Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2019 Stage 6 TDF 24% grade - Geraint Thomas seated on the climb; how is this possible?
Quote | Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-11vujf99w
(Geraint pulls off his magic around 9:34.)

Granted this is from last year but it still amazes me how Geraint remains seated during the steepest part of the climb (reportedly 24%).
I find this mind blowing; riding a similar pitch with 39x28 gearing there is no way I could stay seated.
Maybe he was running a much lower gear?
Still, it's remarkable.
And also one of the most amazing and entertaining TDF stages ever!
And look how Alaphilippe collapses at the end.

Just curious what thoughts are; I think this is incredibly impressive, if not unimaginable.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Stage 6 TDF 24% grade - Geraint Thomas seated on the climb; how is this possible? [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I often ride in the saddle on 12% gradients and I'm sure my power to weight ratio on those climbs is only about half his. So it's not especially crazy he can stay in the saddle on double the gradient. Given he likes to stay seated on climbs I wouldn't be surprised if he availed of a much smaller option than your 39-28 (which is not small at all by modern standards). There's no reason he couldn't be using 36x28, 34x28, 36x32 or even something like 34x32 if the stage warranted it.
36x32 for example would give him 24% higher cadence for the same forward motion compared with your setup (31% with 34x32). That's a big difference and I presume you're nowhere near his level in terms of power to weight?!?!
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Stage 6 TDF 24% grade - Geraint Thomas seated on the climb; how is this possible? [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A 600-800 1min power sure helps.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Without consideration to the specific gearing involved, it's fairly meaningless. Allow me to concoct whatever drivetrain I choose, and I'd have no trouble riding up that hill seated. Or just about any paved road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its simple and shouldn't come as a surprise, you're rubbish and he is a Grand Tour winner. End of!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
twain wrote:

Granted this is from last year but it still amazes me how Geraint remains seated during the steepest part of the climb (reportedly 24%).
I find this mind blowing; riding a similar pitch with 39x28 gearing there is no way I could stay seated.
Still, it's remarkable.

Just curious what thoughts are; I think this is incredibly impressive, if not unimaginable.

Well he was riding a 39x32, he's a pursuit gold medalist, Grand Tour winner capable of winning a classic, 6.*+ w/kg FTP, etc.

So whilst impressive, not surprising given all of that.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Stage 6 TDF 24% grade - Geraint Thomas seated on the climb; how is this possible? [justinhorne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justinhorne wrote:

:) yes it does.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
twain wrote:

Drugs
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Stage 6 TDF 24% grade - Geraint Thomas seated on the climb; how is this possible? [justinhorne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justinhorne wrote:

QFT.

There were "reports" that at times climbing in the tour back in the day, that the unspeakable one would sometimes attack for bits at around 1000w.

So, a minute at 6-800w, yeah I could see it.

Those dudes are just unreal. Climb at/over threshold for periods then toss in some attacks like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find it easier to do over 20% seated. If I stand I have to get awkwardly way forward over the bars to avoid tipping over backwards. Seated, you can keep your center of gravity low, and also pedal more smoothly so you're not doing wheelies on every pedal stroke.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Stage 6 TDF 24% grade - Geraint Thomas seated on the climb; how is this possible? [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Powered by Welsh Cakes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where did these numbers come from. Some of the best Kilo riders in the world are well below 800w. I don't think in the middle of the Tour, at the end of a hard stage and up a long steep climb that any rider could be near those numbers.

justinhorne wrote:

BoulderCyclingCoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Stage 6 TDF 24% grade - Geraint Thomas seated on the climb; how is this possible? [rockdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rockdude wrote:
Where did these numbers come from. Some of the best Kilo riders in the world are well below 800w. I don't think in the middle of the Tour, at the end of a hard stage and up a long steep climb that any rider could be near those numbers.

justinhorne wrote:

Kilo riders also have to do a standing start at well well over 1000w. Doing 1500w+ for the first 15 seconds of a kilo kind of kills being able to do 800 for a full kilo race. But, fixed gearing starts necessitates that kind of power spend early in a kilo to get up to speed. You don't have the same time/distance a pursuit rider has to make up for the standing start.

I'm a nobody and I've got KOM's around town at damn close to 700w for around 45 seconds. That's nothing. These guys have hours of hard work in the legs before doing much more! I'm usually fresh out of the house and warmed up.

How about the power readouts here: Redbull hill climb power record in San Fran

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRcVtnPtjo8
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Stage 6 TDF 24% grade - Geraint Thomas seated on the climb; how is this possible? [Pathfinder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pathfinder wrote:
Powered by Welsh Cakes.

