jkhayc wrote:
Discuss

Good!
Dirty as hell!
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [shady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know what to think anymore.

I once thought Schumaker was honest, but he never heard of nandrolone? Yeah, OK. Sure.

I'm worried about GDS now.

I only swim.
I used to run. (31:09 10k.)
I never did Triathlon. (Sue me.)
Last edited by: Skuj: Jun 20, 21 15:57
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [Mudge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mudge wrote:
Frank Shorter reportedly ate pizza with mayonnaise. Said it was his way of getting enough total calories without overworking his gut.

That was Bill Rodgers, not Frank Shorter. :) https://www.runnersworld.com/...ndary-meals-at-home/
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
Mudge wrote:

Frank Shorter reportedly ate pizza with mayonnaise. Said it was his way of getting enough total calories without overworking his gut.

That was Bill Rodgers, not Frank Shorter. :) https://www.runnersworld.com/...ndary-meals-at-home/

I stand corrected
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [Skuj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skuj wrote:

I once thought Schumaker was honest, but he never heard of nandrolone? Yeah, OK. Sure.

I'm worried about GDS now.

It was pretty disappointing seeing him reading from a clearly vetted/prepared script, and claiming to never have heard of Nandrolone (must have been catching up on his Netflix queue during the whole Marion Jones saga).

I get the feeling that after the NOP fiasco, they were as much trying to protect BTC as Shelby. Saying that he'd never heard of Nandrolone was an answer to a question no one asked.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [Skuj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skuj wrote:

having know quite a few world class athletes including Jr World Champ in a T&F event, National record holders in multi T&F events, Multiple Top 10 world ranked T&F athletes, Olympic medalists in 3 sports and Olympians in at least 4 sports, plus more world/national class runners, cyclists, triathletes, as well as a cyclist who wasn't given a contract renewal bc they were a low responder to EPO (why waste $ they were told) as well as coaches in multiple sports in and out of triathlon then I can remember is that even the highest profile, nicest person, give you the shirt off their back, buy the first round every time they see you, go out of their way to do something nice for you guys/girls use PEDs, often with the help of their coaches, NGB's, team doctors.

while i really don't watch high level sports, that much, well any sports tbt, when I do I just remember that it's probably much more black & grey than white.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone see Quigley's insta post about scratching and taking time off recently? I'm calling it... She outted the team in some sort of plea deal.
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
I can remember is that even the highest profile, nicest person, give you the shirt off their back, buy the first round every time they see you, go out of their way to do something nice for you guys/girls use PEDs, often with the help of their coaches, NGB's, team doctors.

Yup. Being a really nice person is not at all incongruent with being a doper.

And...people tend to be blind when it comes to those that they are emotionally invested in and care about, and overlook clear signs of doping that are obvious to others.
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [darkwave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
darkwave wrote:

I'm fortunate that all the people I've known and raced against who then tested positive were jerks all along. (in the masters cycling world)

But I agree that being nice is not circumstantial evidence for being clean.
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [darkwave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
darkwave wrote:
desert dude wrote:

I can remember is that even the highest profile, nicest person, give you the shirt off their back, buy the first round every time they see you, go out of their way to do something nice for you guys/girls use PEDs, often with the help of their coaches, NGB's, team doctors.

And...people tend to be blind when it comes to those that they are emotionally invested in and care about, and overlook clear signs of doping that are obvious to others.

I am a lot more self righteous than I should be.

But I don't think moralistic personal attacks make sense here.

There are economic, professional and technical incentives for doping.
Anti-doping efforts should go after these structural incentives.
The individuals involved are just people.

Personally:
1) I am jealous that I was never good enough- so that doping would have made any sense.
2) Ironically, I am also grateful that I was never good enough- so that doping would of made any sense. This way moral ambiguity doesn't disrupt my enjoyment of sports.
3) I can't judge Shelby.
4) I wish she were clean. But I realize that is unlikely. And I think a 4 year ban is appropriate.
Last edited by: Velocibuddha: Jun 22, 21 11:50
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lance fooled me once, and so maybe I shouldn't be fooled again, but I guess I want to believe there isn't intentional cheating going on, and that it's probably more likely that Shelby consumed a tainted supplement she believed to be legal vs. somehow ending up with uncastrated boar in her carne asada burrito.

