Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Calling all Coggans [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As I answered you initially, whether how you produce power matters depends on your perspective, i.e., the adaptations under consideration.

Also as I answered initially, multiple analytical tools are available (and have been for a long time) for assessing such questions.

Regardless, as I (and others) pointed out before, torque isn't really relevant - what truly matters is the force and speed of muscle contraction, so best to think in those terms.
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Mar 25, 18 22:17
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all Coggans [stealth72] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power = torque x angular velocity.

IOW, if you know two, the other is calculable, i.e. the interrelationship is fixed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Instead of thinking about cadence and torque, how about looking at pedal force and foot speed...especially since that's what your body "sees"?

And then, we're back to talking about QA plots...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: Mar 26, 18 7:14
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all Coggans [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
An exercise physiologist, a cycling coach, and an engineer walk into a bar, and . . . ?

You forgot the "scl scntst" named "Red" ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
we look at cadence. very hard. have been for generations. we've never been able to look at torque. until this generation. so, if cadence is that important, why is the other metric not important?

Who is this "we"? Likely the only reason cadence was looked at "for generations" was because it was the only variable that was easily measurable. That does not mean that taking action based on that variable was actually useful.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all Coggans [duncan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
duncan wrote:
Slowman wrote:
we look at cadence. very hard. have been for generations. we've never been able to look at torque. until this generation. so, if cadence is that important, why is the other metric not important?

Who is this "we"? Likely the only reason cadence was looked at "for generations" was because it was the only variable that was easily measurable. That does not mean that taking action based on that variable was actually useful.

i don't disagree. and, that's also what i said. cadence was used because cadence was calculable. some of these smart guys above are introducing additional metrics that i think may also be helpful. i don't know. angular velocity. the speed of muscle contractions (tho i don't know how you measure that).

by "we" i mean all the people - literally everyone, virtually without exception - of any import and excellence in cycling who came before you.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i don't know. angular velocity.

...actually, tangential velocity (i.e. "foot speed"). "Angular velocity" is just cadence in different units. There's a difference.

Slowman wrote:
the speed of muscle contractions (tho i don't know how you measure that).

Tangential velocity/foot speed is basically a direct proxy for muscle contraction speed.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
so, if cadence is that important, why is the other metric not important?

You have specifically cited the the importance of cadence to support your argument that torque might be important. However in the case that cadence is effectively a secondary signal – i.e. it is not cause but result – your argument is rendered moot. What people have believed about cadence for generations is irrelevant; as I'm sure you know coaches and athletes have adhered to many erroneous beliefs over the years.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all Coggans [duncan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
duncan wrote:
Slowman wrote:
so, if cadence is that important, why is the other metric not important?

You have specifically cited the the importance of cadence to support your argument that torque might be important. However in the case that cadence is effectively a secondary signal – i.e. it is not cause but result – your argument is rendered moot. What people have believed about cadence for generations is irrelevant; as I'm sure you know coaches and athletes have adhered to many erroneous beliefs over the years.

We monitor "results" as important metrics all the time. Most of the "causes" are extremely difficult, if not impossible, to monitor in real-time and, in addition to that, there are multiple causes that lead to the result.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a serious question about running. Are there running coaches who specify stride rate independent of run pace or stride length? If so, do they also sometimes specify stride length independent of stride rate?
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all Coggans [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:
I have a serious question about running. Are there running coaches who specify stride rate independent of run pace or stride length? If so, do they also sometimes specify stride length independent of stride rate?

coaches routinely talk about stride rate. 180 steps a minute. they very rarely talk about stride length as a specific metric. 6 feet. 7 feet. that's not done. that i know of.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do they talk about muscle fiber types, and differential recruitment?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
RChung wrote:

coaches routinely talk about stride rate. 180 steps a minute. they very rarely talk about stride length as a specific metric. 6 feet. 7 feet. that's not done. that i know of.

Not good ones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now you're just playing with him...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i don't see what's train wrecky. what i see in the thread is that a few people have raised this question. me, i don't know. i'm just asking.

alex wrote two things: "metabolically, knowing your torque or cadence is not particularly helpful, while knowing power most definitely is," along with, "far better to focus on effort level and choose a gear appropriate for the situation."

to me, just reading those two statements, they don't square for me. if you choose the appropriate gear, you're choosing on what basis? what makes it "appropriate"? is the thesis here that you don't need to pay any attention to either torque or cadence? i very strongly suspect that the great majority of folks who earn their living from cycling, as cyclists - or coaches, etc. - would not agree that cadence is not to be considered.

i don't want to put words on anyone's mouth, but i can only read your words, not your mind.
I don't see an obligatory train wreck either. But you probably have the data already. Power and cadence gives you torque (average per rotation) with a little bit of post-processing, from there a few exploratory scatter plots will tell you if there is a pattern indicating a relationship.
Ramp test data tells me that as power demand increases, I choose to use a higher cadence, I do upshift as speed increases but not enough to keep cadence constant.
With a cubic power curve, 26% faster = doubling the power. So on a constant gear, 26% increase in cadence 59% increase in torque. Constant cadence, 100% increase in torque. Constant torque, 100% increase in cadence therefore 59% reduction in gearing for 26% higher speed. So I'm certainly choosing to reduce the increase in torque that would have been required for a constant cadence, but definitely not keeping it constant.
I could check on two turbotrainers with completely different power curves to see what consistency I exhibit, if any.

