Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Average Pro Triathletes Salary? [scb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I couldn't agree more with you SCB.

I know most pros live like warrior monks, happy in the pursuit of their passion. It's about as benevolent as it could be. However...I think about these folks when they enter their 40's / 50's. What are their options? What bankable skills? How much money has been tucked away and managed for those golden years? It drives me nuts. I know many average to slightly above average sales people that would consider $8,500 an "ok" monthly comp check...plus they draw a salary, have a 401K investment match, health insurance, some have company cars etc... The pros in our sport get so fucked it's insane. I'm glad to hear that many of them are starting to fully understand the implications and the folks who see the big picture are starting to mobilize. You're right...$8,500 for winning a M-dot, 2,000 person field major race is insane, especially when you consider the actual check in the bank is a fraction of that number.

The Spartan life many of these pros lead make me support and root for (and envy) them more and more, but the financial imbalance against so many other sports is just shocking. (and I'm not saying driving a car, hitting a golf ball or kicking field goals is a trade less-worthy) Most of us have a passion for this sport to the point that it can be consuming, it's a healthy hobby, but one that effects our schedule and that of our families every day. It's more complex and demanding on several more levels than that of a runner or somebody who simply lifts weights at the gym for THEIR "exercise". That and several other elements produce tremendous bias in us towards the athletes we love and strive to be like. My opinion is that the current situation is a combination of a lack of union between the athletes and (MUCH more so) a lack of proper marketing / sponsorship / mass appeal / support of the sport's best athletes by the leadership in the sport in general. This isn't a confirmed fact, but everything I read says this sport is growing at a pace above almost any other. It's expensive to participate in from an equipment standpoint as well as the fees we pay at the races. The better races sell out almost every time. They are obviously more expensive to put on that a 10K running race, but something has to give. The upper quadrant (and I mean well beyond the top 10) athletes in our sport across the distances both sacrifice enormously to get by and give back tremendously to the sport it's self. It's time for those athletes to step it up a bit (and some help from the very upper echelon would help too), but it's also high time for the sport and those guiding it's direction to start thinking long-term. Do I think many of will stop doing races because some of our favorite pros leave the sport? No...I do not. Do I think the sport could grow even more, become more mainstream, attract better sponsors, secure more TV broadcast time and extend the appeal to the masses further and set up some decent purses that pay more than $500 for 5th fucking place at a big race...hell yes. I'm typically anti-union primarily because of the abuses I've seen in the automotive world, but our pros need to band together and craft a unified message to the folks you control the money in this sport. And us age groupers need to pile on our support for them by voting with our money too. I think Rev3 is a perfect example of something disruptive in a positive fashion. I hope to see more of that.

Holy shit....did I just type all that. My beer is freaking warm.....

ADW

Quote Reply
Re: Average Pro Triathletes Salary? [Chuck M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not Lancelot?
Quote Reply
Re: Average Pro Triathletes Salary? [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

My brother is a professional surfer,

Are you from the Garson family in Florida? If so, I've stayed at your Dad's old surf camp in Costa. Rich is a GREAT guy.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: Average Pro Triathletes Salary? [furiousferret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My guess is 90% of the posters here make more than the average pros.

I'd like to hope they are all smart enough to know the sport is a huge sacrifice in the chase for glory.

Macca seems to be doing very well. If you follow his tweets, he is jetting all over the country in a Gulfstream.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I saw that Rappstar and Sam both won $8,500 for WINNING this weekend.
Congrats to both!

In Reply To:
That's just hideous and is a direct reflection on the completely incompetent marketing done by the WTC and companies in the industry.
Give WTC some slack ;) The company that bought WTC most likely overpaid for it so it's not like that was a great investment IMO. And why would they have to please the pros. They have no other obligation than to make money for their shareholders. It's World Triathlon CORPORATION.

In Reply To:
Spectators drive sponsor dollars and I haven't seen a single initiative from within the triathlon community to drive meaningful growth. Some of the tier-one athletes need to be made into brands and those brands then promoted to a wider audience. Damn it, generate some excitement.
How many other sports that consist of three individual sports are receiving much viewer attention? When was the last time you watched winter biathlon or the decathlon? And while I do like triathlon, it's just not a spectator friendly sport. If not even the wifes and husbands of triathletes can't hang around all day, why should regular folks tune in to watch tri on tv. I agree that lack of marketability is a problem for the sport, especially for the "pros" as they don't get a wide audience that follows them. That said, a pro can always do more and stand out. Remember, Chucky V, he was about the only Tri guy that I remember on a Gatorade commercial. It's not just about athletic performance but about the marketability of the individual athlete. Maybe WTC should give the pros a marketing/advertising 101 booklet for their $750 entry fee...