But I couldn't help but shake my head as Elise Cranny dominated the 5000m yesterday as the commentators repeatedly mentioned "she really struggled in college, but has greatly improved since working with Bowerman"
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [scenicRoute] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scenicRoute wrote:
Lance fooled me once, and so maybe I shouldn't be fooled again

No disrespect intended - this genuinely interests me.

Were there really people out there - particularly those who were involved in Tri/cycling - who really thought Armstrong was clean?
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tens of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands believed in Lance and his story.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:

That seems pretty low a number. Millions likely.
I remember the witch-hunting of ‘Lance-haters‘ here on this forum very vividly.
I’d say it was at least 80/20 pro ‘Lance‘ when the first accusations came out.
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NAB777 wrote:
scenicRoute wrote:
Lance fooled me once, and so maybe I shouldn't be fooled again

No disrespect intended - this genuinely interests me.

Were there really people out there - particularly those who were involved in Tri/cycling - who really thought Armstrong was clean?

A lot of folks, even some very prominent ones on this forum. You can do searches; there are huge threads from that time discussing it.

I think finding out that all the "compelling" arguments were red herrings (he never tested positive, after having cancer there's no way he'd dope, his metamorphosis as a rider was due to cancer changing his body, he just works harder than everyone else, etc., etc.) make a lot of us very skeptical of flimsy explanations (ex. pork offal burrito) and more likely to employ Occam's razor.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is from the Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/...-us-farming-revealed ...

Livestock raised for food in the US are dosed with five times as much antibiotic medicine as farm animals in the UK, new data has shown, raising questions about rules on meat imports under post-Brexit trade deals.
The difference in rates of dosage rises to at least nine times as much in the case of cattle raised for beef, and may be as high as 16 times the rate of dosage per cow in the UK. There is currently a ban on imports of American beef throughout Europe, owing mainly to the free use of growth hormones in the US.
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [cantswim24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting, but bears little implication for the Houlihan case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cantswim24 wrote:
this is from the Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/...-us-farming-revealed ...

Livestock raised for food in the US are dosed with five times as much antibiotic medicine as farm animals in the UK, new data has shown, raising questions about rules on meat imports under post-Brexit trade deals.
The difference in rates of dosage rises to at least nine times as much in the case of cattle raised for beef, and may be as high as 16 times the rate of dosage per cow in the UK. There is currently a ban on imports of American beef throughout Europe, owing mainly to the free use of growth hormones in the US.

She really should have emphasized that it was an "authentic American food truck" rather than an "authentic Mexican food truck."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cantswim24 wrote:

Nandralone is not an anti-biotic.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nandrolone is neither an antibiotic nor growth hormone.
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [nevertoolate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nevertoolate wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

That seems pretty low a number. Millions likely.
I remember the witch-hunting of ‘Lance-haters‘ here on this forum very vividly.
I’d say it was at least 80/20 pro ‘Lance‘ when the first accusations came out.

Status
Registered User - Offline
Registered
Feb 1, 21 21:26
Last Logged On
Jun 27, 21 14:01
Local Time
Jun 27, 21 14:10

Sus.
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He like many others, including myself, have been kicked from the forum and registered with another name. So that process nothing
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or he could have been a lurker for 15 years like me?

I only swim.
I used to run. (31:09 10k.)
I never did Triathlon. (Sue me.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cantswim24 wrote:

And still the world wonders why human diseases are becoming tolerant to antibiotics đŸ˜–
Quote Reply
Re: 4yr ban for Shelby Houlihan [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
cantswim24 wrote:

Nandralone is not an anti-biotic.

No. But if they are pumped full of antibiotics, what else are they pumped full of.
Steroids, growth hormones, what else ?
Last edited by: BobAjobb: Sep 2, 21 12:49
Quote Reply

Prev Next