Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Race Report: Mideast Regional Triathlon/Duathlon Championships, Indianapolis, Indiana 8/28.
Quote | Reply
Tuxedo Brothers Racing and Elite Endeavors hosted the 2005 USAT Mideast Regional Triathlon/Duathlon Championships on Sunday, August 28 at Eagle Creek Park, Indianapolis.

The event drew over 500 participants vying for the coveted club championship as well as individual regional championship staus. Going into the USAT Mideast Regionals no less than five clubs were tied for first place in the club points competition. As a result, turnout was strong and the racing was serious.

It was a pleasure to meet Chris Wiggins of A1 Cyclery during dinner at a Mexican restaurant the night before. Chris graciously offered the services of his fine shop, A1 Cyclery, for technical assistance and gave us detailed insights into the course. Chris was at the event on race day supporting a growing local Indianapolis multisport club.

An early morning fog burned off quickly after a brief weather hold. Conditions, once the fog lifted, were superb with light winds and comfortable temperatures climbing to the low 80's during the final run.

The bike course was worthy of a championship with undulating terrain and varied pavement surfaces. One section appeared to have been specifically paved for the race. Other sections featured pavement similar to the chip n' seal road surface in Ironman New Zealand. The corn fields of Indiana were at full height and provided excellent sheltered from the wind as well as a pastoral feel to the event.

Of particular interst on the bike was the technical, fast section leading into and out of Eagle Creek State Park. This section was strewn out like a snake coiled, ready to strike. It did strike for some athletes who found the fast, tight, winding curves too difficult to negotiate and wound up on the pavement. This section was through a beautiful forest on pristine pavement and featured numerous deer as quiet spectators.

The second run was a moderately rolling out and back inside park roads. Very beautiful and mostly shaded.

Tuxedo Brothers and Elite Endeavors did a great job hosting the event.

I travelled to the race with Officer Meggan Kantz of the Taylor Police Department who had an excellent race capturing 2nd in her age category in the Duathlon and my fiancee', Sarah, who is the new USAT Mideast Regional Age Group Duathlon Champion. Sarah mentioned that is a rather pretentious title for race that had, as she characterized, "A pretty weak field" in her age category. Nonetheless, she loved he race as did the rest of us.

I also did the Duathlon and really loved the bike course. The runs were tough for me as I haven't been doing much run training.

An early afternoon dinner at a local restaurant on the beautiful Eagle Creek Reservoir featured wharf-side dining at its best for the mideastern U.S. We ate fresh mahi-mahi steaks as we sat on the high terrace overlooking the lake and watched the sailboat races in front of the marina just below us. All in all, another great day to be in the sport.

Results are here: http://www.eliteendeavors.com/results/mideast_res.htm

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Last edited by: Tom Demerly: Aug 29, 05 8:01
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report: Mideast Regional Triathlon/Duathlon Championships, Indianapolis, Indiana 8/28. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow,

The winner was really cooking on the run. If the course was accurate that is darn fast. Interesting that they gave out eight penalties. That is more than they gave at nationals this year and it was a much larger field.

Chad
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report: Mideast Regional Triathlon/Duathlon Championships, Indianapolis, Indiana 8/28. [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The officiating was superb.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report: Mideast Regional Triathlon/Duathlon Championships, Indianapolis, Indiana 8/28. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I travelled to the race with Officer Meggan Kantz of the Taylor Police Department who had an excellent race capturing 2nd in her age category in the Duathlon and my fiancee', Sarah, who is the new USAT Mideast Regional Age Group Duathlon Champion. Sarah mentioned that is a rather pretentious title for race that had, as she characterized, "A pretty weak field" in her age category. Nonetheless, she loved he race as did the rest of us.
Your fiancee is 22?!? Man, I have underwear older than that. I would consider a field with one (1) finisher to be pretty weak. But it does sound like a great event, and fun for all.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report: Mideast Regional Triathlon/Duathlon Championships, Indianapolis, Indiana 8/28. [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, she's 22. Didn't we cover that in a thread with about 27,000 views and about 350 replies... There were two competitors in her age catgory but one DNF'd. She had a bit of a tough day with some lingering knee pain from a 1/2 IM distance duathlon she did two weeks ago. I raced for Team Toledo as an Independant Contractor so to speak to help them with their points total. Our team was:

Monica West, Lesley Kruzel, Bill (Robert) Bartholomew, Wayne Crowther, Nate Russell, Tom Demerly, Marc Ensign, Joe Cutcher, David Legg, Khalil and Lavinia Raffoul, Tom and Ginger Dankert, Jeff Armstrong, David Black, Georgi Popov, Matt West, Liz Young, Jeremy Miller, Dale Patterson, Jon Hoag, Jim Donaldson,

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report: Mideast Regional Triathlon/Duathlon Championships, Indianapolis, Indiana 8/28. [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Michael Smith (winner) is a very under rated athlete. Factor in he is 44. Amazing.
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report: Mideast Regional Triathlon/Duathlon Championships, Indianapolis, Indiana 8/28. [Dan Socie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you see his run split? Incredible.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's poor form for you both to win/place in your respective age group and then not stick around for the awards ceremony.

