Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2023 PTO Race Schedule [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]

B_Doughtie wrote:
"Norwegian Method" is part of the folklore now in the sport.

When Seiler started discussion polarized training and he referred to the Norwegian skiers a lot, some people called that the Norwegian method. Then Olav started sharing and developing his ideas, he, and some, referred to this as the Norwegian method.

Which of the two is now folklore in the sport ? If triathlon specific, I would guess the second. Across more sports, I would think the first.

Re: 2023 PTO Race Schedule [eddoes3] [ In reply to ]

eddoes3 wrote:
giorgitd wrote:
WT Multisport Worlds are in Townsville AUS in mid-August. Maybe there/then?
in theory this should be the championship if this is going to WT long distance and PTO event according to the agreement. Can't see it working this year though. I don't think PTO and WT have worked out all the kinks yet. So do you expect or want the pros to be wear national uniforms since these are going to be WT long distance races? The Canadian one is definitely ugly. I have one.
https://townsville.triathlon.org/long-distance-triathlon/
The elite/pro field there will be mandated to wear national uniforms (same as Ibiza last year). I fear participation will be emasculated (even more than normal) by the demands on the top 25 pros of either the PTO Tour or the IM Series (need to race two IMs before Nice/Kona). Agree: the PTO/WT kinks are unresolved.
https://protriathletes.org/...and-pto-join-forces/
[Edited]"World Triathlon and the Professional Triathletes Organisation (PTO) announced today a new partnership that will recognise the PTO Tour (a season-long points-based series over the ‘made for TV’ 100km distance) as the official World Championship Tour of long distance triathlon: the long distance equivalent of WTCS - with Elite men’s and women’s World Championship titles awarded at the end."
Perhaps there is a pedantic escape route.
I hope athletes in the PTO Tour race in trisuits which show their name and nationality as it adds to the quality of the spectator (beside the field of play and on tv) and the images for wider media.

Re: 2023 PTO Race Schedule [marcag] [ In reply to ]

It's why I actually always use quotation marks around Norwegian Method any time I reference it (seriously read any post on it and it's "Norwegian Method"). As yes it's been a protocol adopted many years ago. However if it's stolen valor that Olaf gets credited within the sport of tri specifically when we shouldn't be calling that- that's a bridge I don't care to be specific on. "We" generally know who we are referring to when we are talking Blu/Gustav Olaf led training.

If it means we are stealing valor, so be it. Strike that against me Marc.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jan 20, 24 8:59

B_Doughtie wrote:
It's why I actually always use quotation marks around Norwegian Method any time I reference it (seriously read any post on it and it's "Norwegian Method"). As yes it's been a protocol adopted many years ago. However if it's stolen valor that Olaf gets credited within the sport of tri specifically when we shouldn't be calling that- that's a bridge I don't care to be specific on. "We" generally know who we are referring to when we are talking Blu/Gustav Olaf led training.

If it means we are stealing valor, so be it. Strike that against me Marc.

No criticism in any way. I was just curious which you were referring to.

I think more people in triathlon think of the Olav method when hearing about the Norwgian method, but when you speak to a Norwegian cyclist, they don't have a clue what you are talking about. Seiler definitely doesn't think the Olav method is the Norwegian method.

Re: 2023 PTO Race Schedule [marcag] [ In reply to ]

I dont think there is a person on this site that doesn't think the Norwegian Method = the Olav trainng method when we are talking about Gustav/Blu specificially (which my post directly mentioned)

Should we get Olav to agree to change it to the "Olav Method" so there is no confusion?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jan 20, 24 9:16

Re: 2023 PTO Race Schedule [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]

eddoes3 wrote:
in theory this should be the championship if this is going to WT long distance and PTO event according to the agreement. Can't see it working this year though. I don't think PTO and WT have worked out all the kinks yet. So do you expect or want the pros to be wear national uniforms since these are going to be WT long distance races? The Canadian one is definitely ugly. I have one.

