Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Race cancelled, new replacement Ironman in 2.5 weeks -- how to manage?
Quote | Reply
Ironman Louisville is in 2.5 weeks. Now ordinarily I understand what happens in the 2.5 weeks before an Ironman. Clean up the last workouts, taper, all that good stuff.

But this is a slightly different case. Originally I was slated for Ironman Gurye last Sunday -- this was cancelled because of a typhoon. So I've re-set my sights on Louisville. But the issue is that I already went through my proper build -> taper, and I'm all tapered up now. If I was doing Chatt or Maryland this weekend, I'd have just gone with a slightly extended taper. But my feeling is that 1.5 + 2.5 = 4 weeks is far too long to just be tapering, and I'll be totally flat by that time.

So I'm wondering what the best way to handle this would be? Currently I'm thinking:
  1. Remainder of this week -- do a reasonable long run and ride to have a little extra last volume
  2. Next week -- focus on frequency and intensity over duration, lots of little runs, swims, and daily bike commutes
  3. Race week -- normal race week

Does anyone have any thoughts / advice on this? I thought about trying to follow one of those "multiple Ironmans close together" plans, but those assume I had the training stress from the first one, which in this case I don't have. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Race cancelled, new replacement Ironman in 2.5 weeks -- how to manage? [icecubes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went through this in 2015. IMMD was cancelled Tuesday or Wednesday, then that weekend they actually rescheduled for two weeks later. I kept to the taper schedule and added some volume (did a 4 hour bike and 2 hour real easy run on the original race day, then added time to the other sessions) and repeated that week twice. Must have worked ok, I did a 5:30 bike split and wasn't torn to shreds after the race. You'll do fine.
Quote Reply