Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Racer Feedback: St. George 70.3 Post-Race Food/Anyone get sick?
Quote | Reply
Did anyone get sick by chance after having the pulled pork and rice around noon to 1 PM?

Had it & went home, showered, came back for awards & shortly after, close to 5-6 PM, started feeling incredibly ill. Went home, felt like the Exorcist in bed with fever & barely slept having bathroom trips & exorcist like vomit the next 15 hours.

The pork & rice is all I had until late Sunday evening...found out rice commonly has a bacteria on it, or can grow on it fast. Bacillus cereus. It was pretty tasty but it sure messed me up...
Last edited by: Rocky M: May 10, 23 22:47
Quote Reply
Re: Racer Feedback: St. George 70.3 Post-Race Food/Anyone get sick? [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I finished about 12:15, no issues. As luck would have it...I ate the same place the night before too.

Another possibility is the reservoir and unluckily coming across some bacteria there. Did you hit the porta potty? Any hand contact that made contact with something you ingested from that maybe.
Quote Reply
Re: Racer Feedback: St. George 70.3 Post-Race Food/Anyone get sick? [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sucks, sorry you got sick.

Throwing my two cents in there, if I were to get sick like this right after a race I think the last thing that would cross my mind is the post race food.
The lake, porta potties, putting gel wrappers in my mouth, just generally racing ain't the most sanitary of things so I would probably jump somewhere else, but that is just me.
Hope you felt better quickly
Quote Reply
Re: Racer Feedback: St. George 70.3 Post-Race Food/Anyone get sick? [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's entirely possible I suppose. I did have a T2 stop for a pee. Just drank water & Maurten's gels on the run course. I'd think if it were the water from Sand Hollow, that it would have happened before about 10'ish or 11 hours as to when it did happen. After the race using the bathrooms there was a wash basin I could wash my hands in so it wasn't like I skipped that part.

If I had a little "drink" out of Sandy Hollow accidentally on the swim, how long does it take for that "effect" to hit the system? eColi is my thought on that if it was that. But should have happened earlier if so. All I had after was that rice/pork styrofoam lunch they handed out & bottled water. All good now though. Eating more than I should so making up for it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
It's entirely possible I suppose. I did have a T2 stop for a pee. Just drank water & Maurten's gels on the run course. I'd think if it were the water from Sand Hollow, that it would have happened before about 10'ish or 11 hours as to when it did happen. After the race using the bathrooms there was a wash basin I could wash my hands in so it wasn't like I skipped that part.

If I had a little "drink" out of Sandy Hollow accidentally on the swim, how long does it take for that "effect" to hit the system? eColi is my thought on that if it was that. But should have happened earlier if so. All I had after was that rice/pork styrofoam lunch they handed out & bottled water. All good now though. Eating more than I should so making up for it!

I finished a bit after 1pm and they had rice and chicken at that time, not rice and pork. They also had pizza but I skipped that. The rice and chicken were super good and I had no problems so I have a hard time thinking that it would be the rice but anything is possible. I would think that it's more likely a bug you caught much earlier (maybe even before the race) that just happened to fully incubate by the time you were done. 24-hour stomach viruses have been rampant this spring. I actually had a bout of that about a month ago.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bummer, that's a shitty way to end a race day. I had the post-race bbq pork and rice, probably around 1pm, without issues. They were putting out bbq chicken which I knew was tasty because I had coincidentally gotten that for dinner on Friday so I wanted to try the pork instead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ate about four different times in bits and pieces as I waited for people to finish. Fine.
Quote Reply