Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Anne Haug - Wow, what a level of commitment! [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you are trying to inject your definition of balance into her life, as if to imply that your definition is more valid than hers.

For you, balance could mean taking the kids to school, go to work, and see/talk to friends all the time. For people living off the grid in Alaska, balance is finding animals to kill, fixing some projects around the homestead, and see neighbors/friends/another human once every 3 months. Anne may not have balance by your definition, but perhaps in her mind, she has a more balanced life than you.

Your definition of a balance life and hers can both be true. What's the percentage of people living by your definition of a balanced lifestyle are getting burned out (i.e., ny household chores, financial stress of owning a mortgage, kids education costs, and etc), having mental issues, and having broken relationships somewhere? My guess is that it's about the same as hers.

The divorce rate for people living by your definition of a balanced lifestyle is very high compared to hers. Hers is 0% since her definition of a balanced lifestyle doesn't include marriage. Which is a better definition? It's a matter of perspective. Neither should feel sorry for the others.

Quote | Reply
zoom wrote:
I think you are trying to inject your definition of balance into her life, as if to imply that your definition is more valid than hers.

For you, balance could mean taking the kids to school, go to work, and see/talk to friends all the time. For people living off the grid in Alaska, balance is finding animals to kill, fixing some projects around the homestead, and see neighbors/friends/another human once every 3 months. Anne may not have balance by your definition, but perhaps in her mind, she has a more balanced life than you.

Your definition of a balance life and hers can both be true. What's the percentage of people living by your definition of a balanced lifestyle are getting burned out (i.e., ny household chores, financial stress of owning a mortgage, kids education costs, and etc), having mental issues, and having broken relationships somewhere? My guess is that it's about the same as hers.

The divorce rate for people living by your definition of a balanced lifestyle is very high compared to hers. Hers is 0% since her definition of a balanced lifestyle doesn't include marriage. Which is a better definition? It's a matter of perspective. Neither should feel sorry for the others.

Nope. I don’t have such a definition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
zoom wrote:

so do tell us how your personal definition of what a balance life is and how the 7 billion other people on the planet, from different countries, cultures, and lifestyles, should adhere to it so that they can have a happy life just like you. I'm sure all those that don't live by your definition of balance are having mental breakdowns left and right.

Quote | Reply
zoom wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
zoom wrote:

so do tell us how your personal definition of what a balance life is and how the 7 billion other people on the planet, from different countries, cultures, and lifestyles, should adhere to it so that they can have a happy life just like you. I'm sure all those that don't live by your definition of balance are having mental breakdowns left and right.

Again, I don’t have a definition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
zoom wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
zoom wrote:

If you don't have a definition, then how were you able to say early in this thread that she does not have work life balance. I believe this is the point we are all trying to make. Each person has their own definition for themselves, and it is no one elses' business how each person makes their own balance happen.

If you say you don't have a definition and say she has no balance, then you're just being a troll on this thread, and I know you are not that, You ARE projecting your defintion on HER by saying she does not have balance. We don't need to know your defintion, but based on what you personally define and have not disclosed you said she does not have balance. Maybe its as simple as your definition of balance is not what she is doing, but she is not trying to balance YOUR life, she is trying to balance hers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
zoom wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
zoom wrote:

This was actually an interesting thread until the guy who doesn’t speak for DFW chimed in…Anne hang doesn’t need your biased judgement…just stay in your lane dude. She might think your life is sad…but my guess is she’d never say so publicly…
Last edited by: zooropa: Nov 5, 23 8:02
Quote Reply
Re: Anne Haug - Wow, what a level of commitment! [zooropa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zooropa wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
zoom wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
zoom wrote:

This was actually an interesting thread until the guy who doesn’t speak for DFW chimed in…Anne hang doesn’t need your biased judgement…just stay in your lane dude. She might think your life is said…but my guess is she’d never say so publicly…

Fair. Let me clarify. If you actually read my posts, I never said that Anne Haug is a sad person. So, stop right there. I’ve said several times above I have no idea what she does or doesn’t do. I am trying to say that those that I am saddened when people cannot achieve a work-life balance—whatever that may be for them. There is no definition of work life balance that works for everyone so the argument that I don’t have the answers for 7+ billion people in the planet is likewise ridiculous. if you read my posts above I never said there’s a magic formula. But, I firmly believe that it’s something other than 100% work, 0% time off. I’ve seen too often what that looks like for some individuals and it’s not good.

