Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 70.3 Eagleman [Peterszew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was my first 70.3 as well, back in'14, i've come back several times since. The swim can be unpredictable, it's a coin flip as to whether or not it will be wetsuit legal so be prepared for both. It's brackish water so the added salinity does provide a little better buoyancy than a fresh water swim. I think one year the current was a little rough, '15 maybe, but it's not usually much of an issue. It's a pancake flat bike course but it can also be windy. It's easy to get sucked into over biking on flat windy courses in my opinion because you think you should be able to manage a high mph and there's a tendency to fight the head winds when your speed drops, don't do this. The run will be flat and hot, make sure you've hydrated generously and frequently on the bike or your run will suffer for it. Definitely hydrate with more than just water, use gatorade endurance, salt tabs, infinit, etc to replenish sodium and electrolytes. If it's a hot humid day, as it usually is, take it easy on the first few miles of the run. My coach says "It shouldn't feel like your racing until mile 6 of the run".

It's usually a hot humid race but the main issue I think is that it's usually one of the first hot weekends of the year and the athletes in this region haven't acclimated to racing in heat and humidity much yet. I live in Florida now and would love to come back up and take on that race because I train in those conditions almost year round now and it's not an issue that it used to be. It's a great, iconic race, enjoy it!
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Eagleman [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had space open up in a nice setup with separate (private) sleeping quarters. Budget friendly and includes home cooked meals. PM if you're still looking, or looking for something different than a hotel stay. Easy drive to the race site, with drop-off and pick-up possible.

Anyone interested should contact me in the next couple of days (no later than Sunday, May 20).

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Last edited by: Tri3: May 14, 18 8:09
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Eagleman [bk2508] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Water is getting warm. Time to get that swimskin ready!!!

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=camm2

Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Eagleman [jimmyh49aus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
few weeks away! Hope everyone is getting prepped.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's everyone thinking about the weather forecast for Sunday?
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Eagleman [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teichs42 wrote:

windy, overcast and not too hot - looks ideal from what I've read about this race...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Peterszew wrote:
teichs42 wrote:

windy, overcast and not too hot - looks ideal from what I've read about this race...

Maybe we're looking at different things. I'm seeing 80% chance of rain, scattered thunderstorms and low 80s
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teichs42 wrote:
Peterszew wrote:
teichs42 wrote:

Maybe we're looking at different things. I'm seeing 80% chance of rain, scattered thunderstorms and low 80s

I should caveat that I don't really believe in rain forecasts - what I think is that it'll be anywhere from 65-80 during 7am-12pm and overcast - maybe a bit of rain. Beats 75-85 degrees with beating sun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Peterszew wrote:
teichs42 wrote:
Peterszew wrote:
teichs42 wrote:

I should caveat that I don't really believe in rain forecasts - what I think is that it'll be anywhere from 65-80 during 7am-12pm and overcast - maybe a bit of rain. Beats 75-85 degrees with beating sun.

I would definitely take that!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From NOAA: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny, with a high near 82. Chance of precipitation is 50%
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you finish the swim you have to run up a boat ramp to get to T1. At low tide this elevation change can be almost 8 feet. After that climb, the rest of the course is very flat.
You'll find out that flat may be fast but it isn't easy.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Eagleman [Bifff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually find flat to be somewhat more challenging than hilly courses because you're always spinning your legs. There's no downhill rest moments. Just. Keep. Pedaling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couldn’t agree more.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Eagleman [crujones#33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sidebar: if anyone is attending and has a Garmin Forerunner for sale shoot me a PM - open to all forerunners form the 910xt and up. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Peterszew wrote:
Hey ST'ers - my first HIM and doing 70.3 Eagleman in early June - any course tips or weekend suggestions?

Hopefully your training went well and you are getting excited to race. I do have some last minute race week and race day tips for you. They aren't course specific but having done Eagleman 3 years I can say that Eagleman is one of the easier logistical races outside of finding housing. Best of luck out there.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Eagleman [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At bike check in, do you have to give them all the gear bags like in an IM or is this just setting transition up at your bike on race morning? Also on Saturday, around 3ish, any chance of parking around rice site so I can check in and drop the bike off? Or is it just easier to go to the elementary school and take the shuttle?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teichs42 wrote:
At bike check in, do you have to give them all the gear bags like in an IM or is this just setting transition up at your bike on race morning? Also on Saturday, around 3ish, any chance of parking around rice site so I can check in and drop the bike off? Or is it just easier to go to the elementary school and take the shuttle?

I did the event in 2016.....looking forward to doing again this weekend....weather permitting. I remember no problem finding parking around the venue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is year is different from previous years. They are doing all the check-in (person and bike) at the park. If they allow parking in the park itself then there should be plenty of parking near by (either in the park or the side roads). If they don't allow people to park in the park then it might be a little tight but still plenty. It depends on how much you'd want to walk. I've done it for 4 years now and never have had issues finding parking on race day so I'd assume parking during check-in won't be a big deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Pretty cool trophies...

Peterszew wrote:

Picture for your clicks

[/url][/quote

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Last edited by: salmonsteve: Jun 6, 18 21:55
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Eagleman [FuzzyRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Water temp 75 degrees and climbing - going to be a close call!

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=camm2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea I think the only way we get a wetsuit legal swim is if we get storms/rain the night before. Going to be warm tomorrow and Saturday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I asked earlier but no one responded.

Anyone know if this is like an IM where you pack up your transition bags and give it to them the day before the race? Or do we set up everything at our bike like local races?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did Eagleman last year - stuff can be left at the bike in transition area - no bags like an IM.

The only 70.3 races I've done that have had transition bags have been at the world championships.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FuzzyRunner wrote:
Yea I think the only way we get a wetsuit legal swim is if we get storms/rain the night before. Going to be warm tomorrow and Saturday.

cold front coming through - will be close...
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Eagleman [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
I did Eagleman last year - stuff can be left at the bike in transition area - no bags like an IM.

The only 70.3 races I've done that have had transition bags have been at the world championships.

Thanks so much!
Quote Reply

Prev Next