Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ask Me Anything: The New HERBALIFE24 TRIATHLON OF LOS ANGELES
Quote | Reply
Hey Y'all,

On Sunday, June 2nd the Herbalife24 Triathlon of Los Angeles will kick off for the first time. The race has some unique qualities, I wanted to list some of those here and answer any questions that might pop up about this race.

Race Website is HERE

There are several events happening on the same day as so often is the norm now-a-days:
  • International distance triathlon: individual, relay, youth (11-17)
  • Sprint* distance triathlon: individual, relay, youth (11-17)
  • International aquabike
  • 5k run/walk
  • There's a "recreational wave" after the age group racers that allow friends and fam to cover LA together for fun.
*Asterisks by the sprint because the bike is 22k rather than anticipated 20k. Swim is what you'd expect at 750m and run at 5k.

One of the things we have to celebrate is the fact there this race offers a non-draft pro purse. It's so rare in our sport today. The money exists in pro long course (typically M-dot branded) and in draft legal (ITU) but the days of Lifetime, Hyvee, Bally Total Fitness, Bud Lite - even the most recent loss of the Escape series has left very few short course, non-draft opportunities.

A unique aspect of this race for all of us is the course itself. Is so rare to tear across the city of Los Angeles on closed roads from the Venice Pier to Downtown - it's a fun way to see the city.

The swim is the swim - it's an ocean swim, some times there's surf, sometimes it's flat. It's not possible to predict it.
T1's in a beach parking lot where Venice Blvd hits the sand. it's ~600m N of Venice Pier and 2.5mi S of Santa Monica Pier

The Bike course - is flatish but not FLAT, in fact there are some rollers from mile 19.5 to 23.5 that are legit. The last mile is downhill which should make it nice to spin legs out before T2. Here's a map of the bike route with some topo: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29568963

T2 will have a bike valet (nice!)
I'm under the impression that the Run course is two loops of this 5k out and back http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7355176 but that's still being finalized.

If you've got questions I've prolly got answer or, at least, a direct line to the answer - as away

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything: The New HERBALIFE24 TRIATHLON OF LOS ANGELES [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since it's sponsored by Herbalife, is the course a pyramid?
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything: The New HERBALIFE24 TRIATHLON OF LOS ANGELES [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Intrigued by the pro purse for an Olympic but couldn't find any more information on the website. Can you point me to the correct spot or give more details regarding $, field size limits?

Thanks!

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything: The New HERBALIFE24 TRIATHLON OF LOS ANGELES [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:

Lol!!!

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds pretty great - maybe a tad pricey. But that’s probably the cost of doing business in L.A. and not having a multiloop bike course. Come to think of it, I would easily pay the extra $50 to not have to do 2+ loops of the same course.

I don’t think I can swing the timing of it this year, but will keep an eye out for it in 2020.

I look forward to the race reports.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything: The New HERBALIFE24 TRIATHLON OF LOS ANGELES [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Intrigued by the pro purse for an Olympic but couldn't find any more information on the website. Can you point me to the correct spot or give more details regarding $, field size limits?

Benjamin, $23k purse split equally between men and women, pro slots are limited but I'm not sure how yet, pays 5 deep as such:
1st $5,000
2nd $3,500
3rd $2,000
4th $750
5th $250

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. Good stuff. I've got Eagleman 70.3 the weekend after but its tempting to find a way there.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Olympic and Sprint distance for youth (11-17)???? Or do you have different more appropriate distances?
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything: The New HERBALIFE24 TRIATHLON OF LOS ANGELES [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Olympic and Sprint distance for youth (11-17)???? Or do you have different more appropriate distances?

Diabolo,

The point to point course sort of paints the organizers into a corner on the distances. I'm with you about 11-15 year olds doing the international distance - that's not what I would recommend.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ian I am very excited to be a part of this inaugural event here in Southern California! So happy Herbalife has brought this tri back!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm LA based this summer and looking forward to this event. A little bit of sticker shock on the price upfront, but can't imagine the permits for this event are cheap and I'm glad to support an event offering a pro division and prize purse.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything: The New HERBALIFE24 TRIATHLON OF LOS ANGELES [IMVoice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike,

I'm so glad you're involved!!

Hope the book sales are going well. Congratulations on that.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything: The New HERBALIFE24 TRIATHLON OF LOS ANGELES [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
even though it's pricey, you should do it!!!

What's going on in LA?

JTolandTRI wrote:
I'm LA based this summer and looking forward to this event. A little bit of sticker shock on the price upfront, but can't imagine the permits for this event are cheap and I'm glad to support an event offering a pro division and prize purse.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cant wait for this!
I have a friend who is going to fly in and do the sprint, he wants to rent a bike are there any options for him that are connected with the race or can you recommend a local shop to rent?

"If you want to experience all of the successes and pleasure in life, you have to be willing to accept all the pain and failure that comes with it"
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything: The New HERBALIFE24 TRIATHLON OF LOS ANGELES [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm registered for LA Tri and Legacy Triathlon. Hoping to add in a few more local races, but we'll see how the summer pans out.

I'm out in LA for a summer internship in the El Segundo. Lots of aerospace industry companies in the area.
Last edited by: JTolandTRI: Mar 27, 19 7:13
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything: The New HERBALIFE24 TRIATHLON OF LOS ANGELES [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It will be a riot ;)

I can't be easy that they will close Venice Blvd and part of Olympic all the way downtown. I used to live in West LA, and I can tell you Olympic is not flat, and the last bit of look in downtown has some very steep short sections.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds like a great race, it's just too bad it's the same weekend as the Orange County Tri. Wish the organizers could have found another weekend do hold the race. (I do understand there are limited weekends that work for the city) With triathlon events fighting to stay alive because of dwindling participation, I wish events would work together to hold events on different weekends instead of competing against one another. I would happily do both if they weren't on the same day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
200 dollars for a SPRINT?

