Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Racing with Clincher Zipp 606's
Quote | Reply
I have a set of clincher 404's from '03 and was thinking of getting a rear 808 for Placid. Here's the question:

How do those of you who race with a clincher 404 in the front and clincher 808 in the rear race with extra tubes in case of a flat? Do you carry one extra tube with extender for 808 and another shorter one for the 404 or do you simply take the extender off the respective tube and put it on a new one if you flat? What's the quickest method that you've come up with? Thanks in advance.

PS Hold off on the tubular vs clincher debate for now, please.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing with Clincher Zipp 606's [tripoet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There would be virtually no penalty for carrying a tube with either an 80mm valve stem or with a long enough extension for the 808. Sure a little bit extra would show on the 404, but it won't really hurt anything. What, maybe 0.01watts of extra drag?

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Racing with Clincher Zipp 606's [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 80mm stemmed tubes (which I already use on my 404's) won't work in an 808 (too short) and a 808 length extender in a 404 rattles like mad. It's not a drag issue--for me at least. Still scratching my head.
Last edited by: tripoet: Jul 8, 07 19:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you wrap the extender in usually one thin wrap of electrical tape at the point where it contacts the rim (coming out of the wheel), that will solve your rattling problem...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
try wrapping electrical tape around the extender just enough to keep it from rattling.

---
You'e opinion is only as good as your signature line
-Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Racing with Clincher Zipp 606's [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gotcha. Thanks guys.
Quote Reply