Mahi-mahi? Dude, we had ham sandwiches, potato chips and Tab!

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report: Mideast Regional Triathlon/Duathlon Championships, Indianapolis, Indiana 8/28. [Dan Socie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He has been consistently one of the top three Indiana (and midwest) triathletes for almost twenty years now. Along with Brian Boggs, they have dominated Indiana racing since the late 80s.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report: Mideast Regional Triathlon/Duathlon Championships, Indianapolis, Indiana 8/28. [Chunky Lover] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude- I haven't raced in a year and Sarah averaged over 9 minutes per mile on the second run and had to walk three times... Neither one of us thought we won anything. We were in the shower at the hotel.

Give a break man, we were just having fun. I am not a professional athlete. I'm a MOP'er doing it for fun.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report: Mideast Regional Triathlon/Duathlon Championships, Indianapolis, Indiana 8/28. [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know. Dude is a stud. Every year he comes up to Grand Rapids and usually place 1st or 2nd. He's famous for running 25-26 minutes on the 5 mile course. Usually takes someone like Luke Dragstra to beat him. Which happened 2 or 3 years ago.

I just don't think he gets enough pub and I wonder if it's because he's a midwest guy.

Dan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about the Treux boys both finishing in the top ten. They both race for the Purdue team and are a handful at Collegiate Nationals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,

Just curious are you on the Team Toledo club roster and a paid member of their club?
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report: Mideast Regional Triathlon/Duathlon Championships, Indianapolis, Indiana 8/28. [kestrelguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Team Toledo paid me $100,000 to do the race for them and offered me a free '06 Hummer H3 if I won my age category....

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In all seriousness answer the question. If you arent a normal club member you shouldnt be racing for them as part of the Team Championship.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,
It was a pleasure to finally meet you and Sarah. I hope her knee is better. Great job to you both!
I'm here whenever you need something.

Chris

"....No longer easy on the eyes but these wrinkles masterfully dusguise the youthful boy below."~Death Cab for Cutie

http://www.a1cyclery.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back in the good ole days when I was fit & reasonably fast, I would always start looking for him around mile 3-4 of the run. He couldn't swim to save his life, but he was putting up 32s in 10ks in Olympic tris. Now that he can swim + bike he is a machine.

He is good enough that he would still be challenging for top age-group spots in any part of the country if he didn't just race primarily in the midwest. Probably not for the overall, as the level of competition out here in CA is seriously strong + deep. Super nice guy as well, and he does it on top of family + sales job.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Re: Race Report: Mideast Regional Triathlon/Duathlon Championships, Indianapolis, Indiana 8/28. [kestrelguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. Tom, as MERCS club racer who drove his happy ass (actually someone else drove) 3 1/2 hours down to Indy to represent my club I think it's shitty that other teams are recruiting racers for this race. Even worse if you're taking extra points for placing it the Du.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's not only fast, he is an incredible person. I've know "Smitty" since '88 or '89. Michael would give you the shirt off his back. He's the best.

"....No longer easy on the eyes but these wrinkles masterfully dusguise the youthful boy below."~Death Cab for Cutie

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
1/2 IM distance duathlon she did two weeks ago

Tom,

You can say the words: "Lansing Legislator", nothing wrong with that.

Tough times don't last, tough people do ;-)
Francois.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why no Clydesdale division at this race? The USAT SE Regional had Clydesdale and Athena divisions.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Der_Kaiser [ In reply to ]
Re: Race Report: Mideast Regional Triathlon/Duathlon Championships, Indianapolis, Indiana 8/28. [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike,
Thanks for the well wishes. I purchased the store from the original owners 2 1/2 years ago. It's amazing to listen to his stories from the "old days". They moved Schwinns through this store like no one else. Stop by if you are ever in the old neighborhood.

Best Regards,

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great Race report... I agree 100%

I was in the 30-39 wave (or shall I say draft fest). Either way, the officials did a great job and warned us they'd be watching closely. Anyone who got the penalty probably deserved it. That bike course was tough (but worth it)… Really zaps the legs on the run.

In regards to Tom being part of team Toledo: Tom is around helping Jim and Joyce at ALL the Elite Endeavors races. He also helps Team Toledo racers with bike equipment, training advice, etc. So even though he might not be competing in some of the Mercs events for team Toledo, he's still there making sure the races/racers go off without a hitch. Tom is very much a part of Team Toledo... I live in Ann Arbor, but still compete for Team Toledo… is that ok? You can check, I signed the form and am on the roster… Let’s check everyone’s roster and see if there is any questionable activity going on. This is a club championship, not the Superbowl. Besides, some members might only make it to one race... Is there a rule stating you can't compete at the championship if you didn't race a regular season race... didn't think so...

