Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ralph's is over. How do I train now?
Quote | Reply
O.K, Ralph's 1/2 Ironman is behind me now. I plan on doing a few sprint and olympic races before doing the Muncie Endurathon on 7/16, a few more short races after that, then the Soma 1/2 Ironman in Tempe on 10/30.

Obviously I have built my long rides and run distance for Ralph's, but am unsure what to do next. Would I be better off doing shorter workouts until I need to start building again for Muncie? Or should I keep up the long stuff all season long since I have evenly spaced 1/2's scheduled? I worry that going long all summer will wear on me after a while. I really enjoy the shorter races and plan on doing 3-4 this summer. However I'm trying to prepare my body for a full Ironman in the future and feel I need to get a bit more proficient at the 1/2 distance first.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by: rider: Mar 23, 05 19:54
Quote Reply
Re: Ralph's is over. How do I train now? [rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It sounds like your volume has been fine apparently. I think you should break down the season based upon your more important races. I'd look at a 4-6 week build into each race. The 1/2 IM distance is short enough that the intensity level is closer to your olympic distance effort rather than what your IM effort would be. Given what you have written and not knowing all your specifics, I'd probably focus on keeping a longer long ride and run every three weeks maybe four(but not on the same weekend). I'd focus on increasing your short course speed, which should translate into higher avg velocities for the halfs. Build your season around those key races.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Ralph's is over. How do I train now? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Brian, that makes a lot of sense. I kind of figured trying to gol long all summer long would be a bit tough. Not to mention effect my short course performance.

Thanks again
Quote Reply