Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Racing - spare tubes & CO2?
Quote | Reply
For a full or half Ironman how many spare tubes and CO2 cartridges do you carry?
Quote Reply
Re: Racing - spare tubes & CO2? [tritexas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1 tube/ 2 co2's
Quote Reply
Re: Racing - spare tubes & CO2? [richie the bull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
richie the bull wrote:
1 tube/ 2 co2's

Same here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also consider a Co2 with sealant such as Hutchinson Fast'air. Has saved me a couple times with tubulars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tritexas wrote:
For a full or half Ironman how many spare tubes and CO2 cartridges do you carry?

I don't cary anything. A flat tire is the end of my day. A finish is not that important to me, I will just find another race to do!

Austin Hardy -

Quote Reply
Re: Racing - spare tubes & CO2? [Aust1227] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aust1227 wrote:
tritexas wrote:

I don't cary anything. A flat tire is the end of my day. A finish is not that important to me, I will just find another race to do!

Yes, I understand where you are comming from but if I pay $700 and/or drive 800 miles to get to a race I'd like to finish it if I can.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing - spare tubes & CO2? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
THIS.

An IM/HIM finish is usually the culmination of a lot of work and money. I'm not going to drop out because I don't feel like changing a flat tire.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing - spare tubes & CO2? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Aust1227 wrote:
tritexas wrote:

Yes, I understand where you are comming from but if I pay $700 and/or drive 800 miles to get to a race I'd like to finish it if I can.

Very true on full.. I was thinking more on the line of my halfs. BTW, do you already have a removable valve extender on the spare tire, or do you do you switch it over from the flat tube?

Austin Hardy -

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tone can easily get lost via text, so I'm not saying this to a be a jerk, but because I seriously think that makes no sense at all. First off, you could at least carry something like Espresso Cafe Latex (cartridge with sealant) or any of a range of other similar products (select depending on clinchers versus tubulars). If it works, takes a matter of 30 seconds and you are back rolling. I also carry (along with the sealant cartridge) a regular old cartridge so that if the sealant gets in but air leaks out, I can follow up with additional air. This all gets electrical tapped under my top-tube. Then, taped to the back of my seat-post is a normal flat changing "kit' of cartridge, tube, tire fork.

A full IM or even a 70.3 is a long long day. You don't have to be a mechanic to change a flat in under 4-5 minutes. If Craig Alexander can do it during the 70.3 World Championships and win, then clearly that time can be made up against the amateur field.

Brad Stulberg
Author, Peak Performance
http://www.BradStulberg.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an every day pack and a race pack. The race pack has my extender on my tube installed already.

I also carry a crack pipe on race day for the rear wheel. (Jet 90 with cover)

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to think like this. Until I actually got a flat and then it was way more disappointing to DNF than I thought it would be. Carry spare now.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing - spare tubes & CO2? [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
same here... the DNF bothered me way more than i thought it would so i started carrying a spare. then i flatted again my next race and couldn't get the tire off and it took my 20 mins to change which obviously ruined my time but was still way better than DNF. i'm doing my first IM in 10 weeks and going to carry the effetto mariposa espresso inflate and repair cartridge
Quote Reply
Re: Racing - spare tubes & CO2? [Bstulberg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

WHOA.. You just blew my mind and enhanced my life!!!

I didn't know that these products existed!

THANK YOU! (as you mentioned, tone can be lost in forums.. I am not being sarcastic, I really didn't know this stuff was out there)

Austin Hardy -

Quote Reply
Re: Racing - spare tubes & CO2? [Bstulberg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bstulberg wrote:
If Craig Alexander can do it during the 70.3 World Championships [..]

No.

http://www.ironman.com/...s.aspx#axzz2RZipomn8

Quote:
When the two-time Ironman world champion got a flat tire out on the bike course, the Shimano support crew quickly came out with a replacement front wheel. Turns out the wheel they gave to Alexander had been on Potts’ bike this morning, but they switched it out when they found a problem with the valve. After fixing the valve, the crew put the bike in the support van. After scrambling to get another wheel on Alexander’s bike, the crew had a laugh when they realized which one ended up on the eventual champion’s bike.

But yes, as amateurs, the ability to change a flat mid-ride is a very useful skill to have.

Flatting in a race - it's not if, but when ...

Roll the dice.

Last edited by: Jamaican: Apr 26, 13 6:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to help!

Brad Stulberg
Author, Peak Performance
Quote Reply
Re: Racing - spare tubes & CO2? [Jamaican] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's absurd. Just lost all respect for the guy (pink font)

Brad Stulberg
Author, Peak Performance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 tubes & 2 co2's.

VALÄ’RE | YouTube
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 tubes
2 co2
but I have them packed together (including tire lever) in a small ziploc that has the air sucked out...it fits in my jersey pocket...its very small and compact.

"Though she be but little, she is fierce" ~Shakespeare | Powered by HD Coaching | 2014 Wattie Ink Triathlon Team | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1 tube. 2 Co2's
and a PATCH KIT.

one of these little patch kits is the size of a postage stamp. just stick them on. they work!
http://www.amazon.com/...Patch/dp/B000WY730O/

It'll add another minute or two to your tire changing- but you'll be back on the road. Plus- it will cover your for multiple flats. If you get more than 2 flats- my guess is that it would be pretty easy to beg a CO2 off another rider. Just hold up an empty Co2 witha forlorn look on your face and a kind soul with toss you one.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing - spare tubes & CO2? [richie the bull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
richie the bull wrote:
1 tube/ 2 co2's

2 co2's/ 1 tube /condoms and Vaseline cause u never know...

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Last edited by: camaleon: Apr 26, 13 11:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In many of the races that I have done, that approach can get you a long walk in cycling shoes.
Quote Reply