Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Race or fight
Quote | Reply
Here's the situation- the big race I had pegged for this year, Steelhead HIM (my second tri, first HIM), and my next opportunity to fight (Muay Thai), fall within 1 week of each other. There is really no way to do both. They require COMPLETELY different types of training and I don't think I want to do either event half-assed. I keep going back and forth.

FIGHT-I am turning 32 next week, and getting a little old for the ring. This may be one of my last chances to fight Say what you will about age not being that important, but in a sport where reflexes are everything -age does matter. Unfortunately, I am not that interested in fighting, right now. I just started doing endurance and find it much better suited to my natural abilities- not that these is a lot, but it is definitely the slowtwitch type! I just don't want to give up this chance to fight and regret it later.

RACE- I am motivated to train/race. It is all new to me and I am enjoying learning, except the bike. I enjoyed the marathon I did last month and really enjoyed my first tri last fall. Also, training for a HIM will take away less family time, which is very important to me. However, this seems like a sport that I can enjoy for many more years.

I've got to make up my mind and committ to something! Any words of wisdom?
Quote Reply
Re: Race or fight [TriKitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do the Tri. Sounds like that is what you are most interested in If its a mass swim start you'll get plenty of kicking and punching anyways :)

------------------------------------------------------------

"He broke into the long easy lope, and went on, hour after hour, never at loss for the tangled way, heading straight home through strange country with a certitude of direction that put man and his magnetic needle to shame."

-Call of the Wild
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
You just answered your own question. Race. Less painful.

-----------------------------------------------------
The true Master does not wish to lead,
Nor does he wish to follow.
He only wishes to place himself
Where he is needed most.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From what I hear, the swim is pretty close to fighting...

Perhaps you can do both at the same time?
Quote Reply
Re: Race or fight [Russell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys are very funny! Will throwing an elbow or knee get me disqualified? Is the key to do it at the beginning of the race when there is chaos, anyway?
Quote Reply
Do both . . . [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do Muay Thai and IM.
I do a lot of MMA actually, it's quite complimentary for IM.

I don't see why you think the training wont work together.

And, if I had to pick one, I'd fight.
There are always Triathlons somewhere.

----------------
Rich
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fight!!!

I seen a 70 year old triathlete but not 70 year old fighter!
Quote Reply
Re: Do both . . . [reicher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My trainer says no long, slow work when I am training to fight. Training long and slow makes you long and slow. We do a "long" run on Fridays, 6-8 miles, to pre-fatigue my legs prior to pad work. Other than that is is a lot of fasttwitch stuff. The one thing that I think helps both is the stair running at the local stadium. I've notice my running is stronger and faster after I am done, but the endurance is not where it needs to be.

BTW- I like your thinking, that is kinda what I'm leaning toward. I can always do tris, but I don't know if I can always fight. Any thoughts on how you do both would be appreciated. As I mentioned, I am new to endurance stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fight!

I've tried to combine sparring training and IM training and it doesn't work. There will always be another triathon, but like you said, you are getting towards the end of opportunities to fight.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
I find that my endurance in Muay Thai . . . [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
is far better than my classmates.
Many of them are in High School too, and I am 38 and I can do sets of 3's for round after round after round.

You're training for a half, right?
I run at least 10 miles every Sunday, and have for 3 years.
I do Muay Thai 4-8 hours a week.
I lift three days a week.
I run 4 days per week.
I ride my trainer at least 2 x week @ about 90 minutes.
I have been doing yoga about 3 hours a week too now.

It all fits in nicely for me.
Oh yeah, I eat A LOT! ;)

----------------
Rich
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
T-Kitty,

Do the tri and then just do a private wrasslin' match with me. You'd probably win for sure :)

Seriously, it seems like your fightin' days are over and you're not that much interested in it any more. It's a young kids sport so it's time to move on. You can't wear two hats so concentrate on one sport. If you lose why would you regret giving up this chance to fight? Even if you win where do you go from there?

On the other hand if this tournament is your swan song there will always be other triathlons.

It's your personal call and only you can decide what is really important to you. Just follow your heart.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just use Tibbs as your muay thai opponent, im sure that you can kick his ass and it will probably be over in a matter of minutes, then your rested for your HIM next week, heheheheeehheehehehehe.

I have horrible back problems but I have zero problems staying in an aero position for 180k. Why? Because I ride steep and because I train regularly in that position. Simple as that.....Gerard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fight, no doubt. Those Muay Thai kickboxers are badass. A college buddy of mine -- a little guy, maybe 145 -- got good at it, and regularly waxed guys 40-50 pounds heavier. Only more badass fighters I've seen are the Krav Maga guys ... those guys are serious hardcore.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are a fighter?

Nothing more motivating to a man than getting his ass kicked in a fight, preferably in front of a large crowd, too. His whole life changes. No matter how cool he thinks he is, no matter how much money he makes, no matter how smart he is, no matter what his lactate acid level, no matter what his IM swim time is, or 5k time, no matter what his body looks like, if he gets his ass kicked, he's just clump of dirt. He has been shamed and owned!

I'd stick with fightin. More character in it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two chicks fighting is always hot.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fight - there will always be another race.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rockem sockem then do the Lansing Legislator on the 14th

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Larouso's gonna fight!"

"...Get him a body bag!"
Quote Reply
Re: Race or fight [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Two chicks fighting is always hot.

In which event is there a greater chance of having a breast exposed?

Whichever one it is, do that one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kind of a dilemma.

Once upon a time a was a fair steeple chaser. However, I quit when I was 22 at the time I graduated from college. It was also at this time that I began to pursue multi sport. Multi sport events have been very rewarding for me as I've had the opportunity to meet many great people and race in many different places. I will always wonder, however, if I could have run faster than 8:50 and by how much. As I'm 41 now and don't have the legspeed that I had when I was young, I'll never know.

Fight the fight.

Rocketboy
Quote Reply
Re: Race or fight [SlayerHatebreed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it was best stated on Sienfeld.

"I don't know. You start fighting and soon maybe you start kissing."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
...and always double check your christmas cards before you send them.
Quote Reply
Re: Race or fight [SlayerHatebreed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wise words Nip.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watching Two chicks from Arkansas or East Texas fight, Tibbs, IS NOT HOT.
Quote Reply
Re: Race or fight [boothrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah but the girls around here or from down Austin way. Oh my oh my.

Quote Reply

Prev Next