Just to be clear...Townsville AUS is the 2024 WT multisport Worlds but Malaga ESP is the 2024 WT triathlon Worlds (in mid-October). It's a little confusing as PTO raced in Ibiza in 2023 aligned with the multisport Worlds there. But maybe the WT/PTO agreement targets Malaga and not Townsville? The timing is pretty complex. Not too terrible for the Women racing Worlds in Nice in mid-Sep, but not great for the men racing Worlds in Kona about 10-14 days after Malaga.

Re: 2023 PTO Race Schedule [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]

Lurker4 wrote:
So PTO will have a race in Malibu? Sounds exciting. Who's the bad guy again here? Someone remind me who I'm supposed to hate....

Really it just seems like good business if this opens a consistent door for the PTO in Malibu.

Now that I've put some critical thought to this, I don't think this will be the case at all. The permit for this year's race did not allow them to have the Olympic Distance bike course. It's going to be sprint only right? So maybe this is more or less a deposit for next year's race? Just struggle to see how this will look any good on such a short loop. A race up PCH in Malibu 10 miles out and back would be amazing, but I think you'd have a NIMBY problem.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.

B_Doughtie wrote:
I dont think there is a person on this site that doesn't think the Norwegian Method = the Olav trainng method when we are talking about Gustav/Blu specificially (which my post directly mentioned)

Should we get Olav to agree to change it to the "Olav Method" so there is no confusion?

No, the Olav Method is distinct from the training method. The Olav Method is when you take as long as possible being as specifically vague as possible in a sciencey-sounding way to say something that's not really cutting edge new science at all.

Re: 2023 PTO Race Schedule [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]

No, it looks like they have a Sunday Olympic distance race again.

Saturday is expo / kids race. (So *maybe* the pro race, too?)

https://zumabeachtriathlon.org/

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter

TheStroBro wrote:
Lurker4 wrote:
So PTO will have a race in Malibu? Sounds exciting. Who's the bad guy again here? Someone remind me who I'm supposed to hate....

Really it just seems like good business if this opens a consistent door for the PTO in Malibu.

Now that I've put some critical thought to this, I don't think this will be the case at all. The permit for this year's race did not allow them to have the Olympic Distance bike course. It's going to be sprint only right? So maybe this is more or less a deposit for next year's race? Just struggle to see how this will look any good on such a short loop. A race up PCH in Malibu 10 miles out and back would be amazing, but I think you'd have a NIMBY problem.
If there isn't a PTO race there despite paying $300k to support this dude, I'm going to raise a stink...

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors

Re: 2023 PTO Race Schedule [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]

realbdeal wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
Lurker4 wrote:

If there isn't a PTO race there despite paying $300k to support this dude, I'm going to raise a stink...

DO NOT FUCK WITH BEN DEAL!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!

Re: 2023 PTO Race Schedule [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]

realbdeal wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
Lurker4 wrote:

Wow, I'm just catching up on this, but that would be awesome. I wonder how their working out a longer bike course with the city, if this is actually to happen?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook

Re: 2023 PTO Race Schedule [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]

I mean can the PTO not just use the SLT "parking lot" and do 250 laps to get to what is it ~40mi bike leg.....

(I kid I kid)

But no for real- is this now fighthing words PTO vs SLT with PTO coming in hot for Malibu race location after the whole Malibu dropping SLT fiasco.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jan 20, 24 11:53

To be clear, the PTO wrote a letter in support of the Zuma Foundation bid during the RFP, committing $300K to the event if Malibu awarded the permit to Zuma Foundation / Epstein.

https://triathlonmagazine.ca/news/pto-backs-michael-epsteins-zuma-foundation-bid-for-malibu-triathlon

It's not just fighting words.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter

Post deleted by B_Doughtie [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jan 20, 24 12:17

#PTOvsSLT

#mustpicksides

#goSLT

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jan 20, 24 12:21

Re: 2023 PTO Race Schedule [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]

rrheisler wrote:
No, it looks like they have a Sunday Olympic distance race again.

