Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Best racing clinchers [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
PeteDin206 wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
eggplantOG wrote:
Yo guys what do you think would be faster for im distance? The conti supersonic or s works turbo cotton? I saw in the table the ss had marginally better rr but the turbo has somewhat flat protection.. I rode the ss only once for a 135mi ride and got one flat. How do ya'll think they stack up aero vs rr vs flat vs durability? On wide rim 23mm ss 24mm turbo

Yesterday on my 75 mile ride I got a flat, I was riding one Supersonic (completely worn out, EOL) and one Gatorskin (25mm and a couple hundred miles) - guess which tire had the flat?

The Gatorskin of course.

Yes that is correct. The kicker is the reason the Supersonic is on there because I said I would either replace it when I hit the cords or I got flat, that was last year, as in like Jan of 2014. I don't know if it is the lucky SS or not, but it has been unbelievable

You know there is this guy named Murphy who has a law about these things. Mentioning your good fortune with a SS is the kiss of death for that tire. You better take a spare tire this weekend.:-)
Quote Reply
Re: Best racing clinchers [giddens79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the gp4000s are so close to the s-works cottons and supersonics and they last longer and are less prone to punctures. look up the crr and see if it is worth it to you. they are all good choices. i own a shop and use gp4000s for racing and training.
Quote Reply
Re: Best racing clinchers [jjh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not that close. People spend thousands of dollars to get less performance than the difference between tires.

Tires represent the best watt/$. Buy the fastest rubber.
Quote Reply
Re: Best racing clinchers [Nick B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's about one minute for 56 miles right? Gp4000 vs turbo cotton
6 minutes faster than a gatorskin.
Quote Reply
Re: Best racing clinchers [Nick B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick B wrote:
Not that close. People spend thousands of dollars to get less performance than the difference between tires.

They're pretty close...

I agree, buy the fastest rubber. I don't think "what's fastest" is an easy question to answer. Depends on the wind, how fast you're going, depends on whether or not the Crr of your particular tires match up with the ones Tom tested, depends on the accuracy of Specialized' wind tunnel claims for its cotton tire--and the wheel on which it was tested. A lot of "it depends".

The Attack/Force combo, the Specialized tires, the new Zipp tires and the 4000S are all good choices. I think "what's absolutely the best" is a bit tougher riddle to solve than you suggest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jjh wrote:

That's 2 min over 112 I'll take why not. They feel better too, I bet my frame shape saves me like 10min with same position as round tube and I paid way more for that.
Anybody have tunnel data on supersonic?
Last edited by: eggplantOG: Apr 24, 15 18:33
Quote Reply
Re: Best racing clinchers [roady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
roady wrote:
Nick B wrote:

They're pretty close...

I agree, buy the fastest rubber. I don't think "what's fastest" is an easy question to answer. Depends on the wind, how fast you're going, depends on whether or not the Crr of your particular tires match up with the ones Tom tested, depends on the accuracy of Specialized' wind tunnel claims for its cotton tire--and the wheel on which it was tested. A lot of "it depends".

The Attack/Force combo, the Specialized tires, the new Zipp tires and the 4000S are all good choices. I think "what's absolutely the best" is a bit tougher riddle to solve than you suggest.

Given the recent evidence that actual yaws experienced are significantly lower than previously quoted, the GP4000S advantages are mostly negated. Sure, there's variance but that's not to say there's not a fairly clear choice. It's like ignoring a correlation (TRIMP vs. load) because it has a confidence interval.
Last edited by: aravilare: Apr 24, 15 18:43
Quote Reply
Re: Best racing clinchers [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eggplantOG wrote:
jjh wrote:

That's 2 min over 112 I'll take why not. They feel better too, I bet my frame shape saves me like 10min with same position as round tube and I paid way more for that.
Anybody have tunnel data on supersonic?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10FPcxci9lw31emNweZS0AP6rGopy-fMhv9SZPBOn560/edit?usp=sharing
Quote Reply
Re: Best racing clinchers [aravilare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Niccceee!!!! you got 23mm ss by any chance?
Quote Reply
Re: Best racing clinchers [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
chrisbint wrote:
Nick B wrote:
eggplantOG wrote:
S works turbo cotton

This.

Facts and figures?

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/...sheriff-in-town.html

Any data on the 26's? Moving from GP4000SII 25's (which measure 26) for road/crits.
Quote Reply
Re: Best racing clinchers [gtingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to be a corporate shill (I work for a Specialized shop) but Specialized is running a "buy one get one" this month. Unfortunately the cotton Turbos are not on it, but the Sworks ones are.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aravilare wrote:
roady wrote:
Nick B wrote:

They're pretty close...

