Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Critique and assistance with bike fit - 21 Feb 21
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone,

Recently took possession of a new (and my first) tri bike, which I am really enjoying so far.

Before my purchase I got a bike fit, as advised, but thanks to the current situation with the pandemic, I am unable to attend a follow up meeting to dial me in, and will be unlikely to do so for some time.

I have set the bike up as best as I can using my fit report and also how it felt during the initial rides on the trainer, but I am inexperienced with this type of position and I would be really grateful if I could receive some feedback and pointers to move me into the best position possible.

As it stands I have done a handful of 1-1.5 hour sessions in this initial position, and able to hold this position fairly comfortably, but I am not confident that it is very optimised - purely because I can’t imagine I have been lucky enough to get myself into a decent position without help...

Thanks in advance!

https://vimeo.com/514913994
Quote Reply
Re: Critique and assistance with bike fit - 21 Feb 21 [DhobiWanKenobi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The position looks good but you will be able to aerodynamically improve it if you play around a bit.

You are a candidate for moving to a shorter crank length to open up your hip angle. As is stands you already have really closed up the angle and you don't have room to get any lower. Because you have your cleat position pretty far back and you already pretty far forward on the cranks moving to a shorter cranks will force to move further back on the bike and that is something you will have to play with to figure out if it works.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique and assistance with bike fit - 21 Feb 21 [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, my fitter did actually recommend 165mm cranks for me, but I was unable to have the bike configured as such and will have to try to do the best I can with these, which I believe are 170mm.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique and assistance with bike fit - 21 Feb 21 [DhobiWanKenobi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should look at the cranks to determine what the length is.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique and assistance with bike fit - 21 Feb 21 [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just checked and they are 170mm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
155mm would make a big difference.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique and assistance with bike fit - 21 Feb 21 [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:
As is stands you already have really closed up the angle and you don't have room to get any lower.

Wondering how you determined that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should reshoot with a block under the front wheel so you have a level top tube, and raise the camera a bit. Also, wear your helmet.

I'd try scrunching down (rather than reaching with your shoulders) to get your face closer to your forearms.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't want to open up the whole boiler vs screen debate again but if it was me I'd face the other way. Unless, of course, you've just done some DIY plumbing and are really carefully checking for leaks.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique and assistance with bike fit - 21 Feb 21 [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OddSlug wrote:
I don't want to open up the whole boiler vs screen debate again but if it was me I'd face the other way. Unless, of course, you've just done some DIY plumbing and are really carefully checking for leaks.

See I was so confused as to whether shooting a video from the drive side or facing the screen took priority. But I do like to check if the other half is smashing the heating while I’m in the garage...
Quote Reply
Re: Critique and assistance with bike fit - 21 Feb 21 [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
You should reshoot with a block under the front wheel so you have a level top tube, and raise the camera a bit. Also, wear your helmet.

I'd try scrunching down (rather than reaching with your shoulders) to get your face closer to your forearms.

Thanks for the input, I shall reshoot tomorrow and update this post.

My only problem is that I don’t yet have the race helmet. Plan at the moment is to source a variety of helmets from friends after lockdown and see which suits me best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
scott8888 wrote:
As is stands you already have really closed up the angle and you don't have room to get any lower.

Wondering how you determined that.

Because he's riding a Canyon, LOL.

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
check the tire size setting on your KICKR, your bike should be level with front wheel on ground.

Also, ensure bike in perpendicular to walls of room and camera lens is parallel to bike.

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Last edited by: ericMPro: Feb 22, 21 6:38
Quote Reply
Re: Critique and assistance with bike fit - 21 Feb 21 [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
check the tire size setting on your KICKR, your bike should be level with front wheel on ground.

Also, ensure bike in perpendicular to walls of room and camera lens is parallel to bike.

E

Thanks for the response. Just checked my Kickr and it’s the correct (700) height setting. As you suggest, I think I’ve just filmed myself badly. I’ll set up an reshoot as best as I can...
Quote Reply
Re: Critique and assistance with bike fit - 21 Feb 21 [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:

E

Ok, no changes to fit, but raised camera and lined everything up a little better.

https://vimeo.com/515332913
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks better. See what it feels like to "scrunch" like I mentioned before. Bring your shoulders forward and up, instead of stretching down.That should lower your torso and bring your arms and head closer. You may want to raise your bars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Looks better. See what it feels like to "scrunch" like I mentioned before. Bring your shoulders forward and up, instead of stretching down.That should lower your torso and bring your arms and head closer. You may want to raise your bars.

Scrunched up a bit in this video, appears to have levelled off my torso as mentioned...

https://vimeo.com/515358602
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's likely better for aero to go even farther with that. Can you raise your bars? How does it feel?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
It's likely better for aero to go even farther with that. Can you raise your bars? How does it feel?

It doesn’t feel too unnatural, I’m sure I could get used to it with some work. Definitely room to raise the bars - by how much would you recommend I raise them?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots... at least try it. Do you have riser spacers you can add?
Last edited by: rruff: Feb 23, 21 20:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DhobiWanKenobi wrote:
rruff wrote:

Scrunched up a bit in this video, appears to have levelled off my torso as mentioned...

bring your saddle forward 3 cm, raise your saddle 5 mm, and move your arm pads and extensions forward 2 cm.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Lots... at least try it. Do you have riser spacers you can add?

Yep I have plenty of adjustment upwards. I shall break out the fitting kit and add some stack as soon as I am able, and upload a new video.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique and assistance with bike fit - 21 Feb 21 [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
DhobiWanKenobi wrote:
rruff wrote:

bring your saddle forward 3 cm, raise your saddle 5 mm, and move your arm pads and extensions forward 2 cm.

Thanks for this, I will make the adjustments and report back with a video as soon as I am able.

My problem at the moment is that I’m all out of space for moving my extensions any further forward as they are already at their limit. I might try to straighten the hand grip section and see if that gives me a little more reach. I think I also have only one more step forward I can make with the pads.

Starting to think I should have gone for a large frame!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aftermarket extensions may be in the cards. Maybe the 51 Speedshop extensions would do the trick?

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: Critique and assistance with bike fit - 21 Feb 21 [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finally managed to make some adjustments!

Saddle brought forward 3 cm, raised 5 mm, and arm pads pushed forward 2 cm. Also added a small spacer to the mono riser.

https://vimeo.com/520073420
Quote Reply

Prev Next