Saturday is expo / kids race. (So *maybe* the pro race, too?)

https://zumabeachtriathlon.org/

Wasn't that a huge part of the whole permit fiasco is they were not going to allow anyone a certain part of the road due to construction? Some bridge?

Re: 2023 PTO Race Schedule [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]

giorgitd wrote:
Malaga ESP is the 2024 WT triathlon Worlds (in mid-October). It's a little confusing as PTO raced in Ibiza in 2023 aligned with the multisport Worlds there. But maybe the WT/PTO agreement targets Malaga and not Townsville? The timing is pretty complex. Not too terrible for the Women racing Worlds in Nice in mid-Sep, but not great for the men racing Worlds in Kona about 10-14 days after Malaga.
Ibiza 100km is late September (7 days after Nice!) and think we've all but established that the October 100km race is outside Vegas (upthread @PBT_2009).
Malaga hosts the final of the WT Championship Series (drafting, standard distance) on the same weekend.
This link (scroll down) gives the current (mid Nov) confirmed calendar for the 2024 World Triathlon race season:
https://wtcs.triathlon.org/...to_the_2024_calendar
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Jan 20, 24 13:51

Wasn't that a huge part of the whole permit fiasco is they were not going to allow anyone a certain part of the road due to construction? Some bridge? //

That was the made up excuse to try and get rid of SL for this year, it didnt work. They will have their old courses no doubt, or better ones if they can get out and do the 100k. Kind of interesting that PTO was involved much sooner than we had known, guess they waited to make sure the new Zuma got the permits before announcing. And really, it is not in Malibu anyway, Zuma is the course and beach the entire thing is held at..SL holding the name is really pointless and worthless

Re: 2023 PTO Race Schedule [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]

But now I'm even more confused. Is this going to be 3 PTO US races apparently?

Miami in March

Malibu in Oct

Vegas in xxxx (Nov)

Or is this long play to get them there next year?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II

B_Doughtie wrote:
On the money, Brooks. Way behind the planning curve for 2024. With an eye on LA28 prequelae?
On the athlete front, it sounds as if Kanute (ranked #22 at year end but in the top ten earlier in the year) has been offered/accepted a PTO ticket. Looks like a strong USA men's line up: West, Long, Kanute, RvB.
https://www.tri247.com/...na-ben-kanute-all-in
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Jan 20, 24 14:35

Re: 2023 PTO Race Schedule [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]

I think I read they used rankings earlier in the year for their picks, not year end. A bit surprised that RVB would not be in for the Ironman series, seems like that would suit him better and the guys that will be competing there are guys he can regularly beat too. But guess a hard choice if you got one of the $100k offers, bird in the hand. And he can still do a couple of the big ones I suppose..

So is the Ironman series going to be a dual meet between Lionel and Joe??? Of course I'm leaving out many others, but shaping up nicely for these two if they can get their swim shit together....

Goff has been talking about Norwegian method for approx 20 years or more maybe 30 years

Just to make things more confusing he Worked at Olav university hospital

He also talked about lactate being the limiting factor in repeats

Last edited by: MrTri123: Jan 20, 24 15:37

B_Doughtie wrote:
But now I'm even more confused. Is this going to be 3 PTO US races apparently?

Miami in March

Malibu in Oct

Vegas in xxxx (Nov)

Remember the podcasters have said they would do 8 this year. Not surprised that most of them are in the US. The Vegas one is just very odd.

Re: 2023 PTO Race Schedule [monty] [ In reply to ]

The RvB part surprises me too. I thought for sure he'd be doing full distance racing and taking a good crack at Kona. No surprise though, money talks.

The Las Vegas date was Oct 19-20 on that leaked page.

Prev Next