If you don’t think a discussion of work life balance is an interesting topic/debate then you are welcome to not participate. I’m bowing out of this thread. All of you can continue to discuss whatever suits you.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Nov 6, 23 11:34
Quote Reply
Re: Anne Haug - Wow, what a level of commitment! [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe if she had taken regular brakes, she would be a better athlete. At least that is what training literature says.
Quote Reply
Re: Anne Haug - Wow, what a level of commitment! [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
Some of us are quite happy without kids.

DINK's 4 life

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Anne Haug - Wow, what a level of commitment! [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ecce-homo wrote:
Maybe if she had taken regular brakes, she would be a better athlete.

Finally, proof that disks and electronic shifting are bad for the sport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDuHgep20c4

Seventeen years without a holiday is above and beyond committed.

Watched the video and enjoyed it. I always been a bit of a fan even in her ITU days but I feel she has blossomed as a long course athlete. Probably due to that level of commitment and life style. She might not have a 'holiday' as such, but I am bang sure that Dan Lorang will programme periods of recovery type training as well as the kick ass leaving you feeling wasted type training. She is a regular at training camps in nice locations as well. I have to say if I had that talent and life style I might not need or want a holiday either. When life gives you lemonade keep drinking.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: Anne Haug - Wow, what a level of commitment! [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:
ericlambi wrote:
I didn’t know much about her before watching that video. I have to say, it seems kind of depressing if it really is as presented. She lives permanently by herself in a dorm style training facility? Never takes a holiday? Skips weddings, family events, etc? I dunno … if she’s happy I guess that’s great? But for an adult in their 40s, is not the life I’d personally choose.

Agreed. I watched this a few months ago and felt sad for her. That is not a healthy way to live/.

Yup - that's exactly what I thought. I imagine younger athletes might be OK with the dorm-style living and not having as many adult commitments (but friends to train with). For example, Michael Phelps may have had this kind of lifestyle in his early 20s, yet Anne is not in that age bracket, so this seemed like a bleak existence. I wouldn't enjoy it - I hope she has some people in her life to round thinks out.
Quote Reply
Re: Anne Haug - Wow, what a level of commitment! [cestmoi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cestmoi wrote:
Billabong wrote:
ericlambi wrote:
I didn’t know much about her before watching that video. I have to say, it seems kind of depressing if it really is as presented. She lives permanently by herself in a dorm style training facility? Never takes a holiday? Skips weddings, family events, etc? I dunno … if she’s happy I guess that’s great? But for an adult in their 40s, is not the life I’d personally choose.

Agreed. I watched this a few months ago and felt sad for her. That is not a healthy way to live/.

Yup - that's exactly what I thought. I imagine younger athletes might be OK with the dorm-style living and not having as many adult commitments (but friends to train with). For example, Michael Phelps may have had this kind of lifestyle in his early 20s, yet Anne is not in that age bracket, so this seemed like a bleak existence. I wouldn't enjoy it - I hope she has some people in her life to round thinks out.

Isn't club La Santa kinda like that training facility? Nice pool, nice track, but spartan-esque living arrangements from what I've seen in videos of the La Santa rooms. And that's considered a vacation for most people!
Last edited by: lightheir: Nov 6, 23 14:01
Quote Reply
Re: Anne Haug - Wow, what a level of commitment! [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:

Isn't club La Santa kinda like that training facility? Nice pool, nice track, but spartan-esque living arrangements from what I've seen in videos of the La Santa rooms. And that's considered a vacation for most people!

Or Jail. Trip advisor fairly level between the two with the latter having better punctuality for room service.
Quote Reply
Re: Anne Haug - Wow, what a level of commitment! [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
lightheir wrote:

Or Jail. Trip advisor fairly level between the two with the latter having better punctuality for room service.

