Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Racing IM with Advil
Quote | Reply
I have read that some of you racing snakes use Advil or other anti-inflammatories when racing Ironman. What is the theory behind this? Is'nt it bad for you?
Quote Reply
Re: Racing IM with Advil [ferrousman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
except the potential risk of water retention in the kidney, the increase risk of hyponatremia, and eventually of kidney failure, no there is no risk :-)

oh, yes, I forgot the increase risks of GI distress, ulcers, blood in stools...

don't do it...
Quote Reply
Re: Racing IM with Advil [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois knows what he is talking about. If you do it, you ARE taking a risk of kidney damage. And it's not like taking the risk you will be hit by lightning on the course. This is real. It can mean being on dialysis, or on the kidney transplant list. LOTS of people get away with it. That doesn't mean it is safe. Please, don't do it, if you care about your long term as well as short term health.

I found that the more I train, the less pains I have that make me want to take pain relievers. Train smart and train to your body's potential, but don't exceed it, and you won't have pain. Pain is the body's way of telling the brain that something is wrong.

The brain isn't always smart enough to listen. Don't have a dumb brain.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: Racing IM with Advil [ferrousman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice. I haven't touched them, except on the rare occasion where I've had a thumping headache. I just read that they are being used in IM by the top enders. Sounds very dangerous. Doesn't the body produce its own anti-inflammatory hormones when under prolonged stresses anyway?
Quote Reply