Given the recent evidence that actual yaws experienced are significantly lower than previously quoted, the GP4000S advantages are mostly negated. Sure, there's variance but that's not to say there's not a fairly clear choice. It's like ignoring a correlation (TRIMP vs. load) because it has a confidence interval.

No, it's actually not like that at all. But if you want to believe that, it's cool. You're making a lot of assumptions in reaching the conclusions you're reaching-all of which I addressed above. For instance, it's surprised the bandwagon has devolved to "this tire is fastest" when the Zipp tire and the Conti Force roll just as fast--and neither of those has a glued-on tread (which generally is less aerodynamic). There's zero evidence that this tire is faster than either of those 2 tires? Again, not saying it's a bad tire, by any means--I imagine it's a really good choice. I also think there are a lot of "what if's" that are being completely ignored, and that there are other choices that are likely as good, and possibly better.

One thing I'd suggest is for folks to test the Crr of some tires themselves, multiple lines of inquiry and all that--vs. reaching such definitive conclusions.
Quote Reply
Re: Best racing clinchers [giddens79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I spent a lot of time on tubulars the past few years, but...

I just got Michelin Pro's and Pro/Lights for my HED #1 60/Disk setup. I really like these Michelins. I love the grip and road feel. And don't give me no chart bunk, these tires aren't going to be holding me back :).

On HED set #2 60/90 I have Vittorias but have not ridden those particular tires or wheels yet, but I am sure they are good. Every Vittoria I have been on has been great except for going FLAT too soon.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Best racing clinchers [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you test a new Conti SS23 tire? If its performance is similar to that of the new SS20, the tests would suggest the best option for the rear is either take a chance with a well used SS23 or slap on a new SWT Cotton 24. Also, does the latter have better flat protection than the SSs?
Last edited by: zamm0: Apr 25, 15 2:48
Quote Reply
Re: Best racing clinchers [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
charts aren't bunk dude

SharkFM wrote:
I spent a lot of time on tubulars the past few years, but...

I just got Michelin Pro's and Pro/Lights for my HED #1 60/Disk setup. I really like these Michelins. I love the grip and road feel. And don't give me no chart bunk, these tires aren't going to be holding me back :).

On HED set #2 60/90 I have Vittorias but have not ridden those particular tires or wheels yet, but I am sure they are good. Every Vittoria I have been on has been great except for going FLAT too soon.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Best racing clinchers [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/...sheriff-in-town.html

if these charts are to be believed, it is close. if you just feel the tires in your hands the gp4000s has to be more durable and resistant to punctures.

would you go worth the cottons over the gp4000s?

is it crazy to think that a tires is more aero when new before it gets flattened out a bit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I Don' consider 4 watts at 40kph to be close

I think the vast majority of yaw angles you will experience you will be in that range of difference, but not all.

I do think the 4000S is more durable, generally, though there do seem to be sidewall issues quite a lot

I would trust a brand new turbo cotton to last through an Ironman race 99.9% of the time

So yeah, I would consider the turbo cottons over the 4000S in many situations. Not all though.

Yes, tires are more aero when new, by a lot. Using a fresh front tire for TTs is a good idea.

roady's comments about the Zipp tires and the Conti Force are good ones - those may be faster than the turbo cotton in many/all situations.

jjh wrote:
http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/2014/07/theres-new-sheriff-in-town.html

if these charts are to be believed, it is close. if you just feel the tires in your hands the gp4000s has to be more durable and resistant to punctures.

would you go worth the cottons over the gp4000s?

is it crazy to think that a tires is more aero when new before it gets flattened out a bit?

Quote Reply
Re: Best racing clinchers [roady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
roady wrote:
aravilare wrote:
roady wrote:
Nick B wrote:

They're pretty close...

No, it's actually not like that at all. But if you want to believe that, it's cool. You're making a lot of assumptions in reaching the conclusions you're reaching-all of which I addressed above. For instance, it's surprised the bandwagon has devolved to "this tire is fastest" when the Zipp tire and the Conti Force roll just as fast--and neither of those has a glued-on tread (which generally is less aerodynamic). There's zero evidence that this tire is faster than either of those 2 tires? Again, not saying it's a bad tire, by any means--I imagine it's a really good choice. I also think there are a lot of "what if's" that are being completely ignored, and that there are other choices that are likely as good, and possibly better.

One thing I'd suggest is for folks to test the Crr of some tires themselves, multiple lines of inquiry and all that--vs. reaching such definitive conclusions.

The Continental Force from Tom's data is used and is also marginally slower than the Turbo Cotton (if you look 50kph column, you can spot the 1 watt difference). The SS is well-worn. The only Zipp tire with lower Crr is a tubular and 27c.

Regarding the aero question, I suggest you actually read up on real world yaw exposure (e.g., http://static1.squarespace.com/...ngle+White+Paper.pdf) and notice that high yaw (where previous data on tires shows real divergence) are very rare. At low yaws, even this "generally is less aerodynamic" assumptions is largely mitigated.