I mean, I know its LA, but sheesh.

I just can't comprehend spending that for an hour of racing.

Good luck. It does look like a fun-ish course.

ianpeace wrote:
Hey Y'all,

On Sunday, June 2nd the Herbalife24 Triathlon of Los Angeles will kick off for the first time. The race has some unique qualities, I wanted to list some of those here and answer any questions that might pop up about this race.

Race Website is HERE

There are several events happening on the same day as so often is the norm now-a-days:
  • International distance triathlon: individual, relay, youth (11-17)
  • Sprint* distance triathlon: individual, relay, youth (11-17)
  • International aquabike
  • 5k run/walk
  • There's a "recreational wave" after the age group racers that allow friends and fam to cover LA together for fun.
*Asterisks by the sprint because the bike is 22k rather than anticipated 20k. Swim is what you'd expect at 750m and run at 5k.

One of the things we have to celebrate is the fact there this race offers a non-draft pro purse. It's so rare in our sport today. The money exists in pro long course (typically M-dot branded) and in draft legal (ITU) but the days of Lifetime, Hyvee, Bally Total Fitness, Bud Lite - even the most recent loss of the Escape series has left very few short course, non-draft opportunities.

A unique aspect of this race for all of us is the course itself. Is so rare to tear across the city of Los Angeles on closed roads from the Venice Pier to Downtown - it's a fun way to see the city.

The swim is the swim - it's an ocean swim, some times there's surf, sometimes it's flat. It's not possible to predict it.
T1's in a beach parking lot where Venice Blvd hits the sand. it's ~600m N of Venice Pier and 2.5mi S of Santa Monica Pier

The Bike course - is flatish but not FLAT, in fact there are some rollers from mile 19.5 to 23.5 that are legit. The last mile is downhill which should make it nice to spin legs out before T2. Here's a map of the bike route with some topo: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29568963

T2 will have a bike valet (nice!)
I'm under the impression that the Run course is two loops of this 5k out and back http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7355176 but that's still being finalized.

If you've got questions I've prolly got answer or, at least, a direct line to the answer - as away

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any chance of y'all doing a discount for collegiate triathletes? I've talked to a lot of members of the WCCTC who'd love to do it, but find the cost prohibitive.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything: The New HERBALIFE24 TRIATHLON OF LOS ANGELES [PGelbach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello all,
I have a 10% discount code to share for the H24 Triathlon of Los Angeles

code: 6U3F

I did this race when it was point to point several years ago, and it is definitely a great course.

full disclosure...that's me in the red, white and blue kit in the ad on the right (assuming it's still there when you see this post)

--------------------------------------------
TEAM F3 Undurance
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything: The New HERBALIFE24 TRIATHLON OF LOS ANGELES [johnnyyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
cant wait for this!
I have a friend who is going to fly in and do the sprint, he wants to rent a bike are there any options for him that are connected with the race or can you recommend a local shop to rent?

johnnyyd,

Have 'em check in with Helen's Cycles Santa Monica 310-829-1836.

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything: The New HERBALIFE24 TRIATHLON OF LOS ANGELES [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds intriguing, I haven't done an ocean swim race yet and need to visit SoCal as it's been a few years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:

You'll get a "Wellness Coach" starter pack with your registration :)

Excited to see this race back. I did it in 2006-2007.

Can't stand the Herbalife name - but happy they are helping this race go on.

Just did the LA Marathon so I've "Had my fill" of Los Angeles. Would like to do this next year.
Quote Reply
Re: Ask Me Anything: The New HERBALIFE24 TRIATHLON OF LOS ANGELES [johnnyyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's been a slight course change for the bike. I rebuilt it here with some elevation: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29633709

The course is pretty darn simple, it can be done in text with ease. Here's my attempt:
  • We leave the beach and head east on Venice Blvd for 8.5 miles. This takes us under the 405fwy (3.5mi) and the 10fwy (6.6mi)
  • Then we turn left and go north on La Brea and go about a mile to get to Olympic
  • We go right to go east on Olympic and go 3.5mi towards downtown LA
  • We turn right and go south on Hoover for only 1/2 mile
  • We turn left on Venice and go east on Venice and this takes us right past the Convention Center, under the 10/110 cloverleaf
  • We turn right on Figueroa and head south for about a mile towards USC
  • We go right on Jefferson and do a 2mi out-n-back right along the boarder of the USC campus
  • We come back to Figueroa and go north 2.5 miles (and right past transition) to get to Wilshire
  • We go left on Wilshire, slip under the 110, take on a short, punchy climb before heading out thru MacArthur Park to a U-turn at......
  • Normandie - we come back on Wilshire, right on Fig and 5 blocks later we are at the dismount line which I'm told will be between the Staples Center and the Grammy Museum on Chick Hearn Court.

And the run course here: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29633769 and it's even simpler: north on Fig 1/2 mile to Wilshire, go left (east) go out 1 mile to MacArthur Park make a u-turn and come back to transition for 5k (2 loops for 10k).

Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Last edited by: ianpeace: Apr 4, 19 20:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Webinar tonight 6:30pm Pacific here: https://www.facebook.com/Herbalife24Tri/

It'll be me and RD, Brennan Lindner discussing details of the course and logistical advice in regards to the point-to-point race.

Hope you'll drop in, Ian

Ian Murray
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply

Prev Next