Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
11T cassette cog that's *not* an end cog
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know whether a loose 11T cog exists that is not an end cog, i.e. an 11T cog you can slide further in on the freehub? It needs to fit a Shimano freehub and I assume all Shimano cassettes has the 11T as an end cog. But maybe some of the SRAM cassettes with a 10T as the smallest has a loose 11T cog? From looking around it unfortunately seems like all their MTB cassettes has a 12T cog as the second-smallest cog - and their new AXS 12-speed cassettes seem to be monocoque designs without loose cogs (except the 10T).

I'd like for flatter TT's to skip some of the larger cogs and move the cogs I keep further inboard for better chain line while I'm at it (and yes, I need to keep the 11T cog).
Quote Reply
Re: 11T cassette cog that's *not* an end cog [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope. A 10 won’t fit on a standard Shimano cassette body. Technically an 11 doesn’t even fit over the splines, that’s why the cassette body is machined at the end.

Why is a larger chainring not a option???

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: 11T cassette cog that's *not* an end cog [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Why is a larger chainring not a option???

+1. Seems like a much better option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bigger chain ring is the other option - would just be easier if a loose 11T cog existed for this. Plus, I really like my custom light and aero 58T chain ring ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MTM wrote:
Bigger chain ring is the other option - would just be easier if a loose 11T cog existed for this. Plus, I really like my custom light and aero 58T chain ring ;)

Can’t wait for the comments on why people think you don’t need a 58 chainring haha.
Quote Reply
Re: 11T cassette cog that's *not* an end cog [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
MTM wrote:

Can’t wait for the comments on why people think you don’t need a 58 chainring haha.

Not everyone bothers to know who the OP is. To me, his question is perfectly logical given who it is.

Looks like Origin8 makes single speed splined cogs (convert your multi gear road bike to single speed) from 12t and up. So, in theory they have something that should help a little bit.

Not seeing an 11 though. Perhaps contact them since they make a 12 and ask them nice if they'd make an 11. Also, if places like Garbaruk and Fiberlyte and D2Z make custom chainrings, maybe they could make a custom cog?
Quote Reply
Re: 11T cassette cog that's *not* an end cog [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The diameter on an 11 is too small to clear the splines.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
The diameter on an 11 is too small to clear the splines.

I guess that explains the lack of loose 11T cogs...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:
MTM wrote:

Not everyone bothers to know who the OP is. To me, his question is perfectly logical given who it is.

Looks like Origin8 makes single speed splined cogs (convert your multi gear road bike to single speed) from 12t and up. So, in theory they have something that should help a little bit.

Not seeing an 11 though. Perhaps contact them since they make a 12 and ask them nice if they'd make an 11. Also, if places like Garbaruk and Fiberlyte and D2Z make custom chainrings, maybe they could make a custom cog?

Didn't know that Origin8 made that, interesting. Looks like a 11T is seemingly too small, as Jason writes above, though. I guess single speed cogs would only be good as the smallest cog for shifting reasons - else it would be easier to buy a cog from Origin8 than mixing and matching cassettes when you just need a cog or two from one cassette to Frankenstein onto another.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:
MTM wrote:

That was my point.
Quote Reply
Re: 11T cassette cog that's *not* an end cog [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
MTM wrote:

There was the poster a couple months ago looking for 60+ tooth rings because the only thing stopping people from averaging 40 mph in a TT was their lack of imagination when it came to chainring size. I wish I could remember who it was.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I case you haven't ruled this out already:

Can you fit a XD body on your disc wheel? One could always 'remove' cogs from one of the new 12sp SRAM RED/Force cassette (i.e. grind down the teeth on the 10T and the big cog that you don't need). They're available in 10-26t, 10-28t, 10-33t; which would make them 11-23, 11-24 and 11-28 if you're willing to make them 10-speed. Or just grind down the teeth on the biggest sprocket and refrain from using the 10T. The modified biggest sprocket will act as a 'chain guide cog' as found on SRAM's DH cassette (https://www.sram.com/...-mini-block-cassette). If done nicely, I bet even the UCI would be fine with that solution.
Quote Reply
Re: 11T cassette cog that's *not* an end cog [CN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just run two 12 cogs and live with the chainline on the 11
Quote Reply
Re: 11T cassette cog that's *not* an end cog [CN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CN wrote:
I case you haven't ruled this out already:

Can you fit a XD body on your disc wheel? One could always 'remove' cogs from one of the new 12sp SRAM RED/Force cassette (i.e. grind down the teeth on the 10T and the big cog that you don't need). They're available in 10-26t, 10-28t, 10-33t; which would make them 11-23, 11-24 and 11-28 if you're willing to make them 10-speed. Or just grind down the teeth on the biggest sprocket and refrain from using the 10T. The modified biggest sprocket will act as a 'chain guide cog' as found on SRAM's DH cassette (https://www.sram.com/...-mini-block-cassette). If done nicely, I bet even the UCI would be fine with that solution.

I'm thinking of removing 4 or so cogs completely to get rid of some frontal area. I thinking grinding those completely away would be a little more work than I'd like (plus I'm running Di2, so no 12-speed for me yet).
Quote Reply
Re: 11T cassette cog that's *not* an end cog [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
Just run two 12 cogs and live with the chainline on the 11

Thanks for the suggestion, though I might find that pretty annoying during the race on faster stretches. Probably better to break out my 62T then so I don't need the 11T. Need to dive into the data and check how much chain line misalignment is worth in watts before I decide on what to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not just run fixed gear for flat TT’s? You’re strong enough....

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Why not just run fixed gear for flat TT’s? You’re strong enough....

Wind and corners. From my testing I'm not seeing enough of an aero difference between track and TT bike to warrant not being in the optimal gear. I don't believe you're allowed using fixed gear in UCI races anyway ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was thinking more of chainline and drivetrain friction. But yeah, if the UCI, in their infinite and benevolent wisdom, deems fixies to be illegal then I suppose you must abide.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to break out the dremel, you can make an 11 fit by taking off the locking lip and finishing the splines all the way through.
The only reason it won't fully go on is that it was required to have the lip to allow an interface with the lock ring.
So if you think you may use the configuration again, it would be worth the exercise.
Strength loss shouldn't be a problem as it will be fully supported by the other 11 cog.
Quote Reply
Re: 11T cassette cog that's *not* an end cog [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking of just adding spacers to the outside between the 11T and the lock ring - do you think that would not hold up since the spacers won't have a lock ring interface?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think that will work. The spacers will be too thick.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have some thinner cassette shims to dial in the spacing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, I mean the diameter. I think they'll interfere with the chain.

You wont' know unless you try, but I'm doubtful.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe contact Fibre-Lyte or similar and have one made out of carbon.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aren’t you an engineer....to be honest, with all of the things you’re looking at you will *likely* have to cad it out and got to a machine shop.

Having said that I think the option your looking at has marketability to some. The biggest issue with 1x road is lack of variability for unique situations.

Maurice
Quote Reply

Prev Next