if he hadn’t doped...won 7 tours...you’d still hate him. Which...in all honesty is fine...different strokes and all...

But...I would be shocked if Indurain didn’t dope for his five wins...he worked with people who were dirty...

And you can CHOOSE to say Lance has no titles... but we all know he has 7...and we all know OJ did it...
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know who won George vs Lance? [zooropa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zooropa wrote:
Whatever...

Haters gonna hate... if he hadn’t doped...won 7 tours...you’d still hate him.

Oh, I don't hate him. Just saying he's not very competent. Indurain did it better. Froome doing it better. Super nice people too.
Last edited by: trail: Jul 31, 19 19:18
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know who won George vs Lance? [Triathlete1031] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathlete1031 wrote:

I’ve always found it interesting that everyone goes crazy about the doping in cycling... and then turns the other cheek to all of the steroid and HGH abuse happening in Baseball, Football, Hockey and Basketball.

I suppose I should just be happy that they’re trying to clean up cycling. However, it seems like the NFL and MLB have been able to control the narrative better by accepting steroid use happened/happens and suspending players appropriately (yes I know many more players dope than get caught).

Alex Rodriguez is best exemplifies your point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
zooropa wrote:
Whatever...

Oh, I don't hate him. Just saying he's not very competent. Indurain did it better. Froome doing it better. Super nice people too.

Exactly my point... which is fine...hard to argue when you put it that way...but you left the last part out originally.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know who won George vs Lance? [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:
Triathlete1031 wrote:

I suppose I should just be happy that they’re trying to clean up cycling. However, it seems like the NFL and MLB have been able to control the narrative better by accepting steroid use happened/happens and suspending players appropriately (yes I know many more players dope than get caught).

Alex Rodriguez is best exemplifies your point.

Arod is an example of how we will only use roids against you if we don't like you. Arod is a likeable guy who's a good commentator. Lance is still so unlikeable and comes off poorly in interviews. For this reason Lance is better compared to Barry Bonds than Arod.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
zooropa wrote:
Whatever...

2 key things that help Big Mig and Froomey get away with it - they are nice people and they are European (well, Froome is Euro enough).

I've heard that the NBA doesn't even test for PED's. If so, that would probably explain why LeBron was so swollen when he was 18 years old.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know who won George vs Lance? [bretzky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There has never been anything likeable about A-Rod.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
altissimotri wrote:
trail wrote:
zooropa wrote:
Whatever...

2 key things that help Big Mig and Froomey get away with it - they are nice people and they are European (well, Froome is Euro enough).

Indurain began working with Dr. Conconi in 1987. He rode during a time when there was no test for EPO. He retired when it became clear the UCI was going to adopt a 50% hematocrit rule for the 1997 season. In the 90s you would have to be incredibly unlucky to get caught for anything.

Froome's team made it clear that it would cost the doping authorities millions to pursue the case so the rules requiring a controlled medical study were conveniently ignored. UKAD would not even go after Wiggins when he was found by a British inquiry to have used bogus TUEs for use of cortisone fr the purpose of losing weight to improve power to weight ratio.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know who won George vs Lance? [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl wrote:

I don't believe the original poster was asking YOUR opinion.

They asked who won the mountain bike race. Therefore your input is totally useless and you're also an arse.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know who won George vs Lance? [furiousferret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
furiousferret wrote:
Karl wrote:
The one that doped the best 😜

Really, I wish they would just go away.

We just had a Tour de France that honored a doper (Merckx). Wiggins and Contador were just brought in as part of the media. Virenque is a media darling, and Anquetil openly admitted to it. I'm far from a Lance Armstrong fan, but I'm not sure why he (and the other Americans that were tossed in the mix) were stripped of their wins while many others stand. If you want to say he ruined the sport, the guy was doing it the same time as Festina, Puerto, and that time was so rife with doping the entire top 10 for the 03 Tour have been implicated in some form to doping.

Around 11 years before Lance won the tour de France this is was the 100m finals in Seoul looked like (maybe Calvin Smith and Robson daSilva were the only two out of 6 finalists who never had a positive test)

If anyone thinks the Lance era was more rife with doping than the Indurain, Hinault, Fignon, Merckx, Anquetil, Coppi eras, there is a bridge in Brooklyn for sale too. The Lance era just had different drugs and systems.....but realistically all of that was already discovered by the 1984 LA Olympics and used by the US Olympic cycling team (not EPO, but blood transfusions).

Yeah, Steve Bauer lost to a blood doper (but it was legal at the time just as EPO use was not really banned when Miguel Indurain was on fire):

And Francisco Moser worked with Dr. Conconi for his 51.151 World Hour Record in Mexico City in 1985 on this set up:

This was the same year Hinault won his last Tour de France.

All this was not done on bread and water.