In Reply To:
As a marketer (not related to tri), this is something that bugs me to no end and is brought to the surface by these threads and every time I pick up a triathlon magazine.
A triathlon pro is as much in the advertising/marketing business (if not more) as they are in the athletic business. Up to them to some extent to do more and get better deals. Not easy, just saying. And maybe, just maybe too many young guys live in a tri-bubble without realizing that pro-triathlete is to some extent an oxymoron.

�The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.� -Michelangelo

MoodBoost Drink : Mood Support + Energy.
Quote Reply
Re: Average Pro Triathletes Salary? [Onetimepad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I know many average to slightly above average sales people that would consider $8,500 an "ok" monthly comp check...plus they draw a salary, have a 401K investment match, health insurance, some have company cars etc...

$100k/yr on top of base salary and benefits is only "ok"?

Damn, dude...

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Average Pro Triathletes Salary? [iwjocelyn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since you ask, I'll be in your neck of the woods in about week.

Want to get lunch?
Last edited by: Learn: Nov 23, 09 23:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not really a spectator for any sport, but are you sure that Triathlon is a spectator sport?

Outside of family members, wannabe participants, and people who happen to wake up one morning with their house on the race course, does anyone really watch it?
Quote Reply
Re: Average Pro Triathletes Salary? [Learn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
was that in response to my post about finding a rich husband or buying a logo for $10k? ...or both?

(hint: the right answer is "both")

I'll be in Cozumel sipping fruity umbrella drinks next week. but feel free to PM me ;)

:: I came, I saw, I conquered. then I ran out of money, crashed into a car during an Ironman, and now work a bad-ass job making prosthetic legs for wounded warriors. ::

the blog: My So-Called Civilian Life :: theWongstar.com :: follow me @theWongstar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ITU races can be good races to spectate. It's the longer non drafting events which are a bit of a snore fest for the general public. I know of a fair number of people who will tune in to watch ITU races on tv...but then triathlon has a fairly high profile here in NZ.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I kind of envy the pro women who have spouses that make real money. But being a single young pro chick makes me more marketable to sponsors I'd like to think. ;)

I just turned pro in May and made about $5,200 in prize money this year so far, which is $5,200 more than I expected. One more race to go this weekend at IM Cozy.

I live at home with Mom & Dad when I'm not overseas at training camp. Not exactly glamorous but at least I'm only 27 and not 37 so I don't feel like *such* a loser. :) I also work part time at home when I am at home and make at most $2000/month from that. woohoo....

so where does a pro chick go to find a rich husband that wants to be her #1 sponsor? Slowtwitch or something?

Go easy love....

I know someone who is 38...has earned well into the 6 figures from the sport you're trying to break into for the past 4 to 5 years..and would stick kick ya butt now at 38.

Age isn't a factor and it sure as hell doesn't affect the numbers.

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Jocelyn,how about a little reality check,breaking ten hours twice as a pro female does not make you a superstar on any continent!I just read you blog and bragging that "only one pro male could beat you" means nothing when you are at some race that means nothing.
Sorry dear but you may well be the darling underdog of your team but please give the "superstar" tag a rest until you have done what so many other female pros have done to actually earn that tag.

Flame away ST,flame away.I have no problem in this case.

Last edited by: Ultra-tri-guy: Nov 24, 09 3:25
Quote Reply
Re: Average Pro Triathletes Salary? [yoondaddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
I saw that Rappstar and Sam both won $8,500 for WINNING this weekend. That's just hideous and is a direct reflection on the completely incompetent marketing done by the WTC and companies in the industry.

Spectators drive sponsor dollars and I haven't seen a single initiative from within the triathlon community to drive meaningful growth. Some of the tier-one athletes need to be made into brands and those brands then promoted to a wider audience. Damn it, generate some excitement.

As a marketer (not related to tri), this is something that bugs me to no end and is brought to the surface by these threads and every time I pick up a triathlon magazine.

$8,500 to win a professional competition is simply unacceptable.

It think pro golfers make more for just making the cut.

The difference, of course, is that people actually watch golf in meaningful numbers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I saw that Rappstar and Sam both won $8,500 for WINNING this weekend. That's just hideous and is a direct reflection on the completely incompetent marketing done by the WTC and companies in the industry.

$8,500 to win a professional competition is simply unacceptable.

Hahaha,sucks to be a tri-pro but that is just popularity and marketing.In Australia last weekend we had a seventeen year old girl win 10,000AUS($9,178USD) for winning the national cell-phone speed texting competition.

In 2005 a friend of mine won Ultraman Canada in Penticton (I was second) and he won $0.00 but,on the same weekend, the guy that paid $10CDN for a rubber duckie in the charity rubber duck float down the river channel won $6,000CDN when his duck crossed the line first.

Life 'aint fair.