Disney-loving sedentary baby-adults decide they want to run a marathon and the only possible way to conquer such a massive undertaking is a 4 day training vacation to an exotic island. After all, they signed up for the race, bought new shoes, and read an article about how it's the hardest thing this one blogger had ever done. Then they get to the hotel and all there is to do is exercise! Come on, this is supposed to be vacation!
Quote Reply
Re: Anne Haug - Wow, what a level of commitment! [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
cestmoi wrote:
Billabong wrote:
ericlambi wrote:

what do you think is missing in the la santa apartments? usually people go there for training, surfing, tripping to the volcanoes, sunbathing... you can even find excellent seafood restaurants. possibly not the right place if you just aim to lay resting in the bedroom
Quote Reply
Re: Anne Haug - Wow, what a level of commitment! [cestmoi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cestmoi wrote:
Billabong wrote:
ericlambi wrote:

probably she's doing perfectly fine now, but, whenever she will feel like missing some socialization, she might find a part time job at some club gym or pool, and still do very well at races
Quote Reply
Re: Anne Haug - Wow, what a level of commitment! [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jollyroger88 wrote:

what do you think is missing in the la santa apartments? ......

A TV and WLAN.

Ok, last time I was there was in 2000, maybe they have WLAN or at least a LAN connector nowadays. Best memory I have of that vacation was beating an Olympic Gold Medalist on the bike (ok, that gold medal she won was in long jump).

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.
Last edited by: Bavarian_Frank: Nov 7, 23 3:53
Quote Reply
Re: Anne Haug - Wow, what a level of commitment! [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let's not forget this is just a short video of her life and also designed to look epic and disciplined. We really don't know much beyond that she seems quite private about her personal life, so what.

Not the feminist wok type, but I suspect that if the video would have been about Sanders, the likes of akcorr and other who are spreading hate towards her will be rekindling their weird man-crushes on the guy "You are so epic Lionel". But, since it is a chick shown in the video...they feel the need to "man-splain" how she should live her life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like her as an athlete but Im guessing it will come back to bite her in the a$$ later in life after "fast" is gone.....
Family, Career etc....are what life is based upon as well as sport.
Hopefully she has a plan B for when pro sport is over....
Quote Reply
Re: Anne Haug - Wow, what a level of commitment! [Dudaddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dudaddy wrote:
I like her as an athlete but Im guessing it will come back to bite her in the a$$ later in life after "fast" is gone.....

people switch jobs and divorce all the time, are they all supposed to have a b plan?
Quote Reply
Re: Anne Haug - Wow, what a level of commitment! [Dudaddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dudaddy wrote:

She is a professional triathlete. That is her career and she happens to be one of the best in the history of the sport. It's not like she is a random duathlete or something ;-)

I don't see it as "plan B" that would mean her triathlon career failed and we can agree that has never been the case.

What is she going to do when she retires? who knows...plenty of options, she has a university degree from University of Munich so seems like she has that covered preparing for the future.
Quote Reply
Re: Anne Haug - Wow, what a level of commitment! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev,
Not to side track the conversation. But there are A LOT of professional athletes who are doing it for the check. The reason is "SPORT" is the best skill set that they have. Sport may have started out as fun, but it does become a job for most. It maybe an enjoyable job or a fun, but it is still a job.

This is true in both high paying Sports like Football, Basketball, F1 (Especially in F1, because unless your name is Max or Lewis you have not had a chance to win in the last 10 years) etc. and fringe sports. We as amateur's LOVE the fantasy of living our sports dreams as winning championships etc. But for most professional athletes winning and championship moments are very very rare. In many cases decisions MUST be made to maximize income over winning. This is where the term "Professional" comes into play.

This is no different than the Sales - Engineering teams that you manage. It's just that in normal world, ability levels / engagement levels are "normal".

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Re: Anne Haug - Wow, what a level of commitment! [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just went through a pretty painful process of moderation after receiving multiple DMs about this thread. Almost half of it went into the digital waste bin.

Alex, please consider yourself on probation as some of your posts crossed over from reasonable discourse to at best trolling some of our members and at worst attacking some of our community.

To everyone: keep the thread on topic, and as always, don't be a jerk.

Love,
Management

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Anne Haug - Wow, what a level of commitment! [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just want to know the correct pronunciation of her first name.
Quote Reply

Prev Next