Lance did not invent doping, and he did not perfect it. He didn't even had a monopoly on being a dick. If anyone things Hinault or Merckx were choir boys then maybe the media has us fooled.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
OldRepublic wrote:
Karl wrote:

Not the best. He's not the best at riding clean, because he doped. He's not the best at doping because the people best at doping don't get caught. So he's straight mediocre.

I'd call Indurain the best in recent decades. He has 5 official TdF wins. Lance: zero.

What you want is 5+ and keep your TdF titles. Hinault and Merckx busted for doping but got to keep their jerseys. Indurain to my best knowledge never even got busted because what he was on was technically legal or at least impossible to sanction (EPO....as there was no test).

In Lance's words, when trying to tempt Kirsten Armstrong out of retirement to take a run at another gold at Rio and her "declining", and then Lance responding something along this lines of "Yeah, I should have just stayed retired too".
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know who won George vs Lance? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So George won?
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know who won George vs Lance? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
trail wrote:
OldRepublic wrote:
Karl wrote:

What you want is 5+ and keep your TdF titles. Hinault and Merckx busted for doping but got to keep their jerseys. Indurain to my best knowledge never even got busted because what he was on was technically legal or at least impossible to sanction (EPO....as there was no test).

In Lance's words, when trying to tempt Kirsten Armstrong out of retirement to take a run at another gold at Rio and her "declining", and then Lance responding something along this lines of "Yeah, I should have just stayed retired too".

He mentioned staying retired jokingly a couple of times on The Move during the tour as well. I think he realizes that informed cycling fans know he won 7 tours whether the AOC "recognizes" it or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OldRepublic wrote:
I think he realizes that informed cycling fans know he won 7 tours whether the AOC "recognizes" it or not.

Correct.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know who won George vs Lance? [Triathlete1031] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathlete1031 wrote:
However, it seems like the NFL and MLB have been able to control the narrative better by accepting steroid use happened/happens and suspending players appropriately

Shawne Merriman was a first-team all-pro the same year he was suspended for PEDs. Julian Edelman was superbowl MVP the same year he was suspended for PEDs. Rodney Harrison played in a superbowl the same year he was suspended for PEDs. Like you said, in the NFL it's just "hey, it happens" and they move on.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know who won George vs Lance? [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
OldRepublic wrote:
I think he realizes that informed cycling fans know he won 7 tours whether the AOC "recognizes" it or not.

Correct.

In the last episode this year, they were talking about how many tours Bernal will win and Lance emphatically reminded everyone that the record is 7.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OldRepublic wrote:

He mentioned staying retired jokingly a couple of times on The Move during the tour as well. I think he realizes that informed cycling fans know he won 7 tours whether the AOC "recognizes" it or not.

I think you mean UCI. Or ASO?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
zooropa wrote:
Whatever...

the only thing i like about froome
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know who won George vs Lance? [HardlyTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HardlyTrying wrote:
Triathlete1031 wrote:
However, it seems like the NFL and MLB have been able to control the narrative better by accepting steroid use happened/happens and suspending players appropriately

Shawne Merriman was a first-team all-pro the same year he was suspended for PEDs. Julian Edelman was superbowl MVP the same year he was suspended for PEDs. Rodney Harrison played in a superbowl the same year he was suspended for PEDs. Like you said, in the NFL it's just "hey, it happens" and they move on.

I also think that's how other doping agencies would like to handle it; someone gets popped the agency doesn't want to strip titles or suspend. They only do enough to appease public opinion. USADA tried to create a new standard by removing Lance, Zabriskie, Leipheimer, and Danielson's results but that obviously hasn't stuck. Other nations won't do that and IMO, that ruling has affected American cycling going forward. There are teams out there that want nothing to do with USADA so they won't sign unknown Americans.

Adding that and our Domestic teams signing so many foreigners and veterans, it doesn't leave the future of Americans in the UCI in a very good spot.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know who won George vs Lance? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for saying that. I have the exact same story. I would have never found triathlon if it was not for Lance inspiring me as a kid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
altissimotri wrote:
PJC wrote:
OldRepublic wrote:

Correct.

In the last episode this year, they were talking about how many tours Bernal will win and Lance emphatically reminded everyone that the record is 7.

The comment, and the way he said it, brought my opinion back to where it was when he got banned, ie, he deserved it. I was slowly getting to "maybe the ban was too much". Nope, he has no regret, other than getting caught and he doesn't see he did way more than the other guys of his era. That comment ws as arrogant as the picture of him on his couch with the jerseys on the wall.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone know who won George vs Lance? [Bogusdogs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bogusdogs wrote:
So George won?

Lol, can we get back to the point here? Bunch of off-topic ass hats talking about who doped the best. I want some results without having to pay for that damn membership
Quote Reply

Prev Next