Quote Reply
Re: Average Pro Triathletes Salary? [Raptor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
My guess is 90% of the posters here make more than the average pros.

I'd like to hope they are all smart enough to know the sport is a huge sacrifice in the chase for glory.

Macca seems to be doing very well. If you follow his tweets, he is jetting all over the country in a Gulfstream.

Haven't seen his tweets, but if that is so then he ain't paying for it out of triathlon income! Not at $4k/hour minimum.

Triathletes will make more money when someone other than a triathlete becomes interested in them.

Would imagine for most pros the sponsor income for important positions (hat, front of jersey) has very small base guarantee with substantial bonus income based on performance and therefore positioning of the logos.

Golf comparison: Titleist will give free equipment and merch to just about any touring pro who will wear their stuff in pro event, no matter how lowly. Said pro then can receive high five-figure bonus if he wins tourney wearing the logo, with lesser bonuses for top-5, top-10, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Average Pro Triathletes Salary? [RASTA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the change will start in Europe. Very saddened to see such horrific funds for the pros. I don't get it - at all. Place part of the blame back on the athletes (please don't flame see below) and the other part on the rds.

That said, doing a very obscure event here's what u get from ultra land:
France, Austria and Germany the towns come out. They throw whole parties that go into the nights - late. Think to some extent the event 'race' is the entertainment. Freakin parades and songs written (France and Hungry from what I hear). Quite the spectacle. THE RACES ORGANIZE this and the people get it. It's a different lifestyle over there. From some of my friends it sounds like rev3 might be on that path.

FROM the ATHLETE side: When I was in school and had to get sponsors most of my races were covered - for the excess I did motivational speaking - still get asked but man is that draining (easy $$ though).
Able to raise 4k in 2 days last year all without asking. It came from my regular people I deal with daily wanting to help. Very humbled as I was in a bad bind. Saved me from having to dip into the rainy day fund.
Made several contacts with agents (line of work - I work on many pros of mainstream household name status) and was easily offered 15k for clothing and shoes but I can't run in their shoes so I had to decline (trust me I tried as I go through gear!!).

Granted I'm very social and I 'pimp' products that work. If they hold up to my abuse I show everyone! I even show the competitors why I like a different brand and then the 30-50 athletes I have on my table every week. The pros all we do is discuss products (infinit u can thank me for even introducing our future swimmers and bball pros and stuffitts just about every pro knows about your product - love ur new zipper one! H20 audio got handled by 100s of people this summer and now in office and Zensah even turning some bad ass ultimate fighters onto u - some of these sponsor some don't it's just how I share what works)

I sponsor several athletes and in turn I'm sponsored by other companies. As my businesses grow I'll continue to sponsor more. My website hasn't been updated in 4 yrs and it's not my job as it is with the pros and yet the finances are easy to come by. I think there's plenty of funds out there if it's worked.

Sorry I rambled but as an athlete - and not a pro just an endurance playtime athlete the funds are easy if u get creative. If there was more time in the day I'd like to create an ultra USA team as raising funds seems to be the limited for the USA to be represented at the European races. Perhaps that'll be a project down the pipe.

Check out my buddy http://www.rowingtheatlantic.com they raised a ton of funds in 1 yr all while working and training - in this economy.
Ok vacation time the beach she awaits.
Quote Reply
Re: Average Pro Triathletes Salary? [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Hey Jocelyn,how about a little reality check"
---------------------------

Let me help you out with this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tongue-in-cheek

Haim

-------------------------------------------------------
"Sometimes you need to think INSIDE the box!" -- ME
"Why squirrel hate me?"
Last edited by: Haim: Nov 24, 09 5:47
Quote Reply
Re: Average Pro Triathletes Salary? [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

My brother is a professional surfer,

Are you from the Garson family in Florida? If so, I've stayed at your Dad's old surf camp in Costa. Rich is a GREAT guy.

Yeah, that's my dad. We don't run the camp anymore unfortunately but half the family is still in Costa pursuing various things. Spent most of my childhood at that camp.
Quote Reply
Re: Average Pro Triathletes Salary? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I do envy the ability of someone to throw down a near 8 hour IM or a less than 4 hour HIM time, I think I envy my bank account more.

I will stick with my day job. :-)

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha, professional cell phone dialer...

Here's another: Some dude in the US won the World Championship rock, paper, scissors event. He earned $50,000 USD!!!