Sure, you could get a tire with worse Crr than Tom tested, but then you are certainly just arguing confidence intervals, just as asking people to run more tests on their own is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aren't the go-to tires for TDF made by hand in a small shop, not even charted?

Anyway I do have an open question about pressure/PSI - because I haven't raced clinchers, this season's events will be the first test.

There was a guy on Youtube with a Tri bike crash video...He jacked his PSI up to like 145-150 and coming back into transition his clincher rear tire exploded and down he went. Knda craziness you get from staring at Crr charts I guess :P.

Anyway, Michelin have MAX 116 PSI across the board, the Vittorias spec is approx 115-145. Being both clinchers, just wondering why the difference??

I like to run in the 115-120 range for tubulars, less for training being 170lbs. Using same >just over 100 to 110 ish for the clinchers. Feels about right.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Continental Force from Tom's data is used and is also marginally slower than the Turbo Cotton (if you look 50kph column, you can spot the 1 watt difference).

One thing worth mentioning is that the Force should be considerably better at puncture resistance compared to the Specialized. At least if it is using the same casing as the Corsa CX, and it appears it is.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Dugast and Veloflex? Pro sponsors sometimes have these companies make tires and then put their labels on them. That's if the sponsor's tires are particularly poor. But you can also buy these tires. I don't think there is any secret tire maker that is producing something for pros only.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, if you stare at CRR charts you would know that jacking your pressure up that high makes CRR worse, and, obviously, jacking it up higher than the clincher can handle is disastrous as well.

SharkFM wrote:

Anyway I do have an open question about pressure/PSI - because I haven't raced clinchers, this season's events will be the first test.

There was a guy on Youtube with a Tri bike crash video...He jacked his PSI up to like 145-150 and coming back into transition his clincher rear tire exploded and down he went. Knda craziness you get from staring at Crr charts I guess :P.

Anyway, Michelin have MAX 116 PSI across the board, the Vittorias spec is approx 115-145. Being both clinchers, just wondering why the difference??

I like to run in the 115-120 range for tubulars, less for training being 170lbs. Using same >just over 100 to 110 ish for the clinchers. Feels about right.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wceg0npaEd8

I uploaded this video as a possible warning as what can happen if you inflate clincher tires to more than 125 psi, I bought Vredestein Tricomp clincher tires for my bike because they have a 175psi rating printed on the sidewall see Vredestein.com , I wanted to experment with higher pressures and hopefully get less rolling resistance. I inflated my tires to 110 psi and rolled down a hill untill the bike coasted to a stop, then tried it again with 140 psi, I went further and faster at the higher pressure. Then at my next race I inflated my tires to 140 psi and near the finish line the rear tire popped off the rim and locked against the frame locking the rear tire and causing me to take a tumble it was my fault because I did not know that all rims have a max pressure rating of 125 psi for clinchers, since I like the higher tire pressures I have switched to Tubular wheels, Zipp recommends 140-145 psi for my Tangente tubular tires, check out my next Video "The 2012 Iowa State Cy-Man Triathlon" and see how well they handle.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, a roll down test like that is not sufficient to tease out CRR differences, so his chart was no good. He was measuring noise. This happens a lot.

Using the Chung Method, or similar, you can do a better job - such as:

where on road fchung method testing is represented by the blue dots.
Zipp did some kind of testing that found the same phenomenon, I'm not sure what their protocol was.

So, anyway, the point is of course people can make stupid charts and then make stupid decisions.

SharkFM wrote:
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wceg0npaEd8

I uploaded this video as a possible warning as what can happen if you inflate clincher tires to more than 125 psi, I bought Vredestein Tricomp clincher tires for my bike because they have a 175psi rating printed on the sidewall see Vredestein.com , I wanted to experment with higher pressures and hopefully get less rolling resistance. I inflated my tires to 110 psi and rolled down a hill untill the bike coasted to a stop, then tried it again with 140 psi, I went further and faster at the higher pressure. Then at my next race I inflated my tires to 140 psi and near the finish line the rear tire popped off the rim and locked against the frame locking the rear tire and causing me to take a tumble it was my fault because I did not know that all rims have a max pressure rating of 125 psi for clinchers, since I like the higher tire pressures I have switched to Tubular wheels, Zipp recommends 140-145 psi for my Tangente tubular tires, check out my next Video "The 2012 Iowa State Cy-Man Triathlon" and see how well they handle.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, a roll down test like that is not sufficient to tease out CRR differences, so his chart was no good. He was measuring noise. This happens a lot.

Just roll down once and call it good! Actually it should be alright if it was calm, he could hold his position, and he repeated the test many times to determine repeatability. But who has the time and patience for that?

Quote Reply

Prev Next