Not a rumor!

(A while back my daughter learned how to make Welsh cakes - from a recipe on a dish towel we found on a trip home! - and they are easily among the best I've ever tasted. When she comes home from college I get her to bake a big batch for me)
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Stage 6 TDF 24% grade - Geraint Thomas seated on the climb; how is this possible? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
I find it easier to do over 20% seated. If I stand I have to get awkwardly way forward over the bars to avoid tipping over backwards. Seated, you can keep your center of gravity low, and also pedal more smoothly so you're not doing wheelies on every pedal stroke.

I agree that in most steeps, esp on a mountain bike, it's better to be seated. But 24% is a lot harder than 20%. And that most others were out of the saddle makes his effort all the more amazing IMO
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Stage 6 TDF 24% grade - Geraint Thomas seated on the climb; how is this possible? [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Well he was riding a 39x32.

How do you know this? If so, that does help explain things
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
twain wrote:

I agree that in most steeps, esp on a mountain bike, it's better to be seated. But 24% is a lot harder than 20%. And that most others were out of the saddle makes his effort all the more amazing IMO

I'm not particularly impressed. Any more than I'm already impressed by World Tour-grade power.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
twain wrote:
turdburgler wrote:
Well he was riding a 39x32.

How do you know this? If so, that does help explain things
Journalists have reviewed his bike...

In all seriousness, Froome usually has 38x30 and Pogacar was using 36x30 at the Vuelta
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Stage 6 TDF 24% grade - Geraint Thomas seated on the climb; how is this possible? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
rockdude wrote:

justinhorne wrote:

Kilo riders also have to do a standing start at well well over 1000w. Doing 1500w+ for the first 15 seconds of a kilo kind of kills being able to do 800 for a full kilo race. But, fixed gearing starts necessitates that kind of power spend early in a kilo to get up to speed. You don't have the same time/distance a pursuit rider has to make up for the standing start.

I'm a nobody and I've got KOM's around town at damn close to 700w for around 45 seconds. That's nothing. These guys have hours of hard work in the legs before doing much more! I'm usually fresh out of the house and warmed up.

How about the power readouts here: Redbull hill climb power record in San Fran

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRcVtnPtjo8

looks fun!

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Using an online calculator, assuming 157 pound rider, 18 pounds of bike and gear, 24% grade and 7.4 mph (39/30 gearing at 72 rpms) it requires about 650 watts.

650 watts at 157 pounds (71.2 kg) is 9.13 w/kg. Looking at the power profile chart for 1 minute max power, that's firmly in the Cat 2 range. So yeah...it's still super impressive that he'd be able to stay seated at such a steep incline, especially at the end of a very decisive stage, in the middle of a grand tour...but I don't think it's that crazy when you consider Thomas probably has one of the best seated 1-2 minute w/kg in the entire peloton given his track background and reforming his body/weight to compete in grand tours.
Last edited by: Jason N: Jan 28, 20 17:43
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Stage 6 TDF 24% grade - Geraint Thomas seated on the climb; how is this possible? [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In isolation it's not that crazy, but in the context of that stage, in the middle of a Grand Tour... well no wonder the acceleration did what it did to the lead group.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Stage 6 TDF 24% grade - Geraint Thomas seated on the climb; how is this possible? [42x16ss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m kind of surprised nobody has talked about the handling implications of going up a grade that steep while seated. Basically a wheelie.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
twain wrote:

Still, it's remarkable.

Savageman - the steepest bit on the Westernport Wall is over 25%, probably closer to 30%. It is not very long but is a very rough surface. I wouldn't call it pavement anymore. I think some of the stronger (and more skilled) people ride up seated.

run well, run happy
george
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From my cynic point of view, all top athletes in all sports take some kind of performance enhancing drug. They might claim that they are constantly tested but we all know that it's mouse - cat game and science is on the side of performance evolution at all cost and there might many ways to escape the actual tests. I don't morally call them cheaters, is just how the game is. After all no human is capable of riding 21 days in a roll performing so well...
Quote Reply
Re: 2019 Stage 6 TDF 24% grade - Geraint Thomas seated on the climb; how is this possible? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I’m kind of surprised nobody has talked about the handling implications of going up a grade that steep while seated. Basically a wheelie.

The relative "slam" most of those pros ride at would have them a lot more forward climbing seated than the average B-group wannabe race bike would be.

I'd guess their "bar tops" seated climb would be what a lot of clubbies ride at as their "down" position.
Quote Reply

Prev Next