Triathlon has numerous issues that need to be fixed.
1) The name is stupid. Sounds like a geometry shape, not a professional sport. The name has grown on us, but to the laymen, its just draws a stare.
2) The sport needs rivalry. Needs a point system going into the World Champs to determine who the World Champion is (like NASCAR, Golf, Tennis). Points lead to rankings, which lead to rivalry. Which leads to viewer interest. World Champ shouldn't be decided by who has a good day in a single event.
3) The sport needs unilateral support. (Starting with the bias shared on this site by its forum moderators.)
4) Don't allow the pros to be quitters. As soon as the going gets touch and they are out of the money spots, they quit. No other sport allows this crap. Give them season accumulation points for finishing the race.
5) Stop dressing so gay. Pointy helmets and compression wear is gay. Period. You might think you look cool, but you don't. You look gay wearing that crap. No one is going to support you if you are wearing that crap.
Quote Reply
Re: Average Pro Triathletes Salary? [RASTA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really don't think this is unique to triathlon. Yes, there's obscene money for relatively few in baseball for example, but how many guys struggle in the minors? Volleyball, swimming, running, badminton, softball, ping pong, gymnastics, archery, the list goes on and on of sports with very few making much money, if any at all.

You mention growing non-participant interest and that's a really tough nut to crack. As much bashing as NBC's Kona coverage takes around here, it's enjoyable to watch. Having watched NBC's show and Versus' (I think) IMOO coverage the difference was night and day. Even as an interested viewer, it was hardly riveting.
Quote Reply
Re: Average Pro Triathletes Salary? [bshanberg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The issue with triathlon is that it is the worst spectator event in the world- most triatetes don't even watch it when it's on tv, let alone non-triathletes...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-Cartels: Serotta, Zipp 2001, Guru, eh?
-"It was kinda long and then i got really tired"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hey Jocelyn,how about a little reality check,breaking ten hours twice as a pro female does not make you a superstar on any continent!I just read you blog and bragging that "only one pro male could beat you" means nothing when you are at some race that means nothing.
Sorry dear but you may well be the darling underdog of your team but please give the "superstar" tag a rest until you have done what so many other female pros have done to actually earn that tag.

Flame away ST,flame away.I have no problem in this case.

oh boy nick

that wongstar concept pass 10 feet over your head this time!!! But that is ok, your a good guy so it s ok if you didnt get it.

Jocelyn dosnt take herself seriously, it s more of a fun project and she is really aware of where she stand in the food chain. That Wongstar name is a fun name like Rappstar as had for 4-5 years now. You just didnt realise the superstar tag is a ironic play of word...

but she will get there...she sure have impress me by her results so far coming from very very very far....

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Average Pro Triathletes Salary? [tomroom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
This is my next major topic once the Pro Drafting at 70,3 World Champs has been dealt with but I will speak of it now too;

I have finished in the top 50 Professionals at 70.3 Ironman for the last two years (37th 2008, 48th 2009) I have not won any money at all in professional racing.

I have no salary/bonuses from sponsors. I receive no money from the sport. I am not funded. In England sponsorship is a joke. Comparable athletes to myself will typically have 10 product sponsors on websites in the US.(I do not know if this includes any salary/bonuses) The only free sponsorship I get is from whasp gels, the others are discounts. http://www.tritom.co.uk

In truth, professional triathlon is not a professional sport. I work to earn a living. Going to the Worlds cost me 800GBP of my own money. I would not see that back if I finished 8th in the World. Prize money is a joke and has not changed in 15+years.

Incidently the WTCs pro license is going to wipe the legs from beneath most pros. I know I can not afford a 750USD pro license then pay 300USD to race at the Worlds. When just getting there costs me 1200USD. I will not and can not afford to pay 2,000USD to race in a corrupt World Championships - see posts about Pro Drafting at World Champs or see my blog - www.tritom.co.uk[/reply]

Don't write it like your owed it pal. 37th and 48th is nowhere. If you have not figured out how to make a living from it then either get better i.e. top 10 or bugger off!!!! if your a 'professional' then try setting up some coaching, get some events organised or get a forum going. I have no time for 48th place whimpering 'oohhhh I don't make a living'. Sorry to be harsh but frankly you are not good enough.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: Average Pro Triathletes Salary? [Onetimepad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It sucks to be a pro athlete and make something like $20,000/year.

But if the pros band together an dform a union or something similar, think pro mountain bike racing, only pro triathletes never go tto those financial heights.

In other words, their salaries will never be on par with pro ball sports, auto racing, etc.

You need butts in seats, so to speak. In the US, how many people do you see lining the course who do not have friends or family participating in the race? In Europe, it is different, but still not the numbers that show up for a bike race.

So how much value does a pro triathlete bring to a corporation outside of the sport of tri? That is a tough reality. But that would be where the money would have to come from. The biggest coverage for our sport comes from NBC's coverage of Kona. And it seems that more time is spent covering feel good stories than seeing pros get their logos on TV.

Knowing a couple of pros, I have a lot of respect for what they do. One guy quit an engineering job to pursue this dream. It takes a big pair to quit a good paying job to enlist in a Spartan lifestyle with meager pay.
Quote Reply

Prev Next