It might come off that I’m a huge Tom Demerly supporter… The truth is I'm getting very tired of people judging others on this forum. Those of you getting on Tom's case about everything... Let it go of your jealousy... it's not worth it... Get your own life so we can tear it to shreds like you do to Tom!

The more I read this forum the more embarrassed I am to be associated with some of the elitist a$$holes who think their opinion truly matters. Get over yourselves…

Triathlon/Triathletes should be about fitness, fellowship, competition, and healthy lifestyles… Does anything else matter?

Tom... Congrats on the engagement and I’m extremely happy for you 2! Thanks for all you do for us! I hope you can see past the critics out there… Enjoy marriage… It’s the hardest job you’ll ever love (and completely worth it).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These are the facts:
  • Elite Endeavors owners, Jim and Joyce Donaldson, are/have been officers of the Toledo Triathlon Club. As such, they have commensurate authority to make limited administrative directives on behalf of the club in compliance with club by-laws and USAT regulations. These decisions may include, but are not limited to, decisions surrounding membership in the club.
  • Joyce Donaldson and Jim Donaldson have/are both USAT officers/officials.
  • In exchange for cash contributions to Elite Endeavors and service/merchandise contributions to the Toledo Triathlon Club, Jim and Joyce Donaldson, acting on behalf of the club as officers, extended an invitation to me as a paying sponsor to join the club after confirming that this was in compliance with club rules and acceptable to other club officers and USAT officials. This confirmation was performed prior to the invitation be tendered to me once again on August 28.
  • Bikesport, Inc. is a sponsor of Elite Endeavors events in the form or cash, merchandise and services.
  • Discussion of my inclusion and membership in Team Toledo was initiated as early as January '05 and was revisited during a conversation in the registration tent at the Sylvania Triathlon on August 14th with Joyce Donaldson 14 days prior to the USAT Mideast Regional Triathlon Championship in Indianapolis on August 28th in Eagle Creek State Park, Indiana.
  • During the conversation with Joyce Donaldson on the morning of August 14th at the Sylvania Triathlon I asked for, but was unable to secure, the opportunity to purchase with cash a Team Toldeo uniform, specifically a one piece suit in size medium. Joyce did not have the uniform with her at the Sylvania race. She does still have the uniform and is securing it specifically for my purchase as a team member.
  • Jim and Joyce did not know I was competing in the USAT Mideast Regional Triathlon Championship in Indianapolis on August 28th until they saw my registration information on Wednesday, August 24th.
  • I did not communicate with them between August 24th and August 28th with the exception of a cell phone conversation I had with Jim Donaldson on August 27th at 4:27 PM Indiana time during the trip to the race. The nature of this conversation was to obtain specific directions to the race venue and if Joyce Donaldson would still be at the event site to provide packet pick-up and further discuss my participation as a member of Team Toledo.
  • On the evening of Saturday, August 27th, at the registration area of the USAT Mideast Regional Triathlon Championship in Eagle Creek State Park, I had a conversation with Joyce Donaldson of the Toldeo Triathlon Club and Elite Endeavors. During this conversation we dicussed several topics to include, but not limited to, my recent engagement, the introduction of my fiance', the forecasted weather conditions for the race, traffic on the trip to the event, the location of our hotel and directions from the race site to the hotel, the conditions of the bike course entering and exiting the park, my wedding plans, the activities of Jim Donaldson at the Chicago Triathlon Expo where he was working as a compensated representative for Computrainer, my membership into Team Toledo Triathlon Club, any rule compliance issues that may surround my membership in the Team Toledo Triathlon Club specifcally relevant to the following day's competition.

My role as a competitor in the USAT Mideast Regional Triathlon Championship in Eagle Creek State Park on August 28th was reviewed for compliance with USAT officals who were officiating the event prior to me being granted this status. At which time these circumstances were determined to be in compliance with USAT rules governing such activities, I was officially racing as a bona-fide member of Team Toledo Triathlon Club. To the best of my knowledge these activities were conducted in full complaince with all USAT regulations and were reviewed by at least two USAT officials and one club officer prior to me being added to the club roster.

In an official e-mail originating from The Toledo Triathlon Club on Monday, August 29th, my name was officially included as a member and credit given for my inclusion in the team points competition as a legitimate member.

It is worth including that my associates at the race, including my fiance', were not extended an invitation to race on behalf of Team Toledo as they were not paid members of the club and no discussion of their inclusion in the club was discussed prior to the event.

Now, I have a question: Why is it so important to everyone? Please answer the question.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next