Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Race wheel Choice: Old and Deep or New and Wide
Quote | Reply
I'm keen to hear people's thoughts on race wheel choice.
  • My current Tri wheelset is an old Sram S80, which I use for everything. I love those wheels: bulletproof and surprisingly easy to handle in crosswinds. While 80mm deep, they are heavier than the Heds below and are quite narrow, with a 13.5mm inner width according to theproscloset.com.
  • My road wheelset is Hed Jet 6. While shallower at 60mm, they are wider (21mm inner) and lighter.
  • For races I run a Zipp 900 disc.
  • I normally run 23mm Continental GP TT tyres for races, although may stick with the 25mm GP5000 currently on the Hed.

My go-to has always been the Sram front, but I wonder if running the Hed would be faster. My next race is IM Cairns, so slightly undulating, where the lighter weight could be a benefit.

Happy to hear any opinions and recommendations.
Quote Reply
Re: Race wheel Choice: Old and Deep or New and Wide [Hughbg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hed setup tubeless will be faster. Unless the sram is tubeless too?
Quote Reply
Re: Race wheel Choice: Old and Deep or New and Wide [Cookiebuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All run tubes, Continental Supersonic. I won’t change to road tubeless before the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Race wheel Choice: Old and Deep or New and Wide [Hughbg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The HEDs are faster than the S80s due to their shaping (the S80s are an older hybrid toroidal design), so it's an easy call. With a 23mm tire, there is a fairly seamless transition from tire to wheel on the Jets, whereas the S80s are more of a "lollypop." The blunter design of the trailing edge of the Jets also reduces drag on the backside of the wheel and at yaw.

It might be a different story with 20mm Conti Supersonics on the S80s, but not with 23mm.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply