Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
coredump wrote:
trail wrote:
MdVP awfully quiet so far. Wonder if he's putting all his chips in for tomorrow.

He's stated that he thinks he could have a chance to pull on Yellow after the cobble stage. Wout burned a lot of matches today, while MVdP sat in a bit, so I think chances are likely he makes a go of it tomorrow on the cobbles. Of course, cobbles requires a lot of luck to not have a mechanical at the wrong time, but should be fun to watch!

I was surprised how deep WVA went today too. But, after reading other comments I'm wondering if he did it to help ease the effort he has to do tomorrow and still retain the overall lead. I was really impressed with today's stage and it made me want to go ride, as I felt invincible...but, on vacation and no bike. LOL.

I'm really enjoying this tour so far, I do wish Cavendish was there.

Every time I see WvA putting in a big effort, all I can think is that regardless of what the team directors say, he's given up on the team winning the GC. He's strong, but... he's not that strong. Every Kj he expends on his own ambitions is a Kj he can't expend later.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Mudge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mudge wrote:

Every time I see WvA putting in a big effort, all I can think is that regardless of what the team directors say, he's given up on the team winning the GC. He's strong, but... he's not that strong. Every Kj he expends on his own ambitions is a Kj he can't expend later.

He had a moment there, where he had Vingegaard ~12 seconds ahead of Pogacar. Conceivably, if he sits up and waits a couple of seconds for Yates and Vingegaard, those 3 could have held off the peloton with Ineos and JV clogging the front of the field. You could tell WvA was thinking about it. But I think rightly decided against it, as Yates and Vingegaard looked pretty blown.
Last edited by: trail: Jul 5, 22 13:56
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Mudge wrote:

He had a moment there, where he had Vingegaard ~12 seconds ahead of Pogacar. Conceivably, if he sits up and waits a couple of seconds for Yates and Vingegaard, those 3 could have held off the peloton with Ineos and JV clogging the front of the field. You could tell WvA was thinking about it. But I think rightly decided against it, as Yates and Vingegaard looked pretty blown.

100%. made a split second decision when going at all out effort. could have given Vengegaard a gap on Pogacar but likely the group does pull them back. and not sure 15" on him is worth the risk. i think right call by WVA. had Primoz not messed up around those last few corners and been with TJV at front, then i think it's worth the risk.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Mudge wrote:

Naw, he is that strong.

I don't think sitting up and keeping Vingegaard with him would have worked. Maybe get a few seconds but those two are not adding much to the breakaway speed or muscle and it would have encouraged more of a chase.

The teams and riders target these efforts and stages way in advance. JV has 3 guys within a minute in GC two of whom could podium. WvA will be laying down killer pulls in the mountains for these guys. He might win tomorrow, keep yellow and maybe give it to another JV killer bee in a few days.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Philipsen thought he had won the stage.

How could he think that? Did he lose track of the bright yellow shirt on the climb? Did he not see the giant canary in front of him at the finish?

What a dipshit

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
heyMartin wrote:
RB gives you Wings
Well played, sir :)

Round of golf clap

Wout literally said "This jersey gives you wings" in his post-race

Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I can understand why he thought he'd won. The chasing group was 100+ strong, and he was a few rows back during the chase and when he started the sprint. In the replays of the sprint for second, you could see he was coming up quite fast alongside the left hand barriers from the P8 or so. In the heat of the moment and the adrenaline of the chase and tunnel vision of a sprint, he could easily have missed Wout. After his record of near misses in 2021 and Stages 2 and 3 this year, his elation at the finish line after "winning" is pretty understandable.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flynnzu wrote:
Wout is allegedly on team duty tomorrow so it's a good day to try if that is the case. Hard part will be JV bossing it on the front with the yellow - could be hard to get away or they may let the "right" break go away immediately. All the GC teams could uniformly decide to let an early break go and just stay together and safe - this seems unlikely though.

I think that makes sense. I thought tomorrow was more likely to be the Fubar stage, as opposed to the Bridge day in Denmark. Last time through Porte abandoned and Froome was off the bike and down twice (IIRC). That wasn't the moment that separated him and GT, but set the stage.

Edit of prior statement: I said Movistar shit the bed. Too harsh. But I remember it sort of being the beginning of team politics as Landa went down, and then having three leaders spread all apart causing a who helps who and what now? Different than EF who went all in to bring Rigo back from a crash.
Last edited by: WannaB: Jul 5, 22 19:16
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:
flynnzu wrote:
Wout is allegedly on team duty tomorrow so it's a good day to try if that is the case. Hard part will be JV bossing it on the front with the yellow - could be hard to get away or they may let the "right" break go away immediately. All the GC teams could uniformly decide to let an early break go and just stay together and safe - this seems unlikely though.

