Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Racing without timing chip
Quote | Reply
The last couple of races I've done have made a big deal about having your timing chip on the outside of your wetsuit to make sure that it's reading properly. Eh, it's a nuisance, but I can at least understand the request.

First race I did with that request, I forgot to take the timing chip off before I took my wetsuit off and had to put my wetsuit back on in order to get the timing chip off, before stripping the wetsuit again. Longest T1 of my life.

The race I did this weekend, I duly remembered to take the chip off before my wetsuit and then - see what's coming? - forgot to put it back on again. I left T1 chipless. So I had a registered swim time, but nothing else. Because I raced the aquabike, my race time should have stopped when I crossed into T2. Not realising that I had forgotten to put my chip back on, I racked my bike, changed my shoes, walked down the chute to get to the finish..... Crap, I have no chip to give back. I told the timer exactly what had happened, and went back to pick up my chip out of transition and turned it in.

This is the first time in 8 years of racing I've had any kind of a chip issue. The timer had me talk to a race official, which I did. I provided my overall and split times off of my Garmin. The time I ended up being assigned has absolutely no relevance to any of the splits I actually completed. Timing added ~13 minutes to my overall time and gave me the corresponding placing. The only thing I can think is that they added the length of time it took for me to walk down from T2, realise I'd not worn my chip, go back up to transition to get it, and then walk around trying to find the lady I'd already talked with to give it to.

My question is - what normally would happen in this circumstance?

I know that this is totally my bad for not putting my timing chip back on in T1, and I do appreciate that they did something to get me into the results at all. Churlishly, I feel like I'd almost rather be given a DQ or a DNF than given an arbitrary time which was almost 120% of my actual time, especially when I have the splits documented. Podium would not have been affected, but I would have placed ahead of 2 additional people in a division of 8, so a quarter of the field.

I'm just curious as to how this is handled at other races - say, someone loses their chip in the swim, or on the bike. Does that person get a time? Or a DQ? Or...?
Last edited by: UK2ME: Sep 16, 19 11:50
Quote Reply
Re: Racing without timing chip [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not answering your question, but you should not need to ever remove your chip. Just position or trim your wetsuit so that it stops at the chip. No more issues
Quote Reply
Re: Racing without timing chip [ADabs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ADabs wrote:
Not answering your question, but you should not need to ever remove your chip. Just position or trim your wetsuit so that it stops at the chip. No more issues

They specifically asked that chips should be on the outside of our wetsuits at both races. It was the first time I had heard the request too, but they were quite insistent about it.

If I trim to that level, I'm going to be cutting beyond the actual trimmable area of my wetsuit, and the same with my arms. 5'3" people problems.
Last edited by: UK2ME: Sep 16, 19 13:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a total noob, and moron, I didn't question why my packet for a TT I did didn't have a chip in it at pickup day of the race. I had assumed it was embedded in the number.

At the end I see people reaching down to turn things in. Crap.

They did manually record start and end times though. Win. Just no splits.

I really liked a later race I did, gravel, helmet sticker timing doo-dad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've probably left my chip at T1 atleast a third of the races I've done in the past 2 years.. taking it off and leaving it behind... My watch time is good enough for me.
Last edited by: spntrxi: Sep 16, 19 12:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never heard this request before nor have I ever had issues with my chip reading when I race with a wetsuit.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done lots of tris with timing chip covered by the leg of my wetsuit. I've yet to have a time not register.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing without timing chip [TrierinKC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, I've never had a problem with a chip registering either. But a volunteer actually chased me into the water at the first race to tell me that I needed to have my chip on the outside of my wetsuit, so they were serious about it. I wasn't going to argue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Either trim the wetsuit or find some way to put on ankle below the wetsuit. I do not know any racer that puts in on the outside of wetsuit and removes it in T1.
My guess is that they want the chip not under wetsuit. In my 38 years of racing, I have never heard of such a request.
Please do not take this as against you. Almost everyone I know trims the lower leg of wetsuit so that they can get wetsuit off quickly.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a race ask us to do the exact opposite: put the chip under our suits, so it was less likely to get knocked off during the swim.

As for as the race, you know what your real time was; just post that to Strava.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ll echo the statement of trim your suit or put the chip low. Mine always goes very low on my ankle haven’t had a problem losing it yet. My current wetsuit doesn’t quit go all the way to the bottom of my ankle. If it’s a problem because if height you could try rolling up your suit like a cuff. Or just ignore what they said and hope for the best in splits. As long as start and finish are good you’re good.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it all depends on the timing company.

A couple of weeks ago I completely forgot to pick up my chip. The flow in the registration area was different and I just walked straight by the board with all the chips. When the volunteer lady at the finish wanted to take off my chip we both looked at my ankle, confused that there was nothing there. However, the timing company in question (SportStats, the best in the business) keeps a written log of finish order with occasional timestamps (when they have the opportunity). So they knew where I finished, and gave me a provisional result based on that. I emailed them the next day with an analysis of my Garmin files, and within hours they had updated the results based on that, without even wanting to look at my files.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends, good timing companies will have manual back-up logging all of the results at the finish line. But if you can't satisfy to the officials that you completed the course, you may still be disqualified... I have never lost my timing chip in a race, ever, I've also never heard of having to wear it on the outside of the wetsuit... The only time I have had my finish not register is in a few running events, where the chips are built on the back of the bib. a couple of times the never properly activated my chip, so I get no result... but a few of those times my race was so brutal, I wasn't actually mad that it doesn't show on sportstats...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We use back up time machines at finishes... Aquabike and Finish line. Aquabike is at Bike In/T2 as you noted. Someone keys in your number to the back up time machine so in the very least you have a start/finish time for the event. It's not very fancy, just a little device sync'd with the timing boxes time wise and spits out a ticker tape with number and time. Chips get lost and sometimes do malfunction, so the data is useful every now and then.

I'd not worry about the chip being covered or not honestly, have it low on your ankle and secured well.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing without timing chip [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:
We use back up time machines at finishes... Aquabike and Finish line. Aquabike is at Bike In/T2 as you noted. Someone keys in your number to the back up time machine so in the very least you have a start/finish time for the event. It's not very fancy, just a little device sync'd with the timing boxes time wise and spits out a ticker tape with number and time. Chips get lost and sometimes do malfunction, so the data is useful every now and then.

I think they only had one at the finish line, not also at Bike In/T2 - which is why I think maybe all the walking around I did trying to get my chip back to the right person got added into my time. I think they manually logged the time I handed my chip in, even though I finished almost quarter of an hour before that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When races ask me to do this I basically ignore them and assume someone doesn't know what they are talking about. Never had an issue with timing.
Quote Reply