Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Radio DJs encourage motorists to hurt cyclists
Quote | Reply
The following article appeared in the AP news today about DJs in three large cities encouraging motorists to take actions that can harm cyclists, such as throwing bottles at them, opening car doors as they pass, and speeding past then slamming on brakes. All the DJs work for Clear Channel Communications. This was in response to one of the DJs apparently having to slow down as he passed a group of cyclists.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/...tations_bicyclists_2

(If the link does not appear paste the entire link into your browser.) If you can't get to the article please let me know and I will post it's entire content for the group.

Clear Channel Communications is one of the largest radio conglomerates in the country, operating over 1200 stations. Literally millions of listeners heard this encouragement, many of them as they were driving in their cars. Clear Channel also owns Clear Channel Entertainment, which organizes and puts on sporting events, concerts, shows, and other live entertainment.

All of us know the dangers of riding on the roads. Many of us, despite following traffic laws and being as careful as possible, have been harrassed and even injured in brushes with cars. Bad drivers are the reason we ride in groups, seek out country roads, and learn to watch our tongues and middle fingers when confronted with a jerk behind the wheel. Many of us have had dear friends injured or killed while riding their bikes.

The last thing we need is public personalities encouraging drivers to hurt us.

Clear Channel must understand that there are repurcussions to such irresponsible conduct. You can take their stations off your radios (their website has a station search by city) and do not patronize events put on by Clear Channel Entertainment. If you are a business owner or event promoter who advertises on the radio, you can leverage your advertising dollars against demands for more responsible DJs.

As cyclists, at the very least please take a moment to contact Clear Channel Communications and demand punishement for the DJs. Their contact info is:

Lisa Dollinger
Senior Vice President, Corporate Communication
200 East Basse Road
San Antonio, TX 78209
210-822-2828
lisacdollinger@clearchannel.com
www.clearchannel.com

If you are feeling particularly moved, contact the Federal Communications Commission and file a complaint there, too.

www.fcc.gov

Please do your part and add your voice to those already speaking out.

Happy (and safe!!!) riding!

Steve
Quote Reply
Old News [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is old news - but it gives us a chance to follow up. I remember at the time that some of the message board folks told us that a couple of sponsors pulled out of the North Carolina show and the dj's were supposedly suspended.

I am interested to know if the sponsors have come back to the show after pulling out for a couple of weeks just to make the cyclists shut up.
Quote Reply