I think that makes sense. I thought tomorrow was more likely to be the Fubar stage, as opposed to the Bridge day in Denmark. Last time through Porte abandoned and Froome was off the bike and down twice (IIRC). That wasn't the moment that separated him and GT, but set the stage.

Edit of prior statement: I said Movistar shit the bed. Too harsh. But I remember it sort of being the beginning of team politics as Landa went down, and then having three leaders spread all apart causing a who helps who and what now? Different than EF who went all in to bring Rigo back from a crash.

I’d be very surprised if Wout didn’t go up the road with a legit split or break tomorrow unless Benoot beats him to it which may be the plan. I hope Ineos unleashes DvBaller too but maybe Pidcocky.. GC guys will crash and flat but they’ll have others to shepherd them. GC time hasn’t really started and stage wins are dear. Cobble guys gotta cobble.

Pogacar could gain big tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was a serious flex from Wout. And only 12k full gas, which shouldn’t take that much out of him, especially after rest day. I bet tomorrow it’s a cobbles brawl with him, MvdP and Sagan going full Tyson.

For all the talk of Cav beating Merckx’s record it increasingly looks like he’ll just keep the seat warm for WvA. Today was #7, without being untethered from GC duty. Could see him run that up quickly.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [crocked_knee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
crocked_knee wrote:
I think I can understand why he thought he'd won. The chasing group was 100+ strong, and he was a few rows back during the chase and when he started the sprint. In the replays of the sprint for second, you could see he was coming up quite fast alongside the left hand barriers from the P8 or so. In the heat of the moment and the adrenaline of the chase and tunnel vision of a sprint, he could easily have missed Wout.

Good thinking - at that point, you're probably NOT looking up the road, or even looking up at all, just pushing hard and hoping peripheral vision is good enough to not get you wrecked

Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's Taco Wednesday.

I don't see them being given much room. Powless there too, with Magnus Cort Leslie Nielson who has a pain wish apparently. Nothing to be gained today unless this sticks. He's barely hanging on it looks like.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, hard to see the break sticking this one.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
crocked_knee wrote:
I think I can understand why he thought he'd won. The chasing group was 100+ strong, and he was a few rows back during the chase and when he started the sprint. In the replays of the sprint for second, you could see he was coming up quite fast alongside the left hand barriers from the P8 or so. In the heat of the moment and the adrenaline of the chase and tunnel vision of a sprint, he could easily have missed Wout.

Good thinking - at that point, you're probably NOT looking up the road, or even looking up at all, just pushing hard and hoping peripheral vision is good enough to not get you wrecked

There's a Velonews article with an interview with Jasper. He said his radio was spotty and didn't realize Wout was ahead until about five seconds after he passed the line (and he heard people laughing behind him). He also said he thought it was impossible for someone to get a gap on that short climb and hold it until the finish (meaning someone out front was the last thing he was expecting). He was a good sport about it in the article.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was curious if Turgis was feeling the effects of his crash yesterday when he dropped off early or if it was to deliberately lose time and save his legs to get away today. We'll see I suppose, but thought perhaps he'd have some freedom to go for it and as a plan B could serve as a satellite rider should Sagan be on a good one and bridge to him. So far he is just riding as a domestique but it's still 94k to go.

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flynnzu wrote:
I was curious if Turgis was feeling the effects of his crash yesterday when he dropped off early or if it was to deliberately lose time and save his legs to get away today. We'll see I suppose, but thought perhaps he'd have some freedom to go for it and as a plan B could serve as a satellite rider should Sagan be on a good one and bridge to him. So far he is just riding as a domestique but it's still 94k to go.

Sagan looks determined. He's been top ten wheels since the flag dropped.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wout sitting way back, wonder if he’s on GC shepherd duty today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Wout sitting way back, wonder if he’s on GC shepherd duty today?

Sagan went down as did Wout I think. Long way to go and I'd be surprised if the big guns didn't end up on the front.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bugger; close call at the front there...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sort of fun to have the polka dot jersey in the break on the cobbles stage.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WvA doesn't good good after his crash

That group of five probably will contend for stage win
Last edited by: echappist: Jul 6, 22 7:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MvdP sitting way back too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
could set up well for the Polka Dot jersey to cross the line first on the cobbled stage

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
MvdP sitting way back too.

Now dropped!
Quote Reply
Re: **Spoilers** 2022 Cycling Thread [mjdwyer23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, carnage.

And this is without the rain, too.