Am I making the right choices? Who could tell me, apart from my own internal feedback?
My first guesses are that I have chosen a crank length that provides the "right" balance between pedal force and limb articulation, and then choose a cadence that provides the "right" balance between pedal force and speed. A shorter crank and lower gear could provide unchanged pedal force and speed for a given power, it would be produced with a higher cadence and reduced limb articulation. What is most effective for (a) an individual performance and (b) positive adaptation for individual future performances are further questions that I lack the knowledge to answer. I probably couldn't even fathom the correct intermediate questions.
Last edited by: dontswimdontrun: Mar 26, 18 16:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:

Here’s one from Steve magnets:

http://www.scienceofrunning.com/...tride-frequency.html

Cheers,
Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Now you're just playing with him...

resist... being... that... coggan!

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all Coggans [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Slowman wrote:
RChung wrote:

Not good ones.

just answering a question, brother. not offering my opinion. i don't ascribe to stride rate as a useful metric. but that was not what i was asked. i was asked, "are there running coaches that..."

but there is a fundamental difference between running and cycling, which is quite obvious to those of use who do both, and which render comparisons not very helpful. there is no "stride length in cycling or, to put it another way, there is 1 stride length. not changeable. unless you change the crank length. and then there's another. not changeable. not coachable.

so, it's not helpful to try to draw a conclusion by comparing the two sports.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:
Slowman wrote:
RChung wrote:

Not good ones.

just answering a question, brother. not offering my opinion. i don't ascribe to stride rate as a useful metric. but that was not what i was asked. i was asked, "are there running coaches that..."

but there is a fundamental difference between running and cycling, which is quite obvious to those of use who do both, and which render comparisons not very helpful. there is no "stride length in cycling or, to put it another way, there is 1 stride length. not changeable. unless you change the crank length. and then there's another. not changeable. not coachable.

so, it's not helpful to try to draw a conclusion by comparing the two sports.

If I’m reading Steve’s article above correctly he delineates between force production (stride length) and force frequency (stride rate)

Similar variables to cycling no?

Anyways, laymen’s summary: people are different, don’t pidgeon hole improvements in performance to one variable (pose method) to the exclusion of other obvious variables.

2c
Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I understand your point, but there are coaches that ascribe to all kinds of crazy ideas or are stuck with ideas that are 30 years old.

It doesn't seem helpful to answer "yes" when the science has been pretty clear on the point of running cadence and many renouned coaches on this forum have made the point repeatedly.

The cycling equivalent of stride length is gear inches. Given your history I'm sure you know this.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Mar 26, 18 17:02
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all Coggans [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
I understand your point, but there are coaches that ascribe to all kinds of crazy ideas or are stuck with ideas that are 30 years old.

It doesn't seem helpful to answer "yes" when the science has been pretty clear on the point of running cadence and many renouned coaches on this forum have made the point repeatedly.

The cycling equivalent of stride length is gear inches. Given your history I'm sure you know this.

throttle back, pard! if you want to yell at me, can you start another thread for that purpose? perhaps there was an agenda to the question. i don't know. what i do know is that the easiest way to see a fight, other than turning on HBO on saturday night, is to get 2 coaches in 1 room. the answer i gave was straightforward and directly to the point. further - and while i don't agree with focusing on stride rate - there is still waaaaaay more "coaches" fixated on this than on any other metric in running. it's running's version of 220 minus your age. you may go postal or even go fedex on my ass, but that doesn't change the answer to the question i was asked.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not yelling. Just conversing. Can't be bothered to yell at the internets much anymore.

I agree that there are a bunch that still focus on it like 220-age. I put them in the same mental group.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all Coggans [dontswimdontrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dontswimdontrun wrote:
you probably have the data already. Power and cadence gives you torque (average per rotation) with a little bit of post-processing, from there a few exploratory scatter plots will tell you if there is a pattern indicating a relationship.

That's a good suggestion. In fact, if you took into consideration crank length (and thus how much/how fast muscles shorten at a particular cadence), and also drew lines demarcating different regions based on physiological data, you might really be on to something.
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Mar 26, 18 17:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, I'm just trying to protect you from the cat that keeps batting you around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Hey, I'm just trying to protect you from the cat that keeps batting you around.

i don't mind being batted around a little.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next