Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Race travel destinations decisions
Quote | Reply
With many races across the US and internationally, I am curious if there are others, like me, that choose not to race in some locations.
For instance, I chose not to do World’s 70.3 in Finland because of its proximity to Moscow. If there was not a war in Ukraine, I would have gone, but am just uneasy enough about safety that I decide I can go elsewhere.
Also there are US states that I just disagree enough with their political leaders, that I choose not to add to their economy.
Please hear me, I am not advocating that anyone else “boycott “ any place. I am just curious if I am alone in my thoughts.
Also, I do not want to bring politics into this discussion. I am just curious if others allow safety and politics enter into their travel plans.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Race travel destinations decisions [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You betcha! Not just for sport, either I've made decisions to decline professional invitations in locations that endorse ideas that I reject. I've emailed USAT, for example, that there are.some.US locations for, say, national championships, that I'd not participate in for these reasons. Now, there are others that would find the locations I reject to be ideal. Each to their own. But, yes, there are.places I won't visit and spend my money/contribute to their economy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only problem with "boycotting" races or tourist destinations due to local or national politics or some media generated negative perception,is that the people affected by those boycotts tend to be people who have no real say in what their government does.The local businesses end up losing out while those in power remain unaffected.
Quote Reply
Re: Race travel destinations decisions [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know and agree, but it is my own little protest. Yes, it does little if anything, but not much else I can do. Triathlon companies sell their race to cities based on bringing money to their economy. I know I won’t bring them to their knees.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in Sweden and Estonia a few months ago. Tallinn, Estonia is two hours drive from the Russian border and less than 800 miles from Ukraine. Geographically speaking the war was obviously closer than being in most places in the world but it wasn’t noticeable if that makes any sense. I gave it no more thought than I would traveling anywhere else.

If the Russians were amassed at the Estonian border I would have obviously not gone there but 800 miles away from a war zone might as well be 8,000 miles.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Apr 15, 23 16:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a European not going to Finland because of the Ukraine war and it bordering Russia is completely bizarre. Geographically close, but might as be another world apart. Maybe for those living in n America it's harder to grasp.

I kind of think it's a bit of a slippery slope. You could come up for reasons for "boycotting" most countries if you really want. Should I boycott the whole USA because of your governments actions?

Personally I wouldn't ever rule out a place because I disagree with the government or ideology. In fact I actually think a lot of people would benefit by travelling more. You would probably realise you have more in common with most people than you think, and perhaps get an understanding of why people think/behave the way they do.

For example ask anyone that's been to Iran and they will tell you how surprisingly liberal, friendly, and educated the majority of people are, and how much they hate their government. Of course you would never see that side from the media, you have to go there and actually experience it for yourself.
Quote Reply
Re: Race travel destinations decisions [James2020] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with most of what you say! After living in the USA all my life, with the recent politicians I would understand not traveling here 😜.
Yes, I agree traveling and meeting the people is very important. Thanks for your response!

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply